Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 539434 times)

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #1120 on: January 16, 2017, 10:45:50 pm »
Few weeks back on the bbc website,a sports lawyer said that for a contract and players registration to be ratified by fifa,it has to contain a clause so that the club is LEGALLY OBLIGED to release players for internationals.

Possibly, but it's not the club blocking him going Matip has decided himself. That clause would be negated in this case and I reckon we/he could sue under restraint if trade,

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1121 on: January 16, 2017, 10:51:45 pm »
I reluctantly understand the principle behind that, what I find frustrating is the volition of the player doesn't seem to be given any consideration. It's fucking scandalous.

It's also quite clearly restraint of trade and therefore legally worthless. Joel Matip has no contract with the Cameroon FA. They can no more order him to travel to Africa than they could anybody else. It is patently ridiculous. By taking this stance they are preventing him from doing his job for his legal employers. The fact that FIFA forces players to comply with this is not evidence in their favour. He would not be able to earn his living if they refused to ratify his registration, so he has no choice but to agree to their demands. That is clearly unfair and wouldn't stand up in any reasonable court. As an EU citizen, he has just about the most comprehensive employee rights on the planet. FIFA doesn't have the power to overrule that. FIFA is not above the law.

Compared to Bosman this is simple.

The only recourse FIFA might have is if Matip had not provided written notice that he wasn't going to be available for selection. Even that is unlikely to hold up in court, but it would then be an administrative matter rather than a contractual one.

I hope we, or someone else, does take this to court and we can put an end to this bullshit once and for all. A man has the right to decide whether he wants to play a game of football that it is not part of his job to play. The club are his employers and hired him in good faith to do a job. The Cameroon FA are not a party to Joel Matip's contract of employment, did not train or develop him and have no rights at all in the player.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1122 on: January 16, 2017, 10:51:53 pm »
Few weeks back on the bbc website,a sports lawyer said that for a contract and players registration to be ratified by fifa,it has to contain a clause so that the club is LEGALLY OBLIGED to release players for internationals. 
Cameroon didn't call him up and we didn't block him from going.  The whole thing is nonsense and I can understand us taking our chances and just playing him.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: January 16, 2017, 11:04:04 pm »
As someone alluded to on the last page, fifa should be shit scared at the prospect of a precedent being set in favour of players here. International football, and the pathetic friendlies they are forced to play, is a huge earner for fifa and national FAs.

Just make it clear, in writing, that we're playing Matip since they haven't been arsed to sort anything. And make it just as clear (as we have through the echo) that we're confident of resolving this legally if needed. I'd be delighted if we as a club could set a precedent that fucks international friendlies up even a little bit

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: January 16, 2017, 11:07:34 pm »
It's also quite clearly restraint of trade and therefore legally worthless. Joel Matip has no contract with the Cameroon FA. They can no more order him to travel to Africa than they could anybody else. It is patently ridiculous. By taking this stance they are preventing him from doing his job for his legal employers. The fact that FIFA forces players to comply with this is not evidence in their favour. He would not be able to earn his living if they refused to ratify his registration, so he has no choice but to agree to their demands. That is clearly unfair and wouldn't stand up in any reasonable court. As an EU citizen, he has just about the most comprehensive employee rights on the planet. FIFA doesn't have the power to overrule that. FIFA is not above the law.

The only recourse FIFA might have is if Matip had not provided written notice that he wasn't going to be available for selection. Even that is unlikely to hold up in court, but it would then be an administrative matter rather than a contractual one.

I hope we, or someone else, does take this to court and we can put an end to this bullshit once and for all. A man has the right to decide whether he wants to play a game of football that it is not part of his job to play. The club are his employers and hired him in good faith to do a job. The Cameroon FA are not a party to Joel Matip's contract of employment, did not train or develop him and have no rights at all in the player.
Yep, I agree entirely.

Offline Nelly82

• Main Stander
« Reply #1125 on: January 16, 2017, 11:22:36 pm »
The most highlighted part of this situation is FIFA's total incompetence. The buck passing pricks!

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: January 16, 2017, 11:26:38 pm »
Just seen on twitter (Chris Bascombe) that Matip would have been eligible to play for Cameroon in a world cup qualifier (after retiring) on 17th November 2015 but played for Schalke instead on 21st November. If Cameroon had rejected permission, he would have been ruled out to the 23rd so no issues previously- what has changed since?

