Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1780737 times)

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #11360 on: February 8, 2020, 06:47:57 am »
Very true - there's a good correlation between the quality of the opposition and the away supporters singing "where's your famous atmosphere..."

If the atmosphere is poor, your team is probably shit.

English fans will sing this no matter what the atmosphere is like, they're conditioned to sing it. Maybe Chelsea gave us a night off in 2005.

I think our away support is too quiet in general these days but i'd prefer that to just chanting absolute rubbish all the time.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #11361 on: February 8, 2020, 07:57:45 am »
It's on this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PUnqKWh05Bg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PUnqKWh05Bg</a>

And a short close-up of when it's in full pomp.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JYtm105FksA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JYtm105FksA</a>

*Excuse the goosebumps*

Thanks. Exactly what I had in my minds eye. Breathtaking
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11362 on: February 8, 2020, 04:22:07 pm »
Even closer up  ;)

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/nlQWGBTD_r4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/nlQWGBTD_r4</a>

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #11363 on: February 8, 2020, 06:12:48 pm »
Bring the silkie back. So cheap compared to scarves you could wear four.  ;D

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11364 on: February 8, 2020, 08:44:17 pm »

Ooh no.  Brings back memories of trips to Old Trafford in 78 and 79 with wool city festooned with silk scarves, birmos and greasy centre parts, whilst us Scousers were cool as fuck.  Showing my age now.  Going to have to stop posting in this thread cos people like me were the instigators of the no scarf culture. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11365 on: February 8, 2020, 09:03:50 pm »
That's why we stopped wearing them about 76, too many fuckers with scarves around their necks, including their blag `robbed` Man U or Leeds scarve and at least two scarfs around their arms with their hands in their Birmos, with their oxblood airwair, thinking they looked great. ;D  Haven't wore a scarf since and Im one of the loudest arl bastards at the match, start more songs than most of you young fuckers,even if im still stuck in the seventies with my addidas trainees and no scarf ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11366 on: February 8, 2020, 09:04:59 pm »
Ooh no.  Brings back memories of trips to Old Trafford in 78 and 79 with wool city festooned with silk scarves, birmos and greasy centre parts, whilst us Scousers were cool as fuck.  Showing my age now.  Going to have to stop posting in this thread cos people like me were the instigators of the no scarf culture.
Is right. Comrade ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11367 on: February 8, 2020, 09:25:59 pm »
That's why we stopped wearing them about 76, too many fuckers with scarves around their necks, including their blag `robbed` Man U or Leeds scarve and at least two scarfs around their arms with their hands in their Birmos, with their oxblood airwair, thinking they looked great. ;D  Haven't wore a scarf since and Im one of the loudest arl bastards at the match, start more songs than most of you young fuckers,even if im still stuck in the seventies with my addidas trainees and no scarf ;D

Ditto.  Can’t get out of the habit of the adidas trainers and drainpipe jeans.  Unfortunately time has taken its toll of the hair so can’t match the style of those times.  But I sing and shout through every game, and we take our banners to bigger games and can even dig out the scarf for the really big matches.   But you have to wear your scarf in a certain way.  Those of us who do know what I mean.  ;)
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #11368 on: February 25, 2020, 08:57:06 am »
Would like to hear something other than "we're gonna win the league" to be honest, and maybe hold off until we're more than 1-0 up?

Offline cheshiremike

• Podcast/Youtube Addict. Sworn enema of CheshireDave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11369 on: February 25, 2020, 09:01:19 am »
Would like to hear something other than "we're gonna win the league" to be honest, and maybe hold off until we're more than 1-0 up?

Fully agree!! Belt out the classics, belt out the players songs get anfield rocking.

Atmosphere was poor last night

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11370 on: February 25, 2020, 09:05:35 am »

Anything is better than nothing. Really weird the atmosphere lately, you'd think every home game would be a party as we march to the inevitable but it's flat.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #11371 on: February 25, 2020, 09:07:47 am »

It was far too early in the game to be chanting that. I know sometimes the atmosphere will reflect what’s going on on the pitch so it was no surprise but it was so poor all round last night!!

The place should be bouncing...to many people around me watching the game on their phones

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11372 on: February 25, 2020, 09:14:32 am »
Say the same thing loads on here but every game isn't made equally. At the moment the atmosphere's weird because it's a weird [and wonderful] situation, and we've played West Ham and southampton in fixtures even Fromola might have expected us to win.

Also we're all in 'the waiting place' now. If every game were on a knife edge it'd be different, but we could lose the next 5 games and still win it and that takes away the 'edge' that's central to a good atmosphere. The tail end of last season was the best Anfield's been for consistent atmosphere in as far long back as I can remember [I started going early 90s] because every game was must win, the let offs when we got the winners were unreal [Salah's V Chelsea was so loud after you felt drunk just being there, it was incredible]. We're just grinding it out a bit now and that's alright too.

