Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 319233 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.
« Reply #3400 on: November 20, 2023, 06:57:19 pm »
To me that's the most interesting part, because one learns from failures. Understanding what caused a failure is sometimes half the work on the path to getting it fixed.

The main lesson from failure is that it's better to do the engineering properly in the first place. Especially when life safety is involved. Starship is intended for manned flight and I fail to see when the "learning from failure" phase flips over into "we have solved all of the issues" phase.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 06:59:43 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3401 on: November 20, 2023, 06:59:40 pm »
He doesn't have to worry about safety in Florida though does he.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3402 on: November 20, 2023, 09:03:47 pm »
The main lesson from failure is that it's better to do the engineering properly in the first place. Especially when life safety is involved. Starship is intended for manned flight and I fail to see when the "learning from failure" phase flips over into "we have solved all of the issues" phase.

They aren’t planning on manned launches until probably 200 flights though. 

Given that the Falcon launch system is pretty much the most reliable ever developed, I’d suggest their methods have at least some validity
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 09:07:24 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3403 on: November 20, 2023, 09:06:54 pm »
He doesn't have to worry about safety in Florida though does he.
Not when he’s in Texas, no.

;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3404 on: November 20, 2023, 09:20:48 pm »
Not when he’s in Texas, no.

;D

The bastard.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3405 on: November 20, 2023, 10:12:02 pm »

You can only engineer properly for what you know though, the rest you learn from failures. You can try to over engineer, but that only works in trivial cases. Very often you could fool yourself that you know what you're doing using previous experiences, but a new factor could turn out to be critical. I've said it before in this thread - learning from failures from a test-to-fail approach is the fastest way to acquire best-quality knowledge. I've lived in the failure analysis world for about 15 years, still get involved now and then 7 years later, and I don't know of a better way to approach technology development projects in the realm of the unknown. This is a normal process in any technology. Take the semiconductor industry, for example. We are so used to getting a new smart phone, and new laptop a new gadget every so often that we take it for granted that the companies will just develop that for us. But before a product makes it to the market, the company goes through uncharted territories and fail many, many times before a product is ready (sometimes even not quite ready).

This has nothing to do with cutting corners, if that's what you mean, in which case I would agree with you.

When it comes to human life the stakes are much higher, obviously, but the process is the same. Risk has to be reduced to acceptable levels before a human climbs on board Starship. But it will, and probably much faster than NASA would do it. And the acceptable risk is not a quantifiable entity, it stems from the warm gut feeling of politicians and decision makers. For example, if it looks like a human flight might be ready in 5 years, the government may delay it more to avoid a potential embarrassment. But if the Chinese would be ready to do it in 5 years, I'd bet my house that the Starship will carry one in 4-4.5 years. During the Cold War space race a lot of risk was deemed acceptable. People even died, which was attributed to the cause, and the public accepted it. It was even worse on the Soviet side.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 10:13:44 pm by farawayred »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3406 on: November 21, 2023, 12:42:44 pm »
I guess when you're testing to fail you have a pretty good idea of where failure might occur. The problem is when you're not testing to fail and it still fails.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3407 on: November 21, 2023, 01:49:46 pm »
I think I heard on the radio that the 'philosophy' is to set a target, and when they feel they have a 50/50 chance of achieving that target, then launch.  They sort of know they won't hit the target, but feel they will figure out faster what needs to be fixed by launching and analysing the results than by modelling it first, and engineering it that way.
My worry would be that if they don't do enough iterations then something that doesn't happen during the 'test' launches then scuppers a real launch, with people on board.
That said the old fashioned method of analysing everything up front and engineering it that way wasn't infalliable.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3408 on: December 6, 2023, 09:45:08 am »
Found this really interesting.

Also absolutely mind-blowing - if structures like this exist, do they do anything - could they do anything?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-kTe0xRAU1w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-kTe0xRAU1w</a>

« Last Edit: December 6, 2023, 10:04:10 am by Andy Pandys Christmas Shandy »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3409 on: December 6, 2023, 09:51:20 pm »
Makes sense that. How could we assume the universe is uniform enough to make that assumption?
W

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3411 on: January 8, 2024, 07:11:39 pm »
well, so much for that....

A private moon mission that blasted into space on Monday appeared to be in jeopardy after suffering a “critical loss of propellant” and operators said they are considering alternatives for the mission.

After lift-off on Monday, the Peregrine Mission One (PM1) – which carries a piece of technology developed by UK scientists – experienced an “anomaly” that would have prevented the lander from achieving a stable position pointing towards the sun, according to Astrobotic, the US firm behind the project.

While this was fixed, the company established that it was being caused by a failure in the propulsion system, and further investigation revealed the craft was losing propellant.

Across two separate statements, the company said: “We have successfully re-established communications with Peregrine after the known communication blackout. The team’s improvised manoeuvre was successful in reorienting Peregrine’s solar array towards the sun. We are now charging the battery.

