Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 319340 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #600 on: June 11, 2013, 03:01:37 pm »
Chris Hadfield has announced his retirement from the Canadian Space Agency today

“I’m making good on a promise I made my wife nearly 30 years ago — that yes, eventually, we would be moving back to Canada,” said Hadfield.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:00 pm »
An interesting Mars article from the Beeb.  Quite long, so I'll just post a chunk of it:

Dr Francis McCubbin, from the University of New Mexico, who was not involved with the Nature study, told BBC News: "I did not reach the conclusion that their results imply an early oxygen-rich atmosphere on Mars, only that the upper mantle was more oxidised than the deep interior, which does not actually require any oxygen gas to accomplish."

"I agree with the overarching conclusions of this work that there are substantial redox gradients with depth on Mars, and this could be potentially very important for Mars' habitability because some organisms can take advantage of redox (reduction-oxidation) reactions and use them as an energy/food source.

He added: "Although not implicitly stated, the early oxidized magmatism would also favour the production of water, another ingredient that is key to habitability."

On alternative possibilities to atmospheric oxygen, Prof Wood told BBC News: "One is that Mars was an initially oxidised planet - that's pretty unlikely. There aren't any meteorites or other bodies in the Solar System that show this high state of oxidation.

"You don't need a lot of oxygen to cause this - you don't need to be at 20% concentration. It would depend on temperature and how much water was around. But you need free oxygen to do it.

"And the process didn't take place to any great extent on Earth at that time - which is interesting."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22961729
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: June 25, 2013, 01:20:27 pm »
Anybody see "The secret life of the sun" the other day?  Still on iPlayer and there's torrents for it too.  Well worth a watch!

Popcorn's Art

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: June 25, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »

Found! 3 Super-Earth Planets That Could Support Alien Life

The habitable zone of a nearby star is filled to the brim with planets that could support alien life, scientists announced today (June 25).

An international team of scientists found a record-breaking three potentially habitable planets around the star Gliese 667C, a star 22 light-years from Earth that is orbited by at least six planets, and possibly as many as seven, researchers said. The three planet contenders for alien life are in the star's "habitable zone" — the temperature region around the star where liquid water could exist. Gliese 667C is part of a three-star system, so the planets could see three suns in their daytime skies.

The three potentially rocky planets in Gliese 667C's habitable zone are known as super-Earths — exoplanets that are less massive than Neptune but more massive than Earth. Their orbits make them possible candidates for hosting life, officials from the European Southern Observatory said in a statement.

http://www.space.com/21706-habitable-alien-planets-gliese-667c.html

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: June 25, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »
I wonder if there's a maximum size for a rocky planet?  I mean some of those worlds are almost as big as Neptune; their surface gravity must be enormous.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: June 27, 2013, 05:26:50 pm »
I wonder if there's a maximum size for a rocky planet?  I mean some of those worlds are almost as big as Neptune; their surface gravity must be enormous.

I saw an article that claimed a planet 14 times the size of the earth would, depending on the size of the metal core, usually have a gravity field so strong that normal chemistry would be impossible and would consist of layers of elements rather than compounds usually associated with rocks etc.

Planets not much bigger would have gravity fields so strong that helium and hydrogen cannot escape and would therefore become gas giants.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:47:25 pm by leftfooter »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: June 27, 2013, 06:28:13 pm »
Wonder if we'll ever send a probe to one of these planets.

Probably be long gone before they got there but be interesting to know if it could be done.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #607 on: June 27, 2013, 09:52:05 pm »
Wonder if we'll ever send a probe to one of these planets.

Probably be long gone before they got there but be interesting to know if it could be done.

It could be done but it would be pretty much pointless given that by the time it reaches its destination we would either all be dead or have already developed the ability to travel around our galaxy. Would be like pre-Colombian Europeans sending someone westward to look for a passage to Asia only the person wouldn't return for 500 years

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #609 on: July 24, 2013, 11:07:22 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23419543

Nasa has released photos of the Earth and Moon taken by a spacecraft orbiting Saturn - nearly a billion miles away.

