Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 628149 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #7440 on: August 24, 2020, 10:14:58 pm »
Well Brett Brown has been fired anyway. Not very surprising.

They all need to go with the process.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7441 on: August 25, 2020, 12:05:57 am »
76ers want Ty Lue to replace Brett Brown what's the point of that he's just as shit as Brown is  :butt

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7442 on: August 25, 2020, 12:08:56 am »
Yeah, 76 ers immediately comes to mind but they are a toothless franchise and didn't have their second best player (if not the best).
They really have to make some changes and I'm not talking about coaching change. Whoever signed those contracts for Horford and Tobias deserves to be punched on the face. This is probably the time for them to ship one of Embiid and Simmons and re-shape that roster.
Why do you think Jimmy Butler signed for the Heat he knew Miami have great potential with an excellent coach and a good front office. The 76ers we're the complete opposite of that a terrible front office with a terrible coach.

Speaking of Miami they played well against the Bucks in the regular that series should be a cracker as will Boston against Toronto.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #7443 on: August 25, 2020, 12:29:19 am »
Surely Embid is the one they look to trade? Can't have one of your supposed elite guys being gassed by the 2nd quarter in every game. Seems like he's not really got the mentality needed to be a franchise guy either to be honest whereas I think Simmons does.
The guy who after three years on the league still refuses to shoot the three? Don’t think so. That being said, I don’t think they “need” to trade one of them to be successful, they were one lucky bounce away from a conference final last year, and who knows what would have happened then. I think their team building has been horrific though. They let Redick, the only player who could stretch the floor for them, and Butler walk and got Harris and Horford on max contracts, that’s beyond idiotic. I don’t think Brown is a great coach but Elton Brand has done an awful job too, and he’s getting off scotfree out of all this mess.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:31:40 am by Lastrador »

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7444 on: August 25, 2020, 01:14:11 am »
Nuggets have to be the biggest disappointment in the play off's thus far. Kudos to Jazz for fighting hard. Mitchell is playing out of his mind.

As a nuggets fan, you are 100% right, but this happens to us every season, even since the Iverson days, we always underperform in the playoffs, last season we should have beat Portland and this season we should at least reach the second round to give the clippers/mavs a good fight, but instead we defend like twelve year olds since the playoffs started.

Missing Harris and Barton (2 top defenders) is not an excuae in my opinion, this team is soo deep and we should beat the Jazz... But what can i say, come playoff time we start choking, which is not a surprise, we got the same Owner as Arsenal FC. Mr. Stan Kroenke...

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7445 on: August 25, 2020, 11:26:00 am »
Talking about surprise teams, shout out to OKC and CP3.  Noone thought they would be candidate to make the play-off's and not only they achieved that, they are now tied 2-2 against the Rockets. I'll laugh if Rockets lose to them after saying CP3 was the problem for them. Also, fair to say OKC ripped Clippers pretty badly on that Paul George trade.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7446 on: August 25, 2020, 11:28:14 am »
As a nuggets fan, you are 100% right, but this happens to us every season, even since the Iverson days, we always underperform in the playoffs, last season we should have beat Portland and this season we should at least reach the second round to give the clippers/mavs a good fight, but instead we defend like twelve year olds since the playoffs started.

Missing Harris and Barton (2 top defenders) is not an excuae in my opinion, this team is soo deep and we should beat the Jazz... But what can i say, come playoff time we start choking, which is not a surprise, we got the same Owner as Arsenal FC. Mr. Stan Kroenke...
I was a huge fan of you guys during that Melo era. I think that team underachieved a lot and you were close by making the conference finals once but one of the all time greats (Kobe) have stopped you that year. That Nuggets team and Suns team with Nash was actually more fitting for this new 3 point era's basketball.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7447 on: August 25, 2020, 11:31:28 am »
It's looking more and more like the Kings not picking Doncic is going down as one of the worst draft picks ever. The Suns I can understand, Atlanta to an extent, but having Divac as your GM and passing down a chance to draft the Euroleague MVP (I think he was the MVP, starter for the champions in any case) at 18 years old is shocking.
Rumors say Divac didn't have a good relationship with Doncic's agent and let that personal thing get in the way during decision making.

By the way, I disagree with you on Suns passing on Doncic being understandable. It was clear as hell this new game is small ball 3 point line up era, so Doncic+Booker combo could have been the most lethal guards duo. Suns coach was Doncic's coach from that Slovenia team who won championship, so it's double mind boggling how they passed on him.

Offline kloppagetime

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7448 on: August 25, 2020, 02:59:35 pm »
Talking about surprise teams, shout out to OKC and CP3.  Noone thought they would be candidate to make the play-off's and not only they achieved that, they are now tied 2-2 against the Rockets. I'll laugh if Rockets lose to them after saying CP3 was the problem for them. Also, fair to say OKC ripped Clippers pretty badly on that Paul George trade.
Paul George is so overrated Playoff P hasn't won a playoff series since 2014 so it was a fantastic trade for OKC as they got a ton of draft picks and a excellent young player in Gilgeous Alexander in return for George.

Kawhi's decision to go the Clippers must of been he wanted to return home as in terms of being a basketball one it makes no sense. The Raptors are a better team than the Clippers with a far far better coach as well.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7449 on: August 25, 2020, 09:42:21 pm »
As much as I want Mavs to win tonight, I think this will be a blow out for Clippers. Porzingis will play but he is hurt and so is Doncic's ankle, he is due an off-shooting night imo so I see an easy win for the Clippers.

I hope Denver wins tonight to make things interesting.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7450 on: August 25, 2020, 10:05:46 pm »
Rumors say Divac didn't have a good relationship with Doncic's agent and let that personal thing get in the way during decision making.

By the way, I disagree with you on Suns passing on Doncic being understandable. It was clear as hell this new game is small ball 3 point line up era, so Doncic+Booker combo could have been the most lethal guards duo. Suns coach was Doncic's coach from that Slovenia team who won championship, so it's double mind boggling how they passed on him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they were right to pick Ayton, personally I had Doncic as the #1 pick ahead of the draft, but I got the impression that he and Ayton were similarly valued ahead of the draft so I can understand picking a potentially excellent center. Bagley was never in the conversation with the other two, which is why I feel it's the worse pick. And Ayton at least looks decent so far, if not spectacular.

The part with Slovenia's coach being hired by the Suns ahead of the draft is really odd, that we can agree on, no clue what was going on there ;D

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7451 on: August 26, 2020, 02:34:54 am »
Jamal Murray totals in the last two games 🤯

92 PTS
19 REB
15 AST
0 TOV
61.4% FG
56.5% 3PT

I hope we can force a game 7 but the defense is still extremely shaky

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7452 on: August 26, 2020, 06:57:05 am »
You know if Denver extends the series to 7th game, Jazz will be mentally collapsed imo and it would be an easy blow out win for the Nuggets. Next game would be so much fun.

Why did they change the starting times for the games again? We were enjoying those early games until last 2 days.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7453 on: August 26, 2020, 07:48:26 am »
Sounds like Paul George finally turned up last night.

Tough ask for Luka and the Mavs to go again after the drama at the weekend and still without Porzingis.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7454 on: August 26, 2020, 08:35:47 am »
Sounds like Paul George finally turned up last night.

Tough ask for Luka and the Mavs to go again after the drama at the weekend and still without Porzingis.
They already overachieved this year imo. Even making the play-off's was huge for them. They had many players missing games due to injuries during the season, mainly Porzingis. Clippers was a tough and worst match up for them imo. If they had higher seed and played against Jazz, Nuggets, Rockets, they could've won.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7455 on: August 26, 2020, 08:56:36 am »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7456 on: August 26, 2020, 08:58:57 am »

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7457 on: August 26, 2020, 09:45:19 am »
You know if Denver extends the series to 7th game, Jazz will be mentally collapsed imo and it would be an easy blow out win for the Nuggets. Next game would be so much fun.

Why did they change the starting times for the games again? We were enjoying those early games until last 2 days.

For me the NBA games are no schedule challenge anymore, since i am a home office nightshift worker :D i can consume as much american sports as there is to see :D

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7458 on: August 26, 2020, 03:22:25 pm »
Looks like Marcus Morris targeted Luka's bad ankle here, he has to be suspended for 2 games imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnUVtgWj9_Y&feature=emb_logo

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7459 on: August 26, 2020, 07:28:26 pm »
For me the NBA games are no schedule challenge anymore, since i am a home office nightshift worker :D i can consume as much american sports as there is to see :D
Probably the thing i most enjoyed when I lived in the States was being able to watch American sports in decent hours ;D

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7460 on: August 26, 2020, 09:21:31 pm »
Bucks refuse to play the game!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7461 on: August 26, 2020, 09:22:02 pm »
Good on them

