Author Topic: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience  (Read 216723 times)

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience
« Reply #440 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:14 pm »
He is head bangingly frustrating in attack. Never looks capable of ever beating a man and just too often looks for the easy pass back when in a wide position. He's deceptively slow aswell. I'm all for steady eddy 7/10 performances but you're playing for a top 4/title chasing side and your offering nothing to the attack, we need more from him in these sort of games.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:03:12 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:57 pm »
You know it's a bad day when people are questioning whethere to upgrade on this lad. We have CBs that make glaring mistakes that cost us goals yet we still play them week in week out, Clyne is the last defensive player we should look to upgrade on. He is limited going forward no doubt about that but we've known that for ages and I would say when we have Mane theres no real need for Clyne to be the attacking full back some want him to be.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: January 21, 2017, 03:00:25 pm »
He's a top full-back. Was dreadful today but probably the first time he has been for us. Unfortunately the rest of the defence followed suit so didn't get away with it.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #443 on: January 21, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »
He was dreadful today, and I've felt for a long time that he needs to do better going forward in general to be a 'top' player. But I don't think his position is a priority to upgrade. He consistently plays at a 'good enough' standard relative to his standard, and there are plenty of players in the squad, in more important positions, that aren't managing that.

Agree with this. He should be upgraded but other positions are the priority right now

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #444 on: January 21, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »
You know it's a bad day when people are questioning whethere to upgrade on this lad. We have CBs that make glaring mistakes that cost us goals yet we still play them week in week out, Clyne is the last defensive player we should look to upgrade on. He is limited going forward no doubt about that but we've known that for ages and I would say when we have Mane theres no real need for Clyne to be the attacking full back some want him to be.

Very true. He is not a huge asset offensively but he allows Mane to be Mane. Also, with Lallana or Gini as the number 8 next to him his simple passing can be effective. But today with Can next to him and Lallana ahead of him he wasn`t going to be at his most effective...especially coming back from injury.

We should look to add a central defender and a left back with a left foot rather than looking to replace Clyne, especially with TAA in the wings.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: January 21, 2017, 03:09:06 pm »
Dreadful is an understatement .You could see that he would pass the ball back to the center half even before he got it.Take on the fb man.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: January 21, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
He's a top full-back. Was dreadful today but probably the first time he has been for us. Unfortunately the rest of the defence followed suit so didn't get away with it.

He was just as bad against Southampton. He's in dreadful form but not the worst defender we have.

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: January 21, 2017, 03:11:05 pm »
For the amount of time and space he gets with the ball he doesn't do enough with it for me. Quality defensively but going forward he kills us at times.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: January 21, 2017, 03:12:45 pm »
As a team that dominates possession we need full backs who have cutting edge in the final 3rd....Clyne does not.

Has pace but lacks control of the ball.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: January 21, 2017, 03:13:32 pm »

We already have an upgrade on him.

Trent's emergence should have Clyne looking over his shoulder.

And I have nothing against Clyne, definitely not a player we should be desperate to upgrade, we just happen to already have one.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: January 21, 2017, 03:14:48 pm »
Clyne is a very good player, I think he's probably missing mane though.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: January 21, 2017, 03:16:45 pm »
Love Clyne. Think he has been an absolute rock for us. But fuck me that was by far the worst shift hes ever put in for us. But I have every bit of faith he'll fix it by next game.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: January 21, 2017, 03:18:46 pm »
Not having the "we should look to upgrade on him" thing. Clyne's good. Don't let today shadow your judgement of him, I presume in previous pages we're calling him the best RB in the league.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #453 on: January 21, 2017, 03:45:26 pm »
Trent would have stopped that 3rd today ...  :P

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 21, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »
Just a bad day at the office for him today - looked a step slow - which I would attribute to the injury

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 21, 2017, 03:50:23 pm »
Very Limited footballer, generally tough to play against though

Yes we could upgrade but we need other upgrades first, creative centre mid and another wide player

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: January 21, 2017, 03:50:41 pm »
TAA would've been more useful in the 1st half today. I think he's much better than clyne going forward, and there wasn't much threat at the back.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: January 21, 2017, 03:52:26 pm »
really good guy and good defender but very limited offensively.

