Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 63817 times)

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 9/11
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:40 am »
Don't think I've ever seen that picture before

Astonishing image. Cant even begin to imagine seeing that live, not knowing what on earth was going on. Must have shook you to your core.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2011, 12:26:42 pm »
Both buildings leaned at impact - eight to ten seconds in one direction, like a sailboat catching a strong wind, then straightened out.

Structurally they were sound enough. But other *non-structural* factors sealed the fates of people caught in them, like the fact that all doors leading to the roof were locked. Even though the smoke made a roof rescue nigh impossible, many folks were trapped trying to pry the doors open in vain.

Also in the mix was the fact that it was aviation fuel that was driving the fire at a point that made the steel fail and effectively the area above the impacts became a downward exerting weight through the structure, leading to the towers collapsing straight down

So many terrible factors on a terrible day
A win for the Liverpool country

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2011, 12:47:25 pm »
the guardian is tweeting 9/11 as it happened:

http://twitter.com/#!/911tenyearsago

Mohamed Atta and Abdulaziz al-Omari board American Airlines Flight 11 at Boston Logan airport
12 minutes ago

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2011, 01:00:17 pm »
I was in the metrocentre this day 10 years ago and watched it on a TV in Dixons.  It's like it wasn't really happening, a mad dram or something.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2011, 01:04:22 pm »
Can't believe it has been 10 years already. That day change the whole world. May all the innocent people that lost their lives that day R.I.P. :(
Justice for the 97

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »
RIP to everyone who lost their lives on that horrible day.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline checkolad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »
I have sickle cell so I had a blood transfusion that day.Then i came home and saw it on the news. I did not realise its significance at the time.It sounds bad to say but it was almost like watching a film on the news.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2011, 01:19:17 pm »
10 years on and I still find it difficult to comprehend.

R.I.P to all those who lost their lives and my thoughts, as ever, are with their families and everyone that knew them x

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2011, 01:50:13 pm »
One thing I dont think people realise is the scale of loss. Near 3000 died, but it wasnt that they simply died, many of them vanished, I have a friend whose 18 year old neice started work in tower one that day, they never found anything, not a scrap, just gone in a cloud of dust and rubble.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »
2nd tower hit exactly ten years.

It really doesnt seem like that, but so much has happened since

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:38 pm »
If you get the History Channel, 102 Minutes That Changed America is on now. Terrifying stuff.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »
If you get the History Channel, 102 Minutes That Changed America is on now. Terrifying stuff.

tapin all that. Dont know if thats a bit gruesome to do or not, but Id like to see it
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »
I came home from school and found my mum crying on the sofa. Can't believe it was ten years ago.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2011, 02:06:32 pm »
Ten years. Can't believe it's so long. R.I.P to all who perished, and my heart is with the tens of thousands of people personally affected by the tragedy.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2011, 02:37:20 pm »
Just reading this about a guy who was in the WTC when the first plane hit and whos sister and niece were on board the second plane that hit. Heartbreaking stuff

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ron-Clifford-escaped-World-Trade-Center-sister-niece-killed-in-plane-121086179.htmlhttp://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ron-Clifford-escaped-World-Trade-Center-sister-niece-killed-in-plane-121086179.html

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2011, 02:49:06 pm »

Horrible viewing.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2011, 03:09:03 pm »
Anyone know why the Guardian twitter feed stopped? The one that was doing the timeline of the attacks?

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Quantum

• Main Stander
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2011, 03:20:57 pm »
Possibly someone felt it was inappropriate and complained.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2011, 03:22:23 pm »
Anyone know why the Guardian twitter feed stopped? The one that was doing the timeline of the attacks?

Good old Twitter outrage. AP have been doing exactly the same thing.

I don't really get it, personally. Not sure how it's "disgusting" and "sick" and "disgraceful" but the History Channel showing 102 Minutes That Changed America (also in real-time) isn't, for example. Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2011, 03:59:42 pm »
Just watching the remembrance thing on BBC1, so sad.

RIP to all those lost on that day

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2011, 04:04:48 pm »
10 years today.

RIP all. :(
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »
Finding it a bit difficult to watch the service from Grosvenor Square.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2011, 04:10:16 pm »
All very sad.  :'(

R.I.P to them all.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2011, 04:10:26 pm »
What strikes me from the Coverage of this and the reading of the names, Its always reported as an attack on the American people/ West. The names, are so, worldwide. Creed, nationality, religion, gender..... irrelevant. Heartbreaking.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2011, 04:24:29 pm »
Remember coming home from School and seeing it on the telly. Never forget seeing that person jump from the building.
-YNWA-

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2011, 04:30:04 pm »
The average age of those murdered on that day was 40, at the time I was 34. What a waste I have made of 10 years that so many would have swapped for ten minutes more.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline ctyapt

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2011, 04:40:03 pm »
I was packing ready to head back to Nottingham for my final year in University. My dad called up the stairs for me to come and watch the news and remember being sure it would be an interview with Ged about the CL match.
The first thing i said was it was terrorism and my mum disagreeing saying it was a small plane and an accident and me saying look how clear the weather is no way is that an accident or a small plane, Then while they were interviewing a the bbc reporter in NY the second plane went in and removed all doubt.
I remember going down the pub for the match that evening and from it being such a massive event, our first foray into the champions league, hardly watching the game, just standing round the bar talking about what had happened and how the world wouldnt be the same after the events of that afternoon.

