Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 397706 times)

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
  • Kick Out The Jams, Motherfuckers!
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1320 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:01 am »
WTF, WTF?  ???  ;)
"Reuniting Status Quo would be like trying to get your own dick up your arse - impossible."
St Francis De Rossi

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1321 on: December 12, 2014, 11:33:33 am »
Would rather have Iago Aspas back than Torres.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1322 on: December 12, 2014, 11:55:55 am »
People always say if you take Balotelli's penalities away he'd be a 1 in 4 striker. Out of interest, is there a way of finding out how many of Lambert's Premier League goals from last season were from open play?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1323 on: December 12, 2014, 11:59:01 am »
Lambert got more Premier League goals in his two seasons with Southampton than Torres did in his time at Chelsea.

Balotelli got way more goals at Milan than what Torres is on course for.

I have no idea why people would want Torres other than sentimentality for stuff that happened half a decade ago.

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #1324 on: December 12, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »
Torres??? Dear god.... The fuck has he done for the last 3-4 years for us to even bring him in on a trial?

Offline flyingbulletsfromjohnarne

• Main Stander
« Reply #1325 on: December 12, 2014, 12:05:33 pm »
Torres??? Dear god.... The fuck has he done for the last 3-4 years for us to even bring him in on a trial?

Can he move 'Tick'

Gets nod over Lambert

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #1326 on: December 12, 2014, 12:20:25 pm »
Can he move 'Tick'

Gets nod over Lambert

Not going to go along with slighting Lambert with you, but all strikers at all clubs can move. The footballing world doesn't just include Lambert and Torres

Offline Leosheer

• Main Stander
  • This is Anfield
« Reply #1327 on: December 12, 2014, 01:51:55 pm »
Mario has never been a prolific scorer but his stats (taken from Wiki) aren't bad

Inter 20 in 59 games; Manchester City 20 in 54; AC Milan 26 in 43  (66 in 156 ie  a goal in every 2.4 games)

We are clearly not playing to his strengths but what are they (in goal-scoring terms)? Has anyone seen an analysis of the types of goals he has scored?

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #1328 on: December 12, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »
Id take Torres over any of our available strikers we have at the minute, sad state of affairs but i think that he could still do a job for us.
An interesting fact, Torres asked to scrap the deal with Chelsea  at the last moment, only for Henry to say no. The money was too good to refuse and they thought they could get an inform striker in Carroll for  a lot less.
History tells us they got it right, but Torres is a player who "feels the love", something he never got at Chelsea and certainly not Milan. I often wonder what would have happened had he stayed and forged a partnership with Suarez.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1329 on: December 12, 2014, 02:41:22 pm »
An interesting fact, Torres asked to scrap the deal with Chelsea  at the last moment, only for Henry to say no. The money was too good to refuse and they thought they could get an inform striker in Carroll for  a lot less.
History tells us they got it right, but Torres is a player who "feels the love", something he never got at Chelsea and certainly not Milan. I often wonder what would have happened had he stayed and forged a partnership with Suarez.

Interesting thought. I reckon it would have been brilliant. For both of them. Sadly, we'll never know.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1330 on: December 12, 2014, 02:41:40 pm »

Far more likely to pay whatever it takes to get Origi IMO to return from his loan

I don't know if it's being mentioned but Origi's having a very tough time in France currently.

Being booed by his own fans for his poor performance and now over 10 hours without scoring, including a missed pen last night.

It's time to get him out of there.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1331 on: December 12, 2014, 02:47:38 pm »
I don't know if it's being mentioned but Origi's having a very tough time in France currently.

Being booed by his own fans for his poor performance and now over 10 hours without scoring, including a missed pen last night.

It's time to get him out of there.

Why would any of those things make you want to pay a substantial amount of money to bring him here early?

Can't score in France, not playing well, we already own him anyway. I know, let's shell out even more millions to get him here in Jan!

Doesn't add up at all.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #1332 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51:27 pm »
As a frequent watcher of Ligue 1, why we went for Origi over Lacazette is a mystery. Why we went for Origi at all was perplexing to me.

Leave him in France for the season, if he can't handle the pressure over there, there's no use introducing him to our present clusterfuck.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1333 on: December 12, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »
Why would any of those things make you want to pay a substantial amount of money to bring him here early?

Can't score in France, not playing well, we already own him anyway. I know, let's shell out even more millions to get him here in Jan!

Doesn't add up at all.

