Author Topic: Welcome Christian Benteke  (Read 168959 times)

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Re: Welcome Christian Benteke
« Reply #320 on: July 23, 2015, 07:38:31 am »
"I think most fans expected him to lean with his head, but that is a common misconception. He clearly shows his versatility with this lean."

Read this post on reddit and it's too funny to not be posted here.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: July 23, 2015, 07:38:38 am »
I am excited about our aggressive new look side now. Welcome Christian. Prove the doubters (including me) wrong and make us look like clueless tits please.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #322 on: July 23, 2015, 07:40:21 am »
That lineup looks perfectly set up for a game with over 10 goals... I reckon we'll see that towards the ends of games when we're chasing a goal, but probably not to start too many games.

Yeah but as 9 of them would be ours I'm really not that concerned.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:41 am »
Yeah but as 9 of them would be ours I'm really not that concerned.
Touché  :thumbup

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2015, 08:06:41 am »
Delighted with this. Like many on here, initially I wasn't too excited at the prospect of spending so much money on Benteke but I think he is gonna turn out to be a fantastic bit of business.

His interview impressed me, seems like a quiet lad, confident of himself and very much direct and to the point. Can't wait to see him link up with some of the quality we have in the team.

Welcome to the best club on the planet. Here's hoping this time next year he is firmly established as a fan favourite after banging in 20+ goals, terrorising opposition defences and helping us back to the CL.
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2015, 08:15:32 am »
Maybe the Villa hatred comes from the pain of 1990? Probably time for them to let it go if that's the case!

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #326 on: July 23, 2015, 08:19:06 am »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sturridge on the right of a 4-3-3 at times when he's back. Something like:

Firmino
Benteke
Sturridge

Coutinho
Henderson

Milner

Moreno
Sakho
Skrtel
Clyne

Mignolet

With Sturridge coming off the right as long as his head is right to do that could be quite tasty.
Milner as controller? Seems a waste of his talent, and I'd be surprised if Rodgers use him in that role, considering we haven't even tried it during pre season.

But lets say he does, those same players could just as well be a 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield. Of course the difference in formation doesn't mean that much, but I prefer to have our best attacker more central.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:26 am »
I do remember Craig DS shooting me down for saying we'll spend over £35m on benteke and ings.

No chance he said, made up figure  ;D
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2015, 08:30:09 am »
Milner as controller? Seems a waste of his talent, and I'd be surprised if Rodgers use him in that role, considering we haven't even tried it during pre season.

But lets say he does, those same players could just as well be a 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield. Of course the difference in formation doesn't mean that much, but I prefer to have our best attacker more central.
We actually have, kind of. Allen was the main DM against Adelaide but frequently got forward to press and attack, with Milner dropping in to cover for him for large portions. It looked like quite a conscious decision based on the way the two of them and Henderson were communicating with one another.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2015, 08:31:25 am »
We have quite the strikeforce now. Very happy with his signing. He's scored so many goals against us, glad to get rid of that too  ;)
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: July 23, 2015, 08:40:45 am »
Christian Benteke doesn't excite Liverpool fans like Roberto Firmino even though 95 per cent have never seen him play, but I worry Belgian won't be suited to Reds style
  • Liverpool confirmed signing of Christian Benteke for £32.5m on Wednesday
  • Reds added Brazil international Roberto Firmino to their squad for £29m
  • Most Liverpool fans won't have seen Firmino play - YouTube doesn't count
  • But supporters are more excited by him than proven striker Benteke
  • Benteke has torn teams apart but we have also seen his touch go awry
  • I worry that he might not fit in with Brendan Rodgers' style of play

By JAMIE CARRAGHER FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 22:30, 22 July 2015 | UPDATED: 02:12, 23 July 2015

They are the men Brendan Rodgers believes will transform Liverpool’s goal return; two massive signings whose fortunes will define the new season.

The different reactions to the arrivals of Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke, however, could not be more stark.

