Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 624602 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #7480 on: August 27, 2020, 08:37:21 am »
Hit them in the pocket, its the only thing they understand, boycott the NBA, let them go back to the 50s when it was white players only, lets see who'll watch that. That's proper stepping up, not writing silly messages on the back of shirts.

Don't forget the NBA were the first sport to suspend their season during the onset of Covid-19.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7481 on: August 27, 2020, 10:32:48 am »
This is huge that they are even considering it

Shams Charania@ShamsCharania
Sources: The Lakers and Clippers have voted to boycott the NBA season. Most other teams voted to continue. LeBron James has exited the meeting.

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
The Clippers and Lakers voting on perhaps not continuing with the season was considered more of a polling, than a final vote, sources tell ESPN. The resumption of the playoffs remains still up in the air.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7482 on: August 27, 2020, 02:07:09 pm »
JJ Reddick has a youtube channel where he interviews players or ex players mostly. He is pretty incredible, i have to say he is doing it much better than all those professionals out there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbPY1Efha9VPRBYW2x1M16A

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7483 on: August 27, 2020, 02:38:17 pm »
Hope they cancel it.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7484 on: August 27, 2020, 02:45:49 pm »
Four of the latter-scheduled MLB baseball games yesterday were postponed as well*. Also 5 MLS matches. And tennis player Naomi Osaka pulled out of a tourney.

It's gaining huge momentum.

*It will be interesting to see FSG's Red Sox stance today. They played the earliest MLB game yesterday before this firestorm really hit.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:47:28 pm by soxfan »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7485 on: August 27, 2020, 02:55:00 pm »
Hopefully NFL season is done as well

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7486 on: August 27, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »
It’s like cancelling the CL. Big statement.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7487 on: August 28, 2020, 09:18:53 pm »
NBA players and the league to:

- Form social justice coalition
- Convert arenas into voting locations where possible
- Create ads during the playoffs to promote civic engagement and raise awareness about voting access and opportunities
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/1299387498708250626

:thumbup

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7488 on: August 28, 2020, 10:14:46 pm »
Fair fucks to them.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7489 on: August 28, 2020, 10:31:17 pm »
I can't remember which journalist said it, but it was spot on. NBA players have pretty much come to the conclusion that the best way for them to use their influence is by promoting boring things like voter registration, civic engagement and having young people actually vote

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7490 on: August 28, 2020, 10:40:07 pm »
I can't remember which journalist said it, but it was spot on. NBA players have pretty much come to the conclusion that the best way for them to use their influence is by promoting boring things like voter registration, civic engagement and having young people actually vote

If the people at the top won't listen to you or enact change then change tack and ask the public to. Great idea.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7491 on: August 30, 2020, 07:39:15 pm »
wow, Celtics manhandling the Raptors so far. Killed the game early. Hoping for a decent Mavs-Clippers one. Clips will win but i hope it's not wrapped up early.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7492 on: August 30, 2020, 09:20:11 pm »
Marcus Morris finally ejected, the fucking dirty clown. I hope he gets 2 game suspension from the NBA.

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7493 on: August 31, 2020, 04:13:40 am »
What is happenning? Jamal Murray with 3 40+ point games in a row, 2 50+ games in a row... insane, and we got a game 7!!

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7494 on: August 31, 2020, 05:35:32 am »
Yeah, Jazz are dead and buried :(

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7495 on: August 31, 2020, 07:31:24 am »
You know if Denver extends the series to 7th game, Jazz will be mentally collapsed imo and it would be an easy blow out win for the Nuggets. Next game would be so much fun.

Why did they change the starting times for the games again? We were enjoying those early games until last 2 days.
I stick to my prediction, i think 7th game will be low scoring but it will be a comfortable Denver win, they have all the momentum.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #7496 on: September 1, 2020, 08:56:07 am »
Denver should see it through. But I can't see them past the Clippers.
I've got Lakers v Clippers with the Lakers going to the Finals.