Our planet and its only satellite appear only as dots in the picture, which was taken by the Cassini spacecraft on 19 July.

Scientists wanted to pay homage to the "Pale Blue Dot" image captured by the Voyager 1 probe in 1990.

This was the first time people knew in advance that their long distance picture was being taken.

As part of the event launched by Nasa, people were asked to wave in what Carolyn Porco, who leads Cassini's camera team, described as an "interplanetary cosmic photo session".

"It thrills me no end that people all over the world took a break from their normal activities to go outside and celebrate the interplanetary salute between robot and maker that these images represent," said Dr Porco, from the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colorado.

The wide-angle image is part of a larger mosaic - or multi-image portrait - that imaging scientists are putting together of the entire Saturn system.

Pictures of Earth from the outer Solar System are rare because, from that distance, Earth is very close to the bright Sun.

Just as a person can damage their retina by looking directly at the Sun, a camera's sensitive detectors can be damaged by the bright rays.

These images were taken when the sun had moved behind the planet Saturn from the spacecraft's point of view, blocking out most of the light.

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #610 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »
Another Brian May interview.  He's such a great guy!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XBm1Qfpa_nY&amp;NR=1&amp;feature=fvwp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XBm1Qfpa_nY&amp;NR=1&amp;feature=fvwp</a>

Thanks for that mate, great interview. Doesn't need saying but he is a very intelligent man.
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #611 on: July 25, 2013, 01:07:38 pm »
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: July 29, 2013, 01:42:02 pm »
This latest image from New Horizons resolves Pluto and Charon separately for the first time:

Closest approach is now a shade under two years' away.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #613 on: August 9, 2013, 09:32:41 am »
Saw the space station pass over last night!
http://www.meteorwatch.org/uk-iss-passes-august-2013.html
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #614 on: August 11, 2013, 07:31:32 pm »
Perseids due tonight and tomorrow night.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: August 12, 2013, 11:16:56 am »
Clear skies in much of the UK. Except Northern Ireland. Fucking hate this country
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #616 on: August 12, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »
Perseids due tonight and tomorrow night.

Saw a few last night, hope the weather is a bit better later as it was pretty cloudy last night.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #617 on: August 12, 2013, 11:24:31 pm »
Managed to get about 30 minutes viewing before the clouds swept over down here tonight.
Quite a few spotted though most quite faint with short transits, but I saw a couple of impressive firebally type ones with trails that remained visible for a few seconds afterwards.
Had a bonus just after 11PM of a very good view of the ISS ambling over.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #618 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:02 pm »
Still seems pretty cloudy around here, which is a shame. Was going to go for a little drive somewhere quiet ( no idea where! ) to get a little look but it'll probably be futile.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #619 on: August 13, 2013, 01:39:51 am »
Just got in after sitting outside with the the youngest for about an hour and half and saw about 20 of them. Some absolute cracking tails on a few of them.

Thank you very much mother nature and your whole existence/cosmos and the number 42, family.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #620 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:50 am »
Just woke up and went outside for 20 minutes as the sky has now cleared down here below Exmoor.
It's a cracking show just at the moment.
There's at least 1 every minute visible streaking across the heavens into oblivion, some of them really good.
I've found the best area of the sky from here to concentrate on is looking in a generally south westerly direction along the path of the Milky Way which should be right above your head (and which is stunning at the moment) and with the Plough over to your right. Most, though not all, seem to be falling along that direction.
Enjoy it, it's a free show.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: August 13, 2013, 10:36:08 pm »
It's disappointingly cloudy here in Liverpool now, one or two breaks but not sufficient to get a good view. Shite.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: August 13, 2013, 10:52:51 pm »
Just woke up and went outside for 20 minutes as the sky has now cleared down here below Exmoor.
It's a cracking show just at the moment.
There's at least 1 every minute visible streaking across the heavens into oblivion, some of them really good.
I've found the best area of the sky from here to concentrate on is looking in a generally south westerly direction along the path of the Milky Way which should be right above your head (and which is stunning at the moment) and with the Plough over to your right. Most, though not all, seem to be falling along that direction.
Enjoy it, it's a free show.

