Author Topic: How happy are you with the make up of the squad?  (Read 16966 times)

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Re: How happy are you with the make up of the squad?
« Reply #40 on: September 2, 2014, 03:38:14 am »
Pretty happy all in all.

I'm a little disappointed the Remy deal fell through but those are the calls the club has to make.

A shame Borini couldn't have got himself a club plus the others who where told they would get very little game time.

Onwards and Upwards!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: September 2, 2014, 03:41:44 am »
Negatives:
We haven't got proven stars in their prime:
Arsenal: Ozil, Sanchez
Chelsea: Fabregas, Hazard, Costa
Man City: Toure, Aguero, Kompany
Man Utd: Di Maria, Falcao

Sturridge is our man.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 2, 2014, 03:48:57 am »
I can accept that Allen doesn't offer much of a goal threat and a bigger midfielder would perhaps help defend set pieces but the idea Allen can't match in in general play against powerful midfielders must surely have been put to bed in the last three games.

Southampton: Wanyama, Schniderlin
Man City: Toure, Fernando (Fernandinho came on as a sub)
Tottenham: Bentaleb, Capoue (Demeble came on as a sub)

It doesn't get more powerful that them and Allen was one of the standouts.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 2, 2014, 04:00:11 am »
Sturridge is our man.

I wouldn't swap him for any of the names listed but baring Costa (probably doesn't belong there) the others are far more proven and have much bigger profiles.
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 2, 2014, 04:01:57 am »
I wouldn't swap him for any of the names listed but baring Costa (probably doesn't belong there) the others are far more proven and have much bigger profiles.
If the criterion is just "profile" rather than star-level ability, then lacking that isn't really a negative.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 2, 2014, 04:04:52 am »
I can accept that Allen doesn't offer much of a goal threat and a bigger midfielder would perhaps help defend set pieces but the idea Allen can't match in in general play against powerful midfielders must surely have been put to bed in the last three games.

Southampton: Wanyama, Schniderlin
Man City: Toure, Fernando (Fernandinho came on as a sub)
Tottenham: Bentaleb, Capoue (Demeble came on as a sub)

It doesn't get more powerful that them and Allen was one of the standouts.
Only way he can prove his power is a bench press competition surely. The fact that he continually plays well against Man City and Southampton two of the most combative teams in the league should have put that myth to rest. Yet people are still bringing it up. We don't need a bloody Momo Sissoko we need a footballer that wins the ball back and is tactically astute,that IS Joe Allen. The words Allen and weak should be ban worthy imo.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 2, 2014, 04:09:01 am »
The only Negatives to me is we haven't got any World class starts,  However it excites me even more the fact Hopefully Sterling, sturridge, coutinho, hednerson etc Step up and improve even more to the point we will make our own world class talent.

- We finally seem to have a fantastic left back
- We got as good as a replacement we could have got for Suarez.
- We have competition of coutinho in lallana, who can play in multiple positions.
- We have an amazingly talented player in Markovic.
- Can Can be the bargain of the trasnfer window depending how he steps into his role in the team.

I would say the only weakness is gerrards position in terms of competition, Can hasnt played much in that role, and lucas isnt good enough right now, so it all depends on how can is other wise we might be a bit short considering gerrard won't be able to play a huge amount of games i think.

Overall, ballotelli put the icing on the cake.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Rollins

• Main Stander
« Reply #47 on: September 2, 2014, 04:15:07 am »
Very happy with the business done and the squad assembled. We just need to hang in there for a couple of years making top 4, reaching round of 16,1/4's in Europe and possibly a cup final and I will be happy. This team will only grow together and all the hard work in building the squad and competition is hopefully done transfer wise. We just need to pick up a couple of quality players every window now and before long will be up there challenging on all fronts

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 2, 2014, 04:17:34 am »

I don't see how the likes of Ozil and Sanchez are more proven than Sturridge to be honest - especially in this league. As far as profile goes, that really doesn't matter. The longer he's not in the spotlight and is underrated, the better it is for us. Not too sure what else he needs to do to be considered a star.

He is arguably the most complete striker in the league and fits in perfectly with how we want to play.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 2, 2014, 04:23:04 am »
If the criterion is just "profile" rather than star-level ability, then lacking that isn't really a negative.