Agree. Also, I'm a little sceptical to the whole idea that a young striker is the solution to all our problems. If Origi was to arrive next month, you know he'd have all the pressure in the world on him to succeed. After all, everyone says we lack pace, so as soon as we bring in any player who is fast, he'll be seen as a saviour. The interesting thing with that is we think it's OK for Markovic to grow. He doesn't have to perform, since he's young. Apparently, if we sign Origi, he'll have to perform from day one.

It's just desperation. What we need is to get more from the current group of players.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1334 on: December 12, 2014, 02:53:06 pm »

Doesn't add up at all.

Leaving him there will destroy the confidence of the young lad?? His head is obviously elsewhere.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1335 on: December 12, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »

As a frequent watcher of Ligue 1, why we went for Origi over Lacazette is a mystery. Why we went for Origi at all was perplexing to me.

Leave him in France for the season, if he can't handle the pressure over there, there's no use introducing him to our present clusterfuck.

Agree with you pal...I'm not a regular watcher of French football but i do tele an interest. I always felt we went for Origi based on him being young and picked by Belgium.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1336 on: December 12, 2014, 02:55:20 pm »
Leaving him there will destroy the confidence of the young lad?? His head is obviously elsewhere.

If he can't deal with the situation in Lille why do you think he'd be able to deal with the situation at Liverpool?

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1337 on: December 12, 2014, 02:55:23 pm »
Lambert got more Premier League goals in his two seasons with Southampton than Torres did in his time at Chelsea.

Balotelli got way more goals at Milan than what Torres is on course for.

I have no idea why people would want Torres other than sentimentality for stuff that happened half a decade ago.

Agree with this. El Nino is fucked up and lost his mojo a long time ago. Watching him play now, he reminds me of Morientes. Once a prolific goalscorer, but now he has lost most of his pace and confidence, looks like he couldn't hit a barn door.
Continually on 11,420.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1338 on: December 12, 2014, 03:02:23 pm »
Agree with you pal...I'm not a regular watcher of French football but i do tele an interest. I always felt we went for Origi based on him being young and picked by Belgium.
Rodgers says it wasn't based on that.

"You see a lot of good players, but this kid - for 19 years of age - he burst onto the scene at the World Cup, but we'd tracked him before that, we'd seen him as a young player playing in the youth internationals. He has everything to be world class.

And from Origi.

"The coach called me often, he invited me over, showed me a compilation of my matches since I was in the Under 15s and knew everything about me.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1339 on: December 12, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »
Can he move 'Tick'

Gets nod over Lambert

Getting kicked in the balls isn't as bad as getting shot.

That doesn't mean it makes sense for me to be kicked in the balls.

I'm not sure why people are creating this false dichotomy of "Lambert or Torres" (the same Lambert who has out scored Torres 3 years in a row) when there's 100s of strikers out there
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1340 on: December 12, 2014, 03:40:12 pm »
were gunna bounce in January

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1341 on: December 13, 2014, 03:23:00 am »
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/415068/Liverpool-Fernando-Torres-Chelsea-Brendan-Rodgers

So predictable  ;D . Hello journos  :wave

Lets make a list of players we'd like to see end up at spurs. Journos will link em with liverpool in 2 days, and Spurs will actually sign them come Jan

Offline Gegenpresser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1342 on: December 13, 2014, 03:58:02 am »
People always say if you take Balotelli's penalities away he'd be a 1 in 4 striker. Out of interest, is there a way of finding out how many of Lambert's Premier League goals from last season were from open play?

He scored 6 from open play situations. He was ranked 79th for open play goal rate. In Serie A, Mario was ranked 44th with a similar rate and 6 open play goals.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1343 on: December 13, 2014, 04:05:16 am »

Hopefully not dead cat bounce.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1344 on: December 13, 2014, 06:49:04 am »

Down to the championship
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1345 on: December 13, 2014, 06:56:22 am »
Does the Gerrard - Torres 'understanding' not give anyone 'pause'?

Does the fact that FT has previously been a prolific scorer (with US) not mean anything to anyone?

Are people arguing that Torres on a free, low base wages and performance incentives/bonuses, short-contract (but renewable if milestones are met) would be a net negative?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:28:58 am by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Darth Red

• Kopite
« Reply #1346 on: December 13, 2014, 07:08:27 am »
That understanding is a long time ago now - both players were at their peak then and now both have declined as footballers and are well past their best.

Torres is finished and it would be a joke for us to sign another striker who can't find the net. We need to move forward not going even further backwards.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1347 on: December 13, 2014, 07:30:24 am »
That understanding is a long time ago now - both players were at their peak then and now both have declined as footballers and are well past their best.

Torres is finished and it would be a joke for us to sign another striker who can't find the net. We need to move forward not going even further backwards.