If it's quiet for Atletico in a few weeks, or for the game where we can actually win the league, then worry. Monday night v davey moyes' west ham, not so much.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #11373 on: February 25, 2020, 09:26:41 am »
Monday nights are always tough for atmosphere. It might be under the lights but Monday night, rushing home from work, town heaving with commuters and the crowd heading to the match (which felt very much like a game where most die-hards gave up their tickets for others judging by the buses up to the ground). Then getting home at silly o'clock for work the next day. Cant really bevy up.

All add to that a very lacklustre match.

Can see why Germany are planning on binning off Monday games in their next TV deal

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11374 on: February 25, 2020, 09:29:42 am »
Monday nights are always tough for atmosphere. It might be under the lights but Monday night, rushing home from work, town heaving with commuters and the crowd heading to the match (which felt very much like a game where most die-hards gave up their tickets for others judging by the buses up to the ground). Then getting home at silly o'clock for work the next day. Cant really bevy up.

How is any of that different to any mid-week night match?

Just think it was a poor show all round to be honest. Team could have done with a bit of a pick me up and it was flat.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11375 on: February 25, 2020, 09:35:02 am »
Atmosphere picked up considerably once we went 2-1  down I thought.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #11376 on: February 25, 2020, 09:37:38 am »
My friend who went last night said it was torrid. There will be a host of reasons for it (some legitimate, some not) but we really need to be improving on this as we head towards what should be some of the greatest moments of the last 30 years for us.

Don't get me started on the Kop and flags and scarves, I have been going on about it for years now.

A post of mine from December 2nd 2009

And as for Koplass' post, Anfield on the whole, has been in decline for years. We'll always have those one-off nights (guaranteed Fiorentina would have been had there been something to play for and we got an early goal) but the majority it's average at best.

People don't even bother bringing scarves anymore - the wavers look great, but the lack of scarves for YNWA these days is a joke.

Only going to get worse as well.
JFT97

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #11377 on: February 25, 2020, 10:29:51 am »

Still got mine from '71-72 season. 'Liverpool' on one side, and pictures of Bill Shankly on the other.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11378 on: February 25, 2020, 10:38:13 am »
Anyone know what was going on with young lad at the front of 108?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11379 on: February 25, 2020, 12:25:09 pm »
How is any of that different to any mid-week night match?

Just think it was a poor show all round to be honest. Team could have done with a bit of a pick me up and it was flat.

Monday is the worst day of the week unless it's a bank holiday. Especially in winter with awful weather. Worst day for football.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #11380 on: February 25, 2020, 04:59:02 pm »
Monday is the worst day of the week unless it's a bank holiday. Especially in winter with awful weather. Worst day for football.

The midweek champions league games this year weren't very good either, I didn't think. Went Everton and Sheffield United midweek and they were ok.

I found the best for midweek this year have been Arsenal in the League Cup and Shrewsbury the other week, less expectation to dominate and win and ultimately less moaning. I've no doubt Atletico will be bouncing though.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11381 on: February 25, 2020, 05:02:46 pm »
The midweek champions league games this year weren't very good either, I didn't think. Went Everton and Sheffield United midweek and they were ok.

I found the best for midweek this year have been Arsenal in the League Cup and Shrewsbury the other week, less expectation to dominate and win and ultimately less moaning. I've no doubt Atletico will be bouncing though.

Group games aren't unless it's effectively knockout (Napoli last year). I really hope they don't increase the group stage games.

Arsenal and Shrewsbury were the best chance for people to get tickets who usually can't get them.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11382 on: February 25, 2020, 05:07:05 pm »
Arsenal and Shrewsbury were the best chance for people to get tickets who usually can't get them.

So was Sheffield United and thats the worst atmosphere we've had in years, so it's not quite that simple

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #11383 on: February 25, 2020, 05:14:19 pm »
I did my usual routine for every home game last night, first half I sat on the Hillsborough Memorial bench, second half I go to The Park boozer (if televised obviously!)

That first half, you could hear a pin drop outside, and it was hard to tell when it was even HT. It didn't even sound like a game was in motion at times, such was the lack of noise of any kind!

Lets be realistic, this season will probably be a one/off in terms of coasting to the Title, it should have an atmosphere to match! 
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #11384 on: February 25, 2020, 05:24:02 pm »
Still got mine from '71-72 season. 'Liverpool' on one side, and pictures of Bill Shankly on the other.

Proper antwacky that Yorky! Lord knows what happened to all mine, though I had one nicked as a trophy when me and a mate were set on - by of all people, a bunch of Colchester supporters - on the train back from an Ipswich v Liverpool game  ::)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11385 on: February 25, 2020, 07:54:59 pm »
It was far too early in the game to be chanting that. I know sometimes the atmosphere will reflect what’s going on on the pitch so it was no surprise but it was so poor all round last night!!

