Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3336310 times)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #26160 on: October 1, 2021, 03:42:01 pm »
I'm not sure if Robbo reads RAWK but I'd echo the thoughts already expressed. I love and value his contribution to the podcasts and YouTube vids and deffo miss him when he's on he's off on his holidays.

If he thinks he has nothing 'fresh' to say or it's doing his head in, it deffo doesn't come across, the quality (and humour) of his contributions is undiminished. If he needs a break he should deffo take one, I'll miss his input, or maybe ramp up the crisp content instead  ;D.

Either way take care and know your value.

Ditto - take care Robbo.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #26161 on: October 1, 2021, 03:46:14 pm »
Have I missed something regarding Robbo?

Either way you're integral to the wrap and you've always come across as a sound fella and definitely a great pint.

Hope you're ok.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26162 on: October 1, 2021, 03:47:42 pm »
Have I missed something regarding Robbo?

Either way you're integral to the wrap and you've always come across as a sound fella and definitely a great pint.

Hope you're ok.

His latest tweet suggests he's struggling for writing inspiration at the moment.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26163 on: October 1, 2021, 04:01:27 pm »
I haven't got a clue whats going on but ....
I don't think anyone agrees with every single word Robbo says as we all have differing opinions but I'd say his contribution to the podcasts are faultless.

Don't question yourself Gareth, you've absolutely smashed the media career mate.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26164 on: October 1, 2021, 04:07:33 pm »
I haven't got a clue whats going on but ....
I don't think anyone agrees with every single word Robbo says as we all have differing opinions but I'd say his contribution to the podcasts are faultless.

Don't question yourself Gareth, you've absolutely smashed the media career mate.

It was this.....

https://twitter.com/robbohuyton/status/1443707281246412804?s=21
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26165 on: October 1, 2021, 04:07:55 pm »
Robbo getting plenty of supportive messages on twitter

Hope hes ok
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26166 on: October 1, 2021, 05:40:03 pm »
Great to hear. My favourite contributor and probably the only TAW head that is universally like by my mates. Keep the chin up Gareth and do what's in your own best interests.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26167 on: October 1, 2021, 07:04:25 pm »
Yep, Robbo is great.

Also, watching the TAW Live video on YouTube and my mind has been blown. Neil mentioned Carl Clemente, pronouncing it Cla-men-tay. I’ve been reading it as “Clement”.

Feels like when I found out hyperbole is pronounced hy-puh-bahl-ay

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26168 on: October 1, 2021, 07:49:50 pm »
Thought the Ste Armstrong ‘What football means to me’ episode was brilliant.

Adam Smith is an excellent host on this as well.

My favourite part was when he was describing how he wasn’t remotely arsed when Liverpool were winning everything as football wasn’t about winning trophies only to then describe how amazing it was when Man United started winning everything.

Once a Manc always a Manc and that.

He did talk a lot of sense to be fair and it was a decent listen, but they never quite seem to shift that undertone of how they’re not arsed when Liverpool do well when they clearly are, it’s like it’s engrained into their very beings.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #26169 on: October 1, 2021, 08:56:39 pm »
My favourite part was when he was describing how he wasn’t remotely arsed when Liverpool were winning everything as football wasn’t about winning trophies only to then describe how amazing it was when Man United started winning everything.

I think when you are younger going home and away, there's more to going the game than just seeing your team win. Dare I say it but going away in the 80's there was probably more to it than just the game. A lot more 'going on' as an away supporter in those days. Stuff that some people revelled in and added to their match going experience.

I'm a bit younger than Ste (I think) so only went to a few aways in the latter half of the 80's. Saw a few things at those aways that you just wouldn't see nowadays. Stories my old man tells me about going away regularly in the 70's and early to mid 80's make it seem a million miles away from my match going experiences in the 90's and 00's.

Like I said I think when you are younger, and he was talking early teens onwards, there's the adventure element of going to aways on your own etc..Makes the games and the enjoyment more than just the football. As football changed in the 90's and as people got older that focus probably changed somewhat.

I doubt he wasn't bothered Liverpool were winning in the 80's. Equally I sort of believe him that he probably wasn't beating himself up about it or deriving any less enjoyment out of following United because Liverpool were more successful.

