Author Topic: How happy are you with the make up of the squad?  (Read 16970 times)

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: How happy are you with the make up of the squad?
« Reply #80 on: September 2, 2014, 11:04:29 am »
Very, very happy.

The negatives are that we have too many players on our books that we have no interest in playing. I understand that it's difficult to move players against their wishes, but I hope we're able to sell, rather than loan out, the players we don't want in coming transfer windows. The likes of Aspas, Coates, Assaidi, Borini and a few more could free up wages and money for players we need in the future. I don't like the deal with Manquillo either - he seems like a great talent, but I find it annoying that it isn't up to us completely if he stays beyond this season.

Remains to be seen how they settle, but in defence we should be better this season with Flanagan/Manquillo instead of Johnson, and the seemingly brilliant Moreno on the left (really like the look of him, and not just because of his goal against Spurs). Still a bit unsure of our centre halfs though, and I'm not totally convinced by Mignolet, but I believe the unit as a whole will work better with smarter and more efficient fullbacks.

Gerrard gets plenty of critisism on here, but I don't get most of it. Against Spurs his passing was off, but instead he put in a very solid display from a defensive point of view, and he's too good for almost every team in the league still. Happy that Lucas didn't leave, and with Allen also able to play that role, we have options and the ability to rest Gerrard. I expect a major signing here in a year or perhaps two though, considering Gerrard's age and Lucas struggles post-injury, but for now we're good.

In those two roles in front of Gerrard, whether it is a diamond or 4-3-3, we've got plenty of quality. Henderson is almost a given, then there is Coutinho, Can or Allen depending on opposition and form. Maybe Lallana at times too. My preference is Coutinho because of his technique and playmaking ability, but in any one game, I think we can match any midfield regardless of who starts. Great depth.

In the attacking midfield role (when a diamond) Sterling, Lallana and Coutinho are more than you can ask for. Brilliant players, all of them, and everyone are an option for a front role in a 4-3-3.

The strikers beyond Balotelli and Sturridge are perhaps not great, but I don't care too much about that. Next season we'll have Origi, and this one I expect us to switch formation if one of the main two are injured or suspended. Which means the highly exciting Markovic gets to play more often, with Sterling and Sturridge/Balotelli in a 4-3-3. Perhaps the player I'm most looking forward to seeing this season, believe he's got everything to make it here from what little I've seen and heard. Great mentality, brilliant technique, plenty of pace and seemingly very clever on the pitch. Can't wait to see more of him.

We could also move Sterling up front if we want to keep playing a diamond, but not give a start to Borini/Lambert. I'm sure he'd adapt to that role too, he's just an amazing player already.

So yeah, I'm very happy indeed. We've got quality and depth in every position, and very few question marks. By far, the best squad I can remember us having, and the only thing I worry about is how all the new players will settle. If they do, I think we'll match Chelsea and City all the way, just like last season, and go far in Europe. No one is going to like playing us this year either.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 11:06:57 am by Roger Federer »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 2, 2014, 11:13:02 am »
I'm very happy with the squad. We have the balance and depth of quality/quality of depth to play 433, the diamond, even 4231 or 3 at the back. We should have real options off the bench and competition for places throughout. The profile of the players we've brought in is excellent; one veteran, three at their peak, five youngsters with the ability to make a contribution immediately.

I'm not too unhappy about not shifting any of the remaining 'deadwood' (it happens, and none of it is as dead as in previous regimes). I'm a tad disappointed with a couple of the younger players sold or out on loan, but that's really a disappointment that they're perhaps not going to be what we hoped. I'm yet to be convinced that our loaning out of youngsters is anything other than a precursor to a sale, and won't be until we see a player return from loan and stake a serious claim to a place at Liverpool. Origi excepted, given it was the terms of the deal, right now I'm not hopeful that even Ibe or Ilori are seen as having long term futures at the club. Either could have hung around the fringes of the squad, got a few games and a better quality of training within our system. Those most enthusiastic about sending players out on loan have yet to see their predictions of experience and development actually bear fruit in terms of development into a Liverpool player, while there are an increasing number of examples of highly touted youngsters gaining that experience only to find it equips them for a career at lower PL or Championship level.

But the squad is great. I'm half expecting disappointment, that nothing can compare with the feeling of the last 15 games or so of last season. But we have a better squad now and, I think, despite the departure of Suarez, we may even have a better first team.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 2, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »
Its an amazing squad and easily the best squad I have ever seen at Liverpool.

