Author Topic: David Moyes was the manager of Manchester United  (Read 3112296 times)

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: David Moyes is still the manager of Manchester United
« Reply #12840 on: November 30, 2013, 11:10:31 pm »
No, you shouldn't live in the past, but it's you bringing up transfers from 2007, not me. ;)

Since Rodgers has come we've also bought Kagawa and Van Persie, you know, the golden boot winner who spearheaded our title win last season.

You've bought well, but so have we.

So you paid a huge transfer fee and astronomical wages to lure the league's top striker (at the time), aged 29/30, to your club - hardly a genius signing, is it? And a Bundesliga star who never plays in the PL is hardly a great signing.

It hardly compares with the foresight of bringing in the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho for way less than their current value and seeing them blossom into stars.

We made some embarrassing signings between 2009-12 (although you could argue that the Suarez signings makes up for all the bad ones combined), but in the last couple of windows we have shat all over United, don't see how anyone can argue with that. Our hope is that these windows form part of a trend that leave you in our wake. We shall see.

Offline DanishGuy

• A Manc
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12841 on: November 30, 2013, 11:14:55 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/29/wayne-rooney-david-moyes-durabilty

For those in the know about fitness and the like, what do you think about this?

(Playing more and more matches) doesn't really seem to affect him in a way it does others. "
Let PhaseOfPlay spread his words of wisdom again please.

Offline Erics Collar Don't Mata

• always did look ridiculous.
  • Main Stander
  • Not arrogant, just better.
« Reply #12842 on: November 30, 2013, 11:16:46 pm »
So you paid a huge transfer fee and astronomical wages to lure the league's top striker (at the time), aged 29/30, to your club - hardly a genius signing, is it? And a Bundesliga star who never plays in the PL is hardly a great signing.

It hardly compares with the foresight of bringing in the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho for way less than their current value and seeing them blossom into stars.

We made some embarrassing signings between 2009-12 (although you could argue that the Suarez signings makes up for all the bad ones combined), but in the last couple of windows we have shat all over United, don't see how anyone can argue with that. Our hope is that these windows form part of a trend that leave you in our wake. We shall see.
So if you signed, say someone like Goetze or Ribery, it would hardly be a great signing because they have not played in the EPL? That theory has been shot years ago and you only have to look at Fellaini with us, he has years of proven experience in the EPL but has found it tough so far (can't judge him yet but that theory of EPL proven is nonsense). You only have to look in your backyard at Suarez to confirm that, he has been great with no previous experience in the EPL.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #12843 on: November 30, 2013, 11:18:26 pm »
Please don't call it the EPL.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12844 on: November 30, 2013, 11:21:16 pm »
So you paid a huge transfer fee and astronomical wages to lure the league's top striker (at the time), aged 29/30, to your club - hardly a genius signing, is it?

To be fair without him they wouldn't have won the title last yr, so on that basis it was a cheap buy.

• Main Stander
« Reply #12845 on: November 30, 2013, 11:23:44 pm »
Also, if you wanted to compare the transfer business of the two clubs. During the EPL era, Liverpool has spent more than United and I would argue that United has been more successful in that period. So mock it all you want but I think it has paid off more often than not for United.

• Main Stander
« Reply #12846 on: November 30, 2013, 11:24:52 pm »
When I am talking specifically of 92 onwards, it's quicker than writing English Premier League.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #12847 on: November 30, 2013, 11:25:52 pm »
To be fair without him they wouldn't have won the title last yr, so on that basis it was a cheap buy.
I serioulsy doubt he was bought for the league.

A last gasp attempt to win the Europena Cup, disregarding the long-term good of squad and club and was more one man's personal journey to win it for him, not them, but him.

I'd never seen him so hurt after the defeat to Madrid last season.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12848 on: November 30, 2013, 11:32:14 pm »
I serioulsy doubt he was bought for the league.

A last gasp attempt to win the Europena Cup, disregarding the long-term good of squad and club and was more one man's personal journey to win it for him, not them, but him.

I'd never seen him so hurt after the defeat to Madrid last season.