no mobile shots?
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: September 12, 2013, 08:20:09 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24026153

Just read this. I know it's been expected for a while but I still find it incredible. Voyager 1 has left the solar system and is the first man-made object to do so.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #624 on: September 12, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
It's mind blowing, it really is
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: September 12, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »
Love this, the 'pale blue dot'...
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: September 12, 2013, 10:52:32 pm »
Love this, the 'pale blue dot'...

It's amazing when listening to Carl Sagan's speech as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M incase you want to see it.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: September 12, 2013, 10:55:46 pm »
It's amazing when listening to Carl Sagan's speech as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M incase you want to see it.
Yep, love his Cosmos series, watched it again, a couple of years back, despite the science being outdated, his enthusiasm and they way he communicates cosmology is compelling. 
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:44 pm »
Yep, love his Cosmos series, watched it again, a couple of years back, despite the science being outdated, his enthusiasm and they way he communicates cosmology is compelling. 

Never got a chance to watch it. Well before my time.  He's one of my heroes though really. Probably the one who truly got me interested in the way the universe works. 

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #629 on: September 12, 2013, 11:01:31 pm »
If anyone is interested in the full announcement (1n hour), here is the link (don't know how the embed).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ddt8xnnGGA
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:39 pm »
If anyone is interested in the full announcement (1n hour), here is the link (don't know how the embed).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ddt8xnnGGA

Brilliant mate. Thanks for sharing.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: September 13, 2013, 07:07:53 pm »
Voyager is the most epic story I've been privileged to follow in my life.  Yet even now, we know the influence of the Sun's gravity extends far beyond that of it's magnetic field, with the Oort Cloud still billions of miles ahead of Voyager 1.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #632 on: September 13, 2013, 08:19:25 pm »
It you drove your car at 40mph, it would take 26727 years to get as far as voyager has.

That's mind boggling, the whole thing is.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #633 on: September 13, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »
borrowed from reddit description of voyager