If I was being massively picky I could say we could do with 1 more quality central midfielder. But apart from that, I think there is enough quality and importantly enough potential for us to give many of these players time to become key players. The right back position for example, as some people felt we can do better but both Flanagan and a lesser extent Manquillo have shown enough to be trusted there for a sustained period of time.

I do think that Rodgers will be keeping an eye on a couple of positions and players. He will be keeping an eye on everyone because everybody has it in them to improve but I think Mignolet and the 2nd centre back position (Skrtel/Sakho) will have a far more intensive gaze upon them. If they drop a level or don't improve generally then they could be areas that are improved maybe next summer.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 2, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »
Superb squad. Back up keeper is all I can really see us wanting and with a few decent papers linking us with Valdez, things are looking bright. Our front 4 players represents a massive range of choices which no one in the league can match. We have a young, pacey and gifted team that is well worth a top 4 spot.

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: September 2, 2014, 01:17:21 pm »
It's a great squad and in future windows we can look at buying only two or three players to strengthen rather than the numbers we brought this summer.

Finally it is Rodgers team/squad and hopefully we can continue to push on and cement our position as one of the top teams in Europe again

Offline Midekima

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: September 2, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »
We had a relatively low net spend last year 20mil? This year we are at about Ł35 mil. You could argue the Champions League earnings would cover all that which leaves us in a great position to strengthen in January if we need to. (Brendan seems to like that window).

Next year's squad will see exciting prospects ready for the premier league. Ilori, Origi and Wisdom.  We can also sell Borini, Assaidi, Aspas and Alberto to top up our transfer fund.

Next year will just need one or two big star signings rather than volume!

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #86 on: September 2, 2014, 01:42:31 pm »
Squad is very strong 3rd best In the league for me. The best thing is we are now at the level where we can spend the majority of our future budget on premium 1-2 players, essentially what Man City and Chelsea are doing. 

Honestly I expect multiple title challenges under Rodgers we have stability and structure in place the most important thing in challenging for major honours.

Also need to look at Man City will have to rebuild in a few seasons many of their key players are nearing 30,  I think we are going to be in fantastic position in the near future with a young hungry squad entering it's peak.

Best part is Rodgers will be here for the long haul , in 2-3 years time further stamping his authority, I'd say it's very likely someone else will be managing Man city Chelsea Man utd e.t.c

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #87 on: September 2, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »
It's a fantastic squad and comfortably the 3rd best in the league just man for man

The only real weakness is in CM
If Henderson or Gerrard are out Can or Lucas are effectively their replacements and that's a step down in quality (yeah I know Coutinho / Lallana can play midfield roles in certain games but its not like for like)
Can looks like he's going to be great but right now he's still raw
In an ideal world we'd have sold Lucas and got another young deep lying CM in but you can't do everything in one window

We've been quick enough to criticise FSG, Ayre and the transfer committee they should get a ridiculous amount of praise this window

The most exciting thing about the squad is that if we don't change a single player, whatever it achieves this year - it'll be better next year!!!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 2, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »
As others have said, only City and Chelsea are stronger than us. We're better than Arsenal imo and will finish above them. Valdes and maybe a DM in January would be the icing on the cake.

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #89 on: September 2, 2014, 03:10:53 pm »
As others have said, only City and Chelsea are stronger than us. We're better than Arsenal imo and will finish above them. Valdes and maybe a DM in January would be the icing on the cake.
I don't really understand the need for a DM. We've got Gerrard, Lucas and Can haven't we? Gerrard is perfectly capable of playing that position and with Lucas and Can we have an experienced back-up and one for the future. Bringing in a proven DM to sit on the bench or compete with Gerrard doesn't really seems necessary to me at this stage. Replacing Lucas with someone else could make sense but I don't really see any direct options who would be happy to be second choise to Gerrard.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 2, 2014, 03:20:26 pm »
AS happy as I am with the squad, not seeing Agge's name in the CB list makes me sad and has me slightly questioning whether we've actually strengthened there... :(

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: September 2, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »
About as happy as I have ever been with a Liverpool Squad.

I still think a top quality CM and a good RB would be nice but for the first time in memory we actually on paper have really good depth!
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 2, 2014, 03:23:56 pm »
We could do with another top drawer midfielder as Gerrard can't play all the time. But there's always Jan for that ;)

Apart from that, pretty dam happy with the squad. Especially if Balotelli kicks on.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 2, 2014, 04:46:48 pm »
Looks very good. We might actually have one or two players in excess, particularly in midfield and up front. But we obviously tried and failed to remedy that on deadline day.

Some players might be a bit disappointed with their playing time (Borini, Lucas, Suso, maybe Enrique) is who I'm thinking, but if injuries do indeed become a problem we will know that we have viable options on the bench.

Other than that little problem, I think Rodgers and the committee have done a superb job in preparing us to challenge on all fronts.

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: September 2, 2014, 04:50:06 pm »
Make-Up?

The mancs have put lipstick on a pig by getting Falcoa, but ours is just fine :P

I'm guessing I'm not the first to do the make-up joke.
'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #95 on: September 2, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »
I'm not at all happy with the make up of the squad to be honest. Way too much lipstick, not enough eye-shadow and the mascara is smudged.
Ladies pinch, whores rouge.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #96 on: September 2, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »
We could do with another top drawer midfielder as Gerrard can't play all the time. But there's always Jan for that ;)

Apart from that, pretty dam happy with the squad. Especially if Balotelli kicks on.
Gerrard is the concern. I wonder how we'll set-up when Gerrard is not playing?
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 2, 2014, 07:15:05 pm »
Gerrard is the concern. I wonder how we'll set-up when Gerrard is not playing?
Lucas or Allen at the base of midfield, with two from Henderson, Can, Coutinho, possibly Lallana, and Allen (if Lucas starts deeper) in front, would be my guess. Some are saying that Can is comfortable in a deeper role too.

I can't really share the concerns others have, our depth in midfield look very, very good to me. Any possible combination from the players above should be a handful for any team in the league, in my opinion.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #98 on: September 2, 2014, 07:40:09 pm »
Balotelli Sturridge
Sterling
Coutinho      Henderson
Gerrard

Moreno Sakho Lovren Manquillo
Mignolet

Borini Lambert
Markovic
Lallana      Allen
Can
Enrique Skrtel Toure Flanagan
Jones

Squad has some great depth now and only 7/22 are players who Rodgers hasn't bought.  Neither line-up includes Johnson, Lucas or Suso too.

Hoping we can lift some silverware with such a good squad to choose from!

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 2, 2014, 07:57:07 pm »
Lucas or Allen at the base of midfield, with two from Henderson, Can, Coutinho, possibly Lallana, and Allen (if Lucas starts deeper) in front, would be my guess. Some are saying that Can is comfortable in a deeper role too.

I can't really share the concerns others have, our depth in midfield look very, very good to me. Any possible combination from the players above should be a handful for any team in the league, in my opinion.
I think it depends on your perspective. As someone looking for us to consolidate on last year and reestablish ourselves in the Champions League, I think our midfield, both the group of starters and the depth, is very solid. But I can easily understand how someone looking for us to be title and/or CL challengers would think it's not enough. Gerrard-Henderson-Coutinho/Allen/Can/Lallana is a very nice midfield 3, but it's certainly not Fernando-Yaya-Silva or Matic-Fabregas-Oscar, much less Busquets-Iniesta-Rakitic.

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #100 on: September 2, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »
I think it depends on your perspective. As someone looking for us to consolidate on last year and reestablish ourselves in the Champions League, I think our midfield, both the group of starters and the depth, is very solid. But I can easily understand how someone looking for us to be title and/or CL challengers would think it's not enough. Gerrard-Henderson-Coutinho/Allen/Can/Lallana is a very nice midfield 3, but it's certainly not Fernando-Yaya-Silva or Matic-Fabregas-Oscar, much less Busquets-Iniesta-Rakitic.

I think we do have a better option than city if we start with Can, Hendo and Lallana/Markovic. It is just they are not proven for their age. I can see a higher ceiling for Markovic and Can can reach height of Yaya if he applies himself and improves. Hendo is better than Fernando. Markovic can play anywhere in the wide mid positions. The prospects of these player reaching their potential at our club is amazing.

Markovic in an years time can be a player to seriously dominate games like Iniesta started to do at that age and I seriously believe that. That is his potential. Let us not over hype him though. Hendo will press, harry and tick the ball over with some intelligence. So will lallana. I can see a sow rise in the tempo of ur play. Gerrard will need rest. In terms of creativity we are as good a City. Energy and stamina we have in plenty.Steel and power we have. Speed and ability of threat in opposition box we have. Flexibilty to change players in to slight different roles is our trademark.