Offline Dan_YNWA

• Anny Roader
  • RAWK's resident Muslim
« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2011, 04:44:25 pm »
I was asleep and of course could not believe my eyes when I turned on the TV.
The King is back!

YNWA

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 11, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »
terrible day.  I was at home and watching it on the telly and just couldn't believe it.  I remember thinking that there must be tens of thousands of people who had just lost their lives when the first tower went and then the horror of the second tower going and that huge plume of smoke and dust that rose into the air.

It is a miracle that not more were killed that day, given that each tower usually had thousands of people in it each day.

I watched a programme the other night about the work a small downtown hospital did that day, dealing with all the injured, not only people who had got out of the towers but pedestrians who were injured by flaming jet fuel and falling debris - something I hadn't really thought about till I saw that programme.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hållar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: September 11, 2011, 05:51:50 pm »
May they all rest in peace.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #270 on: September 11, 2011, 06:10:14 pm »
terrible day.  I was at home and watching it on the telly and just couldn't believe it.  I remember thinking that there must be tens of thousands of people who had just lost their lives when the first tower went and then the horror of the second tower going and that huge plume of smoke and dust that rose into the air.

It is a miracle that not more were killed that day, given that each tower usually had thousands of people in it each day.

I watched a programme the other night about the work a small downtown hospital did that day, dealing with all the injured, not only people who had got out of the towers but pedestrians who were injured by flaming jet fuel and falling debris - something I hadn't really thought about till I saw that programme.
and then add in all the people who did or will die prematurely from breathing in the dust...it boggles the mind.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #271 on: September 11, 2011, 06:49:22 pm »
Sky News have their coverage from the day on the red button. Bit surreal watching it back knowing what happened.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »
I doubt there will ever be something so unique (maybe wrong word to use?) in the sense that it was the biggest atrocity in my lifetime, and it was all caught on camera, at least from after the first planes impact.

Most terrorist atrocities are captured after the fact. This one was played out live on TV, and the impact and the shock of seeing it live will never diminish for me. It really won't. Even now, 10 years later, it's as shocking now as it was back then. I still sit glued to anything connected with it because it still seems unreal.

I watched a programme on Sky the other night, not sure of it was NG, History or Discovery, called 10 Years Later. It was the story of the two french documentary makers who were there to make a film about New York City fire crews, one house in particular, and who were the people who captured the first plane hit when they were filming the fire crew in the street. It was so moving. Very powerful film. All taken on the day, all as it happened.

The things that stood out for me was the firefighters faces. They just seemed in complete shock. The film captured the moment when the crews in one tower heard the other collapsing and just ran for their lives. The moment when the second collapsed, and then the moments where, one by one, all the firefighters from that one fire house gradually came back to the fire house covered in dust and debris. I'll admit, I was crying watching it because it showed the raw emotion of the crew as they came back, saying 'I thought you were dead' to their colleagues, and hugging and in tears themselves.

The moment when the two french guys, brothers, just stood there, then one hugged the other and they both burst into tears at what had just happened, was very moving.
If anyone manages to catch it at some point, it's a brilliant 2 hour document of that day, and sums up the shock, panic and emotions of it all.

Very sad at the end when they show the faces of all 343 firemen that died that day, with Danny Boy sang over the top.
RIP.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 11, 2011, 07:14:20 pm »
Thanks for that Paul, ill look that up.

Offline Doogie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #274 on: September 11, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
Paul, is that the same documentary where they're in the lobby of one of the buildings and they hear thumping...and one asks what the noise is, and a fireman says something like "jumpers"?

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »
If anybody has a link to that documentary i'd be very interested in seeing it.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2011, 07:50:54 pm »
If anybody has a link to that documentary i'd be very interested in seeing it.
It will be on the Nat Geo channel (Sky 526) at 8pm tonight and then on +1 (Channel 527) at 9pm.

Thanks for that Paul, ill look that up.

I haven't seen it myself so I'm going to watch it.

R.I.P to all those who lost their lives on 9/11.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:54:51 pm by JavierMascherano20 »

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2011, 07:56:29 pm »
Paul, is that the same documentary where they're in the lobby of one of the buildings and they hear thumping...and one asks what the noise is, and a fireman says something like "jumpers"?

Yeah. They basically went with the fire crews and filmed them in the lobby. One of the brothers went with them, the other stayed at the firehouse then went along the streets filming people watching it all going on. The film then interviews the firefighters 10 years later, it's a very good 2 hours. Captures the emotions and everything else of the day very well.

It's either called 10 Years Later or Ten Years On. I'll have a look. It was on this week on one of those channels, 2 hours and with no ad breaks.

EDIT: I think it's on right now on National Geographic channel.

http://natgeotv.com/uk/911-ten-years-later/videos/world-trade-center

It will be on the Nat Geo channel (Sky 526) at 8pm tonight and then on +1 (Channel 527) at 9pm.

Sorry, didn't see this. Yep, that's the one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:00:55 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2011, 08:19:33 pm »
Thanks for letting me know about this documentary Paul. I'll be watching it at 9 as I already missed 20 minutes and want to see it all.
Justice for the 97

Offline Sar75

• no common sents
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2011, 08:20:44 pm »
I'm just watching back the American service of Remembrance. It's utterly heartbreaking, the horror of the film footage and pictures doesn't fade with time.
May they all RIP
To work hard and have our supporters behind us and believing until the end, you run a little bit more.
Rafa Benitez