Though 95 per cent of Liverpool supporters have never seen Firmino in action — YouTube doesn’t count — they believe he is already on his way to becoming an icon.

He comes from Brazil, his style is similar to Luis Suarez’s and his form for Hoffenheim was brilliant, leaving fans saying: ‘Imagine what he’ll be like for us!’

That is the mystique of buying players from abroad. Firmino could well be another Suarez; he could also be another Alberto Aquilani.

Contrast that to Benteke, who has become the second-biggest signing in Liverpool’s history after scoring 42 goals in 89 Premier League appearances for Aston Villa, a team that has fought for survival in each of the three years he was there.

Only Sergio Aguero (55), Suarez (53) and Robin van Persie (44) have scored more in the top flight since he marked his debut with a goal against Swansea in September 2012.

Can you imagine what Liverpool fans would be saying about Firmino if the 32 goals he has scored in all competitions over the past two years for Hoffenheim — whose finishing positions were ninth and eighth — had come during a fight against the drop?

You can see what I am getting at. It has always fascinated me to see the reaction to those who are brought in from foreign leagues compared to when there is a transfer between Premier League clubs. There are no secrets about players in England. We know all there is to know.

So while we’ve been impressed by how Benteke has torn teams apart — Liverpool, against whom he scored five goals in six games, have really suffered — we also know when his touch has been poor and his lack of interest has been apparent. He can be devastating and infuriating in equal measure.

The hope at Liverpool is that surrounding him with better players will see him become even more devastating and consistent. I like him as a striker and actually think he would be great for Chelsea. Jose Mourinho likes that profile of forward and sets his teams up to get the best out of them.

My worry at Liverpool is, will he be suited to the short, sharp and incisive passing game that Rodgers favours? Brendan wants his side to play through teams, rather than getting the ball into him from wide areas, a fact Tim Sherwood pointed out as soon as Liverpool’s interest became public.

Parallels have already been drawn with Andy Carroll and people have pointed out that Rodgers wasted no time in getting rid of him but that decision had nothing to do with the fact that Carroll was a big man. It was purely down to him lacking pace and movement.

Those are qualities Benteke does not lack but his biggest problem at the moment, where a lot of Liverpool fans are concerned, is that they know him. He would have liked the welcome that Firmino has received, but in a few months a warm reception will count for nothing.

All that will matter is how many goals they have managed to score. That alone will determine how popular they become.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3171318/Christian-Benteke-doesn-t-excite-Liverpool-fans-like-Roberto-Firmino-95-cent-never-seen-play-worry-Belgian-won-t-suited-Reds-style.html

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: July 23, 2015, 08:45:25 am »
some villa fans hate us because we haven't fallen as far as them and our fans still dream as the club is still capable of challenging from time to time.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Ozzie Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #332 on: July 23, 2015, 09:11:46 am »
Welcome to the best club in the world Christian. Give your all and we are all right behind you. Show us commitment and effort and in return we will afford you patience.   Take a look around, a deep breath, compose yourself and fight like fuck out on the pitch.  Make a name for yourself, a true romance lies in wait for you just have to scratch beneath the surface and its there, burning like fire waiting to engulf you with its flames. Our bird is like no other.

You Sir are a poet :wave
I love being part of this big Red family, we are Liverpool Football club, we will win

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2015, 09:15:00 am »
He didn't take pens for Villa did he?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #334 on: July 23, 2015, 09:17:51 am »
This signing has certainly polarised opinion. I must admit, I wasn't too keen on him signing for us. But, now that he is here, I'll back him and hope he fires us back to our perch. Here's hoping he hits the ground running and bags 20 league goals or more.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:19 am »
He didn't take pens for Villa did he?

He did.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:20 am »
He did.