Yes you're right Chopper, what was he thinking buying Van Persie? Did Fergie not think of the long term damage this has caused?  :no

I'm glad he's retired now.
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12849 on: November 30, 2013, 11:34:42 pm »

Do me a favour kid, explain why this is such a finger wag on here? When folk talk about the European Cup as the Champions League, i get it....but it's really not the "first division" anymore, why the animosity to using EPL? - genuinely intrigued mate, happy to be educated. Just cannot put it together for myself.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #12850 on: November 30, 2013, 11:48:00 pm »
Do me a favour kid, explain why this is such a finger wag on here?
This is what I think, because English people don't call it that. If you said it down the pub you'd be ridiculed.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #12851 on: November 30, 2013, 11:51:02 pm »
Kids a beast isn't he. That goal he scored against Napoli a couple weeks back. Absolutely buried Pepe. Some talent to let slip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwqXDovXS2A
Terrible first touch followed by a sliced volley

Jammy git

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12852 on: November 30, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »
Do me a favour kid, explain why this is such a finger wag on here? When folk talk about the European Cup as the Champions League, i get it....but it's really not the "first division" anymore, why the animosity to using EPL? - genuinely intrigued mate, happy to be educated. Just cannot put it together for myself.
I think it's because Premier League or PL is fine. The British Queen. The British Parliament. Unneeded foreignism, perhaps.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12853 on: November 30, 2013, 11:53:36 pm »
It's only known as the EPL outside E

87:13

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #12854 on: November 30, 2013, 11:55:08 pm »

Even here in S, we don´t call it that.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12855 on: November 30, 2013, 11:57:29 pm »
E might mean Europe... ;)

87:13

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #12856 on: December 1, 2013, 12:07:50 am »
Mother rang me last night.

'Did you watch Man Utd wednesday?'

'No I didn't.'

'They were brilliant, really good'

'I heard Leverkusen were really bad'

'No, Man Utd were really good, I think I might start following them'

' But but but' I stuttered, 'they are Man Utd and they are managed by
David Moyes'

'ha ha, I know how to wind you up' she said.

At 86 she can still intentionally wind me up. I should have learnt by now

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12857 on: December 1, 2013, 12:12:57 am »
ahhh am with ya, can't say i ever sit on a stool at a pub and ever say 'the english premier league' i just talk about the clubs and players.

Never realised it was such a *thing* but then i don't refer to our league as the 'english premier league'

We just spitting dummies here lads or wha...
« Last Edit: December 1, 2013, 12:14:50 am by Red Genius »
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #12858 on: December 1, 2013, 12:29:47 am »
Doesn't really help that a Manc started it all either. We don't like them apparently.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12859 on: December 1, 2013, 12:33:00 am »
When I am talking specifically of 92 onwards, it's quicker than writing English Premier League.
That's the best unknowingly wrong reply this month mate. You actually think that explains or justifys it when your 35 miles down the road :D

Just as a matter of interest, would pre-92 be FD or EFD?

Offline ar66

• Clueless, cringeworthy, chromium-plated cretin.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #12860 on: December 1, 2013, 12:40:34 am »
I wasn't aware of that. It's inaccurate anyway since Welsh teams are a part and parcel of the PL even if it is described as "English football". I wouldn't worry about foreigners since a lot of them call Britain "England". I have never understood or agreed with separate Scottish and Northern Irish clubs anyway, it should all be British football really. Either we are the same country or we're not. It seems they are having their cake and eating it as well.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2013, 12:42:12 am by ar66 »

Offline Red Genius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12861 on: December 1, 2013, 12:43:49 am »
So.... what this EPL all about? ;)

You bunch of soft twunts...can't believe i just had to ask what that was all about, fucking hell, some folk have far too much time on their hands.

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12862 on: December 1, 2013, 01:34:51 am »
For you folks complaining about it being called the EPL, you need to take your pitchforks and torches to Google. Look what it comes up with when I search for "premier league"  ;)

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12863 on: December 1, 2013, 01:50:23 am »
For you folks complaining about it being called the EPL, you need to take your pitchforks and torches to Google. Look what it comes up with when I search for "premier league"  ;)
In my experience we have never had a problem dropping "E's in the UK. 

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12864 on: December 1, 2013, 01:52:13 am »
Dur mate, if you're on a Liverpool forum the PL is sufficient, honestly.

Offline Red Genius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12865 on: December 1, 2013, 02:21:03 am »
Dur mate, if you're on a Liverpool forum the PL is sufficient, honestly.

John mate i love you... but for fucks sake, we're really all squabbling over a letter? only on a bastard forum... who really gives a shit? We've all far more important things to give a damn about.