“The Mission Anomaly Board continues to evaluate the data we’re receiving and is assessing the status of what we believe to be the root of the anomaly: a failure within the propulsion system.

“Unfortunately, it appears the failure within the propulsion system is causing a critical loss of propellant. The team is working to try and stabilise this loss, but given the situation, we have prioritised maximizing the science and data we can capture. We are currently assessing what alternative mission profiles may be feasible at this time.”

The lander carrying Nasa scientific equipment initially launched successfully on the Vulcan Centaur rocket from Cape Canaveral.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/08/nasa-peregrine-1-vulcan-rocket-carrying-nasa-moon-lander-lifts-off-in-florida

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3412 on: January 8, 2024, 07:52:06 pm »
That's very regrettable... An artist friend of mine, Ioannis Michaloudis, who is the only person to make aerogel sculptures (worth googling that!), has lost a project of sorts. He participated in the MoonArk project, which was supposed to be a representation of Earth art record on the moon.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3413 on: January 8, 2024, 08:52:50 pm »
They seem to have some hope of getting some science from the project, but I'm not sure what. The lander is carrying a few rovers. The odds of the vehicle being able to touch down must surely be extremely low at this point.

Maybe they can adopt a slower, low energy transfer to lunar orbit? Use the fuel they have and then try to rely on the lander's propulsion system somehow?

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3414 on: January 8, 2024, 09:08:59 pm »
Hard to say without knowing any details. If they are using propellant, maybe the landing propellant allocation is also affected...

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3415 on: January 8, 2024, 09:23:33 pm »
Hard to say without knowing any details. If they are using propellant, maybe the landing propellant allocation is also affected...

I must admit, I didn't read the whole article. I was under the impression that it was the booster that was leaking, but maybe it's the lander itself.

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: January 19, 2024, 04:05:14 pm »
Peregrine One will experience "rapid disassembly" (per the new thread title) in Earth's atmosphere. But the artist I mentioned above would love to see "fireworks" or meteor shower"...

On a much better note, Japan's Sniper landed on the Moon. Cross fingers for radio contact!

Solar panels not working, but battery is alive for now.

Live press conference now:
https://twitter.com/JAXA_en/status/1748345554655228118?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 05:46:55 pm by farawayred »

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3417 on: January 19, 2024, 10:32:07 pm »
Yeah, the Japanese probe seems to have toppled onto its side after landing, putting its solar panels in the shade. There's some hope the probe will reactivate in a couple of weeks when the sun rises on that side of the spacecraft. I'm not too sure myself though.

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3418 on: January 20, 2024, 10:52:36 am »
Going to the moon is unbelievably hard …

Still.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3419 on: January 20, 2024, 07:43:51 pm »
Ingenuity has lost touch with its he,I opted during its 72nd of 5 planned flights.

A bit sad on one hand, but on the other, just a mind blowing achievement

Getting that onto mars and it flying… that’s one of humanity's greatest achievements
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3420 on: January 21, 2024, 05:41:37 am »
Ingenuity has lost touch with its he,I opted during its 72nd of 5 planned flights.

A bit sad on one hand, but on the other, just a mind blowing achievement

Getting that onto mars and it flying… that’s one of humanity's greatest achievements
This is what was posted internally last regarding Ingenuity:
Ingenuity Flight 72 Anomaly: The helicopter executed a planned "popup" flight to 12 meters. During its descent real-time telemetry to the rover stopped just prior to touchdown. The post-flight communication session was unsuccessful. The team uplinked a two-sol plan to execute a communication search over the weekend, which will inform the path forward.

Cross fingers...

Considering that the Ingenuity mission was only four flights, and that there was (somewhat) serious consideration of terminating the mission back then... I doff my hat to the team.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3421 on: January 21, 2024, 10:20:53 am »
Yeah, simply a mind blowing achievement to do that.

Fingers crossed that something works out.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3422 on: January 22, 2024, 07:03:25 pm »
This is a view from Mars.

https://twitter.com/theplanetaryguy/status/1749499416333947387?s=61&t=IBM61bzNciP9yNB3C-HiEg

It’s the transit of Deimos across the sun!!  Incredible, just incredible
W

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3423 on: January 22, 2024, 07:51:16 pm »
This is a view from Mars.

https://twitter.com/theplanetaryguy/status/1749499416333947387?s=61&t=IBM61bzNciP9yNB3C-HiEg

It’s the transit of Deimos across the sun!!  Incredible, just incredible

You can't fool me, that's just a cue ball

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3424 on: January 23, 2024, 01:30:17 am »
Yeah, simply a mind blowing achievement to do that.

Fingers crossed that something works out.
The latest:
"The team has reestablished contact with the heli..."

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3425 on: January 23, 2024, 07:04:10 am »
The latest:
"The team has reestablished contact with the heli..."
Yay!
W

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3426 on: January 24, 2024, 07:06:27 pm »
Great news!

