Author Topic: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?  (Read 47092 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Re: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?
« Reply #680 on: September 7, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »
Why phones that secretly listen to us are a myth

A mobile security company has carried out a research investigation to address the popular conspiracy theory that tech giants are listening to conversations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49585682

It's a relatively long read with a few charts, etc. so I won't copy and paste it here.

All that proves is that when they did the tests the phones weren't doing it. However, that doesn't prove that it hasn't been trialled in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it as a part of the development of Alexa, Siri and Hey Google and getting speech recognition working properly. I know years ago I'd want to ring the wife, I'd say call Jo and the phone would say "Do you want me to play Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd?" Drove me nuts as the fucker never understood what I said. These days it works fine.

Online Something Worse

• Believer
Re: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?
« Reply #681 on: September 7, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
Your phone might not be listening but Google Home etc is so be careful.