Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3340239 times)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19680 on: December 11, 2018, 02:29:42 pm »
Referring to an adult person as a girl is demeaning and infantilising. Women have a hard enough time being taken seriously when talking sport, we can do our bit to make sure they feel respected.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #19681 on: December 11, 2018, 02:38:37 pm »
It’s not because she’s a girl mate, I just found her annoying and very little of what she said aeemed to add anything. I find Mel Reddy excellent to listen to and there’s several other female contributors on there who are also excellent. I just found that show yesterday a bit of a waste of time.

Horseshit. Listened to it back as I enjoyed the show first time but was distracted as shopping - I find it hard to believe she contributed less than John Milburn or John Gibbons and all three were just having a happy conversation about being top of the league. Please listen again and tell us the comments that she made that were so annoying compared to the stuff the male contributors made. You’re welcome to your opinion, but if we’re going to critique a contibutor (and I have, constructively) in the past, maybe offer some reasons because from what I can see it was because she was a girl and a bit annoying. Which doesn’t really tell us anything except she had your back up from the off for having the temerity to be a girl on a football podcast.

'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19682 on: December 11, 2018, 02:47:50 pm »
Words can have more than one meaning.  Someone saying ‘girls’ plainly isn’t (usually) offensive, unless you’re trying to make a point.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19683 on: December 11, 2018, 02:48:31 pm »
Horseshit. Listened to it back as I enjoyed the show first time but was distracted as shopping - I find it hard to believe she contributed less than John Milburn or John Gibbons and all three were just having a happy conversation about being top of the league. Please listen again and tell us the comments that she made that were so annoying compared to the stuff the male contributors made. You’re welcome to your opinion, but if we’re going to critique a contibutor (and I have, constructively) in the past, maybe offer some reasons because from what I can see it was because she was a girl and a bit annoying. Which doesn’t really tell us anything except she had your back up from the off for having the temerity to be a girl on a football podcast.

Jesus Christ.

Mate I wasn’t slagging her off, I simply said I didn’t enjoy the show, the show being all 3 of them, and I found her especially annoying. I’m not critiquing her, it’s a show, it’s up to me whether I want to listen to it and whether I want to like it, and it’s up to me to politely say that on a thread about that show.

I’m aware the pink is usually meant to be a light hearted show, but it usually offers more by way of serious discussion than Saturday’s did. I honestly can’t remember exactly what was said because I wasn’t expecting to have to justify myself for fear of being accused of being sexist, but from memory her going on about Alisson for ages without actually saying anything that I wanted to listen to was probably it. If you listened and enjoyed then fair enough, I didn’t which is why I switched off. You’re probably right in that none of the 3 of them said much to be honest.

I totally resent the inclination it’s because she’s a woman though as it has nothing to do with it. I love Mel Reddys shows for example and if you compare the two contributors maybe that will tie you why I wasn’t a fan on Saturday.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19684 on: December 11, 2018, 02:51:29 pm »
Girls is the female form of ‘guys’.
not really, I tend to use the phrase ‘guys’ to describe a group of people, e.g. are all you guys in accounts coming out tonight (obviously i don’t want the boring fucks to come out, but I’m polite)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #19685 on: December 11, 2018, 04:40:22 pm »
Put it to the females (that's still OK I hope) of RAWK. I'm pretty sure girls is perfectly acceptable, I might be wrong.

I personally am not offended by it but I do know other women who are, mainly because they find it a tad patronising I think. It's a weird one as there isn't really a catch-all equivalent maybe for a group of solely women that fits most situations. Maybe 'ladies' but that can sound a bit sleazy...!

I'm not keen on 'guys' though, which a former boss of mine used to address us (mixed sex) by. I just want to say it in a "hey you guys" Goonies voice all the time. I guess it's the best option though.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19686 on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:34 pm »
Fuck me there's some right sensitive boys and girls in here isn't there?

In Liverpool people call each other girls and boys. I'll greet a group of men with 'Alright boys?' the same way I have in the past and heard people say 'Alright girl?' to a woman or Alright girls?' to a group of women. Nothing demeaning meant in it at all

I'm certainly not going to say fucking lasses like a wool. People need to get the fuck over themselves

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19687 on: December 11, 2018, 04:52:21 pm »
Where do you draw the line? As the way it’s going people will be offended by literally anything.

On the top of the league show last night they were joking about Cook having a bad few minutes during the game on Saturday and someone said his ‘bird’ left him. Is that offensive? As it obviously isn’t meant to be but if you strip it back and always every way it could be portrayed then you can make an argument for it being offensive.

If you say something to a person or group of people and intentionally do it in a patronising way then yes I can see how that is offensive. But that’s about the way it’s said more than the word itself.

I honestly think if anyone genuinely gets offended by the collective gender term used then they need to get a fucking grip, it’s mental.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #19688 on: December 11, 2018, 04:53:01 pm »

In Liverpool people call each other girls and boys. I'll greet a group of men with 'Alright boys?' the same way I have in the past and heard people say 'Alright girl?' to a woman or Alright girls?' to a group of women. Nothing demeaning meant in it at all

I'm certainly not going to say fucking lasses like a wool. People need to get the fuck over themselves

Maybe it's a regional thing? You do hear 'boys' used around the country but I'm not sure I've heard 'girl' used outside Liverpool for older women.

For me it's up there with being called 'love' - I honestly couldn't care less but I do know women who find it highly offensive/patronising.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19689 on: December 11, 2018, 04:53:16 pm »

Thank you.

Some fucking sanity finally.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19690 on: December 11, 2018, 05:13:17 pm »
What is it with people calling women, girls. The contributor was an adult, just like the men on there, which funnily enough makes them a group of men and women.

