Author Topic: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield  (Read 487943 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield with added Ayre...
« Reply #1720 on: January 8, 2013, 06:11:45 pm »
How are they separate projects without the Council using public money to buy up properties and demolish them then the Club cannot build a Stadium. Land with planning permission has a value  is it morally right to use public funds to buy and demolish houses that the Council and LCC do not intend to build on but to leave barren so it doesn't affect planning permission for a private Stadium.

Have you been round the area recently? Have you seen the size of the land these houses sit on? It would be pretty hard pushed to put anything on there that would meet the demands of a modern family now and 50 years down the line.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1721 on: January 8, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »
Have you been round the area recently? Have you seen the size of the land these houses sit on? It would be pretty hard pushed to put anything on there that would meet the demands of a modern family now and 50 years down the line.

With the bedroom tax coming in this April the City has a massive surplus of family houses and a paucity of 1 and 2 bedroom accommodation. Is it morally right to demolish houses and leave the footprint empty so a private company can make profits from a private Stadium.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1722 on: January 8, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »
With the bedroom tax coming in this April the City has a massive surplus of family houses and a paucity of 1 and 2 bedroom accommodation. Is it morally right to demolish houses and leave the footprint empty so a private company can make profits from a private Stadium.

It's not just about internal space, there is zero external space. The back basically backs onto the stadium boundary and the front is bang on the road near enough. The houses are in no fit state to just be renovated into 1/2 bedroom properties either.

And it's not just for a private company either. Expansion of the ground provides income for the council. It helps the wider area through both this income and through increased foot fall in the area and local businesses, and also an increase in jobs available locally (both directly and indirectly).

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1723 on: January 8, 2013, 06:48:43 pm »

23,000 people in families on the housing list hardly represents a massive surplus of family houses. There is however a glut of 1 or 2 bed accommodation in expensive high rise apartment blocks in and around the city centre. Take the blinkers off.

As said (many times) these houses have to go - stadium or no stadium - they are too expensive (too big, too derelict) to do up. Even smaller houses in places like Tancred Road had to be subsidised. Most of those were sold for less than the cost of refurbishment (until the housing bubble pushed up the prices - another time, another government).

There is no moral question. It's an issue of practicality and cost. There is no point building houses that people cannot afford.

BTW., the bedroom tax is about unoccupied rooms not necessarily number of rooms.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1724 on: January 8, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »
23,000 people in families on the housing list hardly represents a massive surplus of family houses. There is however a glut of 1 or 2 bed accommodation in expensive high rise apartment blocks in and around the city centre. Take the blinkers off.

As said (many times) these houses have to go - stadium or no stadium - they are too expensive (too big, too derelict) to do up. Even places like Tancred Road had to be subsidised (another time, another government). There is no moral question. It's an issue of practicality and cost. There is no point building houses that people cannot afford.

BTW., the bedroom tax is about unoccupied rooms not necessarily number of rooms.

I am talking about social housing there are thousands of people facing the harsh reality of paying £11 per spare bedroom come April because there simply isn't enough 1 bedroom social housing accommodation in the City.

As for houses being demolished to make way for modern housing I don't have a problem with that but as a tax payer I do object to public funds being used to demolish houses and to leave the land empty so that a private company can make money.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1725 on: January 8, 2013, 06:50:43 pm »
I am talking about social housing there are thousands of people facing the harsh reality of paying £11 per spare bedroom come April because there simply isn't enough 1 bedroom social housing accommodation in the City.

As for houses being demolished to make way for modern housing I don't have a problem with that but as a tax payer I do object to public funds being used to demolish houses and to leave the land empty so that a private company can make money.

You're not really listening are you...? The houses have to go anyway - stadium or no stadium.

(and you can't make them into one bedroom flats either - these are three storey houses, plus a basement - and of course, one bedroom flats are the most expensive to build per bedroom. One kitchen per bedroom, One bathroom per bedroom. One everything per bedroom)

« Last Edit: January 8, 2013, 06:56:56 pm by Peter McGurk »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1726 on: January 8, 2013, 06:56:02 pm »
You're not really listening are you...? The houses have to go anyway - stadium or no stadium.

I am specifically talking about the houses and flats that could be built if Liverpool do not extend but have to be left barren if Liverpool do extend.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1727 on: January 8, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »
I am specifically talking about the houses and flats that could be built if Liverpool do not extend but have to be left barren if Liverpool do extend.

If the houses cannot be refurbished at an affordable cost, they certainly can't be re-built new at an affordable cost.

Noticed any empty green patches with a nice timber rail around, around Liverpool at all?!! The only affordable housing right now is family-sized refurbishments of smaller properties that are in not too bad condition. No moral judgements. Just the way it is.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2013, 07:04:44 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1728 on: January 8, 2013, 06:59:21 pm »

Because who is willing to build them for the cost it would take? There is more than enough land around the area to develop into a whole load of different sized housing and commercial uses.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1729 on: January 8, 2013, 07:27:36 pm »
If the houses cannot be refurbished at an affordable cost, they certainly can't be re-built new at an affordable cost.