Personally I couldn't; say the same thing when United were dominating in the 90's and 00's. I loved going the game regularly in the 90's and 00's. It was different than nowadays but not a million miles removed. We were not great most of the time and United were boss, and that annoyed me. Didn't massively ruin my match going experience on a game to game basis but I got to the point where I couldn't have United on the TV.

Nowadays I don't really care about them. I think once they got to 18 league titles I started caring less about them. Want them to get beat but it's a shrug of the shoulders if they win. If they won the league I probably wouldn't be that bothered. I don't want them to but if they did I wouldn't let it ruin my day. In the past it would've ruined my month never mind day.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26170 on: October 1, 2021, 10:54:55 pm »
I hope Robbohuyton is OK… but it may be that he’s ‘too OK’.

He’s namechecked Eckhart Tolle in his time has Gareth. He’s a very interesting man, who I have about as much time for as any really, given our experience of his work and spirit on here over the last decade or so. He’s quite the selfless fella.

Put it this way, life happens to you and Wooltonian of this parish could corroborate - you get to a point where a faith kicks in and it doesn’t really matter what you write or say about any of it. Hinesy round these parts has hinted at similar in the themes he covered - and older writers leave the site and go dark.

I think Gareth is wonderful though. He has a writing style that could describe anything and still be readable. A snail moving over a leaf. Whatever he looks at. I’m watching a Netflix documentary about Joan Didion just now and it says it all really. Just keep writing.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2021, 11:01:16 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26171 on: October 2, 2021, 12:39:24 am »
I hope Robbohuyton is OK… but it may be that he’s ‘too OK’.

He’s namechecked Eckhart Tolle in his time has Gareth. He’s a very interesting man, who I have about as much time for as any really, given our experience of his work and spirit on here over the last decade or so. He’s quite the selfless fella.

Put it this way, life happens to you and Wooltonian of this parish could corroborate - you get to a point where a faith kicks in and it doesn’t really matter what you write or say about any of it. Hinesy round these parts has hinted at similar in the themes he covered - and older writers leave the site and go dark.

I think Gareth is wonderful though. He has a writing style that could describe anything and still be readable. A snail moving over a leaf. Whatever he looks at. I’m watching a Netflix documentary about Joan Didion just now and it says it all really. Just keep writing.

You too mate.
I'm not on any social media so I've no idea what's going on at all with Gareth. I feel a kinship with him after all this time with TAW and with certain life events we happen to have in common. He doesn't know me from Adam and that's fine. I hope he's well and, if he read this well, he makes a difference. Keep on rocking on Gareth.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #26172 on: October 2, 2021, 02:04:00 pm »
The difference between City's current defensive numbers and Liverpool's attack (from the league winning season) is that City's underlying numbers are much better/more sustainable than our attacking numbers were.

We averaged 98 points over two seasons, beat City by 18 points without financially doping, and when we 'regressed to the mean' we had an injury crisis that meant our starting eleven looked nothing like when we produced our best results.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26173 on: October 2, 2021, 02:05:05 pm »
Harriet on FF this morning :thumbup

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #26174 on: October 2, 2021, 02:18:20 pm »
Can only agree with others here when it comes to Gareth Roberts. One of my favourites. And in general, TAW has helped me through the pandemic. Always looking forward to hear new podcasts. Brings the city of Liverpool closer to me on a daily basis.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #26175 on: October 2, 2021, 04:17:32 pm »
Yep, Robbo is great.

Also, watching the TAW Live video on YouTube and my mind has been blown. Neil mentioned Carl Clemente, pronouncing it Cla-men-tay. I’ve been reading it as “Clement”.

Feels like when I found out hyperbole is pronounced hy-puh-bahl-ay

I only recently learned when they segue to other segments that it’s spelt like that. I always thought it was Segway.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26176 on: October 3, 2021, 12:11:08 am »
Neil marvellous on 606. Marvellous.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26177 on: October 3, 2021, 12:14:41 am »

Any chance of a link please?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26178 on: October 3, 2021, 11:17:19 am »

It’s on Spotify as a podcast and such like mate :)

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26179 on: October 3, 2021, 12:29:26 pm »

It’s on BBC Sounds, yesterday’s episode https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09xl9c1

Starts at 00.19.35
« Last Edit: October 3, 2021, 12:31:45 pm by Levitz »
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26180 on: October 3, 2021, 12:43:46 pm »
Neil was also just on Sky Sports News if anyone can clip it. Didn’t see it as I’m on the train to the match, bodied Chelsea by all accounts.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26181 on: October 3, 2021, 12:46:51 pm »
I feel there’s too little Paul Senior at the moment. Need a little bit more Senior.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26182 on: October 3, 2021, 12:51:12 pm »
Neil was also just on Sky Sports News if anyone can clip it. Didn’t see it as I’m on the train to the match, bodied Chelsea by all accounts.