To imagine what being the voyager probe would be like, consider the following:
Your life begins, conceived during the mid-60s golden years of the space program. The core concepts of your design are settled during the first years of that decade, and refined for fifteen years as different attempts are made to extend the reach of man's knowledge first to the skies, then to our nearest neighbors. The embryo of your idea forms in an era of slide-rules and pencils, as astronomical calculations reveal a particularly fortuitous alignment of the outer planets in the coming decade, one that will slingshot you to the outer reaches of the solar system, hopping from planet to planet.
Slowly, your design is solidified, using the best space-worthy technology man has to offer, instrumentation, structure, power, from the peak of each discipline of a nation. The brightest engineers and scientists painstakingly weigh each possible ounce of material with which to construct you, judging the possible benefits that can be attained versus the energy you'll need to accomplish your journey. After all, the road that you will travel has never before been attempted by this race of surface-dwelling primates, so they have the barest idea of what to study. And yet, as the day of your birth approaches, plans are completed, mass and energy budgets are finalized, and your fetus takes form in a sterile clean room. Engineers calibrate your eyes and ears, build each part of your systems from scratch, and then test and re-test until they're as certain as they can be that all of your senses are ready for the trials you will face.
Finally, you're folded into the space probe equivalent of the fetal position, your sensors and reactor folded to fit inside the payload compartment of a nearly one and a half million pound rocket fueled by some of the most dangerous compounds known to man. At nearly one thousand times your total mass, this mountain of explosives will catapult you away from the last truly warm place you will ever know, away from the light and heat and activity of your womb, and into the cold blackness that will define you as a success, or perhaps as a failure. After all, for all the care that has been taken in your construction, if this unstable pillar that is supposed to provide your initial birthing contractions were to explode, it would end up as just another footnote in a string of failed attempts to ascend into the skies.
Fortunately, you are borne into the heavens cleanly; your delivery proceeds exactly as planned, and you begin your travel on the path that was chosen well before your birth. However, your tiny brain, barely a half a megabyte in capacity in today's terms, spread across six different subsystems, gets confused: you are dizzy, disoriented, and lost. Your eyes and ears and heart have all stretched out as they should, and everything is as it was designed to be, and yet you believe yourself lost much further out into the void than you truly are, and you scream the wail of a lost child, long and piercing, unresponsive to any attempt to convince you that you're alright.
A routine in your solid core memory kicks in, and you obey it, and you do the only thing you know. Every part of you shuts down, with the exception of your eye and your tiny legs, the gas thrusters that will help you orient yourself towards the warm light of the sun. You look around you, and locate this beacon, and as you twist and turn your senses gradually return and you realize that all is well. Finally, you call back home and tell them that all is well, after all. The frantic worrying over your extended silence is over, although you have no way of telling them, or even knowing, what actually went wrong. Yet you are on your way, and for now they will have to have faith in you. You are not expected to live much past three years, but your birth is a moment of exultation and relief.
You make your way toward your destiny, listening for your creators at set intervals as you were designed to do, when something happens - or more accurately, nothing. They are so engrossed in preparing to deliver your twin brother that they neglect you at just the wrong time, and you, hearing nothing, assume that you've gone deaf. You strain with one ear, then the other, and finally the words you've been awaiting arrive, but the struggle has damaged something vital. One of your ears is now completely deaf, and the other has been damaged irreparably, especially so given that you are millions of miles from home. New instructions are sent to you, and you adjust as time goes on, but your hearing will never be quite the same.
And so you wait, almost two long years traveling through the blackness, measuring, sensing, recording all you can detect and sending it back home as a constant yet paltry stream of information, and try not to get too jealous as your twin reaches the first of the outer planets, Jupiter, four months ahead of you. Yet it will pave the way for your own triumph, for this is the closest anything made by man will have ever, until this time, approached the giant, and its work will help refine what you are to do. You open your eyes, pitiful in their abilites - a pair of sensors 800 pixels on each side - and every 48 seconds for the next few months, you will repeatedly record what you can see, tell Earth, then repeat, changing filters as you are told to extract as much out of this time as you can. You help scientists make their careers: between you and your brother, astronomers over 700 million miles away find evidence for volcanism on Io, rings around the planet itself, and are able to study the furious hurricane known as the Great Red Spot in heretofore unthinkable detail. In approaching the planet, you maneuver so as to steal a tiny bit of its energy to turn into a huge change in course and gain in speed for yourself, sending you barreling off towards the sixth planet, Saturn; and again, you enter a semi-dormant state, waiting another two years for your moment to shine, with only the heat of your 400 Watt reactor slowly winding down to keep you warm.
The decision is made to send your brother on a suicide mission. The only known non-planetary atmosphere in the solar system surrounds the moon Titan, and thus the adjustments are made to throw him into an orbit that will carry your speedy sibling past the moon and out of the plane of the Solar System. From here on out, he will race towards the outer reaches of all that we know at a much faster rate than you - over 17 kilometers per second - and away from any other targets of interest. He will keep transmitting, and one day, nearly a decade into the future, will take a photograph that will become iconic, that of the Pale Blue Dot, putting into the minds of many a sense of awe and yet fragility at the position of the Earth in relation to the void.
You repeat his path, passing by Saturn, taking photos much as you have done before, and while you have not changed in the four years since your launch, preparations are underway back at the place of your birth to ready them for your next mission. You are aimed down a path that will carry you even further out, to Uranus and Neptune, and the antennae that have been the ears and voice of Earth are expanded from 26 to 34 meters to hear you as you pass farther and farther away. You will spend another four-plus years moving towards Uranus, and the antennae will grow to 70 meters as your voice grows faint; three more years, and you will pass by Neptune. By now, the signal that was more than sufficient in your youth is approximately equal to that emitted by a digital watch, and with each moment the plutonium core of your reactor winds down further. It is 1989, and you have done well, but you are not done yet.
There will not be another planet, not even a single additional source of heat nor velocity from here on out. Your energy budgets are recalculated, your mission extended. By now, the thousands of people who were once committed to getting you off the ground have largely moved on; some have died, some have found new careers... and a select few still listen. You faithfully make your way towards the outer edges of the system, growing colder, losing even the power necessary to keep yourself warm. In 1998, the decision is made that you no longer have the energy to operate your sensors; the last of your eyes are closed, forever. Your designers, perhaps optimistically, chose well when selecting your instrumentation - a number of packages remain relevant even beyond the orbits of the last of the gas giants. By now, though, it has been two decades since your departure, and technology has not halted in its progression. Computers have advanced, entire architectures have come and gone, and the systems able to understand what you have to say gradually fall apart. There are few machines left in the world that can even understand your language, and they are kept together solely for your sake. Perhaps it is pride, perhaps curiosity, that motivates men to maintain the vigil; whatever the case, you continue to do the only things you know. Detect, transmit.