I really do think we have options to take on any team in the league and create a equal team. That is the advantage we have now. I am sure in subsequent matches the big team will struggle here. We have the better team, a supremely balanced set of players. We can handle injuries this season relatively easily than in others.  We have very good goal scoring threats from AM and strikers and the wide areas. My thought is we have build a team. If we can plan our next 3 transfer windows, we are sorted for next 3 years with minimal investment.

We lost Suarez but that cannot be replaced, so we have made ourselves into a non-suarez team. Almost every other major trophies were won by team who did not have suarez. They also created something which gave them advantage. Mourinho like bleed the opposition dry if needed and strict regimented team of player in their positions. City have to many stars and that is their USP. We have pace, guile and a doggedness in our pursuit. We have scented blood last year and this can do strange things to even ordinary players. No team in the league  will come without fear now.

I think we will all be presently surprised in abut 12-15  games when we start clicking together in earnest.
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 2, 2014, 08:53:56 pm »
Happy (on paper). Ideally Borini and Lucas were moved on, but them staying just acts as extra cover, to pad us up as best as we've ever been really. Now it's time to make it all count on the pitch.

Offline Grandad.

• Kemlynite
  • Xabi Alonso.
« Reply #102 on: September 2, 2014, 09:02:16 pm »
I'm very happy with the make up of the squad, especially if Valdes comes in as competition for Mignolet.

Two keepers, five full backs, four centre backs, five central midfielders, four attacking/wide midfielders and four strikers.

Pleanty of competition for places and pleanty of depth (for once), something we have seriously lacked over the years.

I know people are saying they wish Borini was moved on, yeah maybe I would agree if there was a replacement coming in yesterday but it seems that was never the case. Borini going yesterday would have left us with three strikers playing in three competitions until Januaray, imagine if Balotelli or Sturridge got injured? Good thing for me we kept Borini.

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
« Reply #103 on: September 2, 2014, 09:57:04 pm »
Delighted, best squad in years.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 2, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
I think we do have a better option than city if we start with Can, Hendo and Lallana/Markovic. It is just they are not proven for their age. I can see a higher ceiling for Markovic and Can can reach height of Yaya if he applies himself and improves. Hendo is better than Fernando. Markovic can play anywhere in the wide mid positions. The prospects of these player reaching their potential at our club is amazing.
Think this is seen through extremely red-tinted glasses. Don't think a single neutral would agree. Not to mention that you're leaving out our best (or at least second best midfielder)…Can is a huge talent, but he's not yet in Yaya's league (or benchwarmer Fernandinho's, for that matter). That's not a knock--he's 20 and Yaya is one of the best in the world. But it's silly to think our midfield is elite at the moment.

Markovic in an years time can be a player to seriously dominate games like Iniesta started to do at that age and I seriously believe that. That is his potential.
I broadly agree with this, but Markovic has nothing in common with Iniesta except he can dribble. Without a comparison in quality, from the little I've seen he plays a hell of a lot more in the style of Messi than Iniesta. He's not going to play in a midfield 3.

Let us not over hype him though. Hendo will press, harry and tick the ball over with some intelligence. So will lallana. I can see a sow rise in the tempo of ur play. Gerrard will need rest. In terms of creativity we are as good a City. Energy and stamina we have in plenty.Steel and power we have. Speed and ability of threat in opposition box we have. Flexibilty to change players in to slight different roles is our trademark.

I really do think we have options to take on any team in the league and create a equal team. That is the advantage we have now. I am sure in subsequent matches the big team will struggle here. We have the better team, a supremely balanced set of players. We can handle injuries this season relatively easily than in others.  We have very good goal scoring threats from AM and strikers and the wide areas. My thought is we have build a team. If we can plan our next 3 transfer windows, we are sorted for next 3 years with minimal investment.

We lost Suarez but that cannot be replaced, so we have made ourselves into a non-suarez team. Almost every other major trophies were won by team who did not have suarez. They also created something which gave them advantage. Mourinho like bleed the opposition dry if needed and strict regimented team of player in their positions. City have to many stars and that is their USP. We have pace, guile and a doggedness in our pursuit. We have scented blood last year and this can do strange things to even ordinary players. No team in the league  will come without fear now.

I think we will all be presently surprised in abut 12-15  games when we start clicking together in earnest.
Just broadly think you're overstating our level of current talent, especially since our squad is so, so much younger than Chelsea's and City's, who have important players smack in their primes. The great leveler could be Rodgers, if he proves to be the super-elite manager he looked like last season, but I'd still be slightly surprised if we're competing with the two oil clubs *this year*. But then again, I was much more surprised last year, so what do I know.

