Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1786397 times)

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lets Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #720 on: March 1, 2015, 10:16:11 am »
My Uncle (mistakenly) thinks I have a ST

So he text me on Friday asking "How did you get your ST Jake, my mate wants to get one for him and his kid"

So I reply saying how the membership rip off scheme "works".

He replies saying something like "Thanks, he wants to see top level football, he's not decided between Liverpool or Man City yet".

Eurgh. He can fuck off and be a plastic city fan then. If he's a grown man with a child and hasn't decided who he supports yet.

;D

you'd be great to have a beer with and listen to rant about everything wrong with the modern 'fan' ..  I worry what youd sat about me though ;)

Offline livesound

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #721 on: March 1, 2015, 10:17:51 am »
My Uncle (mistakenly) thinks I have a ST

So he text me on Friday asking "How did you get your ST Jake, my mate wants to get one for him and his kid"

So I reply saying how the membership rip off scheme "works".

He replies saying something like "Thanks, he wants to see top level football, he's not decided between Liverpool or Man City yet".

Eurgh. He can fuck off and be a plastic city fan then. If he's a grown man with a child and hasn't decided who he supports yet.

Sadly, that's what the kids are like. They want to see winners (we all do really) - But, they're not satisfied supporting teams not doing the business. Don't get me wrong, I don't speak on behalf of every kid who loves the footy, but it's certainly like that.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #722 on: March 1, 2015, 10:19:24 am »
Ugh another one.

The ataturk stadium, all seated, 130decibels of support.

To be fair though, that was a European cup final, the best game of football ever seen, a David v Goliath contest, AND no-one was seated.

Everyone just went in with their mates as well, no-one had to go to their spec if they didn't want to.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: March 1, 2015, 03:15:34 pm »
So so quiet today. I was up in the 300s today where you're usually guarantee a bit of noise, but it was dead until our second goal.

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: March 1, 2015, 03:23:09 pm »
;D

you'd be great to have a beer with and listen to rant about everything wrong with the modern 'fan' ..  I worry what youd sat about me though ;)

Believe me you'll be fed up of him after about 20 mins mate! ;D

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #725 on: March 1, 2015, 05:23:23 pm »
To be fair though, that was a European cup final, the best game of football ever seen, a David v Goliath contest, AND no-one was seated.

Everyone just went in with their mates as well, no-one had to go to their spec if they didn't want to.

I was on about the turkish fans last thursday.   The commentators said the turkish fans hold the record for most noise (beating our record v chelsea 2005) and the beskitas fans on the night created quite a din of noise.  I agree though with a big stadium = more licence to stand with who you want and were you want which obviously helps.   I'm sure given its size and wealth of the country the turkish teams dont charge an arm and a leg for most matches and they seem to have lots of young support in the ground who understand they are there to do a job. 

Its not the stadiums, its not the bricks and motar (though some stands are more conducive to making a din - cardiff over wembley anyday) but in the main its the makeup of the crowd, they either get it or they dont. 

I feared the worst today, get to the ground and at the turnstiles were 3 sterotypical asian fans with big stupid cameras.  Walk up to my seat and the steward there is taking a pic of some other fan holding his scarf aloft.   The redeeming quality were the dad and lad stood infront of me, dont know if they were local, foreign, dont give one, they turned up, joined in with songs, didn't budge from the seat, the dad brought a bag of crisps and that was enough for the kid who didn't wanna miss a second of the match or even the half time penalties. 

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #726 on: March 1, 2015, 05:30:59 pm »
No all-standing Kop today made a big difference yet again.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #727 on: March 1, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »
Too many old arses without any passion whatsoever. Talking through YNWA, flicking through their phone, being miserable and only time you hear something from them is the usual abuse towards our own players "shite", "c*nts" etc. If you can be up for it when we face the champions and we play great why even bother? Save yourself the money, watch it at the pub our at home in your sofa with a couple of beers and a pizza.
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #728 on: March 1, 2015, 05:54:24 pm »
Too many old arses without any passion whatsoever. Talking through YNWA, flicking through their phone, being miserable and only time you hear something from them is the usual abuse towards our own players "shite", "c*nts" etc. If you can be up for it when we face the champions and we play great why even bother? Save yourself the money, watch it at the pub our at home in your sofa with a couple of beers and a pizza.

I need to check Wikapedia but your quoting Pol Pot and the old holding back the revolution aren't you?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #729 on: March 1, 2015, 06:04:10 pm »
I was on about the turkish fans last thursday.   The commentators said the turkish fans hold the record for most noise (beating our record v chelsea 2005) and the beskitas fans on the night created quite a din of noise.  I agree though with a big stadium = more licence to stand with who you want and were you want which obviously helps.   I'm sure given its size and wealth of the country the turkish teams dont charge an arm and a leg for most matches and they seem to have lots of young support in the ground who understand they are there to do a job. 

Its not the stadiums, its not the bricks and motar (though some stands are more conducive to making a din - cardiff over wembley anyday) but in the main its the makeup of the crowd, they either get it or they dont. 

I feared the worst today, get to the ground and at the turnstiles were 3 sterotypical asian fans with big stupid cameras.  Walk up to my seat and the steward there is taking a pic of some other fan holding his scarf aloft.   The redeeming quality were the dad and lad stood infront of me, dont know if they were local, foreign, dont give one, they turned up, joined in with songs, didn't budge from the seat, the dad brought a bag of crisps and that was enough for the kid who didn't wanna miss a second of the match or even the half time penalties. 

So because Beşiktaş have amazing support no matter what, safe standing won't lead to better support for other teams. The argument doesn't really work does it? Completely different cultures, far too many mitigating factors at play. Who's to say a standing zone wouldn't bring a massive group of like-minded supporters together?

:D

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #730 on: March 1, 2015, 06:07:09 pm »
where have i mentioned safe standing?   I said they make a racket, as did we in 2005, with the seating arrangement as it is.  Seating arrangements isn't the issue. 

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #731 on: March 1, 2015, 06:16:44 pm »
where have i mentioned safe standing?   I said they make a racket, as did we in 2005, with the seating arrangement as it is.  Seating arrangements isn't the issue. 

Sorry bud, chimed in without having read fully!

I think seating arrangements are key to your bread and butter games in the league, and that does tie in to safe standing as you can achieve that goal of getting like minded groups together and building a culture like that have at Dortmund, a tired comparison I know.

Big games have always had big atmosphere (though idiots now don't know they're born recently so that's becoming less of a fact), your home games to relegation fodder have always been pretty flat... even Paisley had to publicly come out and question the noise of the Kop back in the day.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: March 1, 2015, 07:19:03 pm »

Everyone was standing in the 300 blocks and that didn't seem to help the atmosphere. So many hand and half scarves as well, I just don't get it. It's understandable to want a momento from the game - that's what fucking programmes are for though!

As others have said, it's less about whether people are sitting or standing (though safe standing would at least mean there are more bodies in the same space) and more about the people in the crowd.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2015, 07:20:50 pm by swordfishtrombone »

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #733 on: March 1, 2015, 07:19:58 pm »
Sat in main stand MX today, wasnt really any singing, only when we scored or had a good spell. Tried to get something going, but its impossible. It was a tourist central there and I'm a tourist, but at least I give my 90 minutes to lfc not to my nikon camera.. Anyway sitting close to away fans isn't suiting for me, got into words with too many city fans or as you may call it banter, had the last laugh so it was alright... At least against burnley I am back at the kop, where you can at least sing and yell without getting looks

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: March 1, 2015, 08:13:49 pm »
Thought today was quite good myself. Was pleasantly surprised, given the kick-off time. Think part of the perception of the atmosphere is what you do yourself - if you feel you can sing and shout, it feels better. Also a single knobhead near you can ruin a whole match, had that too a few times.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #735 on: March 1, 2015, 08:14:47 pm »
I need to check Wikapedia but your quoting Pol Pot and the old holding back the revolution aren't you?
More Logans Run, than Pol Pot.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: March 1, 2015, 08:53:57 pm »
the kop looked great today before the game YNWA, anyone got a picture 

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: March 2, 2015, 12:46:07 am »

Thought that was bizzare to be honest

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #738 on: March 2, 2015, 12:49:42 am »
Do the stewards decide if the kop will actually stand as a whole for a big game? Who makes the decision?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: March 2, 2015, 08:03:28 am »
St Etienne remains the loudest atmosphere I have ever heard, used to stand on a stool as a 12yr old and got swept off it after the goal,  stayed wedged up and eventually managed to grip a barrier, never saw the stool again.  Seriously scary retrospectively but awesome at the time.   Thing I remember about Chelsea was getting in at about 6.30 and being amazed at the noise being generated by about 10000 fans.  It just got better...
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #742 on: March 2, 2015, 10:23:20 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-named-premier-leagues-loudest-fans-despite-late-push-by-chelsea-according-to-smart-meter-app-9878952.html

Second quietest fans this season. Says it all really. Can't say I'm not surprised.

Decibel levels recorded on a smartphone app for the first minute of the game only, back in November. Article isn't worth pixels it's printed on.

« Last Edit: March 2, 2015, 10:25:56 am by Kashinoda »

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #743 on: March 2, 2015, 10:34:44 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-named-premier-leagues-loudest-fans-despite-late-push-by-chelsea-according-to-smart-meter-app-9878952.html

Second quietest fans this season. Says it all really. Can't say I'm not surprised.

Its not relevant, not cos of the date, but 1) its measured by iPhone app 2) its measured for 1 minute from kick off to 1 minute mark. 3) the range of games -  Utd fans recorded away at arsenal - a big game. Chelsea fans recorded away at anfield - a big game.  We were recorded away at palace.   

It's not an exact science but a fun wum article.   

I'm gonna download this app if i can find it and do some scientific research on how much noise we make at home as my seat is slap bang in the middle of the Kop.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #744 on: March 2, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »

For fuck's sake, don't put this in a league table format, we struggle with anything in table format.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
« Reply #745 on: March 5, 2015, 08:51:09 am »
In 202 yesterday. God how I hate that up-down-up-down-lark. Sounded really good the first two minutes but as soon as everyone sits down it just dies out. I struggle to think of ANY sense this sitting down/ standing up stategy makes. I tried to encourage the people around me to keep standing but they wouldn't. Still, as soon as the half time whistle blew, everyone was quick to their feet, and not for going the bogs. Thought hard of walking into 206 after the break and sneak into the standing section. Didn't, went back to my spec in 202 and grew more frustrated everytime the lad in front of me rose from his arse.

To me, this is the biggest issue: You get people joining in, whistling to songs etc so loads probably know the songs and have the urge to sing, which they don't solely because they're sat down. A bigger standing section is needed. If the club doesn't come up with one, it's cameraderie and comunication that's needed. They won't tell a whole block to sit down.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #746 on: March 5, 2015, 11:07:37 am »
I've said this before, but whilst I love some of the long old songs, they don't help an atmosphere at times.

It's the simpler ditties which get the atmosphere going. Easy for kids to join in with, easier for those who aren't attending as often to pick up etc. We may have to be slightly pragmatic about getting it bouncing again before being ambitious.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2015, 11:23:17 am by Strummer77 »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: March 5, 2015, 11:46:08 am »
Anybody hear that joe Allen song yesterday? First time I've ever heard that before.

Had people behind me chanting "show me the motion" rather than poetry in motion but at least they were trying to help with the atmosphere!
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: March 5, 2015, 12:03:06 pm »
Anybody hear that joe Allen song yesterday? First time I've ever heard that before.

The 'Jammin' one?

Pissed myself when a few started doing the fast bit, Joeallenjoeallenjoeallenjoeallen.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: March 5, 2015, 12:05:06 pm »
I've said this before, but whilst I love some of the long old songs, they don't help an atmosphere at times.

It's the simpler ditties which get the atmosphere going. Easy for kids to join in with, easier for those who aren't attending as often to pick up etc. We may have to be slightly pragmatic about getting it bouncing again before being ambitious.

I prefer the longer ones. The short ones just die off after a couple of goes anyway, at least a few hang on til the end of the long ones.

What I find difficult is when you're in the middle of the Kop and one side is singing a line ahead of the opposite side, just have to join in whichever is loudest but it is confusing.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: March 5, 2015, 12:05:55 pm »
The 'Jammin' one?

Pissed myself when a few started doing the fast bit, Joeallenjoeallenjoeallenjoeallen.

Yeah that was hilarious, wasn't sure what the tune was
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: March 5, 2015, 12:41:36 pm »
Yeah that was hilarious, wasn't sure what the tune was

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oFRbZJXjWIA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oFRbZJXjWIA</a>

Doesn't always sound like it, but I believe it is this...

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: March 5, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »
In 305 yesterday, horrible. Most songs were started from 306, but didnt carry on to 305,except the occasional when the reds go marching in and foar... With the amount of spares,it was expected tho. But still people arriving 14 minutes late was the biggest shocker.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #753 on: March 5, 2015, 03:21:02 pm »
In 305 yesterday, horrible. Most songs were started from 306, but didnt carry on to 305,except the occasional when the reds go marching in and foar... With the amount of spares,it was expected tho. But still people arriving 14 minutes late was the biggest shocker.

I was in 305 as well, to be fair I've heard it be worse than it was yesterday but still not great. Every time I tried to get involved I had a Dad and his kid next to me giving me the eyes. I know it shouldn't but it put me off singing.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: March 5, 2015, 04:04:49 pm »
I was in 305 as well, to be fair I've heard it be worse than it was yesterday but still not great. Every time I tried to get involved I had a Dad and his kid next to me giving me the eyes. I know it shouldn't but it put me off singing.

I know what you mean, when I heard my voice echoing back to me I just felt why bother at some point

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #755 on: March 5, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »
306 wasn't fantastic either to be honest, quite a bit of singing from the usual crowd, but the number of people just chatting constantly through the match was doing my head in.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #756 on: March 5, 2015, 04:46:40 pm »
306 wasn't fantastic either to be honest, quite a bit of singing from the usual crowd, but the number of people just chatting constantly through the match was doing my head in.

The surrounding area around me was effectively a press conference of mobile phone use. As I said to my girlfriend when I got in, I was shocked by it. If you get a call then fair play, but to be there Instagraming yourself is just madness in my opinion.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: March 5, 2015, 05:21:22 pm »
The surrounding area around me was effectively a press conference of mobile phone use. As I said to my girlfriend when I got in, I was shocked by it. If you get a call then fair play, but to be there Instagraming yourself is just madness in my opinion.

Should boot the c*nts out the ground and don't let them back in

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: March 5, 2015, 05:25:23 pm »
Did anybody see that whopper by the tunnel up to 306? Was walking through and he was trying to take selfies with everybody who walked past, crazy. I just put my head down and walked on when he tried

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: March 5, 2015, 05:28:15 pm »
Eurgh. Sooner Anfield installs a no cameras rule, the sooner I'll come back.