Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1780774 times)

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #11440 on: February 27, 2020, 02:44:03 pm »
I bought a scarf a couple of years ago before the Dortmund 4-3 game. First one I'd bought in years. I wore it when I went the games after and, from memory, we were undefeated when I wore it the game. Last year my dad for one reason and another ended up in intensive care, about 4 days before the European cup final. I was going off to Madrid for the final [I'd ummed and aahed about going given his condition, but as he's a massive red and indeed the reason I am - I decided he'd obviously want me to go] so I left the scarf with him on his bed for the final. We all know how the final went. Dad got a lot better over the summer, came out of ICU and he's back home doing grand now [like a cockroach my dad I swear, borderline un-killable].
Boss to hear that mate. The scarf I mentioned was actually bought for me by my dad at a league cup final a good few years ago and is the reason I'm a red too.

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11441 on: February 27, 2020, 04:32:47 pm »
The next thing we know it won't be scarfs, it will be a white shirt and a tie, just like the sixties black and white newsreels of the Kop. Might draw the line there😂😂😂😂😂 wife's Dad took her and her brother to Rome in 77 and he wore his suit, shirt and a tie. In that bloody heat as well. Don't think that may make a comeback eh?
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #11442 on: February 27, 2020, 04:37:55 pm »
Gonna dig out my first ever scarf, 1979 with the team names and autographs. I've never washed it though so I'll apologise in advance! Be great if even 1 in 10 bring a scarf for that day.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #11443 on: February 27, 2020, 06:09:22 pm »
Gonna dig out my first ever scarf, 1979 with the team names and autographs. I've never washed it though so I'll apologise in advance! Be great if even 1 in 10 bring a scarf for that day.

Love how this is turning into a scarf thread.

Best one I ever had was one of those red and white ‘college scarves’ that loads of Kopites wore in the mid-70s. You don’t really see them now, unlike the bar scarf which also ‘died’ in the 90s when all the fancy and wordy footy scarfs became popular, but which made a comeback just before Istanbul. I left my ‘college scarf’ on a Kop barrier after Hillsborough with thousands of others.

Still got my ancient bar scarf tho, along with the old silk (see above). My mum sewed all the cloth badges on (‘Shanks Red Army’, ‘Liverpool Rule OK’ etc). There’s a nasty hole in part of the fabric. Might be moths, might be where a Leeds fan tried to grab it off me at Leeds station circa 1975.

Last time I wore the silk was at that wretched Cup Final where Cantona got the winner. The scarf was ancient enough even back then to draw comment. The wool one I occasionally wear just for old time’s sake. If I somehow land a ticket for the title run I’ll don ‘em both.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11444 on: February 27, 2020, 06:14:07 pm »

I had a few silk scarfs as a kid but don't know what happened to them. Me uncle got me a 1979 League Champions one but it somehow ended up in our kids ( RIP ). It's with all his stuff in me Da's or uncles loft so may try and get it for when we are crowned.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11445 on: February 27, 2020, 06:15:58 pm »
Think me Mum has one of those red ones with two white stripes at the top and two at the bottom ones. Early 70's I think.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11446 on: February 27, 2020, 06:57:50 pm »
How can she move them?

If its anything like when I was going, loads would come from other parts of the Kop and either stand in the aisle or squeeze into your row, which is dangerous.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #11447 on: February 27, 2020, 07:34:47 pm »
Think me Mum has one of those red ones with two white stripes at the top and two at the bottom ones. Early 70's I think.
Love those. Think that’s probably the one yorky’s on about. I’ve got one from the 60s, my grandad’s which is similar in that the stripes run lengthways , but they’re just 2 white stripes equal distance apart. It goes to the match with me when I go and will be round my neck when we win it and I’m trying to bunk in at the end of the match :D

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11448 on: February 27, 2020, 07:42:54 pm »
Really hope all the old banners come out for title winning day.  And I don’t just mean The Kop, so that includes the Upper Centenary boys and girls.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11449 on: February 27, 2020, 07:43:15 pm »
Or maybe I’ll take the “Record 11 times Champions” one, which was one of the first to include a yellow stripe. It’s got Kenny’s head superimposed on one end. Looks nothing like him!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #11450 on: February 27, 2020, 07:49:49 pm »
Really hope all the old banners come out for title winning day.  And I don’t just mean The Kop, so that includes the Upper Centenary boys and girls.

Can't recall ever seeing that one fella.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11451 on: February 27, 2020, 11:17:58 pm »
Love those. Think that’s probably the one yorky’s on about. I’ve got one from the 60s, my grandad’s which is similar in that the stripes run lengthways , but they’re just 2 white stripes equal distance apart. It goes to the match with me when I go and will be round my neck when we win it and I’m trying to bunk in at the end of the match :D

Last 20's.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11452 on: February 27, 2020, 11:24:41 pm »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11453 on: February 27, 2020, 11:34:35 pm »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11454 on: February 27, 2020, 11:45:21 pm »

I've still got one from around 1975 that I used to wear to school. All the Reds and Bitters would wear our scarves to school and keep them on in lessons until the headmistress eventually banned them from being worn in the classroom.

Mine was red with two parallel white stripes running the length of the scarf near the top, and another two near the bottom.

I also used to have a few silkies, but I don't know what happened to them. One or two might be packed away somewhere in the house.

I had attempts to nick a couple of silkies off me when I was a kid. Once queuing up outside the Road End against Boro. Some twat made a grab but I fought him off. Another time was in Stanley Park when another, much bigger and older, Red tried to mug me for my silkie. I managed to talk him into only nicking my rosette instead.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:47:57 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11455 on: February 28, 2020, 12:11:50 am »
I've still got one from around 1975 that I used to wear to school. All the Reds and Bitters would wear our scarves to school and keep them on in lessons until the headmistress eventually banned them from being worn in the classroom.

Mine was red with two parallel white stripes running the length of the scarf near the top, and another two near the bottom.

I also used to have a few silkies, but I don't know what happened to them. One or two might be packed away somewhere in the house.

I had attempts to nick a couple of silkies off me when I was a kid. Once queuing up outside the Road End against Boro. Some twat made a grab but I fought him off. Another time was in Stanley Park when another, much bigger and older, Red tried to mug me for my silkie. I managed to talk him into only nicking my rosette instead.  ;D

I remember in 1985 when we played Austria Vienna at home. Me best mate bought a Austria Vienna hat from a stall by the Kop. We started walking down by the Kemlyn and a few lads ran past and swiped it off his head. We pegged it after them and wipped one of them up but he wasn't the lad who had it so we just left him alone. We still speak about it to this day. In our hotel in Genk this season when we were both proper barnetted it popped up once again in conversation . 

;D

Those days will never leave us and this is what is so special about this thread right now . It's happening. Me and me Mum were on the phone a few days ago and trying to work it out where and when we will win it. I said to her ... Mum.. let's just  absorb the fact that we are having this conversation.... a little silence then a bit of giggling.

It's boss .

;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:14:30 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11456 on: February 28, 2020, 12:22:12 am »
I remember in 1985 when we played Austria Vienna at home. Me best mate bought a Austria Vienna hat from a stall by the Kop. We started walking down by the Kemlyn and a few lads ran past and swiped it off his head. We pegged it after them and wipped one of them up but he wasn't the lad who had it so we just left him alone. We still speak about it to this day. In our hotel in Genk this season when we were both proper barnetted it popped up once again in conversation . 

;D

Those days will never leave us and this is what is so special about this thread right now . It's happening. Me and me Mum were on the phone a few days ago and trying to work it out where and when we will win it. I said to her ... Mum.. let's just  absorb the fact that wecare having this conversation.... a little silence then a bit og giggling.

It's boss .

;D

Yep, they were great times and, thankfully, the great times are back for us all to enjoy once more.  :)

I really do hope at least some of the old scarves and banners make an appearance when we lift the trophy.  :scarf

It's mad just how prevalent scarf/hat nicking was back then. I never wore a hat, but I remember when the Kop would surge forward, hats would get swiped off heads. I know taking opposition scarves as trophies (or to set on fire) was a thing then, but you also had to watch your back for fellow Reds at times.  >:(  It was a jungle out there for a youngster.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11457 on: February 28, 2020, 12:25:42 am »
Starting to get a horrible feeling the atmosphere at Anfield in the coming weeks might be a bit on the eerie side.

I hope not. It'd be a massive pisser winning the league while playing behind closed doors, but as long as this group of players get their winners' medals that's all that really matters to me. This is the greatest league campaign ever witnessed.

Just a heads up, but there's a bit of a ban on talk of you know what, on here at the moment.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11458 on: February 28, 2020, 01:18:41 am »
I've still got the original vinyl of that.  :D

Missed this post.

We had it in our house when me an our Alan were kids. We used to put it on at full blast and open the windows and play footie outside .

Boss memories .

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11459 on: February 28, 2020, 01:20:03 am »
Starting to get a horrible feeling the atmosphere at Anfield in the coming weeks might be a bit on the eerie side.

I hope not. It'd be a massive pisser winning the league while playing behind closed doors, but as long as this group of players get their winners' medals that's all that really matters to me. This is the greatest league campaign ever witnessed.

Do one.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11460 on: February 28, 2020, 01:29:19 am »
Yep, they were great times and, thankfully, the great times are back for us all to enjoy once more.  :)

I really do hope at least some of the old scarves and banners make an appearance when we lift the trophy.  :scarf

It's mad just how prevalent scarf/hat nicking was back then. I never wore a hat, but I remember when the Kop would surge forward, hats would get swiped off heads. I know taking opposition scarves as trophies (or to set on fire) was a thing then, but you also had to watch your back for fellow Reds at times.  >:(  It was a jungle out there for a youngster.

A jungle indeed. Me and a few of the lads from our estate use to get the 12 or 13 from Canny Farm and get off at the Belmont and walk down. We were hard knocks like but going into L4 and the match back then was a different pan of Scouse ( just made that up )  ;D.

This is thread seems to be heading into an unofficial bring your old stuff thread . Is right .

Let's hope the old hot dog fellas are there.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11461 on: February 28, 2020, 06:52:34 am »

I remember one game queuing up for the Kop with a couple of mates (Jason67 off here and his brother Paul) and it had been one of those long queues that went all the way down the Kemlyn.

For some stupid reason (I think my head was freezing), just as we got near the turnstiles I broke ranks and legged it over the road to buy a ski hat, a two-thirds LFC, one third Rangers one. This was stupid for three reasons, 1) no matter how cold it was you were always fuckin roasting on the Kop, 2) by the time I’d bought it they were going through and I had to do a mad run and dive in like I was queue jumping and risked getting collared and sent back, and 3) I preferred Celtic! :o ;D

Anyway, five minutes in and Liverpool score, big surge, usual chaos and celebrations and eventually settles back down and Jason starts laughing, ‘your fuckin hat’s gone’. Look around and can’t see it, then about 10 mins later and this big fella nearby is wearing a Liverpool/Rangers ski hat covered in dust and crap, sweet wrappers and fag ends stuck to it. I says to him, ‘I think that’s mine mate’ and he just goes, ‘no mate it’s mine’...and that was the end of my very short-lived ski hat wearing days!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11462 on: February 28, 2020, 06:59:03 am »
I've still got the original vinyl of that.  :D
Same here :)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11463 on: February 28, 2020, 07:00:35 am »

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #11464 on: February 28, 2020, 07:53:44 am »

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11465 on: February 28, 2020, 08:48:27 am »
Can't recall ever seeing that one fella.

If I am not mistaken didn’t a banner appear in the 2005 CL SF against Chelsea?  Draped over the balcony.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11466 on: February 28, 2020, 09:23:20 am »
A catchy new song would be boss for the tail end of the season. You know, the type of Allez Allez Allez song that gets everyone going, even the hospo.
YNWA.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11467 on: February 28, 2020, 09:34:10 am »
I remember one game queuing up for the Kop with a couple of mates (Jason67 off here and his brother Paul) and it had been one of those long queues that went all the way down the Kemlyn.

For some stupid reason (I think my head was freezing), just as we got near the turnstiles I broke ranks and legged it over the road to buy a ski hat, a two-thirds LFC, one third Rangers one. This was stupid for three reasons, 1) no matter how cold it was you were always fuckin roasting on the Kop, 2) by the time I’d bought it they were going through and I had to do a mad run and dive in like I was queue jumping and risked getting collared and sent back, and 3) I preferred Celtic! :o ;D

Anyway, five minutes in and Liverpool score, big surge, usual chaos and celebrations and eventually settles back down and Jason starts laughing, ‘your fuckin hat’s gone’. Look around and can’t see it, then about 10 mins later and this big fella nearby is wearing a Liverpool/Rangers ski hat covered in dust and crap, sweet wrappers and fag ends stuck to it. I says to him, ‘I think that’s mine mate’ and he just goes, ‘no mate it’s mine’...and that was the end of my very short-lived ski hat wearing days!

Ha ha.

Funny stuff Misty lad

;D

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #11468 on: February 28, 2020, 11:06:59 am »
Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers...............Livvvvvvvvvveeerrrrrrrpoooooollllll :D :D :D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11469 on: February 28, 2020, 12:48:52 pm »
Missed this post.

We had it in our house when me an our Alan were kids. We used to put it on at full blast and open the windows and play footie outside .

Boss memories .

;D

When we were kids we'd come home for dinnertime. Our parents were at work, so a few of us would put the Kop Choir album on full blast then stand on the couch with our scarves up singing YNWA.  :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11470 on: February 28, 2020, 12:53:35 pm »

;D

I wonder what the life expectancy for a hat on the Kop was back then?

I'd see scalls eyeing up a hat a little further down the terrace. A surge kicks in and said hat goes west.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11471 on: February 28, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »
A jungle indeed. Me and a few of the lads from our estate use to get the 12 or 13 from Canny Farm and get off at the Belmont and walk down. We were hard knocks like but going into L4 and the match back then was a different pan of Scouse ( just made that up )  ;D.

This is thread seems to be heading into an unofficial bring your old stuff thread . Is right .

Let's hope the old hot dog fellas are there.

I'd hate to have been an away here fan in those days. 

We used to walk through the park to get the bus at Spellow Lane. It could be scary on a dark, winter night.

My cousin married a Manc, and he came down with United and the Road Enders hung him up in a tree by his scarf in Stanley Park.  :lmao

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11472 on: February 28, 2020, 01:00:13 pm »
When we were kids we'd come home for dinnertime. Our parents were at work, so a few of us would put the Kop Choir album on full blast then stand on the couch with our scarves up singing YNWA.  :scarf :scarf :scarf

I reckon we done something similar. We also had the Bruge 78 game on vinyl. The amount of times we pretended to be Kenny when he scored was erm... a lot. I do remember my Da pointing to him on the Kop Choir cover. Thats another thing I dont know what happened too.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11473 on: February 28, 2020, 01:41:57 pm »

She drinks in the Tia post match do you want here number ?   ;D  Kidding. She had brown hair mate. She actually met me Da at the aways in 1967 so he beat you to it mate.

Shit.

Ah well, can't win 'em all...er...what's that Julie doing these days Kes

;D

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #11474 on: February 28, 2020, 01:57:15 pm »
That Kop album was brilliant for playing subutteo to. Even the little players seemed to respond.

I never had subby stands like some kids did. They got in the way of your technique. But I did sometimes create my own one-dimensional stands by building a sort of permiter fence with pencils and then packing the enclosures with marbles. Blue marbles behind one goal and then loads of red ones in a massive sort of Kop behind the other. Marbles are great for creating a ‘surge forward’ following a near miss. When you got the Kop Choir belting out the Dambusters tune on the vinyl as well the atmosphere was absolutely electric. All in your own living room too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #11475 on: February 28, 2020, 02:11:00 pm »
Shit.

Ah well, can't win 'em all...er...what's that Julie doing these days Kes

;D

;D

Me mum is single though . Are you minted ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11476 on: February 28, 2020, 02:18:01 pm »
:lmao at the last two posts ;D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11477 on: February 28, 2020, 02:29:51 pm »
That Kop album was brilliant for playing subutteo to. Even the little players seemed to respond.

I never had subby stands like some kids did. They got in the way of your technique. But I did sometimes create my own one-dimensional stands by building a sort of permiter fence with pencils and then packing the enclosures with marbles. Blue marbles behind one goal and then loads of red ones in a massive sort of Kop behind the other. Marbles are great for creating a ‘surge forward’ following a near miss. When you got the Kop Choir belting out the Dambusters tune on the vinyl as well the atmosphere was absolutely electric. All in your own living room too.

“....and your travelling army of synthetic supporters marbles would be taken away from you and thrown in the bin”

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eBmFuySb_Qw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eBmFuySb_Qw</a>

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11478 on: February 28, 2020, 06:28:17 pm »
;D

Me mum is single though . Are you minted ?
:lmao

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #11479 on: February 28, 2020, 06:45:51 pm »
Not sure where to put this, but it's The Mission playing 'Draped in red' written by Wayne Hussey, a life long Red after Istanbul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNyTvn2y7cc

I've never heard it before - perhaps not their greatest song musically, but lyrically...