In the East, I have Miami vs Celtics in the Finals. Should be a close one, but I have the Celtics going through. Celtics are just too deep with smart players and numerous scorers.

Lakers vs Celtics for a classic Finals, though I'm predicting a rather one sided Finals (4-1).

Not sure why many are surprised with the Bucks losing. You can't progress that far with an MVP that can't take an outside shot, doesn't have a low post presence, and needs to be penetrating in order to be a threat. Shame the coaches killed Giannis' shooting technique, he's actually gotten worse over time and his best shooting % was in his rookie season with his initial style. Never mess with the shooting technique of a guy raised in Europe. That's all we learn in Europe, how to shoot and how to create/identify space and angles. All the athletic offensive moves are generally left for the Americans. ;D
Seriously though, they should fire the Bucks' shooting coache, criminal what they've done to Giannis.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7497 on: September 1, 2020, 09:04:48 am »
Before I forget, how much delightful sweet justice would there be if OKC knock the Rockets out of the Playoffs.
Imagine kicking Chris Paul out the door after one season and sending him to OKC, assuming OKC would barely make the Playoffs, whilst bringing in the former MVP and Golden child of OKC that ditched them rather unceremoniously once his bff ditched him to go to the Clippers, and then having to face Chris Paul (hey there buddy, no hard feelings!) and OKC (hey there buddies, wasn't personal) and then getting knocked out by them. So sweet.

Almost too good to be true, surely?
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7498 on: September 1, 2020, 09:10:40 am »
Denver should see it through. But I can't see them past the Clippers.
I've got Lakers v Clippers with the Lakers going to the Finals.

In the East, I have Miami vs Celtics in the Finals. Should be a close one, but I have the Celtics going through. Celtics are just too deep with smart players and numerous scorers.

Lakers vs Celtics for a classic Finals, though I'm predicting a rather one sided Finals (4-1).

Not sure why many are surprised with the Bucks losing. You can't progress that far with an MVP that can't take an outside shot, doesn't have a low post presence, and needs to be penetrating in order to be a threat. Shame the coaches killed Giannis' shooting technique, he's actually gotten worse over time and his best shooting % was in his rookie season with his initial style. Never mess with the shooting technique of a guy raised in Europe. That's all we learn in Europe, how to shoot and how to create/identify space and angles. All the athletic offensive moves are generally left for the Americans. ;D
Seriously though, they should fire the Bucks' shooting coache, criminal what they've done to Giannis.
I think part of the problem was he bulked up a lot, they tried to make him an athletic specimen and his shooting got worse. But also as you said, Jason Kidd and his staff got ahold of him and screwed his shooting style.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7499 on: September 1, 2020, 09:13:20 am »
Before I forget, how much delightful sweet justice would there be if OKC knock the Rockets out of the Playoffs.
Imagine kicking Chris Paul out the door after one season and sending him to OKC, assuming OKC would barely make the Playoffs, whilst bringing in the former MVP and Golden child of OKC that ditched them rather unceremoniously once his bff ditched him to go to the Clippers, and then having to face Chris Paul (hey there buddy, no hard feelings!) and OKC (hey there buddies, wasn't personal) and then getting knocked out by them. So sweet.

Almost too good to be true, surely?
Pretty much everyone except Rockets fans are rooting for OKC here. What OKC did this season is actually amazing. There were calls for them to fully tank and trade CP3 (and maybe they tried and couldn't), but making the play-off's as 6th team is quite incredible itself, then taking the first series to 7 games is even more amazing. Such a great story if they make it, we will have 2 great 7th games in the West.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7500 on: September 1, 2020, 09:14:13 am »
What is happenning? Jamal Murray with 3 40+ point games in a row, 2 50+ games in a row... insane, and we got a game 7!!
Now he finally deserved to show his dick pictures on his instagram, he earnt it!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7501 on: September 1, 2020, 06:14:35 pm »
Pretty much everyone except Rockets fans are rooting for OKC here. What OKC did this season is actually amazing.

I'm not. I don't want the Lakers to go through another round without anyone giving them a fight. OKC don't have a chance against them if they get through.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7502 on: September 1, 2020, 07:59:01 pm »
I'm not. I don't want the Lakers to go through another round without anyone giving them a fight. OKC don't have a chance against them if they get through.
Fair enough. as a warriors fan, i am hoping an eastern conference team wins it but i rather prefer Lakers to make the finals instead of the Clippers, they've been raising the bar to be unlikeable last few years.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7503 on: September 1, 2020, 08:20:52 pm »
How about the Heat silently doing their business in the East? 5-0 in the play-off's so far, Spoelstra is such an underrated coach.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7504 on: September 1, 2020, 10:02:53 pm »
How about the Heat silently doing their business in the East? 5-0 in the play-off's so far, Spoelstra is such an underrated coach.

Spoelstra is incredibly good. Without doubt one of the best in the NBA.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #7505 on: September 1, 2020, 10:26:09 pm »
Yeah, Jazz are dead and buried :(
Nah, don’t get fooled. The only reason the Jazz haven’t finished this series is because they have effectively 6 players (they are missing their second best scorer), while Denver’s bench is much deeper. Also Murray playing out of his mind. I think the Jazz have outplayed the Nuggets every match except for the last one, so I have faith they will go through tonight.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2020, 10:43:57 pm by Lastrador »

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7506 on: September 1, 2020, 10:40:26 pm »
Nah, don’t get fooled. The only reason the Jazz haven’t finished this series is because they have effectively 6 players (they are missing their second best scorer), while Denver’s bench is much deeper. Also Murray playing out of his mind. I think the Jazz have outplayed the Nuggets every match except for the last one, so I have faith they will go though tonight.

I hope you are wrong, IF we go out tonight though, i really hope an East Team wins the title, preferrably Miami or Boston, i can't stand either LA team or the Rockets... The bucks are boring imo, because i don't like Giannis playstyle and the Raptors won it last year, would not mind them again, especially if they would win it without Kawhi, but i still rather have a new champ.

So if the Nuggets go out, i am rooting for Celtics/Heat... Would be a massive bummer though after this comeback.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #7507 on: September 1, 2020, 11:05:26 pm »
I hope you are wrong, IF we go out tonight though, i really hope an East Team wins the title, preferrably Miami or Boston, i can't stand either LA team or the Rockets... The bucks are boring imo, because i don't like Giannis playstyle and the Raptors won it last year, would not mind them again, especially if they would win it without Kawhi, but i still rather have a new champ.

So if the Nuggets go out, i am rooting for Celtics/Heat... Would be a massive bummer though after this comeback.
I don't think either Utah or Denver have any chance against the Clippers. Denver has been abysmal defensively, they've been destroyed on the pick and roll by Utah, so I don't even want to know what the Clippers could do to them. Utah just doesn't have the offensive talent, the athletism, or the depth to match up to them. Of the two the Nuggets may give them more of a fight because of their offense, but I think they could steal one game or two at the most. I think Dallas was more of a test for them tbf.

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7508 on: September 2, 2020, 12:49:51 am »
I don't think either Utah or Denver have any chance against the Clippers. Denver has been abysmal defensively, they've been destroyed on the pick and roll by Utah, so I don't even want to know what the Clippers could do to them. Utah just doesn't have the offensive talent, the athletism, or the depth to match up to them. Of the two the Nuggets may give them more of a fight because of their offense, but I think they could steal one game or two at the most. I think Dallas was more of a test for them tbf.
Could be true, but i don't see any team flying above the others in this league atm, this is no GSW situation and i feel everyone has an off chance to beat anybody. I feel like we could do dmg and Gobert is just a missmatch for Jokic defensively, but we will see i guess

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7509 on: September 2, 2020, 03:58:00 am »
My god, what a final sequence to this series :o  Jokic and Gobert dominating this game.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7510 on: September 2, 2020, 01:04:52 pm »
We gave him a lot of stick in the beginning of the series but Jokic took charge later in the series, I know everyone is talking about Murray but this guy played like an all time great yesterday in the closing game. Hope he brings his A game against the Clippers, if they are still celebrating this victory, Clippers will cruise, I hope Nuggets make it!