Wish Id seen that hes provides vastly superior pre and post game analysis to the "pros" on tv

As do Dan Morgan and Sean Rogers
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26183 on: October 3, 2021, 01:28:31 pm »
Wish Id seen that hes provides vastly superior pre and post game analysis to the "pros" on tv

As do Dan Morgan and Sean Rogers

A belligerent Neil on these sort of things is a great sight to behold!

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26184 on: October 3, 2021, 03:51:50 pm »
The live prematch from the pub on youtube was brilliant!
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #26185 on: October 3, 2021, 03:57:25 pm »
The live prematch from the pub on youtube was brilliant!

Yep got me very jealous. Wish I was in town with a ticket for this.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #26186 on: October 3, 2021, 10:27:17 pm »
I feel there’s too little Paul Senior at the moment. Need a little bit more Senior.
Yeah.  Where’s he gone? Is he on the video content or just taking a bit of time away?

Sometimes Paul puts my back up a bit…but I actually think I appreciate him all the more for it
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26187 on: October 4, 2021, 12:30:51 am »
End of post match pint was nice Robbo in good form. Gettt innn 😀
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #26188 on: October 4, 2021, 12:31:56 am »
Agreed I think hes great

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #26189 on: October 4, 2021, 07:17:31 am »
If that Greater Mancunian ref doesn't get slaughtered I'm not sure I can get through today.

Let them get away with shit all game. He's appalling and shouldn't be near a football pitch

Yes on the Pink. City didn't commit enough in the first half. Cowardly team
« Last Edit: October 4, 2021, 09:43:04 am by red_Mark1980 »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26190 on: October 4, 2021, 10:42:36 am »
Neil Atkinson's match report on the site holds just the right tone for me. The joy at seeing football of that level in his back yard is palpable, and there's not a hint of tribalism about it beyond the Liverpudlian affection - pure magnanamous relish of the spectacle. I love that he holds that tone. And I love a sheepdog trialling metaphor.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2021/10/writing-liverpool-2-manchester-city-2-review/

A beacon is Mr Atkinson. A shining beacon.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #26191 on: October 4, 2021, 10:46:30 am »

The City fan who wouldn't take Salah and "doesn't like him" was lovely as well, given his subsequent performance.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26192 on: October 4, 2021, 11:31:05 am »
The City fan who wouldn't take Salah and "doesn't like him" was lovely as well, given his subsequent performance.

Yeah he seemed decent. There's no real beef with these is there, even if they do want to manufacture one.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26193 on: October 5, 2021, 08:20:42 pm »
First question on AFQ Football today. A proud moment. :D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26194 on: October 6, 2021, 03:21:25 am »
^ ha ha. And it’s a cracker. John Wark before we signed him

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26195 on: October 6, 2021, 06:54:24 pm »
That Dave Bolton cup of tea was brilliant. What an inspirational guy.

Offline Wghennessy

• Embarassing
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26196 on: October 6, 2021, 07:01:39 pm »
Episode one : Nonce

Episode two : Pedo

Insightful stuff there  :lmao

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #26197 on: October 7, 2021, 02:50:56 pm »

Well done. Was it the slappable face Q?

Think i've had it 2 or 3 times when they've asked my Q on AFQ. Nothing football related though.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26198 on: October 7, 2021, 03:23:55 pm »

Can't believe Bernardo Silva and Gabriel Jesus weren't mentioned! The AFQers were far too polite, I've got a list already drawn up in case I'm ever asked. ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26199 on: October 7, 2021, 03:40:03 pm »
Can't believe Bernardo Silva and Gabriel Jesus weren't mentioned! The AFQers were far too polite, I've got a list already drawn up in case I'm ever asked. ;D

Yeah, they were spoilt for choice to be fair.

Do you imagine you’re on the panel? I do like it when I have an answer in mind and one of them gives the same one. Very Blankety Blank!