Offline JAHBletch

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: September 2, 2014, 10:10:23 pm »

What I am most excited about is that potentially we can already be stronger than above list with loan returns. ie - Ilori for Toure, Wisdom for Johnson/Enrique & Origi for Borini/Lambert.

Squad wise for this time next year I would like another squad type youthful left back, to see whether Allen is up to that DM role and a wide forward of real class - Some German fella keeps on getting banded about!! 

For me if Allen works out we have enough depth between Gerrard, Allen, Lucas, Hendo, Can and Lallana for three positions + I hope we get to give the likes of Rossiter, Ojo etc 5 or so games in the cups next year.  Upfront we are sorted, wings good with the plus 1 and defence young and hopefully improving.  Valdes too or another keeper should also be sought for cover and competition IMO.

All very positive indeed, complacency can be covered instantly and everyone can build to their peaks together
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 10:13:58 pm by JAHBletch »
Omar little;
Joe youv'e been so busy being devious you've gone and messed yourself up and got caught in the web.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #106 on: September 2, 2014, 10:47:42 pm »
I am fully engorged.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #107 on: September 2, 2014, 11:08:44 pm »
Happy with it overall.

Especially happy to have got good fullbacks in for what seems the first time in years!

We don't really have the 'Galactico' of Suarez anymore but we have a very good team that knows the system and what it's meant to do.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #108 on: September 2, 2014, 11:16:26 pm »
To the folks who are registering their unhappiness that there are members of our squad now that they wish/prefer had been moved on, either permanently or loan:

Unless you assume their places would have been filled with better players, what is the rationale for being unhappy with their being members of our squad at this point?

It seems to me you're unhappy that they were not replaced with superior players. Fair enough. Still, that's a different issue than being unhappy with them remaining members of our squad. Examples include Borini, Johnson, Lucas and perhaps others.

To me, it's good to have them rather than not have them at all. If we had brought in better players then fine, it would be nice to have gotten 'rid of them'. But we didn't bring better players in their positions and roles instead of them so I am happy they're still parts of our squad.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2014, 01:38:16 am by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 2, 2014, 11:19:51 pm »
I think this is the best squad we've had for a long time. In the last ten years, whenever we've been able to field our strongest side, we've never had a bench of reliable, quality players to call upon. Last season in our 5-0 victory at White Hart Lane, we brought two substitutes on; Luis Alberto and Moses. Both relatively unproven players who you couldn't rely on in a sticky situation.

This season, our trip to White Hart Lane saw us turn up with a much stronger bench (exemplified by the fact that the fabulous Coutinho was an unused substitute) a luxury we've rarely been used to.

For the first time in a long time, we're able to bring quality, experienced players off the bench who can make a difference and give us a plan B. Brendan Rodgers is a brilliant manager; the best we've had for many years and we're very lucky to have him.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline orn-free-tada

• ...free as a ird...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: September 3, 2014, 01:36:15 am »
As above, the best squad we've had in years. Very, very happy

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 3, 2014, 01:46:25 am »
To the folks who are registering their unhappiness that there are members of our squad now that they wish/prefer had been moved on, either permanently or loan:

Unless you assume their places would have been filled with better players, what is the rationale for being unhappy with their being members of our squad at this point?

It seems to me you're unhappy that they were not replaced with superior players. Fair enough. Still, that's a different issue than being unhappy with them remaining members of our squad. Examples include Borini, Johnson, Lucas and perhaps others.

To me, it's good to have them rather than not have them at all. If we had brought in better players then fine, it would be nice to have gotten 'rid of them'. But we didn't bring better players in their positions and roles instead of them so I am happy they're still parts of our squad.
Best defence of Lucas yet...;) Seriously, I do agree, it would be hard not to. Otherwise we would be left with youth players making the numbers.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #112 on: September 3, 2014, 02:09:18 am »
Best defence of Lucas yet...;) Seriously, I do agree, it would be hard not to. Otherwise we would be left with youth players making the numbers.

And Johnson and Borini and, who else, Suso maybe. Coates on loan is the 'tricky' one. Assaidi, given the plethora of available flank talent, was a 'no-brainer'.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #113 on: September 3, 2014, 05:40:38 am »
Overall I like the squad depth. We're covered for most positions and have enough good players to cope with the rigours of 4 competitions.

However, I am a little concerned about our central midfield options. Can is a youngster and will take time to become the player we want him to be. Hendo is really good, no two ways about it.  But we don't have a Matic/Fabregas ,Fernando/Toure or a Vidal/Pogba type combination, players who can drive the game in attack and defence and dictate play.

We have Gerrard, who is getting on in terms of physical capabilites. We have Allen who has been underwhelming so far with the exception of the last two odd games. We have Lucas whose decline is well documented on here. And then we have youngsters.

I hope like hell I am wrong but I think the lack of a balanced centre midfueld will hurt us this season.

I am sure keyboard generals will be out in full force now  ;D
Phuk yoo

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #114 on: September 3, 2014, 09:10:42 am »
We have sold players that wouldn't have gotten many games and have brought in players who will more or less compete for a place in the starting eleven (at least on paper). The only exceptions to this are Stewart (who was clearly bought as a prospect) and Origi (who has gone on loan anyway). I'd also be tempted to add Lambert to that list, but I'm sure he was bought because he offers something slightly different to the strikers we already had and he might still play a vital part for us in certain games.

So, what's not to be happy about? I haven't done the maths on how much we've spent (couldn't be arsed), but we have certainly had money to invest into the squad, which is a good thing. You never know how it will turn out for us in the end as every transfer is a risk, but I'm happy with the business we've done. Even more so as Suarez (who will certainly be a loss) was the only influential player we've lost. Agger could be seen as another one, but I feel we've adequately replaced him. Something that was impossible with Suarez no matter how much money we'd have spent on his replacement. Let's just hope that Sturridge and Sterling keep progressing and doing well. And that the other guys in our attack fit in. I'm confident that it will happen, because as big a genius Suarez was, it's still about the team and goals like the first one against Spurs show that scoring can be a pretty "simple" task that can be achieved with accurate passing and the willingness to make good runs. Not that I'd mind the odd flashes of ingenuity like Sterling's run in the second half...

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 3, 2014, 09:19:03 am »
Happy (on paper). Ideally Borini and Lucas were moved on, but them staying just acts as extra cover, to pad us up as best as we've ever been really. Now it's time to make it all count on the pitch.

Glad Lucas has stayed. We'd only have been fucked over by Rafa with a loan with an option that never happens to buy

Most seem to have wanted Johnson, Borini and Lucas to leave BUT they aren't bad players at all, it's not like we're stuck with Degan and Jovanovic is it? I mean these players can still contribute in cups and in the other competitions if needs must and it won't reduce our level too much, obviously we have better players than these 3 and I would have liked the club to have got a lot of money from them but they are here now and in a way it's good for us they are.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2014, 09:21:54 am by clinical »

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #116 on: September 3, 2014, 10:39:48 am »
However, I am a little concerned about our central midfield options. Can is a youngster and will take time to become the player we want him to be. Hendo is really good, no two ways about it.  But we don't have a Matic/Fabregas ,Fernando/Toure or a Vidal/Pogba type combination, players who can drive the game in attack and defence and dictate play.

I'm not so sure another CM is needed at this time. If we were looking at a first-choice starter, then it probably would be a big money signing and one that would extremely important to the way we play so it wouldn't just be a case of take Allen out the team for him, it would possibly change the dynamic in the middle. For Example, a Yaya Toure would completely change how we play, and I'm not sure that Stevie could play with him in a midfield two anymore.

The likes of Lallana & Coutinho are going to drop into central midfield from time to time and Can is perfect as an up and coming CM with a focus on the defensive side of things.

What I like about our new attacking midfield options of Lallana & Markovic is that they add to the strength of the squad but are not essential to our success at this early stage. This means that they can fully settle into the club and make their mark in their own time. If they want to get into the side, they will have to oust the current players on merit rather than just because of their price tag.

This window was all about bulking up for this long season and trying to cover the loss of Luis. It may be that a new CM will be on the agenda for next season when Brendan is looking for 1-2 really exceptional players to put the finishing touches on a very good squad.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 3, 2014, 10:46:50 am »
I think none of them wear enough make up.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 3, 2014, 11:09:44 am »
I think none of them wear enough make up.

We don't have the likes of Javier Hernandez round here sunshine

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 3, 2014, 03:36:50 pm »

Yeah, I basically agree. It would be different if there were a bunch of albatrosses on long term, high wage deals, but Lucas is the only one who even comes close to matching that description (since Johnson has only a year left), and I doubt he's on the kind of wages, e.g., Reina was on.

I think the people who are bothered about it are worried more about the players losing resale value rather than our team being worse. That's fair--if Borini rots in our reserves for a year, we won't be getting 13m for him--but I just can't be bothered to worry about it anymore. We've got enough money to get the players we want.