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: January 16, 2017, 11:26:52 pm »

Well put.

You sort of think in a somewhat of a dream scenario that this farce ends ASAP, Cameroon FA publicly speaks out on this matter and from their part resolves it to Joel's wishes and lastly FIFA gets dissolved or this time around genuinely turned around for the better. 

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: January 16, 2017, 11:48:20 pm »
It's also quite clearly restraint of trade and therefore legally worthless.

I hope we, or someone else, does take this to court and we can put an end to this bullshit once and for all. A man has the right to decide whether he wants to play a game of football that it is not part of his job to play.

There's the crux of the argument, Liverpool take it to court and would most probably win, which would set a huge precedent and ramifications for World football. The problem is clubs rarely do and instead moan a little and get on with things.

Really wish they do threaten with legal action and destroy this inept organisation.

Offline 21

• Barrack-room Hutz
  • Kopite
« Reply #1129 on: January 17, 2017, 12:01:12 am »
The issue is money.

CFA see a golden opportunity here. If we were skint and or low profile like the Ev then it would be a non-issue.

In the western world it’d probably be called a bribe but in most of Africa it’s just business baby.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #1130 on: January 17, 2017, 12:56:51 am »
The only issue in relation to  court action would be the idea that international sporting competitions are worthwhile objective under EU law to allow for some derivations as seen with the transfer system, training compensation.
But any measures need to be proportionate to their aims.
In this case FIFA requiring players contacts to include clause requiring clubs to relase them for international duty does that, it protects the rights of players to represent their national team, however ti clearly a right to be conferred on players, to have the freedom to play international football, which clubs may prefer them not too.
However when a player makes it clear they don't want to play attempts to force them through coercion are in no way proportionate to the aim.
Quite simply I would like to see the club take this all the way through the courts and smash the smug useless FIFA.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #1131 on: January 17, 2017, 03:27:06 am »
I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED, to see FIFA's ineptness at the heart of all this confusion.
You've got it wrong, that suitcase full of donations shouldn't be heading towards Cameroon, it should be addressed to Zurich. Poor FIFA officials, they probably don't even know how to start any sort of procedure without envelopes of cash being strewn around the meeting room.

We made the mistake of assuming they work akin to any other corporation that provides a service towards clubs. I tell you what,  officials from our side also deserve part of the blame. We've already had firsthand experience on the way FIFA deals with these sorts of technical issues.  Why did we wait so long before determining their position? Why didn't we start sorting things out weeks, if not months ago, behind the scenes? Why did we not discuss things with the Cameroonian FA and reach a conclusion prior to this week?It feels like we almost dared Cameroon to include him, or not, before we thought of reacting to anything.  Being incredibly naive in these sorts of issues seems to be a recurring theme for us.

Quite frankly questions should be asked about the higher ups in the club. It's their responsibility to make sure our players are eligible to play and someone clearly messed up. FIFA have been consistent in the way they operate,  and relying on the Cameroonian FA to sort things out for us, the same FA that regularly has issues with player payments and generally requires a player strike before they pay, is like relying on an drug addict to deposit your cash in the bank.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:33:53 am by Doc Red »
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: January 17, 2017, 05:48:41 am »
It's in the rules.
Fair enough mate, sorry I realise that may have come across as me having a dig at you.

I'm just astounded if (as it seems) that's the actual rules.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:48 am »
Fair enough mate, sorry I realise that may have come across as me having a dig at you.

I'm just astounded if (as it seems) that's the actual rules.

Think everybody is with this whole situation. From what I've read if it's sorted in our favour he'll be cleared play if not we could have to wait for Cameroon to exit the competition

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1134 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:57 am »
If we can't play him then Cameroon should pay his wages for that period. How can we be expected to pay for a player we can't play?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: January 17, 2017, 07:02:00 am »
Would there be any consequences to our league position should Matip just play in this cup game come Wednesday?

Personally I'd just leave well alone, keep him away until it's absolutely safe to play him. We wouldn't want to win the league and then FIFA decide to deduct points because of this and end up costing us because that is the type of thing they'd do. With us being the big club, it'll be about setting an example and punishing us severely to make a point. 

