Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 397694 times)

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1440 on: December 15, 2014, 09:58:55 am »
They did but that wasnt after a summer of loads of spending. I personally believed to see any real spending we had to win 5 of the 8 games in December to show some form and get through to the CL.

We can still do that. Beat Arsenal, Burnley and Swansea and we could be back in the hunt and then go for it. Maybe then we can spend.

If FSG doesn't give him any money in January, they should just sack him because if they don't trust him
To spend the money, they should not trust him a minute longer with the team. To fail to strengthen in January with a team devoid of strikers who can score goals and lacking a dm apart from Lucas and with such defensively poor fullbacks is suicidal. We will be in a relegation battle if the owners do not either support Rodgers or sack him straight away.

Offline Danan

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1441 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:35 am »
Makovic has started looking much better recently. Played a nice ball for Balotelli.

In order to be fully effective, Markovic needs smart movement from our players ahead of him. The same goes for Coutinho and Lallana. That is why Brendan must give Borini a chance to impress upfront against Bournemouth. He might not be the long term solution, but he might be the stop gap solution, until Sturridge is fit.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1442 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:52 am »

We were atrocious and fully deserved to be thrashed. I saw no real signs of improvement in team play apart from some brief flashes of individual skill. The manager's decisions have gone beyond bizarre into the realm of the twilight zone. What was Lovren doing being recalled for such a key match? Why not sakho then? Why was manquillo not played and instead Moreno was played despite united's reliance on wingers and Moreno not bring as defensively solid as manquillo? Why was Mignolet replaced for this match of all matches? Why was Lucas not playing ?

Really? We looked A LOT better going forward

we had as many shots on target  (9) as in our last four league games combined.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: December 15, 2014, 10:09:13 am »
Much better creative performance for me, ridiculous we didn't score.

I don't know how people cope watching Balotelli get annoyed when he loses the ball and kick someone. He's easily the most frustrating player I can recall over the last decade or so.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #1444 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:51 am »

... I don't know how people cope watching Balotelli get annoyed when he loses the ball and kick someone. He's easily the most frustrating player I can recall over the last decade or so.

Ryan Babel likes this  :P

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1445 on: December 15, 2014, 10:14:06 am »
Really? We looked A LOT better going forward

we had as many shots on target  (9) as in our last four league games combined.
so you wont take into account how poor their midfield and back line was?????

if we stick with that lineup we will struggle v any half organised side
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #1446 on: December 15, 2014, 10:17:03 am »
Let's just remember that that was a very ordinary Man U side, aside from the three or four up front. They were missing a few too.

It's pretty damning that people class yesterday as an improvement. Says it all about our season so far.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1447 on: December 15, 2014, 10:29:57 am »
The same average united side that won 6 on the bounce and are 3rd in the league?

Come on, that was the best we looked going forward since the game against Tottenham

shame our defence is still in tatters though

Offline Alist0r

• Main Stander
« Reply #1448 on: December 15, 2014, 10:51:33 am »
The same average united side that won 6 on the bounce and are 3rd in the league?

Come on, that was the best we looked going forward since the game against Tottenham

And this is the problem. In order to gain any attacking cohesion, we seem to have to sacrifice all of our defensive stability. It shouldn't be either/or, it has to be both. And, Rodgers in his whole time has been unable to produce a side that is defensively sound AND creates chances. And until he does, unless he manages to produce an attack with a freakishly efficient output again (which still wasn't quite good enough last year), then we'll not get anywhere.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1449 on: December 15, 2014, 11:44:39 am »
Even with Sturridge coming back and/or us bringing in another striker, one of the biggest problems we have is goals from midfield.  Other than Gerrard, who else is going to be chipping in?

Sterling will get around 5-10, but Coutinho, Lallana, Henderson and Allen need to be more of a goal threat.  It's not part of Lucas' game and Can and Markovic aren't playing regularly enough to contribute, but those 4 other players need to step up.  Gerrard will get the odd open play goal and a decent amount from penalties and freekicks, but as a team, we just don't carry a threat from anywhere but up front.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: December 15, 2014, 01:39:51 pm »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1451 on: December 15, 2014, 01:52:01 pm »
Agr

Agree totally with you there as if we can get more one on ones with the keeper in 90 minutes than you have seen in a month or two then we were doing something right. The finishing was not there but on another day and with more time up front I think Sterling will come good or at least offer a Sturridge like option for passes down the channels until he comes back. Neither Lambert or Balotelli gives you that channel option and its the way we play (at our best) and with Lallana, Coutinho, SGs vision for a pass then Sterling has to be running behind central defenders to let them utilize their abilities. I was very happy with how we set our stall out yesterday as we had more bodies in their half pressing than I have seen in ages. Utd could not even get out of their half for several minutes but of course our defense left us down again.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1452 on: December 17, 2014, 09:38:01 am »
I thought even balotelli did well when he came on

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1453 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:16 am »
Also, just noticed that Origi has 3 goals in Ligue 1. So then, nothing to suggest that he is going to come in the summer and be our solution. One more Work In Progress player.