Offline Reds and Revs

• Anny Roader
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2017, 03:54:57 pm »
Clyne is very good. I'd like to see him work on a first touch cross, hard and low, but i don't expect him to all of a sudden be beating his man outside the box.

This just shows how badly we miss Mane, and the need to provide cover for him.

We were very slow with the ball, and lacked energy until two down.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #459 on: January 21, 2017, 05:34:00 pm »
TAA would've been more useful in the 1st half today. I think he's much better than clyne going forward, and there wasn't much threat at the back.
What do you base that on, exactly? League cup games  ::)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2017, 06:02:27 pm »
Low on the list of priorities when it comes to upgrading but when you play the way we do, with Henderson pretty much dropping back into the defensive unit, you need not just energy and willingness from your fullbacks but end product too.

Clyne has never really had that, except when he played against us of course.  :P
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #461 on: January 21, 2017, 06:08:30 pm »
Clyne is a very good defender, but for games like today he's not very useful to us. The only space against Swansea was in wide areas, and especially on our right side. Clyne had many opportunities to do something productive, but didn't, so for me Klopp should have taken him off relatively early in the second half. Would like to see some solutions here from Klopp in future similar game scenarios, or just play Trent from the start if we expect the opposition to sit back.

Very different when Mane is playing, obviously. Then we have the opportunity to stick him close to the touchline, to either open up the half-space or take advantage of the space on the outside. Less need for the full back to come up with something.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: January 21, 2017, 06:28:41 pm »
We already have an upgrade on him.

Trent's emergence should have Clyne looking over his shoulder.

And I have nothing against Clyne, definitely not a player we should be desperate to upgrade, we just happen to already have one.
I agree with this. Clyne is adequate for where we want to go. We are not Barcelona-level YET, so spending money on an upgrade is unjustified when we have more pressing requirements. And by the time the team has improved to the point that Clyne is a weak link, TAA will be 2-3 years older and looks like he can become at least as good as clyne but more adjusted to our playing style.

To me, the real problem was a technically weak midfield that lacked creativity or penetration. Gone are the days if Xabi Alonso-Gerrard partnership with Mascherano cleaning up in behind, of course, but when Lallana plays out wide instead if Mane, pushing Can into the side, and Henderson has his worst game in a while, we become so languid, slow in buildup and lackin in guile or passing ability or pace or really anything that could break a deep-lying and organised defence.

I would upgrade central midfield, the wing, centre back and left back before looking at upgrading Clyne and TAA. And centre forward, although Firmino was excellent today.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2017, 11:07:14 pm »
Just a bad day at the office for him today - looked a step slow - which I would attribute to the injury

I'd agree about the injury. At one time he seemed to slow down quite drastically, allowing the cross for their second goal.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2017, 11:48:01 pm »
Said it before no end product

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2017, 11:59:34 pm »
According to Pearce played with pain killing injections!

Tough cookie.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #466 on: January 22, 2017, 12:24:04 am »
He's a decent defender. Fair enough he wasn't great today but I'll grant him that considering he's generally one of our more solid defensive players.

However, attacking wise he is awful. I've been saying this for a while. He plays too much with his head down and doesn't see many runs from other players. He also has no left foot at all and  all his play is dictated by this. When crossing he either doesn't get one in or he delivers a fairly poor ball.

If you consider the amount of possesion he gets high up the pitch and the positions in where he receives the ball, you'd have to say his return in an offensive sense has been horrific. I don't know how many  balls were swept out to him today and he literally done nothing with them.

I've been happy with him defensively apart from today but he can certainly be improved upon. A good attacking full back in this system would be amazing.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #467 on: January 22, 2017, 12:32:45 am »
Thought in his first season he was ace but then he started to become limited offensively not taking enough risks and now I'm not so keen on him defensively either.

I'd  look to bring in Adam Smith of Bournemouth, I've watched him time and time and he's very underrated.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: January 22, 2017, 01:34:24 am »
According to Pearce played with pain killing injections!

Tough cookie.