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: January 17, 2017, 07:08:37 am »
Would there be any consequences to our league position should Matip just play in this cup game come Wednesday?

Personally I'd just leave well alone, keep him away until it's absolutely safe to play him. We wouldn't want to win the league and then FIFA decide to deduct points because of this and end up costing us because that is the type of thing they'd do. With us being the big club, it'll be about setting an example and punishing us severely to make a point.

different competitions, so the league should not be affected regardless (i think). absolute worst is we get expelled from the FA cup.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: January 17, 2017, 07:12:29 am »
The issue is money.

CFA see a golden opportunity here. If we were skint and or low profile like the Ev then it would be a non-issue.

In the western world it’d probably be called a bribe but in most of Africa it’s just business baby.

It's business as usual in first world countries as well. Look no further than FIFA.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:29 am »
I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED, to see FIFA's ineptness at the heart of all this confusion.
You've got it wrong, that suitcase full of donations shouldn't be heading towards Cameroon, it should be addressed to Zurich. Poor FIFA officials, they probably don't even know how to start any sort of procedure without envelopes of cash being strewn around the meeting room.

We made the mistake of assuming they work akin to any other corporation that provides a service towards clubs. I tell you what,  officials from our side also deserve part of the blame. We've already had firsthand experience on the way FIFA deals with these sorts of technical issues.  Why did we wait so long before determining their position? Why didn't we start sorting things out weeks, if not months ago, behind the scenes? Why did we not discuss things with the Cameroonian FA and reach a conclusion prior to this week?It feels like we almost dared Cameroon to include him, or not, before we thought of reacting to anything.  Being incredibly naive in these sorts of issues seems to be a recurring theme for us.

Quite frankly questions should be asked about the higher ups in the club. It's their responsibility to make sure our players are eligible to play and someone clearly messed up. FIFA have been consistent in the way they operate,  and relying on the Cameroonian FA to sort things out for us, the same FA that regularly has issues with player payments and generally requires a player strike before they pay, is like relying on an drug addict to deposit your cash in the bank.

When did we first start asking about this and how many times have we asked? Are you party to that information?  ::)
The club's statement says they've asked repeatedly, but got no answer. I remember this being discussed a few months ago. If it was discussed on here a few months ago, I'd be pretty confident the club were acting upon it a few months ago.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1139 on: January 17, 2017, 07:18:05 am »
What's the situation with Nyom at WBA?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:29 am »
When did we first start asking about this and how many times have we asked? Are you party to that information?  ::)
The club's statement says they've asked repeatedly, but got no answer. I remember this being discussed a few months ago. If it was discussed on here a few months ago, I'd be pretty confident the club were acting upon it a few months ago.

How were they acting upon it? Are you assuming they've been having negotations behind the scenes for months and the end result is we still lack any clarity on the situation? Or did they fire off a couple of emails and wait for a response? Why didn't they release statements to show the situation and put pressure on FIFA.  Even the response from FIFA makes it seem like we contacted them and they replied and that was that.
How inept do we ahve to be to actually have been in contact with FIFA for months, and not get any headway in something as simple as clarifying if Matip is available to play or not.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: January 17, 2017, 07:35:45 am »
How were they acting upon it? Are you assuming they've been having negotations behind the scenes for months and the end result is we still lack any clarity on the situation? Or did they fire off a couple of emails and wait for a response? Why didn't they release statements to show the situation and put pressure on FIFA.  Even the response from FIFA makes it seem like we contacted them and they replied and that was that.
How inept do we ahve to be to actually have been in contact with FIFA for months, and not get any headway in something as simple as clarifying if Matip is available to play or not.

As above, it's the exact same situation with West Brom. So they're inept aswell? Not the officials at Cameroon being utter ballbags?

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: January 17, 2017, 07:36:10 am »
The same

http://mobile.wba.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/wba-west-brom-cameroon-fa-fifa-3518553.aspx

Note that they state "The Baggies have made strenuous efforts all week to clarify Nyom’s eligibility to play at White Hart Lane."
I don't think any of the clubs were working on this behind the scenes for months. I'm willing to bet they waited to see if the players would be included into the final squads before deciding their next moves.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: January 17, 2017, 07:42:10 am »
Note that they state "The Baggies have made strenuous efforts all week to clarify Nyom’s eligibility to play at White Hart Lane."
I don't think any of the clubs were working on this behind the scenes for months. I'm willing to bet they waited to see if the players would be included into the final squads before deciding their next moves.

But that doesn't mean they didn't send an email or fax or whatever a few months ago. They would obviously have had to wait on the clearance after the squad announcement, which neither us nor West Brom have had. It shouldn't take this long, and it's the Cameroon officials dragging it out, not LFC or West Brom.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:19 am »
But that doesn't mean they didn't send an email or fax or whatever a few months ago. They would obviously have had to wait on the clearance after the squad announcement, which neither us nor West Brom have had. It shouldn't take this long, and it's the Cameroon officials dragging it out, not LFC or West Brom.

I understand where you're coming from, the Cameroonian FA and FIFA could have gotten this sorted out ages ago. But we knew this months ago, we knew we were in a grey area and we would be dealing with two entities that havea  track record of ineptness (and corruption). Heck, I'm sure some posters probably brought up this very scenario months ago on this thread, so why weren't we ready for it? We couldn't have sent an official to clarify this in Zurich months ago? We couldn't have done the same with the Cameroonian FA?
We couldn't have asked, asumming "XYZ", can we proceed with "ABC"?

We didn't need to be in the situation to start discussing hypotheticals months earlier. There were literally only two options, either the FA gave us permission or they didn't, and if they didn't either we could field him or we couldn't (or we field him and get punished for it). Yes, they're to blame, but so are we because we knew months ago we would be dealing with two inept entities and Matip was a player that was a big part of our team, and we didn't seem to make a lot of effort solving the issue in advance and only seem to have started things rolling over the latter few weeks or so. And the other clubs are also just as partial responsible as us. Heck, the Cameroonian national team seemingly goes into every world cup either on strike or threatening a strike due to their FA's false promises and gestures. If we're dealing with fish, we shouldn't be surprised if they like to get wet, and if we're dealing with monkeys, don't be surprised they want to climb trees. ;D

I'm ranting, but Liverpool as a club just seem to be naive when it comes to dealing with FIFA and Zurich. We assume everyone will do the right thing simply because they should.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:19 am »
I just don't get it. He's not in the squad and hasn't been for a while... yet all of sudden it's become an issue whether we can play him?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1147 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:16 am »
I just don't get it. He's not in the squad and hasn't been for a while... yet all of sudden it's become an issue whether we can play him?

Well it's not an issue when he's not in the squad, so of course it only becomes one when he's able to play.

I said it earlier in the thread, I really wouldn't mind betting this situation has been on going for a while now, and we used the high profile nature of the United game to being it into the public eye to put pressure on FIFA for an answer, when in reality it's probably unlikely (he was out a while and had only trained a few days) he was going to play a part.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1148 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:54 am »
what do you expect from Fifa. This is probably their deciding committee

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1149 on: January 17, 2017, 09:19:21 am »
6 more games he could miss they are not saying? Am I being overly simplistic or could LFC/FIFA Representative/Cameroon FA Representative no have a Video Conference or something and just go:

• He isn't in current Cameroon Squad
  • He has retired officially
  • What is the hold up and how do we sort it TODAY?

Whilst I am happy the club have made this public us just sitting waiting for a response is fucking shite, Cameroon FA are obviously useless!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1150 on: January 17, 2017, 09:35:46 am »
This has more to do with FIFA politics than anything. They don't want to upset African nations as a group by allowing this to easily be done.

The optics are a player who chose to play for an African country in the World Cup, declines when it comes to the African Cup. I would guess that if it was a European player declining to play in the Euros there would not be a problem.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #1151 on: January 17, 2017, 09:44:44 am »
6 more games he could miss they are not saying? Am I being overly simplistic or could LFC/FIFA Representative/Cameroon FA Representative no have a Video Conference or something and just go:

• He isn't in current Cameroon Squad
  • He has retired officially
  • What is the hold up and how do we sort it TODAY?

Whilst I am happy the club have made this public us just sitting waiting for a response is fucking shite, Cameroon FA are obviously useless!

Because there is no will to sort it from FIFA or Cameroon FA.

They are playing politics and are setting an example of not just Matip but any of the players who have refused to go to the ANC.

They see the tournament being devalued and don't like it. I don't believe they have the power to prevent a player carrying out his trade as his club is paying him but the only way forward is to test the water.

Play him and wait for a response. We appear to be doing that.

Blaming LFC is silly. We have no idea to what lengths they have gone to in order to solve the issue.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline No Way José

• Kopite
  • Hard as fuck - Not me, Wiggo
« Reply #1152 on: January 17, 2017, 10:08:19 am »
He should play for them, turn up, knock in 5 own goals and make sure he's never picked again.
Job done 😊
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. Except Polio

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1153 on: January 17, 2017, 10:16:59 am »
If FIFA has said it's not a matter for them and it's between us and Cameroon I don't see why he can't just play him. There's a Liverpool echo saying 'play in defiance of FIFA' but he wouldn't be playing in defiance of anything

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: January 17, 2017, 10:28:19 am »
I think the issue here is the ambiguity in the wording of "International retirement".

As I understand it there has to be agreement between the manager and the player that the player is no longer available for selection and Matip had that agreement with the last Cameroon manager after the falling out.  It seems that he doesn't have and never has had that agreement with the new manager and until he does he has to be available for selection.

Now I know he wasn't selected in the final 23 man squad but their manager was quite clear that he would object to him playing for his club whilst the tournament was on, hence why FIFA have said it's up to Cameroon to allow him to play or not. 

I doubt Cameroon will let it drop if he plays and I've no idea what penalties we might incur if he does but as an ex footy club secretary the rules are he's currently ineligible to play for us so expulsion from the competition he plays in, a points deduction if a league game, a ban and/or a fine are all possibilities.

Sure it could be challenged in court, course it's against European Human Rights but it's never been challenged before so we have no precedent to know what our chances are.

As a club are we prepared to be excluded from the FA Cup this and possibly next season?   Miss him possible for a few months with a ban?   Take a points deduction and miss out on European footy next season (if it's say 10 points)? 

It's a massive fuck up purely down to that international ruling.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: January 17, 2017, 10:41:31 am »
If FIFA has said it's not a matter for them and it's between us and Cameroon I don't see why he can't just play him. There's a Liverpool echo saying 'play in defiance of FIFA' but he wouldn't be playing in defiance of anything
Yeah, ok Jack.

Bringing your logic to our proceedings, this is FIFA mate.

Away with that sort of thing, taa.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1156 on: January 17, 2017, 10:43:03 am »

I think it's because it is not a FIFA issue until he plays, at which point it would then become their issue (potentially).

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: January 17, 2017, 10:43:58 am »

Matip has been in contact with the Cameroon boss on numerous occasions and the last I heard, he had wrote a letter to the Cameroon FA saying he wishes not to be selected. That there should have been the end of it. It's irrelevant of how long we've been in contact with FIFA for, Matip has been i contact with them for much longer, this issue has been going on for years. Why would we as a club think there would be a problem if Matip has said he wishes not to be called up an endless amount of times and even wrote to the fuckers?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: January 17, 2017, 10:47:56 am »
Can't the FA grow a pair ?

The only swift response you can expect from the FA is if Cameroon start screaming down the phone to dock us points, fine us and throw us out of whichever competitions Matip features in should we play him.  The FA fucking hate us.

On a side note, we're in the middle of a transfer window.  Klopp can arrange cover if he chooses.  To my mind a failure to land silverware this season will have very little to do with the absence of Matip should it happen.  Our season is far more pivotal on Mané and Coutinho imo. 

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: January 17, 2017, 11:08:59 am »
Matip has been in contact with the Cameroon boss on numerous occasions and the last I heard, he had wrote a letter to the Cameroon FA saying he wishes not to be selected. That there should have been the end of it. It's irrelevant of how long we've been in contact with FIFA for, Matip has been i contact with them for much longer, this issue has been going on for years. Why would we as a club think there would be a problem if Matip has said he wishes not to be called up an endless amount of times and even wrote to the fuckers?

Simply because the rules clearly indicate otherwise. If it was that simple, we wouldn't in this situation. It's been mentioned countless of times in this thread, a player cannot simply up and retire if their respective FA's choose not to accept it. Ridiculous as that may sound, that was, and is, the current rule. Just deciding we'd ignore all that and use common sense isn't going to fly, especially as we're dealing with two parties that have as much in common with common sense as I have in common with Common.