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #7462 on: August 26, 2020, 09:36:12 pm »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #7463 on: August 26, 2020, 09:47:05 pm »
OKC v Houston likely to be boycotted, too.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #7464 on: August 26, 2020, 09:47:48 pm »
Great gesture from the players with some worry this is just preaching to the choir. My main hopes are for this to spread to the upcoming NFL season, which would have a much greater reach to the average American than the first round of the NBA playoffs. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:54:01 pm by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #7465 on: August 26, 2020, 10:08:07 pm »
All games tonight are off - OKC/Rockets and the Lakers/Blazers games too.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #7466 on: August 26, 2020, 10:08:30 pm »
Absolutely brilliant.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7467 on: August 26, 2020, 10:13:00 pm »
Great gesture from the players with some worry this is just preaching to the choir. My main hopes are for this to spread to the upcoming NFL season, which would have a much greater reach to the average American than the first round of the NBA playoffs. 
What more can they do?

These outrages keep happening, and yet nothing changes

Great respect to them all. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7468 on: August 26, 2020, 10:22:51 pm »
Fantastic by the Player's Union.

Bravo.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7469 on: August 26, 2020, 10:23:28 pm »
What more can they do?

Yes I agree.

trimore, I completely understand your comment "Great gesture from the players with some worry this is just preaching to the choir." You're right! The "choir" (including most of us here) are going to have the ears most concerned with this matter.

But the one lucky (??) coincidence is that we are in the middle of the Republican convention. And do I need to describe how many of those Republicans feel about black Americans? So perhaps Trump or someone else says something absolutely idiotic tonight about these boycotts and this shooting. It will amplify the focus on it tenfold, which will be a good thing. And maybe a few more Americans will get educated about race relations...we can hope.   

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7470 on: August 26, 2020, 10:29:52 pm »
Great to see. Taking a knee and wearing Black Lives Matter only gets you so far.

The cynical part of me hopes those same players boycott any potential White House visit as well in the post season.

Watched the Last Dance documentary a few times and was pointed out how Micheal Jordan feared getting political during his career. So it's refreshing to see modern player taking a stand
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:31:46 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #7471 on: August 26, 2020, 10:38:56 pm »
What more can they do?

Honestly there's not much they can do, they're aren't top tier buisness leaders or politicians. It just shows that even the NBA superstars don't have much more power than your average citizen when it comes to societal change. I genuinely wish they did, this is no disrespect towards their gesture here, it's just they way it is.

I know some like Lebron have ambitions to really branch out into the top echelons of the business world. But I don't think that would be enough, too many of the Zuckerbergs of the world gang up against him. I think the best bet for real change is for many of the senior star players to run for political office sometime sooner than later. 
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7472 on: August 26, 2020, 11:15:33 pm »
Brewers v Reds postponed. Good to see MLB teams standing with the NBA  :wave
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7473 on: August 26, 2020, 11:36:36 pm »
Brewers v Reds postponed. Good to see MLB teams standing with the NBA  :wave

I saw that rumoured on Twitter, but was surprised it's actually happened.  Baseball is much more conservative than the NBA, and has a much older, whiter fanbase as well.  There'll be a massive backlash to this from a lot of fans.  Good on them for doing it.

Rob Manfred will obviously fuck up his response to it, but momentum certainly seems to be growing.  Enough to make an actual change?  Let's hope so.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7474 on: August 26, 2020, 11:39:01 pm »
Point in case about MLB:  No mention of this on MLB.com yet.  They'll be trying to spin it.  Jackie Robinson will get numerous mentions in whatever statement they put out.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7475 on: August 26, 2020, 11:47:38 pm »
Trump about to say/tweet something completely tone-deaf that his racist base will love in 3...2...1...

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7476 on: August 26, 2020, 11:56:31 pm »
Trump about to say/tweet something completely tone-deaf that his racist base will love in 3...2...1...

Aubrey Huff to retweet it 5 seconds later.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7477 on: August 27, 2020, 02:52:16 am »
Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
Before a packed room of teams in a hotel ballroom at Disney, the discussion is centering on whether to continue with the playoffs -- or end the season, sources tell ESPN. So far, there seems to be momentum not to play the three playoff games on Thursday, but nothing's decided.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7478 on: August 27, 2020, 03:04:36 am »
Hit them in the pocket, its the only thing they understand, boycott the NBA, let them go back to the 50s when it was white players only, lets see who'll watch that. That's proper stepping up, not writing silly messages on the back of shirts.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7479 on: August 27, 2020, 08:36:58 am »
Don't know the ins and outs of it but it's a lovely thing this on the face of it.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422