Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 560373 times)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Re: Realistically, is it just a battle for 4th spot with 2 other teams now?
« Reply #880 on: February 7, 2014, 12:45:21 pm »
Bogey team? I don't know what time period you're using to determine they're our bogey team, but I always thought we've got a decent record against them......we've smashed them a few times in my memory and all they've really got in response is the double they did over us last season.

I base my view first and foremost on the actual game, extreme I know. They were absolutely terrible in the first half, truly shit. 2nd half we seemed ponderous and out of ideas. Even then, we still didn't look like conceding in open play. Mignolet then pulled off a great save from a corner, and Kolo had a brain fart.

To be clear, I can accept us having an off game, its to be expeted. No squad can maintain top form throughout a season. This is why it annoys me when people bang on about bad results as if they're the end of the world.

But its pretty clear to me that West Brom didn't earn the point through good play, we gave it to them.
It isn't a matter of earning a point through good play. It's whether you can take advantage of mistakes as well as you would initiate good play too. You can defend for 90mins without leaving your half much, register 25% possession and score 6 and it would have nothing to do with whether you earned anything. You won the match cause you did what was necessary- pounce on mistakes. Some teams force mistakes, some teams wait on mistakes. WBA earned their draw, cause they had the foresight to determine the opportune moment to pounce and force a mistake. It was not a mistake to pass to Kolo, but it was brilliant to have the anticipation to force a mistake off him. We didn't gift them anything. They worked the mistake.

I'm sure your familiar with Liverpool vs. Barcelona in 2006/2007? We didn't earn our win through good play. We were shite and punished Barca. LFC vs. WBA was not at the same level, but it helps demo the point. There are tons of examples.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2014, 12:49:54 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #881 on: February 7, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
76 Actually. It comes from Rodgers. Straight from the horses mouth, BUT 76 is projected to be the average number of points needed for nr. 4 anyway, so Rodgers got it from there.: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brendan-rodgers-insists-liverpool-are-still-performing-above-expectations-2014-1435049

How is 76 the average??

The last 10 years were the following points needed for 4th: 73, 69, 68, 70, 72, 76, 67, 61, 60, 60

Thats an average of 67.6?

(Excuse me, just seen you'd said 'projected')
« Last Edit: February 7, 2014, 12:47:01 pm by Red_Irishman »
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #882 on: February 7, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
Im sure i heard on Monday morning that Opta had us as 20th in the league for making mistakes that cost us a goal

If we can get the 2 pts per game back on track im sure we will be fine with 76 pts

No, we're 1st in the league for mistakes leading to a goal (29). It's been more of a case of us shooting ourselves in the foot than the opposition deserving to take away anything from our games.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: February 7, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »
No, we're 1st in the league for mistakes leading to a goal (29). It's been more of a case of us shooting ourselves in the foot than the opposition deserving to take away anything from our games.

so the opposition dont deserve to take anything from the game if they punish a mistake? Mistakes are there to be punished.I get what your saying though,sort of
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #884 on: February 7, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »
^ To be fair, although it doesn't quite read right they way he put it, I think that's what he meant - as in 'relegation form' for nobbling ourselves with costly errors. I could be wrong.

I'm not surprised at all that we're leading the way on that front!  :P
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #885 on: February 7, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »
so the opposition dont deserve to take anything from the game if they punish a mistake? Mistakes are there to be punished.I get what your saying though,sort of

No, they take their chances and they get their points. In that sense, they're getting what they deserve.

I don't think that should detract from the balance of the game and how we play in general. Football is a game that can be decided by 1-2 moments (mistakes) but the scoreline is not necessarily the arbiter of the strength of a team/performance - although it is the only statistic that actually counts.

I think we've been inordinately sloppy though; and it's something we usually wouldn't do - be the worst team in the league in terms of mistakes leading to goals. Even if we were average, 10th, midway, we'd be right in the title fight. And I think our play has actually deserved that kind of ranking.

And while I'm sure other teams can feel they could have done better, having watched a lot of the games myself I wouldn't agree - of course I'm biased being a Liverpool fan but I think it's a bit deeper than that.

On Whoscored.com for example we're the highest rated English team with a team rating of 7.15 which indicates that a lot of the good things we've done have been undone by some stupid mistakes, and hence we're 4th right now.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2014, 02:20:40 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #886 on: February 7, 2014, 02:26:40 pm »
Let us be honest -

The biggest threats is Spurs and the Mancs.

I think Everton has played better but now with Lukaku out and Miralas looking tieard and winded up by the smallest obstacle, I can see them start to draw even more  then they have done.

But the mancs is allways the mancs, despite them have Moyes as manager. Spurs is really Hit n Miss, but they wont grab many points form the top flights, so if we can beat them and get away with a draw at OT, well, I can really see us make it.

Our biggest obstacle is Chelsea at home in the end of April. It just feels like they will be so in for the title then and I am pretty sure they will be out of CL at that point.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #887 on: February 7, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »
Let us be honest -

I think Everton has played better but now with Lukaku out and Miralas looking tieard and winded up by the smallest obstacle, I can see them start to draw even more  then they have done.

But the mancs is allways the mancs, despite them have Moyes as manager. Spurs is really Hit n Miss, but they wont grab many points form the top flights, so if we can beat them and get away with a draw at OT, well, I can really see us make it.

Our biggest obstacle is Chelsea at home in the end of April. It just feels like they will be so in for the title then and I am pretty sure they will be out of CL at that point.

are?  ;)
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Online Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #888 on: February 7, 2014, 04:44:05 pm »
Let us be honest -

Disagree. Whether we like it or not I think Everton are a better team unit and have a better manager then either of those two clubs. And even though Lukaku is out they have Barkley, Mirallas and Deulofeu who is about to come back for them, who are more then capable of creating and making goals. They imo are our biggest threat for 4th spot.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: February 7, 2014, 04:52:56 pm »
Disagree. Whether we like it or not I think Everton are a better team unit and have a better manager then either of those two clubs. And even though Lukaku is out they have Barkley, Mirallas and Deulofeu who is about to come back for them, who are more then capable of creating and making goals. They imo are our biggest threat for 4th spot.

I would rather see Everton take the points of Spurs this weekend, I just think Everton will draw to many games as the season goes on. Spurs have all the weapons to take fourth, the danger is if they click.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #890 on: February 7, 2014, 05:06:55 pm »
Let us be honest -

I wouldn't discount Everton. They've got players coming back and a couple of new signings who might have an impact. Traore could be decent for them and provide them with goals in Lukaku's absence.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #891 on: February 7, 2014, 05:08:49 pm »
I wouldn't discount anyone just yet.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #892 on: February 7, 2014, 05:10:36 pm »
I would rather see Everton take the points of Spurs this weekend, I just think Everton will draw to many games as the season goes on. Spurs have all the weapons to take fourth, the danger is if they click.
Agreed. Draw is the ideal result but I don't see Everton lasting the pace so probably them winning is best.

Bottom line though is that we need to look after our own business. If we win tomorrow we won't give a shit what happens behind us.

Offline Desi Kopite

• Anny Roader
  • Twitter: @pritsinghlfc
« Reply #893 on: February 7, 2014, 05:14:50 pm »

I agree with this, I can see Everton fade away and Spurs seem like they're just waiting to pounce.  Draw for me.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: February 7, 2014, 07:29:31 pm »
People laying down 75 points as the benchmark for 4th. Where is this stat coming from? Is it this the projected number for this season?

Really think it will be lower, around 70-72
Here are a couple of analyses--one in-depth, one simple--that conclude 4th should be around 75 points. That said, they're projections based on how things have gone so far, and because we are the ones in 4th place, they're in large part based on how we've done so far . Part of the reason the number is so high, particularly in Michael Caley's, is that it thinks very highly of Liverpool. If we drop off some, we might still be able to get it at 72ish.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2014, 07:32:08 pm by ElstonGunn »

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #896 on: February 7, 2014, 09:02:26 pm »
Thank fuck for that!......the Mancs only have 3% T4%...and we're on 85%...and here's me worrying...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: February 7, 2014, 09:29:55 pm »
You probably are right in not discounting anyone. However, if one wants to make a projection..... then almost everything apart from the names Manchester United, Juan Mata, Van Persie and Rooney suggests that the odds of Manchester United are only slightly better than Newcastle for fourth.

The forms of Spurs and Everton are also much better than Manchester United, so if one wants to attempt to make a prediction, the threat is going to come mainly from those two

Offline Kenny Coat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #898 on: February 8, 2014, 08:56:04 am »
You have to assume that City and Chelsea will win this weekend. That would put them on 56 points.

I think we will beat Arsenal today which will put us on 50 points with Arsenal on 55 points.

You have to take each round of fixtures as they come but after today, I'd say we are right bang in the Title race never mind 4th.

With Fulham and Swansea (both clubs in disarray) up next.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline carl5363

• Anny Roader
« Reply #899 on: February 8, 2014, 08:58:16 am »
If we lose today, then anyone targeting anything more than 4th is in dream world...but if we win, I'll certainly be aiming higher.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #900 on: February 8, 2014, 08:59:55 am »
Tottenham aren't a threat under Sherwood, the guy's a clueless idiot.

It'll be United and Everton that challenge. We need to perform better than last week and the shambolic Villa game. If we're as inconsistent as recent games we'll miss out.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #901 on: February 8, 2014, 10:30:25 am »
here's a projection...the Mancs, Bitters, Spurs and us will all be in the race for 4th...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #902 on: February 8, 2014, 11:04:51 am »
According to that stat the Mancs have a 14% of making 5th, and only 3% for 4th. Seems really low to me but im happy with that!

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hollywood Balls

• Pine Wood Cock
  • Kopite
  • "Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville."
« Reply #904 on: February 8, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »

Right. All bets are on hold.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts: CAN'T LOSE!

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #905 on: February 8, 2014, 03:33:39 pm »

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: February 8, 2014, 03:34:36 pm »
Are people still looking at 4th? We are going for the title at the moment. Not 4th. We are more than good enough to be winning the title this season.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #907 on: February 8, 2014, 03:34:46 pm »
We should rename this thread to 'Cementing a CL place whilst keeping a close eye on those above us. '

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #908 on: February 8, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »
Title needs changing.

'Realistically, is it just a battle for 1st spot with 3 other teams now?"

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #909 on: February 8, 2014, 03:36:47 pm »
Hmm.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: February 8, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »
This was the best possible way to starts Aresnal's ridiculous run of tough fixtures. Arsenal will capitulate over the coming months.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #911 on: February 8, 2014, 03:41:26 pm »
I said this back in December, when we were top of the league:

For people doubting our chances of a title challenge, against the might of City, Chelsea and Arsenal -

Remember Derby in 1972.

Nobody expected them to win the league, and they were a team of cobbled together players led by a charismatic manager and a 38 year old sweeper who had been part of one of the best teams of the century. And that was against the might of Leeds, Liverpool, and a double-winning Arsenal.

It can be done.

I think we're dark horses. We're not being judged on whether we win the league or not, as our real objective is top four. But as long as we stay within 6 points of whoever is top, with 3-4 games to go, we're in with a chance.
Better looking than Samie.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: February 8, 2014, 03:43:47 pm »
Still in a real battle to hold 4th. Need more than a 3 point cushion with 13 games to go before it's nailed on. Anything could still happen. Don't understand how some think it's a certainty. We aren't exactly detached from our rivals and we're dodgy away from home.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2014, 03:48:07 pm by peachybum »
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #913 on: February 8, 2014, 03:46:32 pm »
Are people still looking at 4th?

Yeah, we can't get carried away until we improve our away record, would anyone really be surprised to see us drop points at Fulham? Also, we've still got Chelsea, City and Spurs to come to Anfield and we go to Southampton and Man United, we'll ultimately drop a fair few points over the course of those fixtures and that's without all the other teams we need to play, especially away from home. It's still all about 4th place.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: February 8, 2014, 03:47:11 pm »
Still in a real battle to hold 4th. Need more than a 3 point cushion with 13 games to go before it's nailed on. Anything could still happen.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

you just can't help it can you?

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #915 on: February 8, 2014, 03:48:08 pm »

He's spot on.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: February 8, 2014, 03:49:18 pm »

You think a 3 point gap with 13 games to go makes 4th a certainty?

We're slight favorites. Nothing more at this stage.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #917 on: February 8, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »
He's spot on.
Agree too. Yes it was an absolutely ecstatic performance, but to be sure to get CL football next season, we will need to be more consistent away from home or beat all the teams that will come to Anfield. That's not easy at all, but I'm sure the boys can do it if they keep their concentration and level of performance up.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #918 on: February 8, 2014, 03:52:12 pm »

Nothing wrong with what he said. Our aim is still 4th, anything above and beyond that is a bonus.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #919 on: February 8, 2014, 03:52:39 pm »
Statement win. Pressure is on everton, spurs, and united more than anyone now.