Author Topic: Dark Souls III  (Read 7533 times)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dark Souls III
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:37:23 am »

So then...who's looking forward to this?  :lickin   :wave

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lza5ZIWzEBY?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Lza5ZIWzEBY?fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: March 1, 2016, 07:19:04 am by Living Legends »

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dark Souls III
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:01 am »
can't wait, april's gonna be a busy month with this and uncharted coming out in the space of a couple of weeks

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:32:01 pm »
can't wait, april's gonna be a busy month with this and uncharted coming out in the space of a couple of weeks

Yeah, I've stayed away from all spoilers so far. Only watched the released trailers. Roll on April \o/  :wave

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »
been released in japan, there's quite a few streams on ps4 so watched one for 5 mins and it looks good, more of the same, not watching any more than that as i don't want to spoil anything

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:35:08 pm »
been released in japan, there's quite a few streams on ps4 so watched one for 5 mins and it looks good, more of the same, not watching any more than that as i don't want to spoil anything
Yeah, I've been really tempted to watch Peeve playing it on twitch, but I haven't watched any of it. I remember someone saying I wish I could play Dark Souls for the first time again a few years ago. I thought yeah that would be cool. So I shall wait, even though I can't wait!  ;D

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2016, 09:33:23 pm »
The reviews are out for this now and it's scoring well, apart from Polygon with pretty much the only average review so far.

Game Informer = 9.25

IGN = 9.5

Jimquisition = 8

Gamespot = 8

Eurogamer = Essential

Polygon = 7

Polygon's take on the performance issue...

Perhaps the most disappointing part of Dark Souls 3 is that it is a complete technical mess — at least in the debug PlayStation 4 version that we played. We were playing a final build with the day-one patch applied, but the game still consistently ran terribly, with the frame rate stuttering and frequently dipping into or near the single digits across a variety of areas. We've also received a report of at least one repeatable crashing bug that Bandai Namco says will be patched soon after release.

While Dark Souls 3 has vastly improved on the lengthy loading times that plagued Bloodborne, it's hard to feel like it was worth this trade-off. And while we weren't able to test the game on Xbox One or Windows PC, the former of those two platforms reportedly has issues of its own. The frame rate problems never detracted from my overall enjoyment of the game, but it was discouraging to see such a beautiful game made to run like sludge.

We'll continue testing the game on new platforms and as patches are applied, and will update the review if these technical issues are improved.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 4, 2016, 09:58:25 pm »
Can't wait. I won't have a clue what's going on in the story, as always, but the gameplay is going to be fantastic.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2016, 09:59:58 pm »
I'll have to wait until Thursday next week before I can play it due to work! Sucks  :'(

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 7, 2016, 05:18:36 pm »
I'm on nights so it's the 24 hour asda on the way home then back to work Tuesday night with matchsticks in my eyes

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 7, 2016, 06:28:58 pm »
I'm on nights so it's the 24 hour asda on the way home then back to work Tuesday night with matchsticks in my eyes

;D You'll be well ahead of me then!
I better figure out how to use spoiler tags as we proceed!
Spoiler alert "I Died, A Lot"!  :D

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2016, 10:44:03 pm »

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 12:03:38 pm »
Getting off work at 16:00 so I'll be straight to bed and up for the midnight download.

:D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 07:03:29 pm »
Now that's commitment! Enjoy  :wave

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 07:06:39 pm »
Bought on Steam. When will it be available in the UK?
Edit* pre-loading now. Will be available at 11pm tonight.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:08:44 pm by Twelfth Man »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 06:54:01 am »
Finished work at 6, called in at a 24 hour tesco and no sign of it so went thee asda, got it on the shelves but temporarily unavailable so got to leave the house now when I get ul

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 07:48:32 am »
Would love to have the day off to sink some hours into this.  Roll on home time, looking forward to dying many times!

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 10:58:55 am »
Buying it on the way home tonight, can't wait. Still yet to finish one, but hopefully this is the time!
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 12:32:51 pm »
Buying it on the way home tonight, can't wait. Still yet to finish one, but hopefully this is the time!

If you ever need or want help to finish Dark Souls give me a shout! :wave

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 01:29:52 pm »
Trying to play this with the Steam controller. Fuck it is impossible. Also the great quick fighting mechanics of Bloodborne now makes this feel ponderous, slow and frankly boring. Also the PC version on my 4K rig looks fucking shit. Tempted to get a refund.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:31:44 pm »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I've died

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 02:32:02 pm »
If you ever need or want help to finish Dark Souls give me a shout! :wave

Cheers bro will do
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

;D How many seconds/minutes did you last?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 04:39:44 pm »

Haha, was it the dude with the samurai sword outside the shrine?  Fucker killed me a few times and I didn't get much reward when I finally beat him.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:29 pm »
And just had my first death!

Spoiler
Made it to the Shrine without dying, but I went up the hill and this naked dude killed me. For some reason there was grey clouds not letting me walk out the shrine again after that, so couldn't go get my souls back. Bugger
[close]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 06:02:28 pm »
Spoiler
For some reason there was grey clouds not letting me walk out the shrine again after that, so couldn't go get my souls back. Bugger
[close]
I think that's just a loading thing.  The fog disappears after 30 seconds or so.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 06:43:07 pm »
Also the great quick fighting mechanics of Bloodborne now makes this feel ponderous, slow and frankly boring.
Can't comment on the game itself 'cause I haven't played it, but I'm very interested in From's subtle changes to the winning formula. I suppose Souls diehards will welcome a return to what they know, patient cautious play with shields held close for dear life, but I'd like to see them add new elements that give the gameplay a novel flavour each time - Bloodborne is obviously very similar to its predecessors, but also strikingly different when you get down to it.

Anyone notice anything new in there, other than improved visuals?
"under-promise and over-deliver"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 07:08:36 pm »
Stylistically it feels closer to Bloodborne than a Souls game to me.  Hopefully the environments will broaden in palette, but for now it very much has that "hewn from rock" eternal greyness that made Bloodborne rather dull to wander round in.

Mechanically it's more Souls-esque and certainly doesn't have the super quick dodging that made Bloodborne relatively easy.  I've already come up against some knights who kick your arse if you're not very careful and the enemies seem to track your rolls a lot better than in previous games, making evasion all the more tricky.  That'll probably come with practice though, given the new timing windows.

Spoiler
Another area that makes it feel like Bloodborne is the weird infected enemies that transform into monstrous versions of themselves.  That was kinda cool in the Sony exclusive but I'm not sure about seeing it in a Souls game.  Again, I've only played an hour or so, so the story beats will almost certainly get me on board with it, but for now I'm reserving judgement.
[close]

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 07:27:19 pm »
Haha, was it the dude with the samurai sword outside the shrine?  Fucker killed me a few times and I didn't get much reward when I finally beat him.

no, i saw him before i went in the shrine but saw a warning message so swerved it

Spoiler
first death was just one of those unarmed undead things that transforms, was on top of a tower with a few other undead plus an enemy with a crossbow and fire bolts, i made a beeline for the crossbowman and was too slow to react when the undead transformed and got my arse handed to me
[close]

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »
Sick I have to wait till Thursday  :'(

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 11:24:25 pm »
Spoiler
Keep getting twatted by those knights with the shields after the dragon shows up. They're a real twat, not got the dodging down yet and my shield is useless against them
[close]

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 12:03:19 am »
Spoiler
Keep getting twatted by those knights with the shields after the dragon shows up. They're a real twat, not got the dodging down yet and my shield is useless against them
[close]
Same. It is a lot tougher then DS2.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 09:41:39 am »
Spoiler
[close]
Absolute fuckers.

Spoiler
They're as tough as the Black Knights from DS1, but at least they didn't respawn.  Having these guys in my way every time I come back is eating through my Estus Flasks chronically!
[close]

At least I've just found an Estus Shard so have 1 more use of my health juice.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:57 am »
Managed to get a Warrior, Knight and Herald up to the 5th bonfire. Only encountered the initial boss so far. Though not opened all the doors (shortcuts). I think I like the strength builds best. Went Harry Potter glass cannon last time around (loved them lightning spears). Think I'll go traditional up close and dirty this time around... The Steam controller after much configuring actually does work rather well with this game, however 360 turns are still an issue but the shear programmability of the thing is a joy.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 11:27:44 am »
Same. It is a lot tougher then DS2.

Absolute fuckers.

Spoiler
They're as tough as the Black Knights from DS1, but at least they didn't respawn.  Having these guys in my way every time I come back is eating through my Estus Flasks chronically!
[close]

Glad i'm not the only one   ;D  Just been dumping all my souls in health so far, got it to 18 as a knight

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 11:40:21 am »
Absolute fuckers.

Spoiler
[close]

The Knight.
Spoiler
He loves cramped spaces to attack. Goad him back up the stairs where the bonfire is. Much easier to fight him up there. He also drops some decent Knight armour.
[close]

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:42:18 am by Twelfth Man »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 11:55:29 am »
Glad i'm not the only one   ;D  Just been dumping all my souls in health so far, got it to 18 as a knight
I'm still at 15 on health for my knight build.  Found a Broadsword so I've been driving up my Strength stat instead.  I want to be able to hit these fuckers like a monster.  :D

Also nudged my Dex to 14 so I can use a bow.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 11:57:15 am »
I'm still at 15 on health for my knight build.  Found a Broadsword so I've been driving up my Strength stat instead.  I want to be able to hit these fuckers like a monster.  :D

Am doing something similar. Found a Claymore. Not started upgrading any weapons yet.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »

I sold my broadsword! Been upgrading my long sword instead.

Is there anything more terrifying than entering a room you think is empty, and seeing tons of blood spats on the floor  ;D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 12:49:03 pm »
Not having much bother with the bog standard enemies, that first knight killed me first time I fought him but got him sussed now, got as far as some big fat fucker with little feathery fairy wings who's ruined me a couple of times but gonna blame that on working Monday night and having about 4 hours sleep yesterday ;) 

gonna have a good session today cos won't get much time tomorrow with the match