Author Topic: How happy are you with the make up of the squad?  (Read 16964 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
How happy are you with the make up of the squad?
« on: September 2, 2014, 12:09:05 am »
Unless something mental happens and we find out we're also signing Victor Valdes on a free in the next few days then the transfer window is completed for us. With the arrival of the Champions League we needed to ensure that we had the requisite depth to take on the Premier League as well as a European adventure. We had to lose Suarez but were able to invest all of the money plus a further £32m+ or so net on signings as well.

Here are the simple in and outs.

In: Balotelli, Can, Lallana, Lambert, Lovren, Manquillo, Markovic, Moreno, Stewart, Origi (Loan to Lille)

Out: Luis Alberto, Aspas, Bijev, Coady, Ibe, Ilori, Kelly, Ngoo, Origi, Reina, Robinson, Sama, Smith, Suarez, Teixeira, Wisdom.

I was going to do one of those fancy team builder things, but I realised that we would likely change formations and positions based on who is available. Doing the Diamond formation to illustrate the squad, means you have to put Markovic into attacking midfield, or elsewhere than the wing etc, which further highlights the options that we have in my opinion. You can't really build a formation and just say who slots in where based on who gets injured, because when changes are made, formations are changed and we can move players to their stronger positions.

So because of that, I've highlighted the make up of the squad on our last two visits to White Hart Lane for comparison purposes.

#LFC 2013/2014 First team vs Tottenham Away 0-5
Mignolet, Flanagan, Skrtel, Sakho, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho

Subs
Jones, Toure, Agger, Luis Alberto, Aspas, Moses, Kelly

Other Players
Sturridge, Smith, Teixeira, Ibe

#LFC 2014/2015 First team vs Tottenham Away 0-3
Mignolet, Moreno, Lovren, Sakho, Manquillo, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Sterling, Balotelli, Sturridge

Subs
Jones, Enrique, Can, Lambert, Markovic, Coutinho, Toure.

Other Players
Lallana, Skrtel, Lucas, Johnson, Suso, Flanagan, Borini.

I think we might find lots of agreement, but overall, after the enormity of losing Suarez, do you feel that we have put together the best squad we could have realistically had in preparation for this season? Where do you think we are weak, should we have kept Coates because Agger left or is Toure still suitable cover as fourth choice centre back? Are you happy with Balotelli and a potential return to the diamond? What do you make of the roles of Suso, Lucas and Borini will play in the coming season? What of Flanagan vs Johnson in terms of back up for the wing back positions?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Edit:

Here is the make up of the squad when Brendan Rodgers originally took over

« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 12:23:50 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
Re: How happy are you with the make up of the squad?
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2014, 12:13:13 am »
Could do with an extra body/quality in centre midfield, but yep squad looks good. Can't complain. A lot resting on Balotelli of course - if we are to challenge for the title. Who knows maybe Rodgers can do his magic with another player?

We'll get top 4 even if Balotelli doesn't exceed expectations.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2014, 12:13:55 am »
I'm absolutely delighted, we've invested very wisely in some quality additions and now have what I believe is the strongest squad we've had in years.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2014, 12:15:28 am »
Devested.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2014, 12:16:59 am »
Skrtel didn't play the other day mate.

Anyway, I'm happy with the squad. Would have liked us to bring I a GK but you can't have everything.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 2, 2014, 12:18:04 am »
Skrtel didn't play the other day mate

Correct. I swapped Lovren out for some reason, odd, put it down to tiredness. Fixed it now, thanks for pointing that out

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: September 2, 2014, 12:18:14 am »
So looks like this is us for the first half of the season folks (unless we bring in a free agent e.g. Valdes)

GK: Mignolet, Jones
CB: Lovren, Sakho, Skrtel, Toure
FB: Moreno, Johnson, Manquillo, Enrique, Flanagan
CM: Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Can, Lucas, Suso
AM: Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana, Markovic
FW: Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert, Borini

& Brannagan, Yesil, Dunn, Rossiter, Sinclair, Jones, Ward

Very reasonable and I think we'll do pretty well.