Tough little bugger, this 'copter!

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: January 24, 2024, 07:21:49 pm »
Tough little bugger indeed. The copter's time will come to an end eventually, and it's not quite out of the woods yet, but it long survived its initially intended purpose. The team lost contact shortly before touchdown on flight 72. Then they forced it to a "long listen" command, which is the way they reestablished contact. That suggests the helicopter's timing was way off (reset?). Now that that's fixed, they are trying to locate it. Its images download was delayed on arrival due to a totally unrelated DSN issue, so they are scheduled for today's window. Once they see the images, it might be easier to locate it, or at least they will focus the search to a much narrower area. The plan is to do a 50 rpm test first, then a high speed test, and we'd know more about the state of affairs. I hope all the blades are in tact!

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3428 on: January 25, 2024, 08:58:03 pm »
RIP

https://twitter.com/nasa/status/1750604632194252973?s=61&t=IBM61bzNciP9yNB3C-HiEg

Damaged rotor blades.

It’s flown its last.   One of mankind's great achievements

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 09:12:44 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3429 on: January 25, 2024, 11:45:16 pm »
Just came to post this. RIP little bugger!

A curious fact for those that might have missed it - the first flight on Mars carries a remnant of the first flight on Earth. A piece of fabric from Kitty Hawk, the Wright brothers airplane that first took to the sky in 1903, was carried by Ingenuity and now has "flown" on Mars too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did suspect the blades... The sad news:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/after-three-years-on-mars-nasas-ingenuity-helicopter-mission-ends

After Three Years on Mars, NASA’s Ingenuity Helicopter Mission Ends
Jan. 25, 2024

NASA has proven powered, controlled flight is possible on other worlds, just as the Wright brothers proved it was possible on Earth.

NASA’s history-making Ingenuity Mars Helicopter has ended its mission at the Red Planet after surpassing expectations and making dozens more flights than planned. While the helicopter remains upright and in communication with ground controllers, imagery of its Jan. 18 flight sent to Earth this week indicates one or more of its rotor blades sustained damage during landing and it is no longer capable of flight.

Originally designed as a technology demonstration to perform up to five experimental test flights over 30 days, the first aircraft on another world operated from the Martian surface for almost three years, performed 72 flights, and flew more than 14 times farther than planned while logging more than two hours of total flight time.

“The historic journey of Ingenuity, the first aircraft on another planet, has come to end,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “That remarkable helicopter flew higher and farther than we ever imagined and helped NASA do what we do best – make the impossible, possible. Through missions like Ingenuity, NASA is paving the way for future flight in our solar system and smarter, safer human exploration to Mars and beyond.”

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3430 on: January 26, 2024, 02:31:10 am »
That's heartbreaking. RIP you little bugger.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3431 on: January 26, 2024, 01:58:23 pm »
Does this mean mars has some sort of atmosphere?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3432 on: January 26, 2024, 02:27:18 pm »
Does this mean mars has some sort of atmosphere?
Err yes. About 1% of ours
W

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3433 on: January 26, 2024, 07:22:24 pm »
Cool thanks. I was wondering how the heck anything could fly without atmosphere.

Offline jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3434 on: February 23, 2024, 06:10:17 am »
Thought this was worth a post - didn’t know this was ongoing tbf.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68377730

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3435 on: February 23, 2024, 01:32:47 pm »
Thought this was worth a post - didn’t know this was ongoing tbf.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68377730
It's a bit wild that it's taken nearly 55 years for a commercial enterprise to achieve what the US government did with what would now be considered archaic technology.  From reading the article the mission was also saved by taking advantage of some experimental NASA "ranging" lasers after the primary ones failed.

Presumably the costs are many, many times cheaper now though.  The experiments don't sound like game changers but incremental steps at a relatively cheap cost is a good thing.

Being very petty I'm pleased that Elon Musk doesn't have his fingerprints anywhere near this one so can't try to claim credit for it  ;D

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3436 on: February 23, 2024, 02:24:21 pm »
It's a bit wild that it's taken nearly 55 years for a commercial enterprise to achieve what the US government did with what would now be considered archaic technology.  From reading the article the mission was also saved by taking advantage of some experimental NASA "ranging" lasers after the primary ones failed.

Presumably the costs are many, many times cheaper now though.  The experiments don't sound like game changers but incremental steps at a relatively cheap cost is a good thing.

Being very petty I'm pleased that Elon Musk doesn't have his fingerprints anywhere near this one so can't try to claim credit for it  ;D

Some horrible person should really give him a load of stick on Twitter about it :D

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3437 on: February 23, 2024, 10:34:08 pm »
It has however landed on its side……
Ooops
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3438 on: February 24, 2024, 02:55:23 am »
I thought it went up on one of the dickheads rockets.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3439 on: February 24, 2024, 09:30:06 am »
It has however landed on its side……
Ooops

Sideways pics are fine, I have rotate in MS Paint