Noticed any empty green patches with a nice timber rail around, around Liverpool at all?!! The only affordable housing right now is family-sized refurbishments of smaller properties that are in not too bad condition. No moral judgements. Just the way it is.

Then why is our partner Mayor Joe promising 5000 new houses in the next 4 years.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1730 on: January 8, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »
Then why is our partner Mayor Joe promising 5000 new houses in the next 4 years.

Because open land is available all around Anfield already. Seriously have you taken a walk around there recently?

The land the houses behind the Main Stand sit on is tiny. It's a thin stretch of land sandwiched between land LFC own (car park behind the stand) and Lothair Rd. Building new there isn't really much of an option. Renovating what is there isn't really much of an option. Having it as open land is one option, and is an option which will not only benefit the wider area through increase income to LCC (via a lease) but also via increase footfall and job opportunities via an expanded Anfield.

If the stadium was there or not the houses need to be demolished due to state they are currently in.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1731 on: January 8, 2013, 07:50:29 pm »
I think if you look at the plans (there were 3 options) you will see some houses nowhere near Anfield are set to be demolished because of the state of those houses. The same goes for the houses we are talking about.In fact one of the options even wanted more houses destroyed, but they didnt go with that one it seems and went with one that changes some of the houses from residential to business.

So houses have to go regardless due to their dire state. One option enables LFC to expand their stadium and pay a lease, one does not and gets no money in.

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #1732 on: January 8, 2013, 07:54:32 pm »
Ok been told today on good authority that work will begin as soon as end of may on the new main stand,the houses behind will be first to go.A 3 tier main stand with exec boxes then once this is done the annieroad will follow suit.
But the biggest thing is that work will start in may
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: January 8, 2013, 07:57:35 pm »
Ok been told today on good authority that work will begin as soon as end of may on the new main stand,the houses behind will be first to go.A 3 tier main stand with exec boxes then once this is done the annieroad will follow suit.

Excited and hope it is officially announced? Wonder how many seats (and more relavant revenue) is expected to be added at each stage.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1734 on: January 8, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »

Are we playing Man City in May?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1735 on: January 8, 2013, 08:21:52 pm »

While I'd love to believe it, what scheme is going to be built? There's no planning application been made yet as far as I'm aware (it would be public knowledge) and for something that sensitive you'd expect at least three months planning, which would mean no approval before mid April. And the houses haven't been bought yet.

Could you ask your mate to comment?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: January 8, 2013, 08:26:40 pm »
Are we playing Man City in May?
He's got some stuff right more recently.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1737 on: January 8, 2013, 08:29:50 pm »

Is May in 2 weeks?

Not sure how this would be possible given no plans have been submitted yet.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: January 8, 2013, 08:45:31 pm »
While I'd love to believe it, what scheme is going to be built? There's no planning application been made yet as far as I'm aware (it would be public knowledge) and for something that sensitive you'd expect at least three months planning, which would mean no approval before mid April. And the houses haven't been bought yet.

Could you ask your mate to comment?

So if the approval is received in April, that means it can start in May :P.

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #1739 on: January 8, 2013, 08:46:15 pm »
Is May in 2 weeks?

Not sure how this would be possible given no plans have been submitted yet.

Wait and see my good friend good things and all that as always I post what im told
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1740 on: January 8, 2013, 08:52:24 pm »
Wait and see my good friend good things and all that as always I post what im told

A planning application would be public, so there definitely isn't one.

As yet I'm not even sure the council has reached agreements with the residents in the 5 or so houses they need to purchase on Lothair (fairly certain they haven't on at least one unless has happened over Xmas).

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1741 on: January 8, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »

:lmao

Like the last time you said there would be an announce,ent before the city game?

Which decade?

:lmao

Your information is less reliable than a russian sports car
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1742 on: January 8, 2013, 10:03:32 pm »
So if the approval is received in April, that means it can start in May :P.

It's possible but would be highly risky to appoint a contractor to start in May without being sure you've got planning approval. And the land purchases aren't done yet.

Who are the architects? Who are the rest of the professional team? Who is the contractor? When is the planning application going in? Simple questions really - if this is about to start on site someone must know.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1743 on: January 8, 2013, 10:05:06 pm »

And three tiers? Really?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1744 on: January 8, 2013, 10:22:44 pm »

He hasn't. 5000 homes - not 5000 new houses.

5000 new houses at what? 80k? Divide by four years. You do the maths.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 07:38:41 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1745 on: January 8, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »

You might only repeat what you're told but it seems you're often told utter cock. Major stadium work is not starting in May.

Have you forgotten this already? (well, it was last October...)  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19935925

« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 01:52:27 pm by Peter McGurk »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1746 on: January 9, 2013, 10:00:34 am »
He hasn't. 5000 homes - not 5000 new houses.

5000 new houses at what? 80k? Divide by four years. You do the maths.

We will build 5,000 new homes in Liverpool during the next four years.

http://www.joeforliverpool.com/policies/housing.asp
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: January 9, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »
We will build 5,000 new homes in Liverpool during the next four years.

http://www.joeforliverpool.com/policies/housing.asp

Joe said: "Liverpool needs new homes. We need to build new houses, and we need to refurbish old ones."

The population in 1938 was double what it is now (about 850,000 then). I think we'll squeeze 5000 new homes (refurbished or new) on the vast tracts of run-down houses, bombsites (still), cleared areas and other brownfield land in the city.

« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 01:42:13 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1748 on: January 9, 2013, 01:31:28 pm »
An interesting comment from Hogan (http://www.sportspromedia.com/notes_and_insights/mersey_tide/)

'There are opportunities for partners to participate with the club that frankly wouldn't exist if you went to a new stadium. I think being part of helping the team stay at Anfield, if you will, is a great opportunity for partners to be involved with the club.'

So from that I think we can presume sponsorship will in some way be involved in funding the expansion.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1749 on: January 9, 2013, 01:39:34 pm »
An interesting comment from Hogan (http://www.sportspromedia.com/notes_and_insights/mersey_tide/)

'There are opportunities for partners to participate with the club that frankly wouldn't exist if you went to a new stadium. I think being part of helping the team stay at Anfield, if you will, is a great opportunity for partners to be involved with the club.'

So from that I think we can presume sponsorship will in some way be involved in funding the expansion.

Getting people to buy into the 'Anfield brand' was always a much better option for the club. Strengthens our brand. Strengthens theirs. Anfield is a very successful and established brand around the world and a popular tourist attraction to the city (fourth most popular?). I imagine that's why JWH brought it up.

We give little up. We gain a lot.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 01:51:35 pm by Peter McGurk »

royhendo

« Reply #1750 on: January 9, 2013, 07:07:09 pm »
I was looking for your blog series on redevelopment today Peter but couldn't find it anywhere - could you post a link dude?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1752 on: January 9, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »
I was looking for your blog series on redevelopment today Peter but couldn't find it anywhere - could you post a link dude?

Since you asked so nicely... see below (yes, I fixed it)
« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 08:08:24 pm by Peter McGurk »

royhendo

« Reply #1753 on: January 9, 2013, 10:13:58 pm »
Magic - ta mate :)

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1754 on: January 11, 2013, 09:48:07 pm »
Getting people to buy into the 'Anfield brand' was always a much better option for the club. Strengthens our brand. Strengthens theirs. Anfield is a very successful and established brand around the world and a popular tourist attraction to the city (fourth most popular?). I imagine that's why JWH brought it up.

We give little up. We gain a lot.[/ b]

Peter, you won't be saying that when you're sitting on the "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" Kop   :)

Just giving what bit of info I've got here for everyone. At this moment in time as far as my mate's aware, none of the owners of Lothair Road have come to agreement over prices. They've only had the one valuation which everyone was unhappy with, given the prices of similar sized houses in Rockfield and Arkles Lane that are up for sale at the moment. So they're currently negotiating the values. At least one resident has said that he won't sell at any price because he thinks that he can hold the club to ransom. But he'll end up a big loser from the sound of things if he plays that particular card because all parties are confident of getting CP's as a final solution. As for my mate, he's happy to sell at a price a bit higher than what they've offered, because they've been told that the state of the roads won't be taken into consideration for valuation purposes. If they start building in May though, I'll eat my hat.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1755 on: January 11, 2013, 09:53:12 pm »
Cheers for the info!

royhendo

« Reply #1756 on: January 12, 2013, 07:46:40 am »
Yeah, ta indeed mate. :)

Would the club be able to do any quiet prep work during the delay Architect dudes? That's an assumption I'm making in my head.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #1757 on: January 12, 2013, 08:33:09 am »
And three tiers? Really?

I was expecting three tiers.  I guess it will be the Arsenal arrangement

Plebs
      c*nts
Plebs
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1758 on: January 12, 2013, 04:49:05 pm »
I was expecting three tiers.  I guess it will be the Arsenal arrangement

Plebs
      c*nts
Plebs

;D
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline JG

• Main Stander
Re: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield
« Reply #1759 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:04 pm »
Mate of mine's brother involved with the re-development, said something about the extension of the Anfield Road stand, sounds like some crazy shit, bringing it back really far and building a tunnel over the Anfield Road.

60,000 seater Anfield is going to be incredible though, can't wait