My analysis:

AM: Wow - very very good. And we'll need to be, if you consider the strength in this position at Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, and even Man Utd now.
CM: Also very good. Even Suso is definitely Top 4 quality imho.
FB: Pretty happy there to be honest - 5 starting quality options for 2 positions.
CB: Personally feel that we're weaker without Agger in there, but Lovren is a good option. Pretty strong really.
FW: Looking at that, I'm glad Borini stayed. There's not that much depth there at all really. But if Sturridge and Balotelli click I'm sure we'll do very well, particularly given the strength of our AMs.
GK: Can see why we might want e.g. a Valdes, but it's good enough

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 2, 2014, 12:19:42 am »
Very pleased. I'm happy we're keeping Lucas around; if we'd sold him and never brought anyone in, I'd be slightly concerned about our depth in midfield.

We could have probably done with loaning out Suso and selling Borini, but otherwise I think it's about as complete a squad as we've had in many years.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 2, 2014, 12:22:51 am »
If we can conceal the Ibe shadow then we've got an excellent foundation.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 2, 2014, 12:27:22 am »
Someone on Twitter @TheEngancheRole ended up putting one together based on the diamond anyway so because it's nice and visual I'll pop it in here. Obviously players might move around and I doubt we'll see Markovic in attacking midfield in the centre but who knows?

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #10 on: September 2, 2014, 12:33:50 am »
slightly disappointed with some aspects and pleased with other aspects.

We sold a world class talent.
We've signed some great players on the cheap. 
We appear to have finally addressed a number of issues with the first team.
We've failed to sell some players for market value.
We were promised 60m to spend.  Only spent half of it. 
We still need another midfielder.

I have high standards.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 2, 2014, 12:35:26 am »

I have high standards.

Could get someone like Moutinho in January.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 2, 2014, 12:37:17 am »
How happy am I with the makeup of the squad? 8.5/10, which is pretty freaking happy all told. I think we've handled this transfer window just about as well as we could have, making our squad much stronger overall than it was last year. We can debate quite a bit on whether or not the 1st team has improved, but I would argue that the addition of Balotelli makes up for just enough of Suarez' attacking talent to allow the other additions to nearly cover the rest. Prediction: goals scored takes a moderate hit, but GD itself improves.

It's early days, but we appear to have solved our most serious and easily-solvable problem: the fullbacks. Better attacking skill (exponentially better if you're comparing Johnson's recent form to Moreno's) not only means more chances created but also fewer attacking moves made by the other team after we've given the ball away.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #13 on: September 2, 2014, 12:44:12 am »

I have high standards.

We've spent over 60m though. The suarez funds aren't all for transfers. We can use the remainder for wages and towards other aspects. If the cash is for transfers however, then we've got a great sum for that midfielder (schn..) in January in which we'll have the next few months to see how the midfield situation develops and make a more accurate decision on the midfielder we need.

My biggest disappointment is that we couldn't sell Coates, assiadi,  aspas and paez (although I really don't know much about paez).I would like borini and Johnson to move on but I believe we could do with them for the upcoming season for depth and experience.

Great window otherwise.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: September 2, 2014, 12:53:12 am »
For me, CB is the only proper depth area in the squad. The rest(FB, CM, AM, Striker) are a player too heavy. Maybe you could convince me that Lucas is a good emergency option, but I don't think we'll use him more than 2 games(depending on cup draws) if we have an average season as far as injuries.

We clearly put in the effort to clear out Borini, Assaidi, Suso, and Lucas. It just didn't come off for a variety of reasons. Too much depth is not the worst problem to have, but values will surely plummet. Not trying to offload Johnson or Enrique is a bit strange for me as we are carrying 5 FBs and using an academy player at FB has been done for ages with limited damage taken on.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #15 on: September 2, 2014, 12:54:45 am »
Very happy overall. We made the best out of a bad situation with Luis, but we got the deal done early so we could focus on getting the team right.

Until Mario signed I was worried that we were going to rely on Sturridge a bit too much. Now I thin we have enough depth to the squad now.  Obviously all the new players still have to prove themselves but its not been a bad start.