Are you from Liverpool or have you spent a long time in the city?

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #19691 on: December 11, 2018, 05:28:06 pm »
Is using 'girls' and 'boys' to refer to groups of people not a bit different to the way we so often refer to a grown woman as a girl. It's common for people to refer to 'the boys', but would be a bit weird to refer to a grown man as a boy, singular.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #19692 on: December 11, 2018, 05:29:38 pm »
Put it to the females (that's still OK I hope) of RAWK. I'm pretty sure girls is perfectly acceptable, I might be wrong.

I have no problem with it.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #19693 on: December 11, 2018, 05:30:37 pm »
Referring to an adult person as a girl is demeaning and infantilising. Women have a hard enough time being taken seriously when talking sport, we can do our bit to make sure they feel respected.

It really isn't demeaning.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19694 on: December 11, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »
Can we revert to discussions about TAW now please folks :)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19695 on: December 12, 2018, 12:35:07 am »
I love it when Neil and Gibbo are excited - and yes we need to organize a whip round for Roma - we've badly ripped them off there haven't we - must owe them abar 50 mill maybe another 75 !!

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #19696 on: December 12, 2018, 10:48:51 am »

Thank you haha

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19697 on: December 12, 2018, 11:03:50 am »
I love it when Neil and Gibbo are excited - and yes we need to organize a whip round for Roma - we've badly ripped them off there haven't we - must owe them abar 50 mill maybe another 75 !!
I'd add Paul Senior to those two as well.  The talk about Alisson at the beginning was brilliant.

Great post match show last night

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19698 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:58 am »

Will do lad.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19699 on: December 12, 2018, 11:10:27 am »
Ben Johnson in cracking form on the post match pint  ;D ;D
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19700 on: December 12, 2018, 11:48:56 am »
Waiting for my mate outside the Blue Liver Building this morning, listening to last night's Pink.

Atko on the other side of the Strand. Mad seeing the bloke that's currently talking in your head

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #19701 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09:55 pm »
Ben Johnson in cracking form on the post match pint  ;D ;D

The Reina bit on match ratings...hahahaha

Nothing will top, for me, the show on Hodgson after the loss to Iceland betewen Atko, Nevin and Ben Johnson. Ben's description of Hodgson as the guy who kills Omar from The Wire.... :lmao :lmao :lmao
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19702 on: December 13, 2018, 02:17:17 pm »
Is using 'girls' and 'boys' to refer to groups of people not a bit different to the way we so often refer to a grown woman as a girl. It's common for people to refer to 'the boys', but would be a bit weird to refer to a grown man as a boy, singular.

In Liverpool its completely normal to say 'alright girl' etc. Funnily enough its a Liverpool podcast so erm..

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19703 on: December 13, 2018, 02:27:35 pm »
The Reina bit on match ratings...hahahaha

Nothing will top, for me, the show on Hodgson after the loss to Iceland betewen Atko, Nevin and Ben Johnson. Ben's description of Hodgson as the guy who kills Omar from The Wire.... :lmao :lmao :lmao

kin ell that sounds great, gonna have to try and dig that out of the archives!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19704 on: December 13, 2018, 04:44:12 pm »
Oh yes I am enjoying this fellow first up on the Friday Show.  Very sensible and realistic appraisal imo.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #19705 on: December 13, 2018, 06:20:28 pm »
Talking like Trent is out for 2/3 weeks on the friday show. Only info I can see on this is 'twitter ITKs'. It's one thing Gutman listening to them for a bit of transfer gossip but unless it's actually confirmed be good if TAW could not peddle rumours on injuries.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #19706 on: December 13, 2018, 06:29:25 pm »
Talking like Trent is out for 2/3 weeks on the friday show. Only info I can see on this is 'twitter ITKs'. It's one thing Gutman listening to them for a bit of transfer gossip but unless it's actually confirmed be good if TAW could not peddle rumours on injuries.

He’s not peddling a rumour
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19707 on: December 13, 2018, 06:35:15 pm »
He’s not peddling a rumour

Boooooo! I said "Booooooo!"

dammit

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #19708 on: December 13, 2018, 08:33:29 pm »

Sean Rogers tweeted earlier ‘Anyone know any RBs?’ So assume they know he is out for a bit :/

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19709 on: December 13, 2018, 10:08:28 pm »
So was Ste Armstrong busy or has he decided they've finally become shit enough that he can't be arsed with this TAW thing anymore?   ;D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19710 on: December 13, 2018, 10:58:10 pm »
The TAW Christmas piss-up.

:-*
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #19711 on: December 13, 2018, 11:09:47 pm »
AFQ this week :lmao :lmao
:D

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19712 on: December 14, 2018, 10:11:44 am »
Sean Rogers tweeted earlier ‘Anyone know any RBs?’ So assume they know he is out for a bit :/

The rumour is 6 weeks with broken bone in foot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19713 on: December 14, 2018, 10:12:03 am »
The rumour is 6 weeks

It’s not that long
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19714 on: December 14, 2018, 10:12:51 am »
^

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19715 on: December 14, 2018, 10:14:28 am »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19716 on: December 14, 2018, 03:52:57 pm »
iya, it's the team talk

Team talk not working for anyone else? The previous 3 working fine but nothing when i play the Team Talk  :'(
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19717 on: December 14, 2018, 04:02:01 pm »
It won’t download for me either.

Nice one

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #19718 on: December 14, 2018, 06:18:46 pm »
^ fixed

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #19719 on: December 14, 2018, 07:08:33 pm »
Mo Stewart seems to me to be a bit of an unsung TAW hero, great contributor who always speaks a lot of sense.