Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 559668 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: Realistically, is it just a battle for 4th spot with 2 other teams now?
« Reply #1040 on: February 9, 2014, 06:40:11 pm »
if this is true then there is no worry...
but that means the champions can not make CL? that is bit absurd isn't it?
if it was utd then it is a good rule but if that was us? no fucken way ;D

No. If the winner came from a country with only one entrant, they'd get two. You just can't have more than 4, as it stands.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline LuisLuis

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1041 on: February 9, 2014, 06:42:42 pm »
if this is true then there is no worry...
but that means the champions can not make CL? that is bit absurd isn't it?
if it was utd then it is a good rule but if that was us? no fucken way ;D

No it means there would be 5 English teams not the champions would miss out. There's also another article somewhere that says the only way 4th would miss out is if both the CL winners and the EL winners were from the same country and both finished outside the top 4.

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
  • At the end of the storm There's a golden sky
« Reply #1042 on: February 9, 2014, 06:42:46 pm »
Spurs are the only team I'm worried about. We have to win when they visiting us.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: February 9, 2014, 06:45:52 pm »
No it means there would be 5 English teams not the champions would miss out. There's also another article somewhere that says the only way 4th would miss out is if both the CL winners and the EL winners were from the same country and both finished outside the top 4.

Doesn't apply this season in any case.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #1044 on: February 9, 2014, 06:48:17 pm »
I don't want to rule Man Utd out of the race. Literally don't want to. There's too much entertainment value in watching them flounder and fall further behind.
 Wednesday is massive. If results go our way we will have one foot in the CL.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1045 on: February 9, 2014, 06:50:25 pm »
Looking more and more like us vs Spurs.

Tonight, United are well and truly out of the race. Everton look tired and I doubt they'll be gaining 5 points on us anytime soon really.

As long as we can beat Spurs at Anfield, we're going to make it to the CL, provided we keep up our 2 ppg average or thereabouts. Excellent weekend.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
  • We are all part of Liverpool-FC
« Reply #1046 on: February 9, 2014, 06:51:10 pm »
ok... so its still means... if you are champions and finish 10th... u can still make CL right?
and 4th place getter only misses out on CL if CL winner and EL winner all finished outside top 4.
So anyway this season.. we can safely finish in 4th and get CL.
Well lets get 3rd anyway,
seems after todays games, Everton and Utd have dropped more off, definitely need to beat spurs at home now.
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: February 9, 2014, 06:52:55 pm »
Everton desperately need a win at home to Palace in midweek to stay in the race.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: February 9, 2014, 06:53:42 pm »
I don't want to rule Man Utd out of the race. Literally don't want to. There's too much entertainment value in watching them flounder and fall further behind.
 Wednesday is massive. If results go our way we will have one foot in the CL.
This is so true ;D
I just love seeing them get poor results and then still talk about title hopes and so on LOLLLLL
I really wish they keep Moyes as long as possible... give him time like they did to whiskey nose...
5years or something at his start... that should be enough to get them possibly relegated :D
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: February 9, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »
ok... so its still means... if you are champions and finish 10th... u can still make CL right?
and 4th place getter only misses out on CL if CL winner and EL winner all finished outside top 4.
So anyway this season.. we can safely finish in 4th and get CL.
Well lets get 3rd anyway,
seems after todays games, Everton and Utd have dropped more off, definitely need to beat spurs at home now.

No. This season the rules are the same as they have been for a while. If an English team wins the Champions League and finishes outside the top four, then the fourth placed team wouldn't qualify. We can still safely finish 4th and get it, but only because Manchester United are far too shit to win the Champions League.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1050 on: February 9, 2014, 06:58:28 pm »
Spurs are the only team I'm worried about. We have to win when they visiting us.

They still have to play the Chelsea and Arsenal before they play us so the gap could be pretty big by the time they play us
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1051 on: February 9, 2014, 06:58:41 pm »

The way they've clung to our coat-tails is worrying, we've blasted teams apart several times, they've crawled to victory every week and are just three points off our pace. Indeed that game of Anfield is taking on cup final proportions but, Fulham to be considered first, we'll worry about Spurs when we need to. Goal difference what it is, we have to drop points to let them in so let's not see that happen.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: February 9, 2014, 06:59:55 pm »
No. This season the rules are the same as they have been for a while. If an English team wins the Champions League and finishes outside the top four, then the fourth placed team wouldn't qualify. We can still safely finish 4th and get it, but only because Manchester United are far too shit to win the Champions League.
oh fuck... that's got me so worried now... the fuckers probably bribe everyone possible so they
can do this, especially if it meant knocking US out... fuck fuck fuck...
I just hope they get knocked out this round... who they playin? bet they got a good draw!!!
MICHELANGELO