The key for us is keeping the existing players performing in order for the new ones to settle at their own pace. That is happening with the likes of Sterling and Hendo.

I don't think there was a chance that we would buy a big marquee signing once we missed out on Sanchez. Falcao would've beenit, but its probable that we have dodged a bullet there esp in terms of wages etc. £16m for Mario looks even better business looking at todays deals, allcoming with significant risk as well.

We may still come up a little short in the title race this season, but we'll be in a better position to add more quality next year when we are not thinking about quantity
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #16 on: September 2, 2014, 12:56:11 am »
We've done extremely well IMO.

Disappointed that we couldn't get rid of some players who'll barely play this season, but that's down to them rather than the club; would have left us in a better financial situation.

On the whole, circa 35 million net spend to address pretty much every issue we had in the squad is quite stunning. A keeper to push Mignolet would have been great; hoping the interest in Valdes is genuine and that we get him in a couple of months once he's recovered from his injury.

Think we have a squad that'll enable us to retain our CL place and get to the knockouts this year. That'll be a very good season for me, while a domestic cup win would obviously  be fantastic on top of that.  I think a title challenge may be beyond us this year, especially with how ridiculous Chelsea's squad looks right now.

Looking forward, a long term Gerrard replacement and a top, top winger would enable us to rival any squad out there. Illaremendi and Reus on the muppet list for next summer  :D .
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 12:58:49 am by torbenpiechnik19 »
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 2, 2014, 12:59:25 am »
Overall, pretty happy.

Very happy with our full back upgrades. I reckon we've got a real gem in Moreno. Manquillo has looked fairly solid too, and is an automatic upgrade on a declining Johnson.

Lovren has shown glimpses of being both good and bad since he has been here. Just got to hope when he is more familiar with the system and players he is surrounded by, that he'll prove to be consistently good. I reckon he will grow in to a collossus at the back.

Balotelli, I have my reservations about. I am not sure he is the player to replace Suarez (I know he isnt neccasarily a direct replacement, but he was our 'big name' forward signing). He is a very good player no doubt, but his attitude has been questionable in the past, and removing penalties and free kicks, his goal scoring record isnt fantastic (not saying its bad either, mind). I have no doubts he will add to the squad and play a big part in our season overall, I just feel he might not be the player to take us to the next level (that would and will be Sterling). I hope he proves me wrong.

Lallana will prove to be a great addition. Cant wait to see him in the red of Liverpool. He fits our system perfectly. He was my favourite non-Liverpool player in the PL last year.

In Markovic and Can, we have got two players who have great potential, and can also offer a lot from the bench. Lambert is a great plan b to have from the bench, and is a bit of a fairytale story too.

As I said, overall im happy. Our squad is far stronger than it was before. We lack the genius of Suarez, but the way Sterling is going, we wont have long to wait until we have one of the worlds best in our squad once more. Glad we have worked on sorting out the defence. Full back positions have already been greatly improved. Centre back area looks to have been improved, though it was a shame to lose Agger. I wouldnt have went with Balotelli myself, but he improves the squad as it was, without a certain Uruguayan. Despite me believing we should have got someone else, he will have my full support.

Sterling will be the key to any potential success this season, provided our defence has indeed been strengthened (which I think it has).

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 2, 2014, 01:30:38 am »
We've done extremely well IMO.

Disappointed that we couldn't get rid of some players who'll barely play this season, but that's down to them rather than the club; would have left us in a better financial situation.

On the whole, circa 35 million net spend to address pretty much every issue we had in the squad is quite stunning. A keeper to push Mignolet would have been great; hoping the interest in Valdes is genuine and that we get him in a couple of months once he's recovered from his injury.

Think we have a squad that'll enable us to retain our CL place and get to the knockouts this year. That'll be a very good season for me, while a domestic cup win would obviously  be fantastic on top of that.  I think a title challenge may be beyond us this year, especially with how ridiculous Chelsea's squad looks right now.

