Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 218072 times)

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: Brendan Rodgers- New Celtic manager
« Reply #1640 on: May 27, 2017, 08:10:20 pm »
Even Gary Neville would've won that league as Celtic manager.

I guess he believes this will turn him into a world-famous manager or something  :wave Will enjoy him failing in the Champions League this autumn. Hope we'll draw them and batter them.
Linudden.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1641 on: May 27, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »
On paper, they don't have the players or the ability to attract top players in order to do something meaningful in Europe, such as reach the latter stages of the Champions League.

But I do wonder what this season has done for the confidence of these players and this club. There will be an aura of feeling invincible with the season they've had, and if they can carry that momentum into next season then I think Brendan can do one better and indeed take them far into Europe on that basis alone. It will be interesting to see.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1642 on: May 27, 2017, 08:14:46 pm »

I guess he believes this will turn him into a world-famous manager or something  :wave Will enjoy him failing in the Champions League this autumn. Hope we'll draw them and batter them.
You're a tit.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1643 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:11 pm »

why?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1644 on: May 27, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »

He's also the manager who's got us closest to winning the league in more than quarter of a century and played the most exciting football I've seen in my lifetime.  :wave

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1645 on: May 27, 2017, 08:19:24 pm »
What a way to end the season, brilliant from Brendan, so happy for him

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1646 on: May 27, 2017, 08:19:40 pm »
why?

Because I don't like how Brendan treated Stevie and the shambles that was the transfer market and the perennial excuses when he was here :wave Benching our captain and leader for our most important European match for half a decade was... astonishing. As for 2014 that was the "Suárez season" no more no less. The defence was in a complete shambles and cost us the league in spite of Suárez and Sturridge being fit and firing like crazy.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree to be honest. Thank goodness we have Klopp now  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:24:07 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1647 on: May 27, 2017, 08:20:44 pm »
Well done Brendan, really happy for him.

Only has good things to say about us and our club, that'll do for me.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1648 on: May 27, 2017, 09:06:33 pm »
Because I don't like how Brendan treated Stevie and the shambles that was the transfer market and the perennial excuses when he was here :wave Benching our captain and leader for our most important European match for half a decade was... astonishing. As for 2014 that was the "Suárez season" no more no less. The defence was in a complete shambles and cost us the league in spite of Suárez and Sturridge being fit and firing like crazy.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree to be honest. Thank goodness we have Klopp now  :)
So if that season was down to Suarez why did we not finish there every season he was at the club?

You're an idiot.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #1649 on: May 27, 2017, 09:10:05 pm »
I will take what Suarez had to say about Rodgers.

On paper, they don't have the players or the ability to attract top players in order to do something meaningful in Europe, such as reach the latter stages of the Champions League.

But I do wonder what this season has done for the confidence of these players and this club. There will be an aura of feeling invincible with the season they've had, and if they can carry that momentum into next season then I think Brendan can do one better and indeed take them far into Europe on that basis alone. It will be interesting to see.

Lennoxtown and the parkhead pitch are being upgraded. It seems we are finally doing what we should have been doing a while ago and recognising that the structure (YA) at Celtic is going to be far more important going forward as our ability to attract players becomes less. Coaching players to a higher level has to be priority and it seems it is now being made one.  We are also finally getting a proper indoor pitch for training in the winter. Scandalous we didn't already have one.

Watching us last season to this season is night and day. It was interesting to hear that when Brendan and Chris first arrived, they knew they didn't have time to coach the players the way they wanted to as we were straight into CL qualifiers so all they taught the team the first few months was pressing as a unit.  I thought overall (Barca game aside) we acquited ourselves well and didn't panic as we tended to do in European foottball when actually in possession. However, looking back, it makes sense that pressing was all they were taught for the first few months as the second half of the season our passing, protection of the ball and movement has been far better which has obviously come as a result of more coaching time. It wasn't particularly on show today which I put down to Aberdeen giving it a good go and not letting us have a second before they tired and our lot just wanting to get the job done and get over the line, but for someone who goes to the games, the difference in us from last season is unbelievable.

