Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2025658 times)

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #13360 on: April 24, 2021, 04:04:31 pm »
My mind has changed on a lot of issues this season, and I now appreciate Firmino more than ever before, despite his struggles. None of our forwards are on top of their game right now. Salah’s impressive record and potential golden boot this season disguise the fact that he misses 9 clearcut chances out of 10, and he can’t hit a barnyard door with a barge pole in a knock out game when we really need him to score.  So maybe some rest and a stint in the Europa League will do them all some good, Bobby included. In fact, I’d sooner sell Salah than Bobby. Bearing the Crystal Palace performance in mind, Salah’s goals in that game were not essential but Bobby’s and Minamino’s certainly were. Bobby is the player with the most harmonious effect on the team, and that to me is worth more than a forward’s golden boot in a season where the team wins nothing and fails to finish in the top 4.

I'll have some of what you're having

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #13361 on: April 24, 2021, 04:04:35 pm »
Yeah how dare anyone point fingers at our #9 who has 15 goals in his last 68 PL games and has contributed to our awful form over the last 15 games or so.

This is the problem with individual analysis - it is the disease that says:  "if only we replace this one baddie over here, everything will be alright".  This is not the case.

Bobby creates 4 clear cut scoring chances today and gets shit on  -- next time you spew your stats how about putting into a team context -- as Jurgen has already said that his responsibilities far exceed just goal scoring.   

While you are at it --- why not look at Sadio and Mo's  shots on goal per goal --- and see if they have had some decline too?   Maybe post this in the main thread so no LFC player has to carry the burden of everyone's disappointment.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:06:23 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13362 on: April 24, 2021, 04:05:04 pm »
@DanKennett
Firmino & Mane are a combined 14 goals from 157 shots in the EPL this season.
27 big chances missed.
Combined XG of 24 for their shots so they are TEN goals under.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13363 on: April 24, 2021, 04:14:08 pm »
Him, Fab, vvd,Allison and both fullbacks are the untouchables. Hendo too obviously.

Completely agree.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #13364 on: April 24, 2021, 04:16:41 pm »
He isn't shite.  No way.

But he most certainly played shite today.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #13365 on: April 24, 2021, 04:19:06 pm »
My mind has changed on a lot of issues this season, and I now appreciate Firmino more than ever before, despite his struggles. None of our forwards are on top of their game right now. Salah’s impressive record and potential golden boot this season disguise the fact that he misses 9 clearcut chances out of 10, and he can’t hit a barnyard door with a barge pole in a knock out game when we really need him to score.  So maybe some rest and a stint in the Europa League will do them all some good, Bobby included. In fact, I’d sooner sell Salah than Bobby. Bearing the Crystal Palace performance in mind, Salah’s goals in that game were not essential but Bobby’s and Minamino’s certainly were. Bobby is the player with the most harmonious effect on the team, and that to me is worth more than a forward’s golden boot in a season where the team wins nothing and fails to finish in the top 4.

Seriously, WTF are you on?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13366 on: April 24, 2021, 04:21:28 pm »
Sorry mate, you're talking through your arse. Nobody questions what he's done in the past for us, but he's been consistently poor for at least a year. Harmonious effect on the team when he's misplacing five yards passes routinely. I'm all for loyalty but he's been dire for ages
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #13367 on: April 24, 2021, 04:32:43 pm »
@DanKennett
27 big chances missed.

And likely missing out on the Champion’s League as a result. Firmino is done at this level. He has been a terrific player for us, but it’s over.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13368 on: April 24, 2021, 04:35:45 pm »

What's wrong with people suggesting to sell by far our best player (along with VVD)? Staggering going such lengths to defend a player.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 05:08:21 pm by CalgarianRed »
True North Strong

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13369 on: April 24, 2021, 04:42:09 pm »
He isn't shite.  No way.

But he most certainly played shite today.

No he did not -- he was a mixed bag;  he had some glorious feeds into Jota, Mane and Salah for real goal opportunities.

His shooting, and a few decisions in possession struggled, but he was in position for the first 70 minutes (and then played up top) and was a factor in us winning the ball back 3-5 times during his stint at attack mid.   