If true, and there's no reason to think otherwise, he probably shouldn't of been playing.  If Trent AA was good enough to play against Utd then he should've been fine to play against Swansea which would've allowed Clyne a few more days to rest and heal before the Southampton match. 

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: January 22, 2017, 02:42:16 am »
If true, and there's no reason to think otherwise, he probably shouldn't of been playing.  If Trent AA was good enough to play against Utd then he should've been fine to play against Swansea which would've allowed Clyne a few more days to rest and heal before the Southampton match. 

Pretty much. His lack of attacking output has always been visible, but in a game like today where they just let him have the ball, it was more obvious than ever. I'm still not too concerned about his position, because there are many other positions that are greater priorities for us as well as any advantage we may gain from signing a better full back might not be worth it considering what such an upgrade would cost. Moreover, we have a talented young RB coming through at the moment who might be worth persisting with as well. And that young FB should have played if there was any indication that Clyne wasn't fully fit and able to contribute.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: January 22, 2017, 04:11:22 am »
I think he is quite good.
Apologies for any controversy
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #471 on: January 22, 2017, 05:19:44 am »
Pretty much. His lack of attacking output has always been visible, but in a game like today where they just let him have the ball, it was more obvious than ever. I'm still not too concerned about his position, because there are many other positions that are greater priorities for us as well as any advantage we may gain from signing a better full back might not be worth it considering what such an upgrade would cost. Moreover, we have a talented young RB coming through at the moment who might be worth persisting with as well. And that young FB should have played if there was any indication that Clyne wasn't fully fit and able to contribute.

I agree. They are content to let him have the ball.

If TAA was good enough for Old Trafford, surely Swansea at home should have been OK with Clyne needing an injection.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: January 22, 2017, 06:47:17 am »
I agree. They are content to let him have the ball.

If TAA was good enough for Old Trafford, surely Swansea at home should have been OK with Clyne needing an injection.

If Clyne wasn't fully fit.. he shouldn't have played..
I know some players have a higher threshold of pain and playing with a knock..

But if players are taking injections, then clearly they are not fully fit.. and while the injection would help the body function, the brain would still be aware of a knock or something not being quite right..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #473 on: January 22, 2017, 08:52:53 am »
He was poor defensively yesterday, but you can count those games in his time here on one hand.

It's not his job to make our attacking unit serviceable. It's not a strength of his, but also not a requirement.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #474 on: January 22, 2017, 08:56:20 am »
Agree that yesterday he was noticeably awful.

First truly bad game he has had for us. And his still nursing that knock. I reckon it will be a one off and he will be back to his reliable best next match.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #475 on: January 22, 2017, 09:03:54 am »
Clyne has been so reliable, he did have a bad game but it'll be a one off

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2017, 09:05:53 am »
Seen loads of reactionary crap spouted about him since yesterday, and to be fair he was very poor.  Don't think he'll ever be great offensively, but when on format he is without doubt won of the best full backs in the league.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #477 on: January 22, 2017, 11:33:47 am »
Probably, in fact, definetly, his worst game for us. Reports of playing through injury and that, may or may not be true, but regardless, he was shockingly bad. Though not to detract or make excuses for him, but who did have a good 90 minutes yesterday.

There are those in this team who are due, even allowed a bad game and he is one of them, though as sad as it is - those who can be afforded and those who have delivered far too may poor performances, all chose to do so on the same day.

Onwards and upwards
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: January 22, 2017, 12:03:13 pm »

I'm not remotely worried about his performance yesterday or how good or poor he is going forward.  He's clearly one of the most important players we have and having to play with an injury and receive a pain injection when we have a perfectly capable player ready to come in for him doesn't make any sense to me especially with a semi-final coming up in 3 days. 

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: January 22, 2017, 12:06:49 pm »
I'm not remotely worried about his performance yesterday or how good or poor he is going forward.  He's clearly one of the most important players we have and having to play with an injury and receive a pain injection when we have a perfectly capable player ready to come in for him doesn't make any sense to me especially with a semi-final coming up in 3 days. 
Where is it reported he had pain killing injection ?
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.