Another decade passes. You no longer have the budget to continue operating the gyroscopes that allow you to calibrate your magnetic sensors. Several years prior, you mis-interpreted a routine telemetry command as one to power up the heaters to one of your magnetometers, possibly due to bombardment by cosmic radiation; over a period of five days, this caused irreparable damage to this subsystem. This is just one of a string of failures in individual components that comprise your being, inevitable yet saddening. Your tiny heart has outperformed expectations, still operating at 58% of initial capacity, but there is no avoiding what is to come.
By the end of the year, you will no longer be able to do mass gyroscopic calibrations.
Within five years, you will no longer be able to operate your gyroscopes at all.
Within ten years, power will have to be shared between every piece of you just to do any readings whatsoever.
And within the next fifteen years, you will no longer be able to power a single thing. Your life will come to an end.
Still you plug away, driven by the single-minded determination of your design, and the momentum that carries you. Perhaps, far into the future, you will serve one final purpose, communicating to someone traveling the great interstellar expanse a message from your home. For within your decrepit bulk, battered by all the extremes of space, there resides a gold-plated copper disc, on which are recorded sights, sounds, and messages of the tiny blue dot upon which you were conceived, created, and from which you were launched.
This is a message of hope, and a record of things that were, originating in a time of strife and uncertainty, and its mere presence indicates a belief that there will be a tomorrow. Even if that does not come to pass, you will continue on, perhaps one day the last record of a species that was, a species that dreamed and reached for the stars, a species that, once upon a time, sent out a few tenuous fingers into the great night sky and dared to dream that one day, they might follow. You've done well, much better than anyone could have thought, and now, eight and a half billion miles from home, you will continue to do what you can, but for now -
Detect. Transmit.
Sorry if I got anything wrong, but I fell in love with the Voyager program, and specifically Voyager 2, in the late 80s, and just wanted to share some of what I've felt over the years when I consider what that damned probe means for us. It's pretty amazing that a bunch of dudes in thick black glasses with little more than slide rules were able to do so much, and it gets me down that we've come nowhere near what we dreamed of back then.
There are definitely some innacuracies and a ton of glaring poetic license going on here, but I had fun researching this and I hope you enjoy reading it.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: September 22, 2013, 07:31:27 pm »
The excitement is mounting. We're going to be talking about comets an awful lot in the coming months.

First of all, we have Comet Ison to enjoy. We hope.

This mountain of ice and dust has come hurtling in from the outer Solar System and is about to swing around the Sun.

At closest approach on 28 November, it will be no more than 1.2 million km (800,000 miles) from our star's boiling surface.

The big question is: will it survive the encounter? "Sungrazers" like Ison very often just fall apart. But if it can remain intact, this "dirty snowball" will swing back out past the orbits of the inner planets, potentially throwing off huge streams of gas and dust.

The comet could appear as a great arc across the sky, no binoculars required. Then again, it might not. Comets are notoriously unreliable.

Recent observations have suggested that Ison might fall short of being spectacular, but could still put on a decent show. We won't know for sure until December.

And come December, we'll all have started looking forward to the space mission of 2014: Rosetta.

This is the European Space Agency probe that was launched way back in 2004. It's spent the past nine years working its way out to the orbit of Jupiter, to chase down Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

The plan is for Rosetta to circle and track this comet as it sweeps in towards the Sun.

The big highlight, though, will be the deployment of the probe's Philae lander. It's going to try to lock down on 4km-wide 67P and ride it.

How long Philae could withstand any outgassing as the ices heat up on approach to the Sun is anyone's guess. Will 67P be a "bucking bronco"?

"Philae's got screws and harpoons to hold it down," says Dr Matt Taylor, the Rosetta project scientist.

"I have to be confident we'll succeed. We'll be investing a lot of time before the landing trying to find the best place to put down."

Telescopic investigations are encouraging. 67P appears to have three main areas that produce jets, which Philae might want to avoid. But on the whole, the comet's recent passes of the Sun have been relatively smooth - it hasn't been prone to explosive outbursts.

Rosetta is a long way from Earth currently. Probes sent out to the vicinity of Jupiter would usually use radioisotope batteries, but the European spacecraft was equipped only with solar panels.

As a consequence, the probe was put to sleep in 2011 to reduce to its systems' demand for energy.

Controllers at Europe's Space Operations Centre in Darmstadt, Germany, are not in contact with Rosetta at present.

They're keeping their fingers crossed that an internal alarm clock will rouse the probe on 20 January 2014.

Once awake, it can activate its instruments and prepare for the rendezvous. Needless to say, the alarm clock event has quite a bit of tension associated with it.

"Before turning everything off, we spun up the spacecraft to keep it stable," explains Prof Mark McCaughrean, a senior official in Esa's science directorate.

"At the moment, Rosetta's not pointing its high-gain antenna at the Earth. So, we rely now on that alarm clock going off on time, because if it doesn't we'll have great difficulty communicating with the spacecraft.

"But we do expect it to go off. And when it does, Rosetta will warm up, spin down and point to Earth again, and we will receive a signal. We don't know exactly when we'll receive that signal. It will happen in a window."
Artist's impression of Philae lander Philae will deploy ice screws and harpoons to hold itself down on the comet's surface

Here's a timeline for the key events:

20 January 2014: Wake-up from hibernation
    Mid-March 2014: Check-out instruments
    21 May 2014: Major rendezvous manoeuvre
    6 August 2014: Arrive at Comet 67P
    27 August 2014: Start global mapping
    11 November 2014: Philae deployment (at about 450 million km from the Sun)
    13 August 2015: Perihelion - closest approach to the Sun (at about 185 million km from the Sun)
    31 December 2015: Nominal end of mission (although Esa is unlikely to switch off a working Rosetta)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24134698

Popcorn's Art

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #635 on: September 24, 2013, 08:26:54 pm »
I can't believe I've not been on here since holiday. Luckily I was in Hungary during perseid's meteor shower, clear skies, beers and just absolute astonishment.

The fucking size of some of them. Some completely burnt across the sky, a massive mixture of amazement and a bit of terror. The reality of being hit by an asteroid or meteor really hit home. Made me think of the Russian asteroids last year.

Was breath taking and pleased I got to witness it.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline SOHC

• Main Stander
« Reply #636 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:57 pm »
Updated SpaceX Falcon rocket blasts off

The US SpaceX company has successfully launched a new version of its Falcon 9 rocket from California.

The vehicle, carrying the Canadian Cassiope research satellite, lifted clear of the Vandenberg Air Force Base at 09:00 local time (16:00 GMT).

The desired orbit was achieved nine minutes later.

SpaceX says the updated rocket, known as Falcon 9v1.1, incorporates a number of modifications to boost performance and simplify operations.

This first outing should now open the way for the new model to begin carrying satellites for the private sector.

In addition to the business it already has with Nasa to resupply the space station, SpaceX has a long backlog of commercial customers waiting for a Falcon to launch their spacecraft.