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7511 on: September 2, 2020, 01:07:27 pm »
If it was Jazz, I would say a 4-0 sweep for the Clips but i really think Nuggets are capable of surprising them. They have to realize that a Mavs team with a great player with bad ankle plus bunch of average players managed tosteal 2 from them and it could've been 3-1 Mavs if it wasn't for the prick refs. So, they should encourage themselves for the series. That being said, I think Clippers will learn from the Mavs series and i expect them to play better this series.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7512 on: September 3, 2020, 09:20:53 am »
Terrible jobs by the refs in Bucks-Heat game. Dragic and Giannis did not even touch players there, no fouls imo.

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7513 on: September 3, 2020, 09:29:46 am »
Terrible jobs by the refs in Bucks-Heat game. Dragic and Giannis did not even touch players there, no fouls imo.

Yeah both were really bad calls and i believe they called the last one, just because they realised the 3 FTs fouls was a bad call already... I am just happy the Heat won, because they deserved it.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7514 on: September 3, 2020, 12:22:16 pm »

Agreed, horrible ref decisions. I honestly think they called thr foul on Giannis to balance for the horrendous decision to call a foul on Dragic. Such a good game,  series, and playoffs. But the refs are as useless as ever.
I say useless, but I still get this nagging feeling that some games are just managed with the outcome in mind.

* just read the reply above mine ;D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #7515 on: September 3, 2020, 02:51:49 pm »
Wojbomb: Steve Nash is the new head coach of the Brooklyn Nets on a 4 year contract, cos sure why not?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #7516 on: September 3, 2020, 03:24:29 pm »
If it was Jazz, I would say a 4-0 sweep for the Clips but i really think Nuggets are capable of surprising them. They have to realize that a Mavs team with a great player with bad ankle plus bunch of average players managed tosteal 2 from them and it could've been 3-1 Mavs if it wasn't for the prick refs. So, they should encourage themselves for the series. That being said, I think Clippers will learn from the Mavs series and i expect them to play better this series.
Like I said, the Nuggets offense can give the Clippers defense problems, but I just can't see them winning more than 2 games at best. Think they are just way too soft and their defense has been abysmal. I can see them being murdered on the pick and roll if Jokic plays as passive on defense as he did in the first 4-5 matches against the Jazz. I also don't think they have anyone who can make as good of a job defensively as Kleber did on Kawhi, maybe Grant but I haven't been impressed with his defense so far. I love the Jokic-Murray tandem, but Jokic can be too passive at times and Murray is very streaky. So while I would love to see Denver upset the Clippers, I just think the Clippers have too many weapons for Denver's defense.

Dragic didn't even leave the ground, it was a terrible call. Giannis foul was soft as fuck, but I think you can make a stronger case, as he did touch Butler after the shot. I wouldn't have called either a foul but I guess it even out in the end.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2020, 05:09:36 pm by Lastrador »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7517 on: September 3, 2020, 03:29:41 pm »
KD and Kyrie's hire, especially KD who had a good relationship with Nash at Golden State

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7518 on: September 3, 2020, 09:02:10 pm »
Nets hired Steve Nash as head coach on a 4 years contract.

Surprise and risky move but I sure want him to succeed. He has one of the best basketball IQ's in the history of the game and let's hope that translates from his playing days to coaching as he was one of my all time favorite player along with Stockton.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #7519 on: September 3, 2020, 10:39:33 pm »

Nets hired Steve Nash as head coach on a 4 years contract.

Surprise and risky move but I sure want him to succeed. He has one of the best basketball IQ's in the history of the game and let's hope that translates from his playing days to coaching as he was one of my all time favorite player along with Stockton.

He is also a hands on co-owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps. The man is going to be very busy to say the least.