Offline Occy

• Anny Roader
  • Loves to Lurk.
« Reply #1053 on: February 9, 2014, 07:05:36 pm »
If you watched the Fulham game I don't understand why you think Utd will win the CL. This talk is like discussing the future prospects of the Dodo bird saving the world.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: February 9, 2014, 07:06:33 pm »
Just as I thought... Utd got Olympiakos, out of all the good teams... FFS...
I hope they get knocked out... so it leaves no doubt about security of 4th spot.. damn them...
MICHELANGELO

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: February 9, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »
oh fuck... that's got me so worried now... the fuckers probably bribe everyone possible so they
I just hope they get knocked out this round... who they playin? bet they got a good draw!!!

Grow a pair kid.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: February 9, 2014, 07:08:04 pm »
They can't beat Fulham mate, even if they beat Olympiakos which is far from certain, how are they going to beat 3 top European sides on the bounce.

They're not. Simple as that.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: February 9, 2014, 07:08:17 pm »
If you watched the Fulham game I don't understand why you think Utd will win the CL. This talk is like discussing the future prospects of the Dodo bird saving the world.
we did, Chelsea did, English teams have that kind of spirit that defies logic more then any
other teams from other countries... especially in CL...
until its definite... then I will pray everyday to the football gods that they get knocked out ASAP
MICHELANGELO

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: February 9, 2014, 07:08:56 pm »
Just as I thought... Utd got Olympiakos, out of all the good teams... FFS...
I hope they get knocked out... so it leaves no doubt about security of 4th spot.. damn them...

Lets get third and let Arsenal worry about that one.

They are so far off the pace now I might prefer United beat Arsenal now, draw is not bad for us either.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2014, 07:11:10 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: February 9, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »
Grow a pair kid.
well I did get carried away there, but... looks like I am older then you ;D if 76 is year you were born.
well I did act like a kid there, just wanted uncertain crap out of the way that's all :D
MICHELANGELO

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1060 on: February 9, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »
Lets get third and let Arsenal worry about that one.
that's the spirit... that's why I didn't like the OP, at the time it was probably reasonable with the
squad and injuries. but on current form we could get 3rd. just gotta keep up the consistency every game,
not just the big games. which happened last week, hope it doesn't happen against Fulham.
MICHELANGELO

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1061 on: February 9, 2014, 07:13:20 pm »
If I wasn't a liverpool fan I'd say we were nailed on for it -it's only my negative subjectivity that makes me full of doubt
We're just playing at a way higher level than all the other contenders and we still have players to come back and our closest rival to play at home

The reality is the others are going to drop points pretty consistently - they're just not good enough to bang out a long run of wins.

Oh and don't underestimate how much the Europa league games will damage Spurs

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #1062 on: February 9, 2014, 07:13:41 pm »
we did, Chelsea did, English teams have that kind of spirit that defies logic more then any
other teams from other countries... especially in CL...
until its definite... then I will pray everyday to the football gods that they get knocked out ASAP

Fuck all that pissing pants bollocks, we'll finish 3rd anyway.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: February 9, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »
It doesn't really matter anymore.

If United matched their best last-14-games-of-the-season from the past decade, they'd reach 75 points (2 of the last 10 seasons, =35 pts). Or 74, or 72 a couple of times out of ten, or 70 (the average), or 67 (twice) or once (hilariously), they'd end up on 59 points.

And that's ignoring the very relevant fact that the far better indicator of their current potential is their current form - which is 8 points below their worst in 10 years, 19 points below their best, at an average of about 15. Their best improvement over the last 14 games was in 2005/06 - and the same % improvement this season would only give them 70 points.

Of course, all of that is with Ferguson as manager, with Scholes and Neville unretired, with Giggs/Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra/Carrick/Rooney/RVP a few years younger. Or with Ronaldo not in Madrid. Juan Mata isn't going to overcome those issues, Moyes isn't Ferguson. But even if their problems magically disappeared*, half their players rediscovered form not seen this decade* and Ferguson stepped in to replace Moyes*, they'd still be highly unlikely to get more than 70-73 points - which is the very low end of what we can reasonably expect to reach without a statistically unlikely collapse.