Anyone else on the team create 4 clear cut chances to score and should have been buried?   He was better than Jota or Mane -- but you all need a fucking scapegoat.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #13370 on: April 24, 2021, 05:05:12 pm »
@DanKennett
27 big chances missed.
This is the first ‘bad patch’ Mane has had since he’s been here and he usually outperforms his xG so he still has credit in the bank. Firmino has consistently underperformed his xG and it’s getting worse.

We need to have two of our front three scoring regularly, Mane deserves more time.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13371 on: April 24, 2021, 05:05:57 pm »
In fact, I’d sooner sell Salah than Bobby.

Won't be many posts that can beat this one today!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13372 on: April 24, 2021, 05:37:33 pm »
Won't be many posts that can beat this one today!
Yeah, controversial, I get it. But I also think the idea that if Salah weren’t in the team goals would’ve dried up completely and we’d be fighting relegation is an over simplistic view. There are no certainties. In such a scenario other parts of the team might’ve stepped up or raised their game, like  2 years ago when Bobby and Salah were unavailable and we beat Barcelona 4-0. I remember being so attached to Fernando Torres I couldn’t see the wood from the trees.  But for all his goals and the positive vibes he created (because we loved him that much), we still won nothing with him.  It doesn’t make sense to get rid of your top goal scorer, I know.  But there’s just too many variables to speak in absolutes.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #13373 on: April 24, 2021, 05:39:39 pm »
Yeah, controversial, I get it.

No, just a load of rancid old pony...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13374 on: April 24, 2021, 05:40:54 pm »
He doesn't need to be shown the door, just the bench.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13375 on: April 24, 2021, 05:41:43 pm »
He doesn't need to be shown the door, just the bench.

Hed probably miss it. 
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13376 on: April 24, 2021, 05:42:47 pm »
No-look look to the bench?

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13377 on: April 24, 2021, 06:00:15 pm »
In fact, I’d sooner sell Salah than Bobby.
:o

Firmino has been one of my favourite players but my God, even at his best this would've been a mad shout.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13378 on: April 24, 2021, 06:03:20 pm »

I'd advise you to start following a new sport.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13379 on: April 24, 2021, 06:03:59 pm »
No, just a load of rancid old pony...

He's consistent with his absolute god awful takes on all things football

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13380 on: April 24, 2021, 06:23:42 pm »
Maybe he should just try his ‘no look shooting’ every time cos he can’t shoot for shit when he’s looking. I have honestly never seen any footballer at any level with a weaker shot. I know he has other attributes but I really don’t understand how a professional footballer can have such a weak shot.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13381 on: April 24, 2021, 06:40:03 pm »
My posting history will show how much I love/have loved Bobby as a player, but I honestly thought he was appalling today. He still put in a shift and played the odd decent pass, but given how many times he received the ball in space for once (us no longer being a counter attack team and him thus not being allowed any space in most games is one of the reasons why he's declined IMO), I thought he was incredibly slow-thinking and wasteful.

He's never been the quickest either, but he looks like he's running in absolute treacle lately.

Being shattered mentally and physically has perhaps been over-used as an excuse for many of our players this season, but Bobby really does look like that to me. The speed of thought and zip over 5 yards is totally gone. I just hope to christ that a break this summer can help fix it, rather than it being a terminal decline, because this is hard to watch.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:44:42 pm by decosabute »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #13382 on: April 24, 2021, 07:44:08 pm »
I'll put my neck out. Firmino wasn't great today by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought that playing with Salah, Mane and Jota was very promising. We didn't have the chance to see that often, but it was better that with Salah and Mane only. If Jota and Mane, and Salah for that matter, had their shooting boots today, people would have been talking differently about Bobby. He may bear partial responsibility for our misfiring front line, but he is the least of the problems.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #13383 on: April 24, 2021, 08:20:50 pm »
Would rather drop you, keep Shaq and play Bobby

I have nude pictures of Klopp so good luck with that.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13384 on: April 24, 2021, 08:32:14 pm »

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13385 on: April 24, 2021, 08:36:21 pm »
I'll put my neck out. Firmino wasn't great today by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought that playing with Salah, Mane and Jota was very promising. We didn't have the chance to see that often, but it was better that with Salah and Mane only. If Jota and Mane, and Salah for that matter, had their shooting boots today, people would have been talking differently about Bobby. He may bear partial responsibility for our misfiring front line, but he is the least of the problems.
I agree with this. Also, am not a big fan of playing all 4 strikers at once. Three is enough. Someone needs to get dropped from time to time to keep them competing  for their place. Plus squad rotation

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13386 on: April 24, 2021, 08:36:32 pm »

What's killed Bobby this year is Mane's fall from grace. If Mane and Salah were both on it in terms of goals and performance (and Jota while he's been fit) then Bobby can relax more in his team player role, even if he's not the player he was.

We just can't carry a number 9 who isn't scoring when Mane can't hit a barndoor either and the midfield or centre backs aren't chipping in.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13387 on: April 24, 2021, 09:07:21 pm »
What's killed Bobby this year is Mane's fall from grace. If Mane and Salah were both on it in terms of goals and performance (and Jota while he's been fit) then Bobby can relax more in his team player role, even if he's not the player he was.

We just can't carry a number 9 who isn't scoring when Mane can't hit a barndoor either and the midfield or centre backs aren't chipping in.

I understand this point, but I feel like there's more than this going on.

Yes some of his finishing lately is bafflingly bad - that moment early against Leeds where he gets there before the keeper and instead of lifting it over him, just kicks it straight out for a goal kick was bizarre but not surprising. Overall though, I don't really mind Bobby not scoring as long as he looks sharp and I can see the touch and speed of thought are there.

But he moves so slowly now and his first touch is noticeably poorer (it was genuinely atrocious in the second half today). Mostly though, it's how labored his decision making is. Firmino at his best would move the ball quickly or react like lightning to us winning the ball with pressing. I just think today and in some of the recent performances, he's startlingly poor in this aspect. He chews the ball and then wastes it or goes for the wrong option time and time again. Looks absolutely jaded to me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:09:34 pm by decosabute »

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13388 on: April 24, 2021, 09:19:44 pm »
Yeah, controversial, I get it. But I also think the idea that if Salah weren’t in the team goals would’ve dried up completely and we’d be fighting relegation is an over simplistic view. There are no certainties. In such a scenario other parts of the team might’ve stepped up or raised their game, like  2 years ago when Bobby and Salah were unavailable and we beat Barcelona 4-0. I remember being so attached to Fernando Torres I couldn’t see the wood from the trees.  But for all his goals and the positive vibes he created (because we loved him that much), we still won nothing with him.  It doesn’t make sense to get rid of your top goal scorer, I know.  But there’s just too many variables to speak in absolutes.

No team has ever been better off by getting rid a guaranteed 20 goal a season attacker. You mention Torres, but we hardly improved when we sold him did we? Same with Suarez, when we sold him the entire team went to absolute shit.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13389 on: April 24, 2021, 09:43:37 pm »
He just does.... nothing anymore

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13390 on: April 24, 2021, 09:47:16 pm »
Like Alexis Sanchez when he reached 29 he was done as a top player at the peak - it was all down hill.

Firmino over the past few years has worked incredibly hard for the team, looks like it's took his toll on him. Arsene Wenger once said all players have a set milage in them, and if they start young they usually are finished younger too. He's barely been injured, played nearly every game, and the miles on the clock massive.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13391 on: April 24, 2021, 11:02:41 pm »
Like Sadio, another player at 29 with two years left on his deal. Decision time looms and I think it’s time to move him on and get some money in for him. Been a class player for us but his decline is startling and is of real concern long term. If a decent bid comes in I would move him on and look to possibly change the way we play in attack as we will struggle to find someone who plays like Bobby.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13392 on: April 24, 2021, 11:10:04 pm »
Like Alexis Sanchez when he reached 29 he was done as a top player at the peak - it was all down hill.

Firmino over the past few years has worked incredibly hard for the team, looks like it's took his toll on him. Arsene Wenger once said all players have a set milage in them, and if they start young they usually are finished younger too. He's barely been injured, played nearly every game, and the miles on the clock massive.

You make a good point here. I always liked Arsene Wenger; struck me as very wise in all of his views on football matters.

No team has ever been better off by getting rid a guaranteed 20 goal a season attacker. You mention Torres, but we hardly improved when we sold him did we? Same with Suarez, when we sold him the entire team went to absolute shit.
Surely this proves my point that relying on one man to be your main goalscorer is the path to failure. It wasn't just the selling of Torres/Suarez that harmed us. If somebody (Torres) got injured on international duty we were fucked. If somebody got suspended (Suarez) for a string of games we were even more fucked. Other than Gerrard and a few other stalwarts in midfield and defence we didn't have as many great players then as we do now.

Yes, I think the current team needs a bit of a reboot, but I never actually said I wanted to sell Salah... Just that if I had to choose between keeping either him or Firmino I would keep the latter, take the wad of cash we would get for the former, and maybe invest it in a younger player with hunger to prove himself, or one with a more clinical eye for goal who can be coached to put away a higher percentage of those chances we keep missing every game.

Part of the problem this season is this team has already won most things at club level and most of them don't seem to have that ruthless, insatiable hunger of, say, the Real Madrid team that won 3 CLs in a row, or the City team that walked the league one year and then fought tooth and nail with us to defend their title in the 2018-19 season. Our boys are not failing on purpose; it's partly that they're just shattered and partly that human nature is what it is.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:12:13 pm by Morgana »

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13393 on: April 24, 2021, 11:40:09 pm »
We won't get a massive fee for him, but i'm sure he's on a tidy wage and we need that off the books.

Bobby's been the most loveable in a squad of loveable players, but there can't be room for sentiment. I think he'd do a cracking job somewhere like Barca for a few years, he deserves a good move and to spend his final years at a good level.

If we start next season with the same front three it'll be a huge mistake.

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13394 on: April 25, 2021, 12:14:50 am »
Its actually mental seeing him not being able to pass 5 yards or strike a ball with any more power then a 5 year old.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13395 on: April 25, 2021, 12:18:32 am »
Oh, the sad state of supporters opinions voiced in a thread meant to a be a monument for our Bobby.  And when confronted, even some hardened posters themselves profess love, but think he should be put out to pasture. Too all of those who claim to love the Bobby from the past but can no longer stomach the current Bobby or the future one, you cannot have one foot in Up the Reds when things are going well, and one foot up his backside when the team does not perform - using him as a scapegoat and statistics as the standard.

I am truly ashamed to share a message board with some of you - the glee in scapegoating and distorting games, as well as entire seasons of performance. 

Too many here are letting Bobby walk alone in this -- embarrassing regardless of what the future holds.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #13396 on: April 25, 2021, 12:21:21 am »
Oh, the sad state of supporters opinions voiced in a thread meant to a be a monument for our Bobby.  And when confronted, even some hardened posters themselves profess love, but think he should be put out to pasture. Too all of those who claim to love the Bobby from the past but can no longer stomach the current Bobby or the future one, you cannot have one foot in Up the Reds when things are going well, and one foot up his backside when the team does not perform - using him as a scapegoat and statistics as the standard.

I am truly ashamed to share a message board with some of you - the glee in scapegoating and distorting games, as well as entire seasons of performance. 

Too many here are letting Bobby walk alone in this -- embarrassing regardless of what the future holds.

You are a bit odd with your obsession support the team not your favourite player you are too old surely.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13397 on: April 25, 2021, 12:30:07 am »

This isn't mean to be a 'monument' you absolute danger.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #13398 on: April 25, 2021, 01:58:01 am »
Trend..no worries. The one man who's opinion counts still know what Bobby offers. He's the only one who's opinion counts.

“Bobby is a complete footballer,” the manager said. “A football team is like an orchestra, you have different people for different instruments. Some of them are louder than others but they are all important for the rhythm. Bobby plays something like 12 instruments in our orchestra. He’s very important. We can play well without him as well but I certainly want him on the pitch and if you look at the numbers, I like having him on the pitch a lot.

There's a mantra towards Bobby by some. You won't change their minds.

All one can do is remind others, before they turn to the dark side, what Bobby really offers and why Jurgen picks him. For those who think Jurgen picks on sentiment , they do Jurgen a disfavor.

And fwiw, Bobby is still Boss and very integral to the team.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 02:03:59 am by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #13399 on: April 25, 2021, 02:46:31 am »
You are a bit odd with your obsession support the team not your favourite player you are too old surely.
Don't think it's weird supporting a player who has given us so many great moments.