Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 218078 times)

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brendan Rodgers- New Celtic manager
« Reply #1840 on: November 27, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »
No one knew about the meeting though it only came to light when we went to the media and said VVD favoured a move to us. I guess it was Rodgers fault that the Dempsey deal collapsed after an arm of FSG posted news that we had signed him.

How do you explain his success at Swansea and Celtic then ?

What Swansea success mate? Promotion? New managers promote clubs every year. As for Celtic, no point repeating it, since a lot of people have already mentioned what kind of weak league is there.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1841 on: November 27, 2017, 06:42:15 pm »
What Swansea success mate? Promotion? New managers promote clubs every year. As for Celtic, no point repeating it, since a lot of people have already mentioned what kind of weak league is there.

It's a weak league for sure, but here is the list of post-war managers who haven't won an undefeated domestic treble in Scotland:

Everyone bar Brendan Rodgers

Here is the list of managers who did:

Brendan Rodgers

You can only manage the players you have access to, and play against the teams you play against. O'Neill, McLeish, Walter Smith, Neil Lennon, Gordon Strachan, Ally McCoist, Graham Souness, Paul LeGuen, Wim Jansen all managed in the same weak league. In Souness' case, during a time when Rangers had ALL the money in Scotland. And nobody, except for Brendan Rodgers, went an entire domestic season undefeated. Those are the facts. He's done an excellent job up there, because he's an excellent coach.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1842 on: November 27, 2017, 08:09:52 pm »

You can only manage the players you have access to, and play against the teams you play against. O'Neill, McLeish, Walter Smith, Neil Lennon, Gordon Strachan, Ally McCoist, Graham Souness, Paul LeGuen, Wim Jansen all managed in the same weak league. In Souness' case, during a time when Rangers had ALL the money in Scotland. And nobody, except for Brendan Rodgers, went an entire domestic season undefeated. Those are the facts. He's done an excellent job up there, because he's an excellent coach.
Exactly.

IMO, he got the Liverpool job too soon, coupled with the lack of patience from many fans. He'd of been better off getting the Celtic job, then Liverpool.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: November 27, 2017, 08:34:22 pm »
The debate goes round and round, there's absolutely no need for anyone else to weigh in with the same old tosh.....so naturally I feel the need, here goes my 2 cents:

Pros:  Overall very good manager, smart guy and capable of engendering strong ties between teammates and amongst the squad for himself.  Firmly believe 2013/14 was an outstanding body of work that deserves our respect and admiration, because it was fucking fun while it lasted.  Walked into a messy situation and gave the supporters and squad belief and hope again.  Feel like a rank amateur (whats new) saying this but he didn't he help LFC get the most out of a fading force in Stevie?  Played Jose Enrique at LW.  Didn't make fun of Skrtel's tramp stamp.

Cons:  One of those breed of humans who need constant affirmation.  (it's not enough to do a good job, they require of a 3rd party the observation "good job!")  He comes across as attention seeking.  The few times he strayed from "ultimately meaningless but probably too-cocky blagging" into "if it's a positive chalk it up to me, if it's a negative that's down to the players" territory at LFC were the death of his reign here.  By the end we were getting badly beaten in matches and the fight was out of the squad. 

Summary:  Nice teeth if you're Bobby Firmino.  Likes the arts.  Loved a self-fashioned quote.  Can't help thinking he talked himself into being too big for his britches, that the players sensed and resented this, and that his personal makeover came at the exact wrong time.  And that the FSG wonk who green lit that documentary should be shot.  I've never been able to open the mail since without a grimace
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1844 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:41 pm »
The debate goes round and round, there's absolutely no need for anyone else to weigh in with the same old tosh.....so naturally I feel the need, here goes my 2 cents:

That post reeks of conformation-bias with no mention of his achievement at Celtic. Best leave that bit unsaid hey, it's a bit uncomfortable.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1845 on: November 27, 2017, 09:18:40 pm »
I'm not giving analysis, just opinions.
Redknapp would walk the Scottish League too and fill the cabinet with trophies. Trust me, they are very alike. Redknapp in fact has more significant trophies under his belt.

“Trust me...” Sorry, that sounds like David Brent!
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1846 on: November 27, 2017, 09:22:52 pm »
That post reeks of conformation-bias with no mention of his achievement at Celtic. Best leave that bit unsaid hey, it's a bit uncomfortable.

Thought my joking tone was clear but maybe not.  Hats off for what he's done in Scotland so far and hope he can make a CL run next year, or if he decides to leave I think he's worked himself back into contention for some big jobs.  Could see him going somewhere on the continent.

Anyway, rate the guy, just wanted to make some lame jokes on a slow Monday
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1847 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:53 pm »
I'm not giving analysis, just opinions.
Redknapp would walk the Scottish League too and fill the cabinet with trophies. Trust me, they are very alike. Redknapp in fact has more significant trophies under his belt.

Some people have the weirdest opinions :D

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1848 on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:05 pm »
Don’t want to shit on Rodgers achievements, he’s done really well at Celtic which needs congratulating,  but in what’s usually a two horse race, he’s benefited from Rangers recent relegation and current demise.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1849 on: November 27, 2017, 11:22:28 pm »
Not having the comparison with Redknapp, fucking hell are you mental?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1850 on: November 28, 2017, 01:08:07 am »

Opinions bereft of analysis, it's the way forward...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1851 on: November 28, 2017, 02:29:07 am »

I couldn't agree more  ;)

SLAVA
UKRAINI

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1852 on: November 28, 2017, 02:31:14 am »
“Trust me...” Sorry, that sounds like David Brent!

I have no problem with that. He's great human being of a man.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #1853 on: November 28, 2017, 03:17:11 am »
I think Rodgers has done a great job at Celtic making them into something quite formidable (unbeaten, crazy runs and all that). However, he's still piss poor in Europe. Yes, it's Cetlic, yes, he's come up against PSG and Barcelona etc but come on. Consistently 7-0, 7-1 thrashings etc is not good at all. He's on course to have the highest goals conceded in group stages, ever.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1854 on: November 28, 2017, 03:28:28 am »
It's a weak league for sure, but here is the list of post-war managers who haven't won an undefeated domestic treble in Scotland:

Everyone bar Brendan Rodgers

Here is the list of managers who did:

Brendan Rodgers

There is also an argument to be made that the Scottish league is currently weaker than ever with Rangers' recent troubles. But I'm no expert on Scottish football and you can only beat what is in front of you, so yes, he has done well there. Europe has still been a major disappointment, though he could rectify that with a good run in the EL this year.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1855 on: November 28, 2017, 03:39:16 am »
I think Rodgers has done a great job at Celtic making them into something quite formidable (unbeaten, crazy runs and all that). However, he's still piss poor in Europe. Yes, it's Cetlic, yes, he's come up against PSG and Barcelona etc but come on. Consistently 7-0, 7-1 thrashings etc is not good at all. He's on course to have the highest goals conceded in group stages, ever.

Would he be considered piss-poor if he gets Celtic into the latter rounds of the Europa, though? I'm not sure he has been piss-poor per se, given the massive difference in budgets between Celtic and the teams he's been hammered by. He could maybe play a different game against the big guns, but he'd still get beat. I think he probably reckons that if he's on a hiding to nothing, he'd be happier doing it his way than swaying from his ideals.

I don't think he was good in Europe with us at all, to start with, but his big problem was he kept changing his game plan from pure possession domination to defensive football, which didn't suit him at all. This time, with Celtic, he's just going all out attack, and yes, the big guns are slaughtering Celtic (as they should - it's the equivalent of Liverpool smashing Dagenham & Redbridge), but they've also put themselves in a fantastic position to have European football after Christmas. I think he's doing reasonably well for now in Europe given that his entire squad cost less than Neymar alone.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1856 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:44 am »
There is also an argument to be made that the Scottish league is currently weaker than ever with Rangers' recent troubles. But I'm no expert on Scottish football and you can only beat what is in front of you, so yes, he has done well there. Europe has still been a major disappointment, though he could rectify that with a good run in the EL this year.

It's definitely weaker, you're not wrong. But my point is that Gordon Strachan, for example, or Neil Lennon, had better players than Rodgers has available (Van Dijk in defence, Forster in goal, Wanyama in midfield at various points), and Souness had half the England team, while Smith had a good number of Dutch players, while O'Neill had Larsson, Sutton, Alan Thompson, Neil Lennon, Bobo Balde, Didier Agathe on his books, and none of those teams went not only a league season unbeaten, but both cups as well. Dismissing the Scottish league is one thing, but people saying the unbeaten domestic treble is easy because it's Scotland goes against the history of the game, where few invincible seasons are recorded at all. He's doing very well up there - it beggars belief why anyone would want to detract from that.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1857 on: November 28, 2017, 04:16:39 am »
The thing is, he's gone unbeaten in the weakest, most noncompetitive period of Scottish football in living memory.

Celtic will have to do well in the Europa League this year if he wants another high profile job. I can definitely agree with an earlier poster that he should've gone to Celtic first and learnt how to win trophies, and then come to Liverpool, but hindsight eh.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #1858 on: November 28, 2017, 04:17:00 am »
It's definitely weaker, you're not wrong. But my point is that Gordon Strachan, for example, or Neil Lennon, had better players than Rodgers has available (Van Dijk in defence, Forster in goal, Wanyama in midfield at various points), and Souness had half the England team, while Smith had a good number of Dutch players, while O'Neill had Larsson, Sutton, Alan Thompson, Neil Lennon, Bobo Balde, Didier Agathe on his books, and none of those teams went not only a league season unbeaten, but both cups as well. Dismissing the Scottish league is one thing, but people saying the unbeaten domestic treble is easy because it's Scotland goes against the history of the game, where few invincible seasons are recorded at all. He's doing very well up there - it beggars belief why anyone would want to detract from that.

Dick Advocaat was a manager up there for a while as well.

Did the squad cost less than Neymar? That could still be quite a lot. How about less than Pogba?  ;)
We are Liverpool!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1859 on: November 28, 2017, 04:24:45 am »
Dick Advocaat was a manager up there for a while as well.

Did the squad cost less than Neymar? That could still be quite a lot. How about less than Pogba?  ;)

Well the Celtic squad seems to be valued at 50 million. Pogba surely must have cost United two Mars bars and a bag of nectarines at least. So I'm not sure, actually.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1860 on: November 28, 2017, 04:27:56 am »
The thing is, he's gone unbeaten in the weakest, most noncompetitive period of Scottish football in living memory.

Celtic will have to do well in the Europa League this year if he wants another high profile job. I can definitely agree with an earlier poster that he should've gone to Celtic first and learnt how to win trophies, and then come to Liverpool, but hindsight eh.

More noncompetitive than when Rangers weren't even in the Premier League?

It's not about the competitiveness of the league - it's the managerial and coaching acumen to keep a team consistently maintaining a high standard over the course of what is now 64 games unbeaten. He's doing something right to keep those players focused, fit, hungry, and well away from complacency. And that's the same for any manager, in any league.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1861 on: November 28, 2017, 05:32:24 am »
More noncompetitive than when Rangers weren't even in the Premier League?

It's not about the competitiveness of the league - it's the managerial and coaching acumen to keep a team consistently maintaining a high standard over the course of what is now 64 games unbeaten. He's doing something right to keep those players focused, fit, hungry, and well away from complacency. And that's the same for any manager, in any league.

Again, agreed - but he won't earn any chops or brownie points to get a job in the big leagues again even if he takes Celtic to a 500 game unbeaten streak (exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

As someone else mentioned, he'd have to do REALLY well in the Europa or find a way to progress to the knockout of the Champions League to earn respect.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1862 on: November 28, 2017, 06:09:10 am »
He's probably at Celtic for 5 years. I think that would be enough time for one good run deep into a European competition (probably the Europa, for sure. If he took Celtic to the semis of the CL, he could probably walk into almost any job on the planet lol)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1863 on: November 28, 2017, 08:45:20 am »
The man is a class act. Never understood why Liverpool fans made it a personal vendetta to criticize everything he did.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CelticGoals/status/934835503739953152/video/1

And I never understand why he's so revered on RAWK. Works both ways I spose :D

Although it is the only LFC site that does seem to hold him in such high esteem.  I just find it all very odd, cos apart from a fun few months one season, he did more harm than good considering the massive amounts of money he spent on building what was a bloated and pretty medicore squad.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1864 on: November 28, 2017, 11:08:42 am »

He’s also on course to get them into the Europa League at least. If they continue to get hammered there then it will be a more valid criticism but that looks more their current level and a chance to win a round or two possibly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:11:57 am by Les Shooter NickGavin »

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: November 28, 2017, 12:52:50 pm »
I still don't really get why so many reds are so reluctant to give Rodger's his due, or at least a bit of credit now he's left. For me, he's an impressive manager and coach - never afraid to innovate, try something new, give one of the kids a chance. I think he had a greater understanding of the tactical aspects of the game than many give him credit for. Much of the success of THAT season can be chalked up to both Rodgers' man-management of sub-standard players (Cissokho and [to a lesser extent] Flanno for example) and his tactical flexibility. I think PoP (brilliant to see you back btw) mentioned earlier in the thread about Rodgers' seeing the game as 10 sets of 1v1s. This is a great observation and, building on this, it was his willingness to switch formation - often multiple times in a game, to differing degrees - which lead to the management of space, overloading weak areas in opposition territory.

After our attack was decimated, however, I feel that something new got mixed into his managerial process with us: fear. He became too conservative, too possession-based. He wasn't willing to take the risks, or to let a player play themselves into form. Despite all the early talk of 'tiki-taka', I see more similarities in Rodgers' early Liverpool career with Klopp's Dortmund than I do with Pep's Barcelona. The explosiveness, the focus on transitional play, the speed and urgency of an attack, the importance of a high-energy press in the final third (typified by Hendo). For me, the huge difficulty in replicating the previous season's form after such a morale-crushing finale and the impossibility of replacing a key striker like Suarez (something which only looks like we've only managed to rectify, in part, a few months ago) suffocated the expressiveness of his Liverpool team, and eventually, his own managerial style. We began to play to a poor man's 'possession football' template which was unsuited to the technical abilities of much of our players (who specialised, in the main, in explosiveness and vertical play). We began to play 'death by football', as Rodgers' had originally intended, but it was us who suffered from it.

Maybe this is because he came too soon in his career, as others have suggested. I'm not sure. I'm certainly glad he came here and he gave me the most enjoyable season of footy I've had the pleasure of experiencing. I'm not sure many other managers would have fared much better in the circumstances.

Something that does rub me up the wrong way when our fans tend to talk about Rodgers though, is this fucking 'David Brent' stuff. First off, you're doing the Mancs work for them so well in lads.

Also: does anyone else remember that interview he did with Redmen tv when he first came? It was meant to be a 10-20 minute little chat or something, but he stayed for a couple of hours and they uploaded it all on the internet. It was insightful, interesting. I learned something from it, and you could tell he enjoyed communicating his views and his knowledge. He loved talking about football, he loved expressing his thoughts on it. He liked being able to express himself well. Now, anyone who talks at any length on any subject, and attempts to do so in a coherent and intelligent way, will invariably come up with some guff from time to time (I'm sure this comment has its fair share). It's the inverse of the 'stuck clock tells the right time twice a day' truism. It's one of the reasons most English managers don't give more than a terse sentence of so in an interview - they don't want to look 'soft' for expressing themselves, or risk saying the wrong thing that one time. Rodgers had the balls to put himself out there, speak in an engaging and intelligent manner, and the fact that he could make a meal of it now and again got jumped on, unsurprisingly, by opposition fans. Our own fans too, more surprisingly. Here was a man who represented the club with class, who understood its value as an institution, and who (to my mind) helped restore some of its prestige after the nightmare of Hodgson and the sour taste left over following Kenny's treatment at the helm.

I will always have time for Rodgers, because he seems like a decent football man. I'll keep a close eye on him in Scotland, because I enjoy how his team plays. I'll keep a closer eye still when he makes his next move to one of Europe's bigger leagues. And I anticipate he'll close out his managerial career, some decades from now, being held in much higher regard than some on here might think.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1866 on: November 28, 2017, 02:28:56 pm »
And I never understand why he's so revered on RAWK. Works both ways I spose :D

Although it is the only LFC site that does seem to hold him in such high esteem.  I just find it all very odd, cos apart from a fun few months one season, he did more harm than good considering the massive amounts of money he spent on building what was a bloated and pretty medicore squad.

People probably seem over the top in their praise of Rodgers because there's people on the other end of the spectrum, like yourself, who very inaccurately boil Rodgers' reign down to "a fun few months."  :butt
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1867 on: November 28, 2017, 02:32:45 pm »
He's a fantastic coach, I really think he'd thrive and become absolutely top notch in Spain or Italy, as the DoF would be negotiating for players and contracts etc, to leave Brendy to what he's best at, coaching entertaining attacking football, my best mate is a Celtic diehard and he even though O'Neill got them to a European final, he says Rodgers is the best manager he's seen there in his lifetime, purely for his reluctance to deviate from entertainment, it's hard to disagree, he has won every domestic trophy so far in his tenure at Celtic, if it is so easy, why wasn't Ronny Delia doing it?

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1868 on: November 28, 2017, 02:39:35 pm »
I'm pretty neutral on Rodgers. I don't really like him but I don't dislike him either to be honest. I think he's a decent enough coach, but I'm often seeing him being mentioned for the likes of Arsenal and Atletico and that's fanciful in the extreme. He's done good work in Scotland but they're getting the shit kicked out of them in the Champions League on a regular basis. He's done nothing to merit another chance at a massive club at this point. He should be aiming for a role at a midtable Premier League side like Southampton or Stoke next, I think that's a fair reflection on his current ability.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1869 on: November 28, 2017, 02:46:03 pm »
I'm pretty neutral on Rodgers. I don't really like him but I don't dislike him either to be honest. I think he's a decent enough coach, but I'm often seeing him being mentioned for the likes of Arsenal and Atletico and that's fanciful in the extreme. He's done good work in Scotland but they're getting the shit kicked out of them in the Champions League on a regular basis. He's done nothing to merit another chance at a massive club at this point. He should be aiming for a role at a midtable Premier League side like Southampton or Stoke next, I think that's a fair reflection on his current ability.

It’s probabky the only way he’ll get some credit. As Flacido said, I know a couple of Celtic fans who unsurprisingly love him. It’s one thing saying there’s no competition (which is fair!) but he’s completely outshining what the last couple of managers did there which is still worthy of some credit.

I’d say the wider perception has been set here that the 13/14 season was all Suarez and he’s a bit of a joke figure. You can bet if he did even get a job at a mid tier top flight side as mentioned there would probably be criticism from a fair chunk of their fans. Think the shout to go to somewhere abroad next would be good. That said Steve Mckaren won the league with Twente and still only gets remembered for the comedy accent!

Offline _00_deathscar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1870 on: November 28, 2017, 02:57:19 pm »
It’s probabky the only way he’ll get some credit. As Flacido said, I know a couple of Celtic fans who unsurprisingly love him. It’s one thing saying there’s no competition (which is fair!) but he’s completely outshining what the last couple of managers did there which is still worthy of some credit.

I’d say the wider perception has been set here that the 13/14 season was all Suarez and he’s a bit of a joke figure. You can bet if he did even get a job at a mid tier top flight side as mentioned there would probably be criticism from a fair chunk of their fans. Think the shout to go to somewhere abroad next would be good. That said Steve Mckaren won the league with Twente and still only gets remembered for the comedy accent!

He's blowing Scotland away, but again, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. He needs respect in Europe - be it Champions League, or even the UEFA Cup. I know he's been handed a tough group (Barcelona last season, PSG and Bayern this) but that's where top managers really cut their teeth. Or at the very least give it a go. Atletico Madrid might get knocked out this season despite being favourites to go through. Napoli are struggling to go through as well, as are Sevilla. Dortmund have been thrown out by Tottenham, Monaco are out already.

Being humped 7-0 by Barcelona and PSG does nothing for your reputation no matter how many consecutive wins/unbeaten runs/trophies you notch up in Scotland. He'll need a deep UEFA Cup run.

Having said that, his next appointment really should be abroad - Spain or Italy preferably (or hell...put himself up for the Dortmund job see if they bite?) and try to take a decent sized team there to real success.

To those saying that he's a fantastic/excellent/world-class (insert hyperbole here), possibly. Maybe. At its very best, his teams do show a bit of attacking flair. But his team defends like imbeciles. He needs to surround himself with the right people so they can sort out the defence.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1871 on: November 28, 2017, 03:04:32 pm »
I think he's a He should be aiming for a role at a midtable Premier League side like Southampton or Stoke next, I think that's a fair reflection on his current ability.
the last three who did something in Europe were O’Neill who next went to a villa team that was shite (and O’Neill was excellent at Leicester winning 2 league cups and lost a final from memory), strachan went to championship boro after they got relegated and was crap there and Lennon went to the Bolton basket case, and they either got to the CL knockouts or in O’Neill’s case uefa cup final (and they had a good rangers to deal with)so if he wants a top club after Celtic he’d need a ridiculous CL run, for a second/third tier side (bvb, Sevilla, lyon) he would need something big, outside a benfica or Ajax type club I can’t see him getting a job anywhere near Liverpool level after Celtic barring amazing European form

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1872 on: November 28, 2017, 03:10:58 pm »

The wider perception of a joke figure has nothing to do with his tactics/management or any other on-field issue. It is mostly because rival fans made a meme out of his post-match and other quotes. Which admittedly were a bit cringe at times.

Also, pro-Rodgers fans say that the post-Suarez season fuck up was because the club didn't recruit correctly to replace the goals, which is absolutely true. But I think, we massively underperformed considering the talent we did have at our disposal and that is on Rodgers.

Anyway, he is a pretty fantastic coach, no doubt. I am sure with some more experience, he would be vying for the top jobs. But as someone mentioned earlier, that is not going to happen if he stays at Celtic. He needs to perform in a stronger league or at least do well in Europe with Celtic.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1873 on: November 28, 2017, 03:19:38 pm »
During the times that you speak of, was the Scottish League as weak as it is today? I don't follow Scottish football at all, hence asking.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1874 on: November 28, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »

The thing about his approach in that campaign was that he was so fearless.  About February time, just as the race was really heating up, he brings Sterling into the middle and gave him the car keys to run the attack as a no. 10, and he was brilliant in those home games vs Arsenal, City, etc.  All these sides preparing for us with Suarez just off Sturridge, or Coutinho as a 10.  Nah, fuck that, let's see how you deal with this.

That fucking Chelsea game will haunt me for years to come.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1875 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:35 pm »
The thing about his approach in that campaign was that he was so fearless.  About February time, just as the race was really heating up, he brings Sterling into the middle and gave him the car keys to run the attack as a no. 10, and he was brilliant in those home games vs Arsenal, City, etc.  All these sides preparing for us with Suarez just off Sturridge, or Coutinho as a 10.  Nah, fuck that, let's see how you deal with this.

Don’t set me off again! Not sure how I’ll ever get over that.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1876 on: November 28, 2017, 09:01:56 pm »
Scottish football has never been at a lower ebb. Celtic are having it really easy. That said, I think Rodgers is doing a great job. Essentially Celtic are, like all Scottish teams these days, a selling club. It's rare that a year goes by without them selling their best players. It's his job to keep the production line going and keep the money coming in from these sales while still trying to compete in Europe.

Next season they will lose Tierney for sure. I know I'd have him at Anfield, but I reckon we're maybe a year too late for that now. That money will keep them well ahead of the pack up here for another couple of years at least. Kinda depressing in a way.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1877 on: November 28, 2017, 10:03:56 pm »
During the times that you speak of, was the Scottish League as weak as it is today? I don't follow Scottish football at all, hence asking.
No, not really. But put it this way - the premier league is a lot weaker than when Arsenal went unbeaten - if another team went unbeaten today, would it significantly diminish the achievement? Not by any meaningful amount. In the same way, sure Scottish football isn't that strong, but its still an incredible achievement to win every domestic trophy going without losing a game.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1878 on: November 28, 2017, 10:37:00 pm »

Great post.

I share your agony, of course!

But what a season. I stand astonished at any Red who can now shrug their shoulders at the brilliance that was served up. They’ve obviously seen much better footy than I have.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: November 28, 2017, 10:47:11 pm »
No, not really. But put it this way - the premier league is a lot weaker than when Arsenal went unbeaten - if another team went unbeaten today, would it significantly diminish the achievement? Not by any meaningful amount. In the same way, sure Scottish football isn't that strong, but its still an incredible achievement to win every domestic trophy going without losing a game.

Its a phenomenal achievement it really is.  It's fantastic man management for me. Keeping those players focused for every single game. Brilliant management, There's no question they are streets ahead of the other teams in terms of talent, but s every football fan knows, you need a lot more than talent to put a very long run together.
Add to that that the football is cracking to watch, and its even better, Good for him