The place should be bouncing...to many people around me watching the game on their phones
Since the United game it's been sung after each goal in every game I think, regardless of the minute if the game.

But yeah, it was pretty flat in the first half. I thought it improved a massive amount when we went 2-1 down, it seemed to wake people up. Lot of people moaning though, anyone would think we were losing every week rather than being top of the league, it's amazing how complacent people get.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11386 on: February 25, 2020, 08:13:22 pm »
I liked how it picked up once they went up 2-1, and it stayed that way until the end.

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #11387 on: February 25, 2020, 10:01:37 pm »
And now your going to believe us and we shall not be moved  for 90 minutes i think.....next home games agree? si senor

Offline 18 yard line

• Anny Roader
  • Northern Ireland Red!
« Reply #11388 on: February 25, 2020, 10:09:01 pm »
I thought it was generally decent around me in the Upper Main.  What really shocked me was the lack of scarves in the Kop for YNWA, never seen it so bare. Matched by the singing from what I could tell.
Northern Ireland Red!

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #11389 on: February 25, 2020, 10:11:14 pm »
The first news was there's Americans on the shore
Maybe maybe maybe now we're all going to war
Maybe maybe maybe they will be screaming out four more
Maybe maybe maybe they will be running for the door

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #11390 on: February 25, 2020, 11:15:54 pm »
Looks like I am on my own a bit here, didn't think it was too bad for an expected routine win on a windy chilly night in February, have been to plenty worse, thats for sure. It definitely improved when we went 2-1 down.

Anyone know what was going on with young lad at the front of 108?

Was in 108 and didn't notice anything, what point of the game was it?
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11391 on: February 26, 2020, 12:27:45 am »
As has ever been the case going right back to the early '60's when the whole fan singing/chanting culture began on the Kop, the reality is that in frustrating low key 'expect to win' games such as Monday night, the Anfield crowd turns up when it is needed - which, as stated by Klopp and Alexander Arnold after the game and evidenced by myself, occurred last night when we went 2-1 down.

And that is all that matters.

It baffles me that there are some posters on here who don't seem able to grasp that basic reality of the Anfield crowd.

They somehow seem to believe that an Inter Milan/St Etienne/Chelsea 05/Barca level atmosphere or even something remotely approaching such levels is possible at run of the mill games such as last night. It simply isn't and never has been. In lower key games Anfield responds to the circumstances of the game in the organic manner it always has done and hopefully always will do. If the circumstances demand it then the Anfield crowd delivers. 

And last night was no exception to this Anfield rule.

Fact was it was pretty damn good once we went 2-1 down. And to be fair it was nowhere near its quietest before then either. Not saying it was loud or buzzing - but dismissing those who were doing the singing and chanting and attempting to make some noise prior to the 2-1 turning point simply because the bulk of the crowd prior to then were not in 'big European night ' mood and joining in en masse is way out of order as far as I'm concerned.

Those guys - including myself and others around me in the main Stand - were giving it a decent go and we got our reward when many more joined in after West Ham scored their second to give the team the increased vocal encouragement it needed to spur it on to go on and win the game - as Kloppie and Trent alluded to in their post match interviews.

And that, for all you moaning fucking ninnies on here, is the object of the fucking exercise. Job fucking done.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:54:19 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #11392 on: February 26, 2020, 12:59:36 am »
I remember early 78-81 on the kop, turn up, do the business, win, have a good afternoon, move on. 85 games without defeat at home, beating Stoke 1-0, pin drop. Looking at the stats, only 19,000 plus turned up for the home game v Middlesbrough at the end of the season. Beating Grimsby 5-0 and just spending the whole game signing songs about fish.

Beating Villa 4-1 was appropriately loud

But not every game was a kop choir dream.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11393 on: February 26, 2020, 01:28:42 am »
[]
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11394 on: February 26, 2020, 01:30:34 am »
Ok . That's my attempt of posting my Ma's scarf.

If someone can help us on how to post it I'd be grateful. This scarf will blow your fuckin heads off. She's been wearing it since 1963 and she knitted it herself .

Ta.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11395 on: February 26, 2020, 01:33:57 am »
<a href="http://img][/img" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://img][/img</a>

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11396 on: February 26, 2020, 01:34:16 am »
^
Second attempt.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11397 on: February 26, 2020, 01:40:10 am »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11398 on: February 26, 2020, 01:40:30 am »
Well thank fuck for that.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11399 on: February 26, 2020, 01:44:04 am »
And for all you arl arses who see Emlyn Hughes on there he did join in '67 but she unpicked someone elses name and sewn Emlyn's name in. She knitted it when we won the League in 1963 and still wears it to the match .

Get onto the Saint bit on the bottom right .
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:48:38 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi