Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 949216 times)

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
Re: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium
« Reply #15760 on: October 9, 2021, 01:45:53 pm »
Before the US Open, she hadn't won a match on tour.  Don't be surprised if it's the first of a few like that.

I remember when Kvitova won her first Wimbledon, she lost the next 10 or so matches.

Saw the replay and she was really sluggish. She was never going to win the match from the get go. Very uncharacteristic of her to have such a high number of unforced errors and poor first and second serves. Sasnovich played a beautiful game as well so full credit to her opponent.

I find it really strange for her to sack her coach who helped her with winning the US open. 

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15761 on: October 9, 2021, 01:48:54 pm »
Saw the replay and she was really sluggish. She was never going to win the match from the get go. Very uncharacteristic of her to have such a high number of unforced errors and poor first and second serves. Sasnovich played a beautiful game as well so full credit to her opponent.

I find it really strange for her to sack her coach who helped her with winning the US open. 

I don’t think she sacked him. He never intended to be a full time coach touring with her did he? They just went their separate ways which I think was always going to happen and had nothing to do with her US Open win.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15762 on: October 9, 2021, 01:56:08 pm »
She never sacked her coach. Richardson was a last minute, temporary appointment, he wasn’t her coach at Wimbledon, she basically appointed him when she got a wildcard.  He also made it known travelling around the world, away from his family (he coaches his son) wasn’t something he was overly enthusiastic about doing.

They just had different career paths.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15763 on: October 9, 2021, 05:34:06 pm »
Justin Rose after Birkdale…in the end he was more than fine. Hopefully she will be, too

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15764 on: October 9, 2021, 06:59:49 pm »
She never sacked her coach. Richardson was a last minute, temporary appointment, he wasn’t her coach at Wimbledon, she basically appointed him when she got a wildcard.  He also made it known travelling around the world, away from his family (he coaches his son) wasn’t something he was overly enthusiastic about doing.

They just had different career paths.

I got the impression she sacked him because she wanted a coach who is experienced mentoring a player on tour.

Explaining her decision, Radcanu said: “After Wimbledon, I was ranked around 200 in the world. And, at the time I thought Andrew would be a great coach to try and I went to the States. Never did I even dream of winning the US Open and having the run I did, and now I’m ranked 22 in the world which is pretty crazy to me.
“It’s tough to have that conversation with anyone, but I need someone who’s had that professional tour experience, and has been through it, and seen players in my situation for many years, going through the same because it’s going to take a lot.”

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15765 on: October 9, 2021, 07:11:39 pm »
He wasn’t under contract, her coach during wimbledon also wasnt under contract, her career has no real consistency yet, she never sacked anyone, she just tried something different, she’ll probably try something else now. her coaches are basically employed per competition.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15766 on: October 10, 2021, 07:40:44 pm »
I genuinely feel pained watching Murray now.  Trying to get back to where he was but its just not working for him.  Part of me wishes he'd just retire and be a figurehead for the youngsters coming through rather than stumble around in the 100's rank-wise being knocked put by the new breed of young things.

It’s that competitive nature that took him to his achievements. It’s probably hard to switch off. He’ll continue until he can’t. If he stopped now, then in ten years, he’d probably still wonder if he should have carried on. At least, if he tries and fails, then he’ll never have those questions.

I was talking to someone I know yesterday who signed for Man City when he was 14. He decided to play in a school game and shattered his ankle. City paid for a US surgeon to come over, but his professional career was over. However, he kept trying until he was 29, going to Tranmere, Portsmouth etc. He just couldn’t give up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:44:21 pm by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15767 on: October 10, 2021, 11:52:16 pm »
Don’t write Murray off so easily. This old dog still has legs. He is no longer as quick or powerful but he still has the smarts. Now schooling a younger and quicker player using all of his experience.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #15768 on: October 11, 2021, 12:12:09 am »
Don’t write Murray off so easily. This old dog still has legs. He is no longer as quick or powerful but he still has the smarts. Now schooling a younger and quicker player using all of his experience.

Yep, impressive performance from him today against Alcaraz. He's had some good performances and results recently, the challenge for him is stringing them together. He hasn't shown yet that he's still capable of a deep run into a tournament, even at Challenger level.

Promising signs though, it's certainly not time to pack him off the retirement home just yet. As far as I'm concerned he can play on for as long as he feels he's getting something from it, he has nothing to prove to anyone.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #15769 on: October 11, 2021, 11:55:16 am »
Yes played well against Alcaraz but now its Zverev who's a big step up.  Come on Andy!

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #15770 on: October 13, 2021, 01:37:22 am »
Poor Andy, that was a shit way to lose a match. Especially against that prick Zverev

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15771 on: October 14, 2021, 07:43:28 pm »
Cam Norrie just bagelled Schwartzman in the first set of the Indian Wells quarter final :o
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15772 on: October 14, 2021, 08:26:35 pm »
Cam Norrie just bagelled Schwartzman in the first set of the Indian Wells quarter final :o

Won the second 6-2 as well. Impressive! Into the semis.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15773 on: October 14, 2021, 08:27:14 pm »
A hugely impressive 6-0, 6-2 victory for Norrie over Schwartzman to reach the semi finals. That'll be enough to move him into the top 20 in the rankings and to British number one. It was an excellent display from Norrie but Schwartzman's game completely disintegrated.

Dimitrov, who knocked out Medvedev yesterday, or Hurkacz up next for Norrie.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15774 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:57 pm »
Schwartzman was no pushover and this is a hugely impressive win.

Hurkasz or Drmitrov represents a next level competition especially Hurkasz who never look like dropping his serves.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15775 on: October 14, 2021, 11:21:58 pm »
Schwartzman was no pushover and this is a hugely impressive win.

Hurkasz or Drmitrov represents a next level competition especially Hurkasz who never look like dropping his serves.

Well, he doesn't have to worry about Hurkacz :D

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15776 on: October 16, 2021, 12:11:19 am »
Zverev and Tsitsipas have both been knocked out in their quarter finals!

The semi final line-up is Norrie v Dimitrov and Fritz v Basilashvili.

I wouldn't have thought Norrie will ever get a better chance to win a Masters title than this.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15777 on: October 16, 2021, 07:40:38 am »
Zverev and Tsitsipas have both been knocked out in their quarter finals!

The semi final line-up is Norrie v Dimitrov and Fritz v Basilashvili.

I wouldn't have thought Norrie will ever get a better chance to win a Masters title than this.

Just saw that. In fairness the others will be thinking that too. Will Dimitrov’s experience tell here or is it wide open?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15778 on: October 16, 2021, 09:13:15 am »
Just saw that. In fairness the others will be thinking that too. Will Dimitrov’s experience tell here or is it wide open?

Perhaps.  It could also work against him.

Think it's wide open myself - all four will fancy their chances now!  Norrie is on the upward curve though, and has had a great year. 

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15779 on: October 16, 2021, 09:21:16 am »
Basilashvili is such a bizarre player. He either plays extremely well when you don't expect it or gets beat in the first round by a no hoper. He's won a few 500s and has won a couple of good events this season. He pops up at huge prices every so often. Still outsider of the lot but wouldn't be surprised if he wins it now. Bookies have Fritz as favourite now, probably because he is playing the Georgian and they expect him to get to the final.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15780 on: October 16, 2021, 10:13:41 pm »
Norrie takes the first set against Dimitrov 6-2. Norrie's game looks super consistent these days.

Dimitrov on the other hand is either brilliant or awful with not much middle ground...

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #15781 on: October 16, 2021, 11:08:13 pm »
Cracking win.
AHA!

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15782 on: October 16, 2021, 11:09:00 pm »
And that was all she wrote! Norrie completes a 6-2 6-4 win and will play in his first Masters final.

Very impressive display again from Norrie. He'll be favourite on paper whoever he plays in the final, just hope he handles the occasion well.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #15783 on: October 16, 2021, 11:10:57 pm »
Congratulations to Cameron Norrie, 1st GB player to get to a ATP Masters 1000 final since Andy Murray won the 2016 Paris Masters.  He will definitely be the favourite tomorrow against Fritz or Basilashvili

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15784 on: October 16, 2021, 11:16:34 pm »
Amazing. Little bit of luck with how the draw has opened up for him but that’s not his problem. Winning this would be fair reward for a brilliantly consistent season.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15785 on: October 17, 2021, 10:03:57 am »
Basilashvili is such a bizarre player. He either plays extremely well when you don't expect it or gets beat in the first round by a no hoper.
Isn't that half of ATP? ;D

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15786 on: October 17, 2021, 10:08:40 am »
I'm not shocked Norrie is favourite, but I think he's a bit short in the betting. I'd have it closer to 4/5- Evens as opposed to 4/7- 11/8. He's not got a good record in finals as yet, whereas Basilashvili is used to winning. He's done 5 on the bounce.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15787 on: October 17, 2021, 12:25:41 pm »
6 finals for Norrie this year, equalling Djokovic!  Just shows you how good he's been.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15788 on: October 18, 2021, 02:39:16 am »
Cam Norrie is the Indian Wells champion! Absolutely superb result for him that, just reward for a breakthrough season. I was definitely worried for him after the first set but he dug in brilliantly to turn things around. He kept his level consistently high while Basilashvili became increasingly erratic.

That puts him into the top 16 in the rankings and with another good performance or two he could qualify for the tour finals. First Raducanu and now Norrie, out of nowhere the future of British tennis suddenly looks pretty good!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15789 on: October 18, 2021, 06:56:36 am »
Superb! First Brit to win it with Murray, Henman and Rusedski having lost in the final. Don’t recall Henman and Rusedski in it! They used to play this early in the year though didn’t they?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15790 on: October 20, 2021, 07:22:39 am »
Murray beat Tiafoe in Antwerp 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 in a match lasting 3 hours 45 minutes!

Online gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15791 on: October 20, 2021, 08:07:33 am »
Superb! First Brit to win it with Murray, Henman and Rusedski having lost in the final. Don’t recall Henman and Rusedski in it! They used to play this early in the year though didn’t they?

Yes and will do next year.

Only COVID changed the event time.

Played late Feb or early March I think
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #15792 on: October 20, 2021, 09:43:57 am »
Australian government putting the players on notice saying anyone who wants to enter must be double vaccinated. Djokovic and Tsitsipas will be worried now, I hope all the major tournaments follow suit.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/20/no-jab-no-play-how-vaccine-mandates-for-players-will-impact-the-australian-open
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15793 on: October 20, 2021, 01:47:10 pm »
Australian government putting the players on notice saying anyone who wants to enter must be double vaccinated. Djokovic and Tsitsipas will be worried now, I hope all the major tournaments follow suit.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/20/no-jab-no-play-how-vaccine-mandates-for-players-will-impact-the-australian-open
I believe Tsitsipas said he will get it if it's mandated.

It's the right move, there was enough controversy about having special rules for quarantine last year, let alone special rules for sportspeople regards vaccines.

We come out of a 3 month lockdown (and finish as reigning lockdown champions of the world) tomorrow, so I really hope we can have full crowds by January. Going last year was extremely grim with barely anyone there.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #15794 on: October 20, 2021, 02:57:09 pm »
I believe Tsitsipas said he will get it if it's mandated.

It's the right move, there was enough controversy about having special rules for quarantine last year, let alone special rules for sportspeople regards vaccines.

We come out of a 3 month lockdown (and finish as reigning lockdown champions of the world) tomorrow, so I really hope we can have full crowds by January. Going last year was extremely grim with barely anyone there.
I bet both of them would get the vaccine if told they'd have to in order to play. I can't see Djokovic being willing to miss out on the Aus and probably French Opens.

It would be great to see full houses again, empty stadia have been the worst part of watching sport the last 18 months.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15795 on: October 21, 2021, 08:03:20 pm »
Poor Andy Murray just lost to Diego Schwartzman in straight sets. Schwartzman played really well though.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15796 on: October 26, 2021, 07:52:33 pm »
Emma Raducanu has won her first tour level match! She beat Hercog 4-6 7-5 6-1. Nice little milestone for her. She's currently currying some favour with the locals by answering her interview questions in Romanian ;D

She made a great start racing into a 4-1 lead in the first set then fell apart a bit losing 5 straight games. The second set was a real slog where she played nowhere near her best, even facing a break point at 5-5, but she dug in and fought her way through. The third set was much more like the version of Raducanu from the US Open which was great to see.

She looks to have a pretty clear run to the semi finals if she can play well. She's seeded to meet Halep in the semis which would be an intriguing match up.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #15797 on: October 26, 2021, 08:04:41 pm »
Saw Murray beat Hurkacz his first top ten player since his return. Life in the old dog yet
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15798 on: October 26, 2021, 08:16:41 pm »
Saw Murray beat Hurkacz his first top ten player since his return. Life in the old dog yet

Yep, I didn't see it but by all accounts he played well too. He's had some impressive one off results recently but as I said after he beat Alcaraz at Indian Wells the challenge for him is being able to recover well enough to string these results together and make a deeper run at a tournament. The fact he's having to rely on wildcards to get into tournaments at the moment is making this even more difficult. This week in Vienna for example, his potential route to the final after beating Hurkacz would be Alcaraz, Berrettini, Zverev, Tsitsipas. You'd hope beating a top player in the first round would open things up a bit for him but no such luck!

Should add that Norrie had a comfortable win over Fucsovics today - he's in the same half of the draw as Murray so they could meet in the semi finals if both win through. Norrie still has a decent chance of qualifying for the tour finals as well, he's competing with Hurkacz and Sinner for the 8th qualifying spot.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:19:24 pm by TheShanklyGates »

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #15799 on: October 26, 2021, 08:59:57 pm »
Yep, I didn't see it but by all accounts he played well too. He's had some impressive one off results recently but as I said after he beat Alcaraz at Indian Wells the challenge for him is being able to recover well enough to string these results together and make a deeper run at a tournament. The fact he's having to rely on wildcards to get into tournaments at the moment is making this even more difficult. This week in Vienna for example, his potential route to the final after beating Hurkacz would be Alcaraz, Berrettini, Zverev, Tsitsipas. You'd hope beating a top player in the first round would open things up a bit for him but no such luck!

Should add that Norrie had a comfortable win over Fucsovics today - he's in the same half of the draw as Murray so they could meet in the semi finals if both win through. Norrie still has a decent chance of qualifying for the tour finals as well, he's competing with Hurkacz and Sinner for the 8th qualifying spot.
I’ve got a lot of time for Murray. He’d have had many more titles and slams to his name in almost any other era. Really tough for him to do much across a whole tournament after what he’s come back from especially with the recovery time allowed. Happy for him that he can still compete
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp