Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 949227 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium
« Reply #15720 on: September 13, 2021, 03:44:13 pm »
Surprisingly not that rare. Swiatek won the French last year and that was her first title.

Yep. 

All these facts are spoiling the hype  ;)

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15721 on: September 13, 2021, 03:46:53 pm »
Yep. 

All these facts are spoiling the hype  ;)
Still incredible. Do think it is less so for women than men as women tend to develop earlier and so the winners of grand slams tend to be younger.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15722 on: September 13, 2021, 04:06:32 pm »
It is similar but not quite the same as this is Radacanu's first-ever singles title. That must be a first?

Trust me, at the time Becker's title was a bigger achivement given the competiton, his age and nationality. I'd argue even by today's standards it is a greater achivement.

He was the youngest ever male Grand Slam singles champion at 17 years, 227 days

I've very pleased for Emma, it was a fantastic final and she throughly deserved her victory and I hope she wins loads more but I can't help thinking that we wouldn't be having these 'best ever' conversations if she wasn't British. The British sports media is hardly known for being balanced, just look at how the average England football team is hyped up. 
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15723 on: September 13, 2021, 04:11:30 pm »
For those who follow her closely, can we say she will be in this stage many years to come? I jist don't want Raducanu to be like Ostapenko, Sloane Stephens etc the ones that gets a grand slam and disappear. Although her game has rare weaknesses, she is great at some things and good at some others compared to many others that we may call flash in the pan.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #15724 on: September 13, 2021, 04:43:20 pm »
Trust me, at the time Becker's title was a bigger achivement given the competiton, his age and nationality. I'd argue even by today's standards it is a greater achivement.

I've very pleased for Emma, it was a fantastic final and she throughly deserved her victory and I hope she wins loads more but I can't help thinking that we wouldn't be having these 'best ever' conversations if she wasn't British. The British sports media is hardly known for being balanced, just look at how the average England football team is hyped up.
Not to take anything away from Emma, but a year ago a low ranked 19 old Iga Swiatek won the Roland Garros without dropping a set, beating way better competition on her way there, but Emma's title is the most unprecedented sporting achievement ever. Yes, Iga was a little more established on the circuit, but here run there was every bit as impressive as what Emma did, maybe even more so when you consider how she dominated the #2 ranked and former RG champion Halep. I can't imagine the level of hype she would have got if she was English and not Polish.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:47:22 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15725 on: September 13, 2021, 08:45:28 pm »

Apparently, she's going to be an all-time-great who will win 10 or more Grand Slams.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:57:03 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15726 on: September 13, 2021, 09:15:47 pm »
Not to take anything away from Emma, but a year ago a low ranked 19 old Iga Swiatek won the Roland Garros without dropping a set, beating way better competition on her way there, but Emma's title is the most unprecedented sporting achievement ever. Yes, Iga was a little more established on the circuit, but here run there was every bit as impressive as what Emma did, maybe even more so when you consider how she dominated the #2 ranked and former RG champion Halep. I can't imagine the level of hype she would have got if she was English and not Polish.

Apparently, she's going to be an all-time-great who will win 10 or more Grand Slams.

Yeah, Swiatek's run in the French Open was terrific, thought she should have beaten Bencic in their match in this tournament, which meant she would have played Raducanu in the next round.

Thought Swiatek would have won another Grand Slam as well but I don't think she's been close since (?). Which is kind of the way women's tennis is at the moment, no one's really been consistent in getting to finals, Osaka aside. So yeah, who knows what's going to happen, Raducanu looks like she can be up there competing and hope she does but it's no gimme.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #15727 on: September 14, 2021, 01:05:05 am »
Only time will tell I guess as to where she goes from here in the tennis pantheon. Hopefully the trajectory will continue on its upward path as the ingredients are all in place in every aspect.

But whatever happens I still maintain we’ve not seen owt like it before. The accompanying hype which many struggle with is simply inevitable when you get zero to hero, obscurity to supernova in little more than 48 hours.

What took place and the manner in which it was accomplished in what was for 99% of those witnessing it a relatively minuscule time period is just absurd and no amount of churlish naysaying has come up with any fairy tale remotely approaching it either on here or elsewhere.

Fact is for most folks without some degree of miserabilist axe to grind it was simply incredible to witness the events of that 48 hour period. As one guy said the ultimate grandiose aim of sport is to amaze and inspire and boy oh boy did Radacanu do just that - with a little bit of help from the little Canuck gem too of course.

:)

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15728 on: September 14, 2021, 01:08:38 am »
I'm not really too much into tennis, but my God this guy Medvedev was a beast in the final.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15729 on: September 14, 2021, 04:48:00 pm »
Surprisingly not that rare. Swiatek won the French last year and that was her first title.

Did Swiatek have to qualify for it though? I think that's the most amazing thing about Emma, it's come from absolutely nowhere.

It seems like Kloppo is a fan too. From his press conference.

On whether he watched Emma Raducanu’s US Open tennis triumph…

I watched the game, the final, and it was absolutely impressive. It’s long ago that I watched a full tennis game, it’s long ago that I watched a full women’s tennis game, and I was really impressed by the power and the speed and the whole game. I think women’s tennis is obviously in a brilliant moment. These two girls were 18 and 19 and what they showed was massively impressive during the game and then we watched the interviews and the trophy ceremony as well and both girls, how they spoke, at 18 and 19 – that was inspiring, to be honest, maybe more than the tennis and that was already inspiring enough. But I was absolutely overwhelmed by the way the two girls presented themselves. Fernandez was obviously disappointed losing the game, rightly so, it was a really close game. Emma showed great respect for her. They knew and they hoped they would face each other in the future very often and be in many more finals – I wish that for them as well. It was just a great show of sportsmanship, of elite sport, how humble you can be when you are that young and already on the top of the world, even when it is only for a few hours but they were, obviously. It was really nice. That’s what you can take. About the tennis story I don’t know enough, but when you are 18 years old and able to win the US Open, it’s clear there is one thing that happened in the last 10 or 15 years and that is the hardest work because otherwise it wouldn’t happen. She is for sure a talent of the century but without hardest work, it’s not possible to be there. That she did that, and now she is there in that moment and you see her smiling during the game, that’s just the nicest thing I can imagine. I will watch women’s tennis for sure much more now again, than I did in the last few years.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:50:33 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #15730 on: September 14, 2021, 05:33:40 pm »

It seems like Kloppo is a fan too. From his press conference.

On whether he watched Emma Raducanu’s US Open tennis triumph…

I watched the game, the final... I was absolutely overwhelmed...It was just a great show of elite sport, how humble you can be when you are that young and already on the top of the world....She is for sure a talent of the century

Oh fer fuck sake Jurgen stop going overboard. Leave the fucking hyperboles to the fucking experts like me!!

8)  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15731 on: September 14, 2021, 11:06:29 pm »
Oh fer fuck sake Jurgen stop going overboard. Leave the fucking hyperboles to the fucking experts like me!!

8)  ;D

I thought you’d try harder. 😀
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #15732 on: September 15, 2021, 12:01:05 am »
I thought you’d try harder. 😀

Ha ha. You know me Jill  ;D

Seriously tho I’m delighted Jurgen watched. Probably under orders from Mrs Jurgen  :)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15733 on: September 15, 2021, 02:00:52 pm »
Great to see another Canadian born, Romanian-Chinese British sporting success story.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15734 on: September 15, 2021, 02:45:06 pm »
Great to see another Canadian born, Romanian-Chinese British sporting success story.

What are you trying to get at?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15735 on: September 15, 2021, 02:46:05 pm »
What are you trying to get at?

That it’s a pretty niche combination I think. :D

Unless I’ve missed an obvious other?!

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #15736 on: September 15, 2021, 04:26:21 pm »

French Open woman’s are full of one slam wonders. Istapenko, if anyone remembers her

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #15737 on: September 15, 2021, 04:52:12 pm »

Yeah. Whats happened to all those good old fashioned Ancient Brit, Celt, Anglo, Saxon, Pict, Irish, Viking, Norman, Germanic, Africano tennis heroes of yesteryear?

;D

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15738 on: September 17, 2021, 10:10:26 am »
French Open woman’s are full of one slam wonders. Istapenko, if anyone remembers her
I’d be very surprised if Swiatek is another one slam wonder though (if that is what you implied). She’s won three titles this year I think, and made the second week of every slam. Not quite matched the expectations but she’s still only 20 and has a very well rounded game. I think she’ll win a lot more in the coming years.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15739 on: September 17, 2021, 10:57:02 am »

Yeah its fantastic to see a great example of multi-cultural Britain isn't it?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15740 on: September 17, 2021, 11:56:49 am »
Pretty sure FD is Irish therefore hates anything Britain related.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #15741 on: September 17, 2021, 12:33:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure she's English anyway, she's not been relegated to British yet
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #15742 on: September 17, 2021, 12:34:40 pm »
I’d be very surprised if Swiatek is another one slam wonder though (if that is what you implied). She’s won three titles this year I think, and made the second week of every slam. Not quite matched the expectations but she’s still only 20 and has a very well rounded game. I think she’ll win a lot more in the coming years.

Maybe not Swiatek, still very young. But Ostapenko looks like she couldn’t win a WTA event let alone another slam.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15743 on: September 17, 2021, 01:16:57 pm »
I'm pretty sure she's English anyway, she's not been relegated to British yet

Nope.  Wait until she's been crap for a few years, then she'll be British, then Canadian, Chinese and Romanian  ;)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15744 on: September 22, 2021, 01:52:28 pm »
So Federer won $647k in prize money this year but still managed to earn $90m. Still the highest paid sports person  by about $25m (LBJ).
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15745 on: September 22, 2021, 01:57:02 pm »
So Federer won $647k in prize money this year but still managed to earn $90m. Still the highest paid sports person  by about $25m (LBJ).

He is insanely marketable

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15746 on: September 23, 2021, 12:56:10 pm »
A homecoming event for US Open champion Emma Raducanu will be shown live on the BBC on Friday.

The 18-year-old's historic win in New York this month ended Britain's 44-year wait for a women's Grand Slam title.

I shall be watching this cringefest with full Union Jack outfit on!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15747 on: September 23, 2021, 07:29:57 pm »
Just stupid. I hope to God she doesn't, but if she breaks down mentally in a couple of years they'll be wondering where it went wrong with absolutely no self awareness whatsoever.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15748 on: September 24, 2021, 02:40:47 pm »
Split with her coach.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #15749 on: September 24, 2021, 02:43:51 pm »
Was always the plan, apparently. He’s not keen on the travel and wants to coach his own lad.
AHA!

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15750 on: October 3, 2021, 11:17:34 am »
Vaccines have been made mandatory for Victorian professional sportspeople. No decision made yet by the federal government for international sportspeople, but it's looking more and more likely that the vaccine will be mandated for players at the Aus Open, or at the very least strong quarantine restrictions for those that aren't vaxxed.

It will be very interesting to see what the top players decide to do.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/no-jab-no-play-mandate-may-sink-djokovic-s-grand-slam-dream-20211001-p58wgr.html

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15751 on: October 3, 2021, 04:19:06 pm »
Vaccines have been made mandatory for Victorian professional sportspeople.

WG Grace is said to be fuming.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15752 on: October 3, 2021, 04:24:25 pm »
Indian Wells begins this week. You love to see it.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #15753 on: October 7, 2021, 04:21:59 pm »
I've become a complete Raducanu fanboy!  Totally won over by her fearlessness, aggressive play and great personality!  Will be very interesting to see how she does post US Open.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #15754 on: October 7, 2021, 04:52:36 pm »
I've become a complete Raducanu fanboy!  Totally won over by her fearlessness, aggressive play and great personality!  Will be very interesting to see how she does post US Open.

Yeah I think we all are. I hope she is extremely well managed to cope with the fame coming her way. Her tennis is great, as is her smile and her cultural background could well be designed on a computer to maximise global appeal.

It is amusing to hear people like Tim Henman involved in advising her, when she's about to rocket to a level a Galaxy Far Far and away where he was at in his career!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #15755 on: October 7, 2021, 06:49:47 pm »
Vaccines have been made mandatory for Victorian professional sportspeople. No decision made yet by the federal government for international sportspeople, but it's looking more and more likely that the vaccine will be mandated for players at the Aus Open, or at the very least strong quarantine restrictions for those that aren't A bullshit film by a charlatan who unethically exploited his children's friends and lost his medical license for fraud.

It will be very interesting to see what the top players decide to do.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/no-jab-no-play-mandate-may-sink-djokovic-s-grand-slam-dream-20211001-p58wgr.html
This should be very interesting. I hope the Victorian government sticks to their rules and includes international players playing in their tournaments as well. Vax or no play, pretty simple. Mr 5G and whoever else doesn't like it doesn't have to play.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15756 on: October 8, 2021, 09:35:33 am »
Am amazed Clijsters can still be arsed with this, especially after all the injuries she's had over the years. I guess that's the competitiveness!

This is usually my fav tournament of the year outside of slams but just feels weird at the time of the season where half the tour aren't really bothered and are just waiting for it all to end. Hopefully Raducanu and Muzza win their matches later anyway.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #15757 on: October 8, 2021, 01:31:21 pm »
I genuinely feel pained watching Murray now.  Trying to get back to where he was but its just not working for him.  Part of me wishes he'd just retire and be a figurehead for the youngsters coming through rather than stumble around in the 100's rank-wise being knocked put by the new breed of young things.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #15758 on: October 9, 2021, 03:33:12 am »
Raducanu had an absolute horror show against Sasnovich. Error after error after error, nothing she tried worked. Couldn't buy a decent return or a point behind her second serve. Her body language was negative throughout. Really disappointing display.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15759 on: October 9, 2021, 07:45:33 am »
Raducanu had an absolute horror show against Sasnovich. Error after error after error, nothing she tried worked. Couldn't buy a decent return or a point behind her second serve. Her body language was negative throughout. Really disappointing display.

Before the US Open, she hadn't won a match on tour.  Don't be surprised if it's the first of a few like that.

I remember when Kvitova won her first Wimbledon, she lost the next 10 or so matches.