The PL, EPL...first division... what the fuck ever, we all know what we're talking about for crying out loud.

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #12866 on: December 1, 2013, 02:23:24 am »
The only important thing to know is that DM is the MGR of MUFC.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Red Genius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12867 on: December 1, 2013, 02:31:06 am »
The only important thing to know is that DM is the MGR of MUFC.

Hush *PoP* ;)

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

• Main Stander
« Reply #12868 on: December 1, 2013, 05:08:55 am »
Apologies for upsetting people over a letter.

My point was, if you are going to compare the two clubs transfer business since the revamp of the Premier League, you can mock how bad we have spent over the years all you want but we have spent less than Liverpool and I would say that we have had more success in that time.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12869 on: December 1, 2013, 05:31:17 am »
It's hardly necessary to point out to Liverpool fans how utterly average our transfer record has been in the last 20-odd years.  Mostly because we had average (or worse, on a couple of occasions) managers in charge of said transfers.  On the odd chance that we did have a quality manager in charge, we had atrocious ownership decimating any possibility of success.

This thread is more about how your transfer record is going to look in the future, now that you're the one with an average manager in charge of them.  So far ... well, it doesn't look good.  :wave
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #12870 on: December 1, 2013, 05:34:55 am »
It's hardly necessary to point out to Liverpool fans how utterly average our transfer record has been in the last 20-odd years.  Mostly because we had average (or worse, on a couple of occasions) managers in charge of said transfers.  On the odd chance that we did have a quality manager in charge, we had atrocious ownership decimating any possibility of success.

This thread is more about how your transfer record is going to look in the future, now that you're the one with an average manager in charge of them.  So far ... well, it doesn't look good.  :wave

We've had 7 managers since the start of the Premier League. Which ones exactly were average and below average?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #12871 on: December 1, 2013, 05:40:58 am »
We've had 7 managers since the start of the Premier League. Which ones exactly were average and below average?

Souness and Roy were below average. Ged, Rafa, and Kenny were above average. Rodgers I like but time will tell. Roy Evans was boss, I loved him.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12872 on: December 1, 2013, 06:13:31 am »
Souness and Roy were below average. Ged, Rafa, and Kenny were above average. Rodgers I like but time will tell. Roy Evans was boss, I loved him.

I'd say that's about right.  I don't know if I'd say Kenny was above average in his second stint; I know it's not popular (and there were obviously extenuating circumstances trying to recover from Roy) but I didn't think he did well at all, especially in the player recruitment area.  Also I think Rafa was better than "above average" but as I mentioned he was contending with ownership issues.  Other than that I'd agree with this.

The point is that for a long time, United were managed by a man who, having been fortunate to see a fantastic group of players come through the academy all at once, was free to spend big on a smaller set of players and if one or two didn't work out, it was fine.  Plus he had a good eye for talent and got the most out of the majority of his players.  Now they're going to see what life is like on the other side of that line with Moyes in charge.  Fellaini for 28 million while publicly failing to bring in a number of high-profile players is just the tip of the iceberg; it will only get worse for them IMO.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #12873 on: December 1, 2013, 06:19:20 am »
David Moys is still the managr of Manchstr Unitd.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #12874 on: December 1, 2013, 06:38:27 am »
They already goofed like this with Fellaini? Paid £5m more for him than they needed to by not exercising the buyout clause.

Agree about the over-paying except that it's not the same case. Fellaini wasn't an existing United player.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #12875 on: December 1, 2013, 07:17:17 am »
They'll beat spurs, they always do. Or atleast it feels like they always do, they can also score goals unlike tottenham.
They always beat Spurs :(
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #12876 on: December 1, 2013, 07:19:14 am »
Roy Evans is BOSS.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #12877 on: December 1, 2013, 09:38:53 am »
They always beat Spurs :(
Except for last season when they won and drew but I see what you're saying  ;) More often than not, they crumble like Arsenal and I think the Mancs will win today but hoping that Moyes can fuck things up in his own special way.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #12878 on: December 1, 2013, 09:58:58 am »
Just a quick one with regards to the use of EPL, for me it represents all that's shite with modern football and modern fans, too American and too Sky.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12879 on: December 1, 2013, 10:00:00 am »
David Moys is still the managr of Manchstr Unitd.

If you were intentionally dropping all the E's then you fucked up :P
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A