So, if was "finding the net" with AC Milan, you'd be OK with him coming back on the same terms?

Why would AC Milan and CFC be willing to let him go for free if he were scoring regularly (of course), though?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Darth Red

• Kopite
« Reply #1348 on: December 13, 2014, 11:01:25 am »
So, if was "finding the net" with AC Milan, you'd be OK with him coming back on the same terms?

Why would AC Milan and CFC be willing to let him go for free if he were scoring regularly (of course), though?
No I really don't want him coming back. Even on his last couple of seasons with us he was on the slide and then got worse at Chelsea. If he improves for Milan fair play to him but he's not going to catapult us up the league.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #1349 on: December 13, 2014, 11:13:40 am »
Emile Heskey is available as well if Torres needs a partner lol...Torres
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1350 on: December 13, 2014, 11:45:03 am »
How's Rabbie 'Keano' Keane doing over in the MLS ? Time to bring him and El Nino back and reignite that legendary partnership that never was.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1351 on: December 13, 2014, 03:34:36 pm »
My friends in France tell me Djibril Cisse has not yet retired. Just saying.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: December 13, 2014, 03:39:57 pm »
My friends in France tell me Djibril Cisse has not yet retired. Just saying.

Banging them in is our Cisse, rivalling Balo for golden boot at the moment ;)
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1353 on: December 13, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »
Gosh, the level of humor and "wind up" in this thread is just so high.

Jesus, you lot are on a different plane, rarefied air.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1354 on: December 13, 2014, 08:19:52 pm »
Stop being so precious.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1355 on: December 14, 2014, 12:52:29 am »
Does the Gerrard - Torres 'understanding' not give anyone 'pause'?

Does the fact that FT has previously been a prolific scorer (with US) not mean anything to anyone?

Are people arguing that Torres on a free, low base wages and performance incentives/bonuses, short-contract (but renewable if milestones are met) would be a net negative?

He's not going to come back here and he certainly wouldn't perform better than our current crop of strikers. The Fernando Torres era of Liverpool has passed and whilst it was entertaining I'd rather we moved on. Trying to re-live the glory of a past era has rarely yielded positive results.

Our biggest problem has been not replacing key players adequately. I'd rather we tried to address this than naively bring back, excuse the phrase, yesterday's hero. If we tried to bring Fernando back I'd start thinking that those in charge of our player recruitment have literally run out of ideas.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1356 on: December 14, 2014, 01:30:53 am »
He's not going to come back here and he certainly wouldn't perform better than our current crop of strikers. The Fernando Torres era of Liverpool has passed and whilst it was entertaining I'd rather we moved on. Trying to re-live the glory of a past era has rarely yielded positive results.

Our biggest problem has been not replacing key players adequately. I'd rather we tried to address this than naively bring back, excuse the phrase, yesterday's hero. If we tried to bring Fernando back I'd start thinking that those in charge of our player recruitment have literally run out of ideas.

Exactly.

Gerrard/Torres doesn't excite me anymore than Dalglish/Rush does
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1357 on: December 14, 2014, 04:18:57 am »

Exactly.

Gerrard/Torres doesn't excite me anymore than Dalglish/Rush does

The future is Coutinho/Sturridge. With Markovic and Sterling either side. ;)

We've really got to look forward not back. Too many people looking back and far too often missing the point of how back in our glorious past, we were the club that was the quickest to adopt new ideas and do it properly. We were the most forward thinking club out there and now we desperately hang on to our past. For a while Brendan seemed to be channelling that spirit of looking forward, bringing back the symbolism but with the most modern methods available and that's what we need. If we want to be the best, we have to be ahead of the curve.

Let's not hear about Torres and Gerrard anymore. Instead, it would be great to hear about perhaps buying Firminho or Lacazette (I'll be honest, I haven't seen much of either player but the point is that we need to look forward and not back).
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1358 on: December 14, 2014, 05:36:44 am »
its not the winter transfer forum and no links to this player but we could do worse than Defoe on a short term deal....

Torres, nah not for me.....we certainly need a striker though.

Origi is playing for a side who knock the ball down the wings for him and then none of his team mates cross the half way line to support him, no wonder he cant score...

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1359 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:35 am »

We've really got to look forward not back. Too many people looking back and far too often missing the point of how back in our glorious past, we were the club that was the quickest to adopt new ideas and do it properly. We were the most forward thinking club out there and now we desperately hang on to our past. For a while Brendan seemed to be channelling that spirit of looking forward, bringing back the symbolism but with the most modern methods available and that's what we need. If we want to be the best, we have to be ahead of the curve.

Let's not forget that This is the main reason why the transfer committee was erected.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.