These include the big telecommunications companies which own the platforms that relay the world's TV and phone traffic.

It is a launch market that has become dominated in recent years by the European Ariane 5 vehicle. SpaceX aims to take a large slice of its work, and is offering very competitive prices.

New opportunities
The 9v1.1 features more powerful Merlin engines and stretched tanks for additional propellant.

Sunday's launch was also the first time the rocket had flown with its new payload fairing.

The nozzle on the second-stage engine glows brightly as it powers to orbit This 13m-tall, 5m-wide clamshell covering is necessary to protect satellites from the aerodynamic forces encountered during an ascent.

Another first was SpaceX's use of Vandenberg. Until now, all Falcon launches have gone out of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

The West Coast facility allows the Falcon to undertake a greater range of missions. In particular, it enables the rocket to fly south out over the ocean, away from land, to reach the polar orbits favoured by Earth observation satellites.

SpaceX CEO and chief designer, Elon Musk, expressed satisfaction with the day's events: "It was a great day and we accomplished all of our primary mission objectives.

"We demonstrated a lot of new technologies successfully, including the Merlin 1D engine, the new stage-separation system, the much taller rocket which structurally performed very well, [and] the 17-ft diameter fairing, which separated successfully. Overall - really great."

Recycling rockets

There is sure to be a lot of interest, also, in the outcome of an experiment that SpaceX ran on Sunday with the Falcon's first stage.

Normally, this initial segment of a rocket falls back to Earth after burning out and is destroyed. But the company is endeavouring to develop a system that would allow it to recover and recycle these stages, further reducing the cost of launching a Falcon vehicle.

Ultimately, the idea is for Falcon first stages to have legs to permit them to make soft landings.

During Sunday's mission, three first-stage engines were commanded to reignite, to see if they could bring the rocket segment down through the atmosphere intact. A fourth engine was then ignited to try to slow the stage still further just before it touched the water.

Mr Musk reported that the test went well, although the stage lost stability in the moments prior to impacting the water - a behaviour he says his engineering team understands and can correct.

"So it hit the water relatively hard," he told reporters.

"We've recovered portions of the stage. But the most important thing is we now believe we have all the pieces of the puzzle."

And Mr Musk said SpaceX would attempt to land a stage on legs, on land, early next year.

The MDA Corporation, which built the Cassiope satellite, reported that the small research platform was performing as expected after being ejected by the Falcon's second stage. Cassiope, a project of the Canadian Space Agency, will study the Sun's interaction with Earth's upper atmosphere.

SES World Skies will be the first private sector customer to use the Falcon 9v1.1.

It has a telecommunication satellite called SES-8 that needs to be put 36,000km above the Asia Pacific region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24326413

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: October 1, 2013, 06:52:32 pm »

Astronomers have created the first map of the clouds on a planet outside our Solar System.

The planet in question is Kepler-7b, a large gaseous world like Jupiter, roughly 1,000 light-years away.

The researchers used data from Nasa's Spitzer and Kepler space telescopes to study the exoplanet, which orbits close to its parent star.

Their results suggest the hot giant is marked by high clouds in the west and clear skies in the east.

The findings have been accepted for publication in the journal Astrophysical Journal Letters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24348024

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #638 on: October 5, 2013, 01:00:28 am »
I haven't posted here with Curiosity updates in a long time, but the drive to Mount Sharp can be boring for most. The rover is carrying the drilled sample cashed (drilled and sieved but not analyzed) and is taking pictures of rocks. Look at the one on the foreground, shouldn't it have fallen over?!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: October 6, 2013, 05:29:22 pm »
I haven't posted here with Curiosity updates in a long time, but the drive to Mount Sharp can be boring for most. The rover is carrying the drilled sample cashed (drilled and sieved but not analyzed) and is taking pictures of rocks. Look at the one on the foreground, shouldn't it have fallen over?!

It's not Ronaldo in the penalty box y'know.  ;) ;D

Popcorn's Art