The confidence levels are clearly through the roof. Stuart Armstrong has always had ability, but now imposes himself on a game in a way I did not think he had in him. There are numerous other who have improved dramatically in the last year.

As ever, we are all worried about the qualifiers but there is a genuine hope we might do ourselves a bit of justice in Europe in the next couple of years.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:34:06 pm by ghirl67 »
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1650 on: May 27, 2017, 09:27:04 pm »
So if that season was down to Suarez why did we not finish there every season he was at the club?

You're an idiot.

I said I wanted to agree to disagree with those still liking Brendan. Please, stop  ::)

Look at the 2012-13 lineups from that autumn and come back and tell me what you made of that afterwards... heck without Suárez we'd been in the relegation zone at the end of November. Look at his goals/games ratio and that he basically seemed like the sole goalscorer all autumn... There would've been a massive struggle just to finish in the top 10 the two seasons before 2013-14 without Suárez. Even in 2011-12 when he missed everything he was in a class of his own in terms of establishing play in the opponent's half. What happened in 2013-14 was that he refrained from doing something stupid out of play for once and having a strike partner who miraculously stayed fit, both offering gaps for through balls from the midfield and it all ran from there. We still conceded at least 10 more than we should given how dominant we were in games that season though. I'm sure Brendan is a decent guy, but one swallow doesn't make a summer as a football manager and it's obvious that Steven wasn't happy with how he was treated in late 2014 and that's good enough for me.

It was the best for both parties that we parted ways and I'm glad we found someone more suitable for a club like Liverpool, especially in terms of having a big-club mentality  :wave Klopp just oozes confidence. To take a side to top four without a proper goal scorer and in spite of a ton of injuries is a marvellous feat.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:39:03 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: May 27, 2017, 09:39:58 pm »
Amazing season. Done on the 50 years anniversary of Lisbon as well.

Fairytale stuff.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1652 on: May 27, 2017, 09:45:54 pm »
Lost more games to teams from gibraltar than scotland this season, mad one that.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1653 on: May 27, 2017, 09:53:32 pm »
I said I wanted to agree to disagree with those still liking Brendan. Please, stop  ::)

Look at the 2012-13 lineups from that autumn and come back and tell me what you made of that afterwards... heck without Suárez we'd been in the relegation zone at the end of November. Look at his goals/games ratio and that he basically seemed like the sole goalscorer all autumn... There would've been a massive struggle just to finish in the top 10 the two seasons before 2013-14 without Suárez. Even in 2011-12 when he missed everything he was in a class of his own in terms of establishing play in the opponent's half. What happened in 2013-14 was that he refrained from doing something stupid out of play for once and having a strike partner who miraculously stayed fit, both offering gaps for through balls from the midfield and it all ran from there. We still conceded at least 10 more than we should given how dominant we were in games that season though. I'm sure Brendan is a decent guy, but one swallow doesn't make a summer as a football manager and it's obvious that Steven wasn't happy with how he was treated in late 2014 and that's good enough for me.

It was the best for both parties that we parted ways and I'm glad we found someone more suitable for a club like Liverpool, especially in terms of having a big-club mentality  :wave Klopp just oozes confidence. To take a side to top four without a proper goal scorer and in spite of a ton of injuries is a marvellous feat.
So you're just a contrary idiot?

Don't know why you're dragging Klopp into this, this thread is about Rodgers and just about sums up your opinion, fuck all to back it up with. You said that season was all about Suarez, so why didn't he do it in his other seasons?

Im assuming you were happy for Rafa to be sacked because of Gerrard's feelings too?
Lost more games to teams from gibraltar than scotland this season, mad one that.
A result that was celebrated by many on here.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:02:47 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1654 on: May 27, 2017, 10:26:54 pm »
You said that season was all about Suarez, so why didn't he do it in his other seasons?

Im assuming you were happy for Rafa to be sacked because of Gerrard's feelings too?