And one that only ever seems to score from outside the box. Maybe the Lille team are garbage and don't create any chances but it's not looking too good on the Origi front at the moment. There's something amiss about him at this stage of this career.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1454 on: December 17, 2014, 10:15:40 am »
And one that only ever seems to score from outside the box. Maybe the Lille team are garbage and don't create any chances but it's not looking too good on the Origi front at the moment. There's something amiss about him at this stage of this career.

Origi looks more Ngog than Sturridge in terms of goals. Even Cisse was banging in all kinds at a similar age in France.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: December 17, 2014, 10:30:22 am »
Origi looks more Ngog than Sturridge in terms of goals. Even Cisse was banging in all kinds at a similar age in France.

Sturridge wasn't prolific at 19.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1456 on: December 17, 2014, 10:31:35 am »

He looks like a wide player playing as a CF. Could go either way.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #1457 on: December 17, 2014, 10:34:47 am »
From what I've seen Origi's problem is he is in a team with even less quality and confidence going forward than us and he at times has to create chances singlehandedly. That's actually what gets me excited about him coming to Liverpool; he's already on the path to learning that he can be more responsible than older and more experienced players around him. When he comes to Liverpool though he will have to be a bit less speculative as he seems to try a lot of risky things to get things going.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1458 on: December 17, 2014, 10:38:30 am »
Sturridge wasn't prolific at 19.

Yeah but I meant in terms of where they were at when they signed. Origi might well be great in 5 years, I honestly don't know, but if our weakness is scoring goals then some lad who can't score goals in France is unlikely to be the answer.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1459 on: December 17, 2014, 12:15:12 pm »
Big issue with our attack this season is our fullbacks didn`t really offer that much support by overlapping or underlapping; rarely do we see them go beyond opposition back 4. I think it may be one of the reasons why Rodgers opted to use 343 and I hope he sticks with it as Moreno in particular can focus more on going forward - because for a player of such qualities it was a shame we didn`t see him go beyond opposition defences more.

So many times this season our creative attacking midfielders simply didn`t have that option of a fullback arriving and making a run towards the edge of the box. Hopefully we`ll see much more of that from now on and our attack will improve on the whole.

Offline Danan

• Kopite
« Reply #1460 on: December 17, 2014, 12:31:39 pm »

It is very difficult to say at this stage. Origi definitely has all the physical and technical tools to develop into a great striker. Watching him, he reminds me a bit of the young George Weah, from his early Monaco days.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1461 on: December 17, 2014, 12:57:40 pm »
But Suarez and Sturridge back in this team then you would see everyone playing much better. Without them we are are pathetic. No one wants to take responsibility apart from an aging Gerrard
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1462 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:22 pm »
Even Cisse was banging in all kinds at a similar age in France.

Drogba wasn't

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1463 on: December 17, 2014, 01:03:11 pm »
Drogba wasn't

No he wasn't and he was a late bloomer. Origi is deemed as something of a wonderkid but it's a bit strange if we're looking for him to fill the void in terms of goals when he's got no real goalscoring record. Even suggestions of trying to get him in Jan as our saviour when he's got 4 goals in 22 games this season, 6 in 35 last season and 3 for Belgium.

At this point in his career he's no goalscorer. Balotelli scored more last season for Milan than Origi's scored in his professional career!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:08:31 pm by Fromola »

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1464 on: December 17, 2014, 01:10:02 pm »
But Suarez and Sturridge back in this team then you would see everyone playing much better. Without them we are are pathetic. No one wants to take responsibility apart from an aging Gerrard

I agree, you would see us performing better collectively with those two up front, whether we would be as good as least season though, I'm not so sure?

Suarez is a leader who sets the tempo from the front, Sturridge not so much but buzzed off his partner.

Gerrard is another who played with a very high intensity, unfortunately he cannot sustain that these days, but nobody else has stepped up to the plate.

I thought Lallana might but for me he's the type who would add to an already good side rather than make a side into one...

With Lambert people knew what we were getting a plan B and @ £4m in todays market I thinks that's probably the going rate.

Cant be arsed talking about Statutelli any more (as he cant be arsed trying), completely given up on him.   

A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1465 on: December 17, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »
Agr
Agree totally with you there as if we can get more one on ones with the keeper in 90 minutes than you have seen in a month or two then we were doing something right. The finishing was not there but on another day and with more time up front I think Sterling will come good or at least offer a Sturridge like option for passes down the channels until he comes back. Neither Lambert or Balotelli gives you that channel option and its the way we play (at our best) and with Lallana, Coutinho, SGs vision for a pass then Sterling has to be running behind central defenders to let them utilize their abilities. I was very happy with how we set our stall out yesterday as we had more bodies in their half pressing than I have seen in ages. Utd could not even get out of their half for several minutes but of course our defense left us down again.