But they have the profile for a reason, it's about proven performances season upon season. Sturridge has had 1 1/2 good seasons and is a very good bet to shift into that category but isn't there yet.  These guys perform at the very top regardless of injury, form or style of play.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 2, 2014, 04:32:52 am »
I don't see how the likes of Ozil and Sanchez are more proven than Sturridge to be honest - especially in this league. As far as profile goes, that really doesn't matter. The longer he's not in the spotlight and is underrated, the better it is for us. Not too sure what else he needs to do to be considered a star.

He is arguably the most complete striker in the league and fits in perfectly with how we want to play.

Sanchez and Ozil have been regulars starters for 3+ years at Real Madrid and Barcelona. Both were stars four years ago at the World Cup and have gone on to be key contributors in Champions League and domestic title winning teams. If you can't see a difference between that and a player who has only been a regular for 18 months, only just last year become a regular starter for his nation then I don't know where to go with this conversation.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 2, 2014, 05:32:16 am »
Sanchez and Ozil have been regulars starters for 3+ years at Real Madrid and Barcelona. Both were stars four years ago at the World Cup and have gone on to be key contributors in Champions League and domestic title winning teams. If you can't see a difference between that and a player who has only been a regular for 18 months, only just last year become a regular starter for his nation then I don't know where to go with this conversation.

What exactly have they proven in this league so far? Ozil has had a full season and completely under performed. Sanchez is still a relatively unknown quantity.

The "profile" means nothing - it's something for supporters to brag about. Sturridge's "star quality" has been on shown for his entire career here, and has gone past the just a "good patch of form" that many opposition supporters were trying to argue a while back.

Not sure how you can watch Sturridge play for us, and not include him in the lists you make, when you've included the likes of Ozil and Sanchez who have done nothing in this league so far.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 2, 2014, 06:00:53 am »
The "profile" means nothing - it's something for supporters to brag about.

I think this is all that the OP was saying... he is missing that warm and fuzzy feeling. These players do inspire a bit of confidence too, rightly or wrongly, so they "feel" like a safer bet (whether they are or not)

Not hard to understand imho ???

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #53 on: September 2, 2014, 06:15:56 am »
To help me answer if I'm happy, I've dug up a post I made way back on May 18th in the 1st transfer shitchat thread, and added some comments in bold and strikethroughs to reflect what actually happened:

How I see the situation, in a slightly Football Manager-esque way

Outgoing: ~£35-45m £8m + £75m for Suarez. I was apparently a bit overoptimistic with my estimates, but if Agger had gone for market value and players like Assaidi had gone too I wouldn't have been far off.

Reina £5m £2m to Bayern
Jones £1-2m
Agger £10-12m £3m to Brondby
Coates £2-3m Loaned to Sunderland
Kelly/Toure  £3m £1.5+
Aspas  £4-5m Loaned to Sevilla with option to buy (I think)
Assaidi  £5m Loaned to Stoke for £1m
Lucas £10m
Connor Coady- £3m 500k+
Robinson - £2m £1m
Moses £0
Cissokho £0
Luis Suarez £75m

Loan out:
Luis Alberto - La Liga or lower PL, similar to Suso and Ilori this year - Loaned to Malaga in La Liga
Andre Wisdom - Derby again if they get promoted? Would be good RB cover for us otherwise Loaned to West Brom
Joao Teixeira - Southampton, Swansea, or another footballing team in the PL Loaned to Brighton
Jack Robinson - Blackpool this year, so maybe lower PL or upper Championship next season Sold to QPR for £1m
Brad Smith - Championship Loaned to Swindon in League 1
McLaughlin - Was at relegated Barnsley this season in the Championship, so maybe a better Championship side would suit him.Still at LFC, but a loan is still possible
Jordan Ibe - Loaned to Derby
Ilori - Loaned to Bordeaux

Incoming: ~£90m approx. £116.5m
GK - £5mValdes to come in October?... Also signed Vigouroux for the youth team on a free
CB- Caulker £7m Lovren £20m
RB- Manquillo on loan from Atletico, and Stewart for youth team on a free
LB - Rodriguez £20m Moreno £12m
CM - Kovacic? £15m Emre Can £10m
AM - Lallana £22m £23m
LW/ST - Griezmann £25m Markovic £20m, Balotelli £16m, and Lambert £4m. Also Origi £9.8m.