Looking forward, a long term Gerrard replacement and a top, top winger would enable us to rival any squad out there. Illaremendi and Reus on the muppet list for next summer  :D .
To build your post... Yep, if Balotelli's transfer works out well, then we're essentially an Origi, an Ilori, a Reus-style/Reus-level player (basically Reus) and a long term Gerrard replacement (in Gerrard's current position) from a full squad capable of competing seriously in all competitions.

Well, luckily, we already have Origi and Ilori, who should fill important positions next season where we don't have tremendous depth and don't necessarily have depth players who are appropriate for our system. Origi and Ilori definitely are appropriate and have massive talent.

The extra attacker of the Reus type: I think this type signing may not be necessary. It depends, I think, on the success of Balotelli and Markovic. If they're successful, we'll already have four major goalscorers with pace, power and brilliant technique, in Balotelli, Markovic, Sturridge and Sterling, not to mention Origi.

On the Gerrard 'replacement', presumably we'll want someone with a brilliant passing range but who can defend and be disciplined and so on. Can might end up being that guy, actually, but other top sides would probably bring in someone, given that Can might be just a little too young at the moment and Gerrard just a little too old to be relied upon all season.

Oh, and obviously, we will want someone like Valdes as backup, or possibly a better goalkeeper than Mignolet, depending on how he does this season. So far, he had looked superior to last season in some key attributes, and more commanding. So perhaps that won't be necessary.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But that's it! We are two major signings, possibly three, from having a super-elite squad and team! And our squad has a ridiculously low average-age, suggesting that we might find ourselves having one of the most dangerous teams on the planet in a few years' time. Moreno, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Ilori, Can, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Markovic, Sterling, Sturridge, Balotelli and Origi are all bound to improve by a level or two over the coming 2-3 seasons, and that is ridiculous. It's the most exciting squad we've had since I started following Liverpool aboutt 15 years ago, by a distance. Far more potential exists here than the peak Benitez squad.

To keep the players together and add the necessary signings over the next year or so, we need, essentially, to stay in the top 4 and to acquit ourselves well in the CL. The 3-0 against Spurs and United's and Everton's recent form suggest that we are in the 4 teams most likely to finish top 4, and our group in the CL suggests that we should reach the knockouts unless we screw up, big time.

This all sounds awfully Arsenal-like, but in comparison, we really do have a critical mass of world class-potential players and we aren't so silly that we'll allow them to walk over to Man City year after year. We showed that with Suarez, keeping him for an extra year to help achieve our goals, and finally selling him for a near-record. That's how you finally sell your best assets.

Conclusion: This transfer window almost guarantees that as long as we keep this squad together, we will be winning things in the near future.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 01:32:58 am by rscanderlech »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 2, 2014, 01:35:55 am »
Think we're in the position now where we can keep the players we have and spend big on world class players.

We have quality throughout the squad, I just think we need to add another couple top top class players into the team to compete with Europes elite on a regular basis (namely a CM and maybe forward).

Get top 4 again this year and I think we're looking very very good for the future. Huge huge year IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go out next summer and spend big on a player like Pogba or Vidal rather than getting 5-6 players
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 2, 2014, 01:45:09 am »
Think we're in the position now where we can keep the players we have and spend big on world class players.

We have quality throughout the squad, I just think we need to add another couple top top class players into the team to compete with Europes elite on a regular basis (namely a CM and maybe forward).

Get top 4 again this year and I think we're looking very very good for the future. Huge huge year IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go out next summer and spend big on a player like Pogba or Vidal rather than getting 5-6 players
That's a summary of what I posted above!  :D

Probably a top forward, probably a top midfielder - the Juventus guys are indeed rather good - and the return of some young players out on loan, would complete our squad for me, next summer. We'd then have a squad, albeit a young one, to match pretty much any others.

This window was very important for fleshing out the squad with adequate players, with the potential bonus that they're young enough to improve even further. e.g. Markovic

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #21 on: September 2, 2014, 01:48:02 am »
I'm not at all happy with the make up of the squad to be honest. Way too much lipstick, not enough eye-shadow and the mascara is smudged.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #22 on: September 2, 2014, 01:58:13 am »
 It was always going to be a difficult Summer. It isn't every year you're tasked with replacing the third best player in World football but I think the club has responded to the challenge very, very well and I'm optimistic about our fortunes this year.

The main thing for me was improving the defence. Our leakiness cost us the title last year and I think we've addressed most of the major concerns. Our full-back upgrades are possibly the best business we've done in my books because those positions have been neglected for a long time. Moreno looks like he might be an absolute gem and Manquillo looks very solid given his age and inexperience. Failure to organise the backline was a big part of why we shipped so many goals last year and in signing Lovren, I think we'll have that issue sorted when a settled back four get used to each other. Big progress on that front.

In midfield, I'm not so sure. Personally I would have liked to sign someone like Sami Khedira, a player with class and experience. Henderson is brilliant and Allen is both solid and dependable. As much as I love Stevie Gerrard, I have my doubts about his ability to dominate a game like he used to. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong on that front. Emre Can looks like a very good player and if he acclimatises quickly, my worries may prove to be foolish.

As far as our attack goes, I couldn't be happier. Coutinho and Lallana are brilliant options for attacking midfield and Sterling is out of this world and only getting better. Markovic looks like a real talent and is exactly the sort of option we needed last year - someone with pace and intelligence, perfect when we're up against tired legs. Lambert is a solid choice for third choice striker and I imagine he'll be called upon to put in several important shifts this year. He'll need a goal soon though - the longer he waits the harder it'll be for him. Sturridge is outstanding, that goes without saying. That leaves us with you know who. I had my doubts initially. Then I got excited. Now I'm convinced Mario will be a success. He has everything needed to be a first class striker and this is the place he can do it. He needs Liverpool more than Liverpool need him and in a stable environment with other top class players, I really think he'll be on for a twenty goal season.

Overall, very happy. Big, strong squad and plenty of top class talent throughout it. This season will be a good one.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 2, 2014, 02:00:05 am »
Really didn't expect us to fill out the squad so effectively in one window & with the high quality... The Balotelli & Moreno deals stand out from the rest by far as probably two of the best value by any club this summer. Would probably have signed one less attacking mid for a more solid top central midfielder.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 2, 2014, 02:05:40 am »
I would've liked to have seen a backup come in for Gerrard (unless Can is his long term successor) but besides that I'm quite happy. Good depth and quality throughout the squad.

Offline Gegenpresser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 2, 2014, 02:06:29 am »
We've got two excellent fullbacks! For different sides of the pitch! :scarf

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 2, 2014, 02:14:37 am »
I am absolutely made up. Losing Suarez hurts, but it's been an absolutely brilliant window. If we sign Valdes--a brilliant low-risk gamble--it'll be nearly perfect. We got our top choice in literally every position except Striker, and there we got Mario freaking Balotelli!

Markovic is a huge, huge talent, one of the best in his age group in the world. Would be hard for a signing to excite me more. Manquillo's ownership situation is confusing, but he was a brilliant bit of scouting, and I think he's exactly what we needed. Lallana was a bit overpriced, but will fit like a glove. Same with Lovren (though I acknowledge it's very hard for fans to assess CBs). Moreno looks like great business so far; didn't have too much of an opinion on him before he came. Balotelli was a good risk to take, and looks like he'll fit well. Lambert is a nice option. Can was a great find at his price.

Really couldn't be happier. Complaining about us not spending as much money as we could is silly, in my opinion. We already have too many bodies; I don't really even see who we should have spent the money on. If we could have shifted Lucas, maybe a top young deep midfielder like Rabiot or Carvalho would have been worth it, but neither of them even moved yet, so they're still there if we want them in January. We filled all our squad holes with the players we wanted.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 02:16:32 am by ElstonGunn »

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: September 2, 2014, 02:22:15 am »
will reserve final judgement until after the Everton game. Once that's over we will be able to tell how easy top 4 will be.