Will requote this to those that say drop Sterling for tonight ;)
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #1466 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:18 pm »
Glimpses of markovic tonight just needs to learn you dont always have to pass to gerrard

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1467 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:35 pm »
I have to say we need a forward like Sturridge and Suarez -  a mobile forward who roams all over the place and who is clinical to make us functional not one like Lambert or Balotelli  - although this type of player would be a good option off the bench. We got to play Sterling there for now until we can get someone in January.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1468 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:39 pm »
Great attacking display tonight.

Markovic, sterling, lallana and coutinho all played very well

Online Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #1469 on: December 17, 2014, 10:08:51 pm »
Lallana was really good tonight, better in that role.

Markovic was really good too, looked confident tonight which is great... Bit worried about him playing that wing back role against better teams though.. Strange thing to like but seeing him attempting back heels and flicks late on in the game is encouraging in my opinion purely as it's something he wouldn't have even thought of trying 2 months back so it's good to see him playing his own game and his confidence shining through.

I really do think Markovic will be great for us.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1470 on: December 17, 2014, 10:16:35 pm »
Would love to see Sterling and Sturridge leading the line. Pace.  :lickin

Markovic could play the Sterling role.  :-X

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »

Markovich is completely different to what I thought he was- although he is very quick, he's more of a pass / move player, would be ideal playing at the tip of a diamond behind a front two, he wants to burst forward  and he's got an eye for a through-ball, he's not a dribbler. I think one of the issues with our business last summer has been the balance of the squad, we've now got alot of players who could play as a number 10 but need effective movement and width to get the best from them because they are most comfortable cutting back inside or playing centrally - (Coutinho, Lallana, Markovich)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1472 on: December 17, 2014, 10:28:37 pm »

Markovich is completely different to what I thought he was- although he is very quick, he's more of a pass / move player, would be ideal playing at the tip of a diamond behind a front two, he wants to burst forward  and he's got an eye for a through-ball, he's not a dribbler. I think one of the issues with our business last summer has been the balance of the squad, we've now got alot of players who could play as a number 10 but need effective movement and width to get the best from them because they are most comfortable cutting back inside or playing centrally - (Coutinho, Lallana, Markovich)
Agree, when you see Markovic and Sterling on the wings you can see they are not really that good of a dribblers - at least imo - in a sense that they don`t use those Ronaldo-esque tricks to beat fullbacks. I think both would excel in no.10 at the tip of the diamond, taking the ball and carrying it at pace and really causing mayhem.

I don`t know what Markovic`s contribution by the end of the season is gonna be in terms of goals and assists but after one big nothingness so far at least now he showed the hints of why we brought and why we can incorporate him in the team that we are building right now. And the best thing is he`ll be better and better with every week as he gets more and more determined and aggressive in his game.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #1473 on: December 17, 2014, 10:43:59 pm »
Very promising performance from Markovic, hope he stays in the team.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1474 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:04 pm »
Sterling is so gonna be a center-forward in a year or two once he figures out how to generate more power in his shooting and of course the timing of his runs. I remember when Henry as a young player was moved to a no.9 position from the wing he needed a good few months to figure it out and was very wasteful in the process. Obviously Raheem probably won`t be as good but he will be good enough as the central position is much better for his skill-set rather than being isolated on the wing trying to outrun the fullbacks.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1475 on: December 17, 2014, 10:51:15 pm »
Sterling deserves his own thread. Guy is honestly amazing. 20 years old...

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1476 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:16 pm »
Sterling looks a natural centre forward. Love his pace and composusre on the ball. Lazar looks quality and has so much pace as well. Things clicked today and it was beautiful watching that kind of attacking play. Lallana and Coutinho getting past defenders and Gerrard taking some shots from outside the box. Thats what the attack should look like. I hope Lambert doesn't stroll back into the team because he would kill this style that we seem to be developing.
Seen us win everything

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1477 on: December 17, 2014, 11:03:30 pm »
All this time I failed to realize that out attacking problem was hidden in Sterling's ridiculous haircut. He shaved it, and the goals started flowing. We should hire a barber, not a shrink...

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: December 17, 2014, 11:07:37 pm »
Sterling is so gonna be a center-forward in a year or two once he figures out how to generate more power in his shooting and of course the timing of his runs. I remember when Henry as a young player was moved to a no.9 position from the wing he needed a good few months to figure it out and was very wasteful in the process. Obviously Raheem probably won`t be as good but he will be good enough as the central position is much better for his skill-set rather than being isolated on the wing trying to outrun the fullbacks.

Not sure he has the stature to be a top top centre forward and at the moment he lacks composure in front of goal he doesn't have what say Fowler and Owen had in front of goal at the same age. I think he could maybe be a good one in two striker and/or support striker. But at this stage I'd worry he wouldn't be clinical enough to be the main lead striker like we saw against United at the weekend; even tonight he had a great chance for a hatty but didn't take it. 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline WillyWonka

• Has no real issue with losing games actually. Could be Veruca Salt but don't tell the Squirrels
  • Kopite
« Reply #1479 on: December 17, 2014, 11:08:31 pm »
Lallana was excellent. When Sturridge is fit we'll actually struggle to fit in our attacking players who are playing at the level that is required. Coutinho will be the most likely to lose out.