Net spend: £90m minus ~£35m outgoings = around £50-55. £116.5 - £83m = £33.5m

Mignolet
                    GK

Johnson  Caulker Sakho  Rogriguez
Flanagan Skrtel     Ilori     Enrique
               Kelly/Toure

Gerrard
                CM (Kovacic?)
                Rossiter

Henderson  Lallana
        Coutinho    Allen
        Suso         
Sterling                         Griezmann       
Ibe                                Borini
               Suarez
               Sturridge

There's going to be plenty of turnover in the squad, with at least 2-3 top quality players coming in. As the numbers above show it isn't unreasonable to expect that we'd be able to pull off up to three £20m signings too by selling off fringe players and players like Agger and Lucas (who are the only two who really got in our side with any regularity this season of that bunch btw, but even they are 2nd choice now). Most of my estimates for player sales are on the prudent side as well, so there is potential for even more funds to be raised with good business to offset the incoming players' transfer fees.

Interestingly, I got most of my transfer outgoings right, and was reasonably close in guessing the positions we'd target even if the names were completely off. Drawing out the squad options (in 433 format for consistency) and comparing it to the prediction I made above that I would have been happy with at the start of the summer, and all of our positions of need/positions requiring upgrades have been filled (apart from GK).

Mignolet
                      Jones
Manquillo  Lovren  Sakho   Moreno
Johnson    Skrtel    Toure   Enrique
Flanagan
                   Gerrard
                     Lucas
                    Rossiter
       Henderson    Lallana
        Coutinho      Allen
           Can
Sterling                       Markovic
Suso                            Borini
                 Sturridge
                  Balotelli
                   Lambert
                  (Origi)

Positives:
- Bringing in a very good player for every single position we were looking to fill, apart from maybe the backup goalkeeper slot.
- Selling players on high wages like Reina and Agger
- Finding great loan destinations for most of our loanable players. This is a massive plus imo. WBA, Derby, Brighton, Bordeaux, Malaga, Sevilla, Sunderland, etc are good clubs and the right levels for each of our loanees this season.
- Managed to get rid of most of our dead-wood, apart from arguably Borini.
- Net spend of only £33.5m means that there's surely big potential to sign someone in January if needed, or space to reward players like Sterling, Coutinho, and Sturridge with better deals.

Negatives:
- Selling the 3rd best player in the world.
- Unable to sell Aspas, Borini, and Assaidi.
- Selling Agger for way under his market value (even if it was for sentimental reasons).
- Only raising £8m through sales in total other than the Suarez deal
- Not bringing in a GK to compete with Mignolet.
- Haven't sorted out Suso's long term situation. Ideally he would have been extended and sent on loan.

All in all, I'd say its been an incredibly smooth and prudent window for the club.
- The incoming transfer business worked like clock-work, with players coming in at regular intervals during the summer, indicating that the committee were really efficient with their business rather than letting things drift on until late in the window. Getting players in early also allowed most of them to have a full preseason with Brendan.
- The Suarez sale was dealt with quickly, allowing the committee to get on with other business (instead of doing a Spurs and allowing the story to be a distraction in the media, as well as holding up other transfers).
- All other sales were completed in August after Brendan had a chance to assess all players in preseason, and loans were also sorted out in a timely fashion near the end of the deadline.

Its hard to argue against the fact that this has been a wonderful transfer window for the club, and although one or two things could have gone better, overall I think we can all say that we are exhilarated with the state of the squad after this summer's business.

Looking forwards, its very easy to see what the plans for the coming two windows will be as well to keep shaping the squad.
- Toure and Johnson will be allowed to run-down their contracts.
- The remaining 27-30 year olds on high salaries (Lucas, Enrique, and Skrtel) will be sold and replaced with younger options such as Ilori, Smith, Rossiter, or new purchases.
- Borini will be sold, and Origi will take his place in the squad, and eventually Lambert's role as the 3rd striker.
- Gerrard will see his game time gradually diminish. We should be in the market for a top deep-playmaker or DM next summer as a long-term replacement (unless Can is seen as that player already). That will probably be our biggest "splash" or the summer I reckon, along with moves for 2-3 defenders to replace the aforementioned players in the squad.

Any way you look at it our future is looking immensely promising, and that's without even mentioning how much talent there is coming through the youth teams, such as Conor Randall, Harry Wilson, Jack Dunn, Philips, Rossiter, etc :D :D  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 06:33:20 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 2, 2014, 06:18:36 am »
Worried about midfield. Really thought we'd buy a midfield presence . Maybe Can is that man but expect to see teams running over our midfield with the defence taking the criticism
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 2, 2014, 06:19:17 am »
If profile is the criteria Baloteli is higher profile than all of them mentioned to be honest

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 2, 2014, 06:27:07 am »
Building for future, improving the squad, lots of exciting young players, what's there not to like. I really like what FSG and BR are doing there. The world's gone mad with just absolutely insane amounts of cash being thrown around, so at least I can appreciate we are trying to build something to last here.

The other option is to throw in cash for quick fixes with high profile players. That is all fine and dandy but then one needs to repeat that every few transfer windows.

From the Manc forums, to highlight my point:

It's amazing really, as it stands Liverpool have spent 30 million pounds less than Manchester United this transfer window.

Liverpool signings

Rickie Lambert
Adam Lallana
Emre Can
Dejan Lovren
Divock Origi
Lazar Markovic
Javier Manquillo
Alberto Moreno
Mario Balotelli

Manchester United signings

Ander Herrera
Luke Shaw
Marcus Rojo
Angel Di Maria
Daley Blind
Radamel Falcao ?

30 million pounds less, just look at those listed players and let that sink in.

Fair enough. That is one way to look at it. We won't know which approach, or both, or neither will work this season, and carry into coming seasons.

But as said, I really prefer our brand of exciting football together with happy faces and joy for being able to express themselves on the field, to use a brendanism.

So much going to enjoy this season as well.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 2, 2014, 06:46:07 am »
If profile is the criteria Baloteli is higher profile than all of them mentioned to be honest

For fuck sake do I have to spell it out in detail in every post.  I said "proven stars in their prime". I then clarified to say "proven performances season upon season".  Balotelli hasn't done that, he wasn't a top player last season and Sturridge has only done it for 18 months. I know I'm not the only one with doubts, I've heard/seen it discussed everywhere from on here,  the Anfield Wrap to Sky football. We're all wanting to see Sturridge maintain his fantastic record and step up in Suarez's absence as the main main. I and pretty much everyone is confident he can but there is a lingering doubt which makes it a topic of conversation because he's never done it before. Not consistently which is the entire point I was making.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 2, 2014, 06:53:14 am »
My conclusion is that we are a very well run club!

p.s. Not sure about Balotelli, particularly given that e.g. Falcao was available even for a season, but anyway, it is what it is.

And you know how much he is on a week? 350k. That's just fucking ridiculous. It's about money, nothing else that move. No champions league, but fuck you pay me.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 2, 2014, 06:58:03 am »
After watching Balotelli against Spurs I thought there were a few green shoots. Encouraging to see him track back and win headers defending at corners and things worked really well in attack. If be a bit more clinical then things look very promising I reckon

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 2, 2014, 07:14:13 am »

You would prefer Ozil in our team than Sturridge? Not sure how he fits into the proven every season idea, because he has been, at best, adequate for club and country since his arrival in England.
Whereas Sturridge has scored more goals in his first 50 games than anyone else in Liverpool history post 19 freaking hundred.
Simple fact is that Sturridge has consistently delivered, when he has actually played regularly.
Is Ozil a bigger profile in world football? Yes. Is he more likely to win you a game in the Premier League in Sep 2014? Nope.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 2, 2014, 07:19:14 am »
And you know how much he is on a week? 350k. That's just fucking ridiculous. It's about money, nothing else that move. No champions league, but fuck you pay me.
Also, it has to been seen what happens when he gets the kind of tackle Balotelli got from Eric Dier. There still has to be questions about Falcao's recovery and physical condition, and he is going to get hacked down and stomped on and stud raked by plenty of 2nd rate defenders who did the same to Suarez. Only he was indestructible, we shall see with Falcao.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #62 on: September 2, 2014, 07:59:42 am »
You would prefer Ozil in our team than Sturridge? Not sure how he fits into the proven every season idea, because he has been, at best, adequate for club and country since his arrival in England.
Whereas Sturridge has scored more goals in his first 50 games than anyone else in Liverpool history post 19 freaking hundred.
Simple fact is that Sturridge has consistently delivered, when he has actually played regularly.
Is Ozil a bigger profile in world football? Yes. Is he more likely to win you a game in the Premier League in Sep 2014? Nope.
Didn't he just say he wouldn't swap Sturridge for anyone on that list...

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #63 on: September 2, 2014, 08:04:52 am »
Delighted! There's a couple of bits and pieces which we could look at in January but on the whole I think we've got a really solid and balanced squad there. Can't wait to see how Rodgers is going to use Lallana!

Offline koppper

• Berrg
  • Kopite
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #64 on: September 2, 2014, 08:06:52 am »
Very happy with what we have done. Plugged all the major gaps and got great value so that we now have a much deeper and more balanced squad. Have some great players coming through in the squad and on loan who will only get better. I would be happy if we stayed in the top 4 this year and got out of the CL group - anything else is a bonus. If all goes well, we can look at bringing in some top top young quality players in the next transfer window, or covering the odd position where things have not worked out.
Most importantly, we now have a great squad, are cementing our place in the CL and have a redeveloped Anfield to look forward to - very happy with the owners, the manager and the whole team guiding us - we are building for the future, no panic and with a clear style, strategy and direction.
My postillion has been struck by lightning

I am the berrgman

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #65 on: September 2, 2014, 08:12:03 am »
Quote from: MolbyLovesGravy
You would prefer Ozil in our team than Sturridge?
Quote from: DanA
I wouldn't swap him for any of the names listed 

To be honest I think they could all use a little more blush and eye-liner...
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #66 on: September 2, 2014, 08:15:16 am »
biggest spend ever ?
biggest squad ever ?
most number of players brought in ever?

anyway, very happy, bet no one would have thought Mario will be in our red shirt 6 weeks ago, all we wanked on Reus,

hope all new players gel in fast... and moneyball roll on next season IMO..
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 2, 2014, 08:17:19 am »
Negatives:

Could not care any less about that.

Mezut Ozil, based on his performances, would struggle to get on our subs bench.

Having a big name star, just for PR reasons, means absolutely nothing to me- I was going nuts when we were being linked to Falcao, as he's exactly the type of player we don't need.

I think the big weakness in our squad is not having a 3rd striker with pace. We look a alot better with 2 up front, but if one of the 2 get injured, Ricky Lambert is so slow that the diamond's usefulness will dissapear.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 2, 2014, 08:22:16 am »
Delighted with the progress we made this window, so much depth compared to last season and the quality of the first team has not taken a massive blow with the departure of Suarez because we seemed to have improved a couple of positions (mainly in defense). And Balotelli was the icing on the cake, one of the most talented (and popular) footballers today for a bargain :)

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 2, 2014, 08:22:48 am »
                  Mignolet

Manquillo   Skrtel Lovren  Moreno

Gerrard

Henderson      Coutinho

Sterling

Balotelli     Sturridge

Jones

Johnson     Toure    Sakho     Enrique/Flanno

Lucas/Can

Allen             Lallana

Markovic/Suso

Lambert         Borini

We're very close to having a top class squad. We're defo missing good backup striker options ( Origi comes in next Summer, rememeber).

In my opinion, we'll need to invest big money on a new keeper, defensive midfielder and striker next Summer.

Until then, it's probably the best SQUAD we've had since the treble season.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 08:25:54 am by Brentie »
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 2, 2014, 08:26:45 am »
Worried about midfield. Really thought we'd buy a midfield presence . Maybe Can is that man but expect to see teams running over our midfield with the defence taking the criticism

I think we'll be fine in CM, but it's the area to sort next. Hopefully Can will become a regular starter. I'd also like Allen to progress and become a 'bigger' player for us. The way it is now, we rely on Gerrard (who is on his way down, whether we like it or not) and Henderson a bit too much. We need Allen, Lucas or Can to progress and become an equally important player (like Gerrard or Henderson) to the team.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #71 on: September 2, 2014, 08:36:29 am »
Negatives:

Liverpool: Sturridge, Balotelli
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #72 on: September 2, 2014, 08:43:24 am »
Could not care any less about that.

Mezut Ozil, based on his performances, would struggle to get on our subs bench.

Having a big name star, just for PR reasons, means absolutely nothing to me- I was going nuts when we were being linked to Falcao, as he's exactly the type of player we don't need.

I think the big weakness in our squad is not having a 3rd striker with pace. We look a alot better with 2 up front, but if one of the 2 get injured, Ricky Lambert is so slow that the diamond's usefulness will dissapear.
I completely agree with the first three lines in your post, but the bit in bold is absolute horseshit. Lambert won't be relied on for his pace, but rather for his holdup play and vision in and around the box. Sturridge was completely isolated against Southampton and City, but once Lambert came on he was a menace in the box that allowed us to score the winner against Southampton, as well as linking up well with Sturridge for the goal at the Etihad.

If there is an all-touch video of Lambert against Southampton I'd recommend watching it. His holdup play in his 15 minute cameo was fantastic. 11 touches, 11 successful passes. Most of the passes he received were high passes and bouncing balls, but he took them down, found space, and played someone in to get us up the field after Southampton had pinned us in a bit, along with keeping 50/50's alive in the opposition box. All of which is exactly  what you need from an impact striker coming in off the bench.

In any case, its hardly like he's a snail when he runs either. He might not be Sterling-fast, but he won't be straggling 30 yards behind the play when we counter attack. He didn't score 13 goals last season in a very pacey Southampton by accident, and its not a coincidence that we happened to score twice already in his 25 minutes on the pitch so far this season.

Offline d3lu5ion

• Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: September 2, 2014, 08:48:25 am »
By the looks of the team we saw at Spurs.. If Lallana, Markovic, Balotelli gets time with our team and gets accustomed to BRs style of play.. along with improvement in form by squad player like Suso... Seems like a good squad... Need consistency.. Thats the important issue to be addressed..

Offline Je99ers

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: September 2, 2014, 08:49:22 am »
For the first time in years, the Liverpool squad are looking stronger.   

I see that Liverpool players no longer rely on one player like Suarez or Torres because they are now playing as a team - rely on each other!

Hopefully Liverpool will not have to spend a lot in the next transfer window because these players are still young.   We might now see one go, one in but let's hope all players are worth it for Liverpool.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 2, 2014, 09:12:26 am »
Overall, it's been a good transfer. The only disappointment is letting Remy go when I thought he was going to be signed.

Many pundits still think last season was an anomaly and it was down to Suarez. Well, in some ways, that's true but that's not the entire picture. I feel we're getting a better balance across the squad even if it means we don't have a "standout high profile" player. I know some of us are still lamenting over the loss of the third best player in the world but that ship has already sailed. We do have one of the best youngsters around in Raheem Sterling. He's the future Liverpool can build the team around.

BR has strengthened in areas we were weak in last season - in the backline. He's brought on exciting players like Moreno and Manquillo and also rock solid performer like Lovren. I'm hoping Markovic will turn out to be another Coutinho and not Riera.

I'm excited that we still have Lallana to start and play. He's someone I think who could link up our midfield and attack really well.

With a net spend of around £33m, we still have plenty of room to bolster the squad. One area which I think we need to address sooner rather than later is Gerrard's position as the deep-lying playmaker. Stevie is showing his age and we need to wrap him up for games where he could utterly destroy opposition with his long range passes.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #76 on: September 2, 2014, 09:16:16 am »

Think you're just going by 'names' aren't you?

What does Costa have over Sturridge when it comes to their record?

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #77 on: September 2, 2014, 09:34:02 am »
I don't understand how some people still aren't satisfied. Not getting rumoured players like Reus, Blind, Falcao and Bakkali makes me think we did our bussines very thoughtfully. We looked at positions we needed strenghtening and then looked for players with the right mentality, and physical and technical skills.

This squad garantuees us to improve over five years because its filled with young and hungry players who can keep improving individually and as a team. On top of that we bought very versatile so we have a lot of tactical options. Present and future excite me!

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 2, 2014, 09:37:32 am »
I think overall our squad is getting there, but there is a couple of missing pieces still.
GK - We need serious competition for Mignolet
FB - We have too many now, but I see the logic of keeping Johnson for his experience while we "blood" Manquillo and Flanagan.
CB - Perfect mix of young players out on loan, players getting to the top of their abilities and wise experienced heads.
DM - Biggest thing missing - no out and out DM, not since Masceherano left.  We need these for games like Man City away and against other top teams, even at home to close a game out where we have a lead.  Priority No1 in my book.
AM - Fine!
Wide players - Markovic is the only out and out winger, but is one more than last year.  I am happy enough with this, given we have wing backs and that some of the others can fill in here perfect adequately.
Strikers - We have the numbers.  We need to see Mario and Ricky hitting the back of the net.  All the manager can do is sign them and train them and its up to the players after that.

Overall I would say we have gone from 75% of an ideal squad to 85% this window.

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #79 on: September 2, 2014, 09:41:35 am »
Overall, it's been a good transfer. The only disappointment is letting Remy go when I thought he was going to be signed.

REMY didnt join which might in result Mario, better may be ? (finger cross)
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....