* And none of those things are going to happen.

Done some time ago, now dusted.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1064 on: February 9, 2014, 07:24:02 pm »
Fuck all that pissing pants bollocks, we'll finish 3rd anyway.

fuck all that 3rd nonsense as well. We can win the fucking thing. Momentum is everything in footy. Arsenal having their usual stutter, city not the same minus aguero and mourinho is just a twat. thank you  ;)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: February 9, 2014, 07:24:34 pm »
My feeling is that we have reached the stage that coming 5th or lower will be seen as a major disappointment.

It's okay at this point to feel disappointed if we finish out of the top 4. But that's all it needs to be. You can be disappointed but still recognise the great progress that's been made over the last 2 years and i hope that how all the supporters will see it. And if that happens Brendan and the players can use that disappointment to drive them on again.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1066 on: February 9, 2014, 07:25:02 pm »
I can't see United catching us now, not with a demoralizing 2 points dropped like that.

I'm going to hope United beat Arsenal on Wednesday, which should hopefully see us go within 2 points of Ar5ena1, and spark a crisis at the Emirates

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: February 9, 2014, 07:25:11 pm »
If I wasn't a liverpool fan I'd say we were nailed on for it -it's only my negative subjectivity that makes me full of doubt
We're just playing at a way higher level than all the other contenders and we still have players to come back and our closest rival to play at home

The reality is the others are going to drop points pretty consistently - they're just not good enough to bang out a long run of wins.

Oh and don't underestimate how much the Europa league games will damage Spurs
Spurs won't be over-committing in UEFA.

I do agree with you, it's only the fact that I am a Liverpool fan that makes me more cautious about our position.

We are playing the best of all the contenders by a mile. We are more than a win clear of Spurs who have to come to Anfield as well as go to Chelsea where they won't be winning.

To make sure we need to be cleaning up our defending away from home as we will face some pressure at some of these relegation threatened sides at their places but we have the quality to score everywhere.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1068 on: February 9, 2014, 07:28:06 pm »

I do agree with you, it's only the fact that I am a Liverpool fan that makes me more cautious about our position.

We are playing the best of all the contenders by a mile. We are more than a win clear of Spurs who have to come to Anfield as well as go to Chelsea where they won't be winning.

To make sure we need to be cleaning up our defending away from home as we will face some pressure at some of these relegation threatened sides at their places but we have the quality to score everywhere.

I'm more worried about Chelsea being 6 points ahead of us right now than United 9 points behind us. Spurs only had 1 shot on target and have been awful this season, theres no way they can catch us

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: February 9, 2014, 07:31:56 pm »

Fulham away wednesday, nothing more to consider really at this stage.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1070 on: February 9, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »
I'm more worried about Chelsea being 6 points ahead of us right now than United 9 points behind us. Spurs only had 1 shot on target and have been awful this season, theres no way they can catch us

I think this is it in a nutshell. Let's look up and not down. Chelsea and City have both got to play us at home. Win those (big ask I accept) and we can look to try and win the league. Why not. Stranger things have happened. With us it is about keeping our front 3 or 4 fit together with gerrard who is really taking to the new role with a tactical discipline I can honestly say I never thought I would see. Just need to wrap everyone up after each game. Loving this season for so many different reasons.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: February 9, 2014, 07:35:10 pm »
Always better to chase than be chased and whereas had United won today we might have wanted an Arsenal win on Wednesday I would now very much like United to get a point and bring Arsenal into the equation.

The thing with Spurs is that they have been battered a few times and bounced back. Our Goal difference is 30 better than theirs and yet we are only 3 points clear. They are the big danger.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: February 9, 2014, 07:35:26 pm »
I think this is it in a nutshell. Let's look up and not down. Chelsea and City have both got to play us at home. Win those (big ask I accept) and we can look to try and win the league. Why not. Stranger things have happened. With us it is about keeping our front 3 or 4 fit together with gerrard who is really taking to the new role with a tactical discipline I can honestly say I never thought I would see. Just need to wrap everyone up after each game. Loving this season for so many different reasons.

I agree that Mourinho would never allow something like yesterday happen. He's way too savvy to let us get off to a flying start. City I fancy ourselves though. If we can replicate our ferocious selves against City, we can grab a few goals against them.