So his real goal count is lower. Not as impressive.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2015, 09:26:54 am »
So his real goal count is lower. Not as impressive.
Only 6 of his 42 league goals were pens, big deal.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2015, 09:27:17 am »
We actually have, kind of. Allen was the main DM against Adelaide but frequently got forward to press and attack, with Milner dropping in to cover for him for large portions. It looked like quite a conscious decision based on the way the two of them and Henderson were communicating with one another.
That will happen from time to time, but it was still clear that Allen was the main DM, as you say. We still have a few pre season games left, and if we don't try Milner as the controller in those I don't think we will when the season starts.

It would be a really strange signing if that is the intention, Milner's far better further up the pitch.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #339 on: July 23, 2015, 09:34:11 am »
That lineup looks perfectly set up for a game with over 10 goals... I reckon we'll see that towards the ends of games when we're chasing a goal, but probably not to start too many games.
Think that's kind of optimistic, although if we do score 10, I'd be well happy...
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: July 23, 2015, 09:34:29 am »
"I think most fans expected him to lean with his head, but that is a common misconception. He clearly shows his versatility with this lean."

Read this post on reddit and it's too funny to not be posted here.

;D

Hope he does well
YNWA.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: July 23, 2015, 09:38:46 am »
Only 6 of his 42 league goals were pens, big deal.
Too many. Its been widely accepted that he is this 1 in 2 forward. That label is a bit of a stretch for 36 goals in 88 games. An Achilles injury layoff, low dribbles attempted per 90 count and a 39% dribble success rate makes for a very worrying set of stats. I'm not convinced he'll even keep his place in the team ahead of Origi.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #342 on: July 23, 2015, 09:38:46 am »
Welcome Christian!

Is it the first time we may have an all black front line - Daniel & Christian?  #MIB / #ScouseAndyColeDwightYorke
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #343 on: July 23, 2015, 09:38:54 am »

*snip*

Ugh. Thanks Carragher, for that. In the Daily Heil as well. Gah! I don't think the problem is that the fans know Benteke. They know Aguero and Hazard too and I think they would be pretty excited if they came to Liverpool. The problem is they know him and are unconvinced by his style, that is something totally different. As for "you only like Firmino because you don't know him", well, yeah, the excitement is because we don't know what he will bring but it bodes well. If Aguero arrived we would also be excited because we know exactly what he would bring. Lack of excitement over Benteke is not a function of excitement over Firmino.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: July 23, 2015, 09:39:57 am »
Interesting:

"Benteke has scored 74% of his Premier League goals (31/42) after January 1st."

One of the factors can be that he returned from horrific injury last season and then scored like 11 goals in last games of the season.
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2015, 09:42:26 am »
The bitterness on Villa Talk is through the roof, why do they hate us so much? Not like there's any rivalry there at all. Weird.
Anyway, welcome Benteke, I hope they're all right about you. Do think he'll surprise people here.

Offline REDbrown

• Kopite
« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2015, 09:44:04 am »
some villa fans hate us because we haven't fallen as far as them and our fans still dream as the club is still capable of challenging from time to time.
The bitterness on Villa Talk is through the roof, why do they hate us so much? Not like there's any rivalry there at all. Weird.
Anyway, welcome Benteke, I hope they're all right about you. Do think he'll surprise people here.
well, united is the most watched team in brum  :wave

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9912919/who-is-the-most-watched-premier-league-team
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:47:08 am by REDbrown »
<message deleted>

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2015, 10:19:09 am »
This signing has certainly polarised opinion.

Which is odd, isn't it? A 1 in 2 striker over 3 years in the Premier League with an average team around him. Only 24, has his peak years ahead of him, will be surrounded by players who are capable of giving him service through the middle or from wide positions.

We need goals, every man and his dog has been saying we need goals. Benteke = goals. I can't see how this signing can be anything other than a good thing, especially considering our other signings this summer. Sure, no signing is guaranteed, there are always know unknowns and unknown unknowns, but this one is clearly on the safer side of the spectrum.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2015, 10:19:49 am »
I wouldn't have bought him, but that's why Rodgers is Liverpool manager and I'm not. At least for now.

Since the key to having a good season is harvesting maximum points from the teams outside the top six, I hope he absolutely rips the joint up. As long as he looks interested and does his best, he'll be OK.
Xerxes MBE

Offline alfonso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2015, 10:22:09 am »
They are bellends who don't understand that as we have one of the biggest fan bases in football and still one of the most successful, we shouldn't be down in the gutter with them and have the same mindset. One poster wrote:
"He's signed for the club I despise the most...and this hasn't helped."
The tool who wrote that has an avatar of Merseyside born and bred Liverpool fan Daniel Craig.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #350 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:34 am »
He seems very two footed which is nice. The goal they show a lot against United was pinged in nicely on his left, the free kick against QPR was with his right which presumably is his favoured foot.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: July 23, 2015, 10:30:50 am »
Villa hate us probably because we all hate them. Know loads of Evertonians who can't stand them either. Can't believe they've managed to avoid relegation for so many seasons with that shit side. Negative, obnoxious twats.

Do they hate Benteke now as well?

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: July 23, 2015, 10:31:14 am »
Think you'll find it's the same with a lot of clubs to be honest. It comes with the territory of being one of the biggest clubs around, people like to see us fail. You see that mentality in the teams we play against as well, they come out hell for leather against us even when we're 6th/7th in the league and distinctly average.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: July 23, 2015, 10:32:07 am »
Ugh. Thanks Carragher, for that. In the Daily Heil as well. Gah! I don't think the problem is that the fans know Benteke. They know Aguero and Hazard too and I think they would be pretty excited if they came to Liverpool. The problem is they know him and are unconvinced by his style, that is something totally different. As for "you only like Firmino because you don't know him", well, yeah, the excitement is because we don't know what he will bring but it bodes well. If Aguero arrived we would also be excited because we know exactly what he would bring. Lack of excitement over Benteke is not a function of excitement over Firmino.

It's the shadow of Andy Carroll and a fear that the management are repeating the debacle of yesteryear.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: July 23, 2015, 10:32:52 am »
They honestly are the most delusional fans out there. I lived with one for a year during Uni and it was something to behold.

I hope Benteke thrives with us. There is no doubt he is a brilliant player, it's just whether we can use it effectively.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: July 23, 2015, 10:33:11 am »
Think you'll find it's the same with a lot of clubs to be honest. It comes with the territory of being one of the biggest clubs around, people like to see us fail. You see that mentality in the teams we play against as well, they come out hell for leather against us even when we're 6th/7th in the league and distinctly average.

Perhaps they see Liverpool as a club that Aston Vila could have been but did not. I see them as a cautionary tale of what we could one day deteriorate into becoming unles we advance and improve.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: July 23, 2015, 10:44:45 am »
I think we remind them how far they have fallen. Every time I go to Villa Park (I sit with the the home fans there), they are convinced that they will beat us because Liverpool are nothing special. They're not wrong about that, but we beat them every time and it drives them mental. Not even their recent good form at Anfield cheers them up.
Xerxes MBE

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #357 on: July 23, 2015, 10:46:36 am »
Beast mode.

Nice to see that professionals help out with house painting obligations.

Offline darcy171

• Kopite
« Reply #358 on: July 23, 2015, 10:50:04 am »
Welcome Chris! Happy with this now it's done, and hopefully he'll rack up the goals early on.

I caved and had a quick trawl through Villa Talk.  :lmao

They seem to genuinely hate us! Which is pretty funny in itself as I don't think they've ever been on our radar in one way or another! One even referred to us as "Liverplop"  ;D

But enough about them, can't wait to see him line up in a red shirt, and hopefully he'll adapt well to us and Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana can give him plenty of good service.

Offline dast18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: July 23, 2015, 11:01:30 am »
Benteke-teke, he's big and he's fucking hard. No, sorry. But hope he does well obviously! Welcome to the club lad  :wave
If he was Dudek would've saved it...and there would be no film.