Autumn 2012 without Suárez: relegation fight-team with not even enough players in theory to cover a Europe-chasing team.
Autumn 2013 without Suárez: top seven team; back on par again.

Giving Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy away immediately for "pennies" was a bit of an exaggarated clearout. Brendan should've fought tooth and nail to keep at least two of them. A year later however Sterling's process along with a few good signings (for once with Brendan) turned the side into where it had been before. A few very good games gave confidence to the players and they rode that wave that entire magical spring. The main difference in 2014 compared to before was that Stevie smelled the title and started to play like it was 2008 again  ;D

Rafa? It was a dreadful sacking because Purslow wanted to prove a point. It was a horrific thing to do that set the club half a decade back at the time. We never know what the future had offered with Rafa, but I don't think we'd had a similar squad the autumn of 2012 with Rafa at the helm, that's for sure.

Besides, I don't think it's particularly nice to call a fellow Red an idiot because they have a different opinion on a former manager who divided the fanbase. I prefer we just move on now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:28:48 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:28 pm »
I really don't understand why some fans feel the need to always criticise rodgers no matter what.

That's the sign of a Hater. Always looking to point out a negative no matter what success someone has.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1656 on: May 27, 2017, 10:35:51 pm »
Besides, I don't think it's particularly nice to call a fellow Red an idiot because they have a different opinion on a former manager who divided the fanbase. I prefer we just move on now.
You've admitted You're basically taking up a contrary view to what anyone else is posting. You've shown cobtarary views to Gerrard's opinions about both Rodgers and Rafa and your shitty opinion about our ex-manager, who has been nothing but respectful about the club before and after his employment is nothing like a 'fellow red', idiot.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1657 on: May 28, 2017, 02:53:15 am »
Agreed, if he can have another summer of signings like the one just gone they can do a few things. I'd fancy them for a Europa run with a few more bodies and that crowd, though obviously that means fucking up a qualifier or finishing 3rd in the group first. The dislike is weird, never had a bad word to say about us, left behind some good players for Jurgen and gave us a season where you just had to laugh at how ridiculously good we were, he's a bit cheesy sometimes but harmless enough!

Yep. Could be better for them to have a proper go at the Europa rather than a valiant early exit in the champions league.

Ultimately, I'm not sure if sweeping everything in Scotland or doing a decent job in the English second tier does more for your CV / prospects of a premier league role, but winning them the way Rodgers has done, the football his teams play, unbeaten, will give him a bit more than other ex Celtic managers in recent times who have done nothing really since. 

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1658 on: May 28, 2017, 09:12:35 am »
That Gibraltar result is absolutely mental when you consider the entire season

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1659 on: May 28, 2017, 09:44:09 am »
Well done brendan! Would love to play them in the CL next season! Would be pretty fun.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1660 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:03 am »

Gerrard needed dropping at that stage.

He'd been pretty average at best that season

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1661 on: May 28, 2017, 10:19:20 am »
Fantastic season, well done to everyone involved and I'm glad to see Rodgers doing so well. Seems like Celtic is a good move for him after his mistakes at Liverpool, learn about winning trophies, learn in Europe and a chance to prove himself there for his next job, show he can build a club.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1662 on: May 28, 2017, 10:48:37 am »
What a fucking thick moron.

Well in Brendan, delighted for our former manager who served us with such great dignity and respect.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1663 on: May 28, 2017, 10:54:16 am »
If rodgers hadnt moved stevie on, Klopp certainly would've at the end of last season. He was pretty mediocre at times in his last season.

I was glad to see rodgers go but he deserves much credit for that season. He oversaw a great attacking team and some of the finest Liverpool football in my memory.

Offline Marcel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1664 on: May 28, 2017, 11:19:15 am »
Autumn 2012 without Suárez: relegation fight-team with not even enough players in theory to cover a Europe-chasing team.
Autumn 2013 without Suárez: top seven team; back on par again.