Whatever the case is now, teams will fear coming to Anfield after that Arsenal win.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #1073 on: February 9, 2014, 07:38:56 pm »
I can't see United catching us now, not with a demoralizing 2 points dropped like that.

I'm going to hope United beat Arsenal on Wednesday, which should hopefully see us go within 2 points of Ar5ena1, and spark a crisis at the Emirates

Assuming we beat Fulham

Only twice this season have we followed up a home win with an immediate 3 points won on the road. Villa away after Stoke at home & Spurs after West Ham.

Let's put an end once and for all on Wednesday night to this 'topsy turvey , anyone can beat anyone this season' business that the media are loving. We can control this game from the start and have it sewn up by half time
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1074 on: February 9, 2014, 07:39:48 pm »
I agree that Mourinho would never allow something like yesterday happen. He's way too savvy to let us get off to a flying start. City I fancy ourselves though. If we can replicate our ferocious selves against City, we can grab a few goals against them.

Hate mourinho but respect him as a manager - you are spot on but with a little luck then we can really put a run together. City just seem to have derailed a little. The scrap at the bottom of the table will mean this season still has plenty of twists and turns to go. I can't remember such an unpredictable season. That said, we should comfortably finish top 4. It's whether we can finish in those first couple of places that should be the discussion. Oh yeah, and everyone asking for a utd win on wednesday I would much rather a draw whilst we smash fulham and carry on increasing the goal difference. This weekend has been the watershed moment for us this season. Can't overestimate the affect of smashing the league leaders on the psychology for all our players and also the teams around us

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: February 9, 2014, 07:40:55 pm »
I agree that Mourinho would never allow something like yesterday happen. He's way too savvy to let us get off to a flying start.
He wasn't too savvy in May 2005 to stop our flying start nor was he the last time we played when we scored in seconds.

If we play like that we will beat any side. Obviously the 2 set piece goals wrecked Arsenal but we were brilliant.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: February 9, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »
Always better to chase than be chased and whereas had United won today we might have wanted an Arsenal win on Wednesday I would now very much like United to get a point and bring Arsenal into the equation.

The thing with Spurs is that they have been battered a few times and bounced back. Our Goal difference is 30 better than theirs and yet we are only 3 points clear. They are the big danger.
yeah, we can't look past that as well as the fact that we have had our usual slip ups against the likes of Hull and Aston Villa. It is annoying that they're so close while playing so badly but honestly, I refuse to believe that Sherwood has it in him to carry spurs to top 4 in only half a season. Arsenal's fixture list means we should be aiming to overtake them anyway, which we could easily do. After that, whether we have it in us to go beyond that, we'll just have to wait and see.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: February 9, 2014, 07:50:58 pm »
2nd Half of Season (18 points on offer)

Chelsea - 16
Liverpool - 14
Man City - 13
Arsenal - 13
Spurs - 13
Everton - 8
Man U - 7

Our form is superb and while it remains below that needed for winning the title, all we need is for one of the teams above us to slip up a little and we can snatch 3rd. Spurs are the only challengers to us in terms of form.  13 games left.  I believe this is what they call the 'business end of the season'.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1078 on: February 9, 2014, 07:54:00 pm »
yeah, we can't look past that as well as the fact that we have had our usual slip ups against the likes of Hull and Aston Villa. It is annoying that they're so close while playing so badly but honestly, I refuse to believe that Sherwood has it in him to carry spurs to top 4 in only half a season. Arsenal's fixture list means we should be aiming to overtake them anyway, which we could easily do. After that, whether we have it in us to go beyond that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Spurs play away to Newcastle and Norwich in their next two fixtures, whereas we play Fulham away and Swansea at home. You'd expect us to get more points than them from those fixtures, which would increase the current 3 point distance to them.

We've got to approach Fulham away like a cup final first and foremost, that's the attitude they will have so we need to be assertive from the off.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: February 9, 2014, 08:03:37 pm »
He wasn't too savvy in May 2005 to stop our flying start nor was he the last time we played when we scored in seconds.

If we play like that we will beat any side. Obviously the 2 set piece goals wrecked Arsenal but we were brilliant.

Correct.

Not only that, is he in charge of a better side now than in 2005?  Were we a more potent outfit in 2005 than now?  Answer to both is beyond doubt, no.

If we have to win the match for the League title, I'd be backing us strongly.

Lets see what happens as the CL starts again next week, fixtures load up...    I'm getting quite excited though.  And not just about our chances of finishing top 4.