That being said we have 2 premier league quality players for every position now but GK. We need a keeper but after that Transfer windows should be focused on improving the first team.
Some Possible Issues:
Gerrard transition will be hard.
Balo does something stupid
Sturridge and Balo getting injured leaves us a bit exposed.
Sterling getting injured fucks us up, but if Real lose Ronaldo it fucks them up too so meh.
CB needs work

Positives:
RB and LB seem totally sorted.
Markovic Lallana Sterling Coutinho means we always have some creative type no matter what the injuries.
We have a lot of Pace and Strength.
Balo and Sturridge are, on paper, the best top 7 strike partnership other than cities.

I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #28 on: September 2, 2014, 02:36:20 am »
Not convinced in our attack weirdly this season. I think sterling will actually score more goals than balotelli.

What pleases me most is our full back positions are sorted. Still not convinced we have a solid centreback pairing but lovrens capabilities would more than cover up any inadequacies imo.

Midfield looks all right... ALL in all.. we should get top 4. Though i'm aiming much higher after last season obviously.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 2, 2014, 02:40:14 am »
Not convinced in our attack weirdly this season. I think sterling will actually score more goals than balotelli.

What pleases me most is our full back positions are sorted. Still not convinced we have a solid centreback pairing but lovrens capabilities would more than cover up any inadequacies imo.

Midfield looks all right... ALL in all.. we should get top 4. Though i'm aiming much higher after last season obviously.

So you're not convinced by our attack, not convinced by our centre backs and our midfield is just alright. Fucking hell lad do you cry and feel guilty when having a wank?

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 2, 2014, 02:44:34 am »
My conclusion is that we are a very well run club!

p.s. Not sure about Balotelli, particularly given that e.g. Falcao was available even for a season, but anyway, it is what it is.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #31 on: September 2, 2014, 02:56:40 am »
So you're not convinced by our attack, not convinced by our centre backs and our midfield is just alright. Fucking hell lad do you cry and feel guilty when having a wank?

i do sometimes. Each one of them could be a potential son/daughter. :-\

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 2, 2014, 02:57:16 am »
Obviously Suarez was a big departure but I feel this team is way better equipped than the Liverpool team that finished 2nd last season to compete in the league & europe . Even though we have lost our talisman we have a few people that have been waiting to step up *cough cough* Sturridge is the most obvious one.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #33 on: September 2, 2014, 02:58:53 am »
Still not convinced we have the solution to our defensive frailties. Could have done with a top midfielder, hopefully Can excels, because Allen is just too lightweight to be a starter for 40+ games a season.

Two full backs look as though they'll be gems. Similarly, Markovic.

Balotelli was a key addition. We'd have been royally fucked if Sturridge picked up an injury.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 2, 2014, 03:04:07 am »
 :butt I swear I will jump out of the window if I hear the words weak/frail/lightweight/fragile/feeble used to describe Allen

This myth that midfielders have to be barrel chested is getting annoying. Some of the greatest midfield specialists have been slight. Besides Allen got the heart a lion and he doesn't get bullied like some people like to portray.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 03:05:56 am by The Infamous_LFC »

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: September 2, 2014, 03:08:01 am »
For me, CB is the only proper depth area in the squad.

I feel my post might have come off too negatively, but I love the versatility and the talent within the core 18 outfield players. I also only think we have 3 players that should get significant minutes that are in post-prime stages of their career in Johnson, Gerrard, and Lambert. Lambert is likely looking at sporadic starts and bench cameos. Johnson may just be 4th choice as a FB when it all settles. Gerrard is Gerrard. The rest are pre-prime or in the midst of their peak.

Ahead of the back 4, Gerrard is probably the only one sort of stuck as one position. The rest can move back and sideways in many different formations and roles as the games and/or injuries increase.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #36 on: September 2, 2014, 03:19:08 am »
:butt I swear I will jump out of the window if I hear the words weak/frail/lightweight/fragile/feeble used to describe Allen

This myth that midfielders have to be barrel chested is getting annoying. Some of the greatest midfield specialists have been slight. Besides Allen got the heart a lion and he doesn't get bullied like some people like to portray.
Who said they have to be barrel chested?

Coutinho isn't barrel chested, nor is Sterling, but neither get moved off the ball as easily as Allen. He can have the heart of an entire pride of lions, it's still not gonna stop him being brushed aside, far too often.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 2, 2014, 03:29:02 am »
Who said they have to be barrel chested?

Coutinho isn't barrel chested, nor is Sterling, but neither get moved off the ball as easily as Allen. He can have the heart of an entire pride of lions, it's still not gonna stop him being brushed aside, far too often.

Its still a myth though he hardly ever 'gets brushed aside,far too often'. I remember him winning a header against Fellaini and completely out muscling him at times of course he got pushed around a bit too but he had the benefit of the doubt and got the foul. He is way stronger than bloody Coutinho. You don't see the game go past Allen much he is always involved starting off moves and generally breaking up play/covering for fullbacks. Coutinho despite being the bigger talent could never do that because he is slight/weak/lightweight or whatever. Unless you have video proof of Allen getting brushed aside I would suggest you stop spreading this non factual nonsense.

Being small hardly hindered Pirlo,Modric,Makalele. Joe Allens core strength is better than you think, certainly better than those 3 legendary specialist midfielders I mentioned.

Offline Canuck33

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: September 2, 2014, 03:30:14 am »
Squad looks great except the keeper position. Maybe Valdez will be the answer.

I think we might see a fair bit of rotation at CB until Rodgers decides on a favourite combination, but it'll be 2 of Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho, with the third on the bench. Toure will get some cup appearances and possibly Jones as well.

FB looks exiting. The two new lads seem to be the real deal. Expecting Johnson to be the regular bench choice. Flanagan and Enrique in the cups.

Midfield could've used another reinforcement, but Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Can and Lucas will probably do the job. With the likes of Coutinho, Lallana and Suso also available as central options we have plenty of cover.

Attacking midfield and wide players look very exiting. Sterling, Markovic, Lallana and Coutinho should do the trick there. Our strikers are versatile enough to pitch in in these ares as well.

The strike force of Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini and Lambert gives us enough to play either one or two up front.

So all in all quite exited. Should definitely be good enough for top 4, but probably a keeper and a top class creative central midfielder short of title contenders.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 2, 2014, 03:37:59 am »
Negatives:
We haven't got proven stars in their prime:
Arsenal: Ozil, Sanchez
Chelsea: Fabregas, Hazard, Costa
Man City: Toure, Aguero, Kompany
Man Utd: Di Maria, Falcao

Pressing in the diamond
Tactically my biggest concern is the loss of the pressing work Suarez brings in the 4-4-2 diamond. It simply hasn't been replaced in Balotelli or Lambert. Balotelli will need to defensively track more than his used but can't be expected to press like Suarez.  Lambert too isn't a hard working forward and I don't see Borini as good enough to get on the pitch too often which means we've lost a big asset regarding the 4-4-2 diamond. In an attacking sense I think we can cover most of what Suarez brought in this formation but we won't press as well from the front which was really effective for us against weaker teams who struggle to play the ball out of the back (like Man Utd).

Positives:
Pressing in a 4-3-3: Moses was an abomination in that regard and Sterling was our only true winger of any use. A formation with three of Sterling, Lallana, Markovic and Coutinho in front of Allen and Henderson I think is capable of applying a press unmatched by any in the league. With a defense more willing to push up and compress space should contribute nicely so it's something to watch for. It could/should be a really effective for us.

Tactical flexibility:
The squad is really balance, maybe not big name stars but no weak links even in terms of depth. The squad is amazingly versatile and capable of playing just about any tactic Rodgers can drum up.

Pace: We already had plenty and we've added more in Markovic and Balotelli.  Lallana perhaps more in the Henderson sense with constant high tempo work runs. We must have the quickest team in the league by some margin. Even the back half looks quicker.

Balance across the pitch: Two deep with what I'd consider 7-8.5/10 players in ever position. And a great many versatile players (Henderson, Lallana, Can, Flanagan, Sterling) capable of filling multiple positions. I can't envisage a situation where an injury crisis causes us to field a weak team. Mignolet is probably the only player that would significantly effect us if he was injured.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 03:41:52 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.