Giving Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy away immediately for "pennies" was a bit of an exaggarated clearout. Brendan should've fought tooth and nail to keep at least two of them. A year later however Sterling's process along with a few good signings (for once with Brendan) turned the side into where it had been before. A few very good games gave confidence to the players and they rode that wave that entire magical spring. The main difference in 2014 compared to before was that Stevie smelled the title and started to play like it was 2008 again  ;D

Rafa? It was a dreadful sacking because Purslow wanted to prove a point. It was a horrific thing to do that set the club half a decade back at the time. We never know what the future had offered with Rafa, but I don't think we'd had a similar squad the autumn of 2012 with Rafa at the helm, that's for sure.

I mean, there are arguments on both sides to be made regarding Rodgers coaching/transfers, but to say you're actively looking forward to his team failing is just unfair and spiteful. I hope Celtic do well in the CL next season.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: May 28, 2017, 04:54:11 pm »
Of all the reasons to dislike Rodgers the Gerrard one is hilarious to me.

Rodgers made every effort to get the most out of Gerrard while he was here. To the extent we almost got him a title with him at the heartbeat of the team. It's a tough when a career is at the end like that, but Rodgers did more for Gerrard than most would have been able to. Certainly couldn't see him in 13/14 fitting into a Rafa or Klopp team trying to win the title.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:28:05 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1666 on: July 21, 2017, 06:16:06 pm »

'Celtic's Invincibles' - Sky Sports documentary on their 2016/17 season... (48 mins long in 720p)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5tz4it

Well worth a watch this :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:21:30 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1667 on: August 2, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »
This is fucking disgusting.   Sectarian scum.

Good to see Celtic condemn it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40804531
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1668 on: August 2, 2017, 04:03:11 pm »
This is fucking disgusting.   Sectarian scum.

Good to see Celtic condemn it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40804531

Not really sure why Celtic felt the need to release a statement.  They are not responsible for a few drunken louts singing songs in the street.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #1669 on: August 2, 2017, 04:55:29 pm »
Not really sure why Celtic felt the need to release a statement.  They are not responsible for a few drunken louts singing songs in the street.
I would fully expect Liverpool to react in a similar fashion if our fans stooped to this level of scumbaggery. They are representatives of the club the moment they put that shirt on. As far as I know our club has always taken a strong stance on those awful Munich chants when they are sang by a minority of idiots. They were fined £20,000 in the past fortnight as well for displaying IRA banners in their clash with Linfield from NI in the CL. They need to be unequivocal in trying to stamp this sort of thing out and that's what the club is doing so credit must go to them.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2017, 04:57:43 pm by Purple Red »

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #1670 on: August 3, 2017, 03:22:41 am »
That was really awful.  Good on Celtic wasting no time taking action against it. 
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1671 on: August 5, 2017, 02:54:18 pm »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1672 on: August 5, 2017, 03:06:41 pm »
If Celtic go the season unbeaten again they should be allowed into the Championship  ;D
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: August 5, 2017, 03:16:11 pm »
If Celtic go the season unbeaten again they should be allowed into the Championship  ;D

Why?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1674 on: August 6, 2017, 11:21:09 pm »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1675 on: August 6, 2017, 11:27:07 pm »
kerfuffle...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/40839710

Had a look at what Rodgers said here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40833340

He was obviously asked a question about Hearts, given it was a pre match presser. I don't think there's much wrong with what he said. Daly just didn't like the fact his team got bummed. Having said that, I though Rodgers was a bit arrogant with the last sentence in your link. No need for that really.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: August 8, 2017, 09:15:44 pm »
Dishing out another smashing. Tierney with an amazing goal

https://streamable.com/xliy9

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1677 on: August 8, 2017, 11:19:23 pm »

Yeah, that's a ridiculous strike. I like Andy Robertson but hope we go in for Tierney if he ever decides he wants out of Celtic.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: August 8, 2017, 11:23:41 pm »

Great player. A real gem

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1679 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:34 am »
Some of the shite still spouted about the guy by our fans on social media is absolutely embarrassing.