Author Topic: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2  (Read 66638 times)

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2
« Reply #720 on: February 15, 2022, 05:19:16 pm »
Mate I swear I have never felt levels of gaming euphoria quite like when I finally defeated Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne.

A huge highlight of my gaming career :)

He was a bastard him  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: February 15, 2022, 07:24:04 pm »
So glad i picked up DS again.  Its all coming flooding back and its surprising how much I've remembered. 

Already dispatched the first 2 bosses and made it to the undead parish.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: February 16, 2022, 08:27:43 am »
Enjoy it. I last replayed it at peak covid in spring of 2020. Enjoyed it immensely, almost finished NG+ as it was such a fun run. Fuck that black knight on the tower though. Utter asshole.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: February 16, 2022, 10:51:48 am »
My missus is out overnight tonight with the daughter.  After the footy I'm settling in for a mammoth DS session.  Will prop my eyes open with matchsticks at work tomorrow.  Sod it.

Just looking at some weapon stats online and saw a video pop up.  "How to beat the Capra Demon using only dung pies".  Made me laugh :)

I discovered the plunging/falling attack this time around which is brilliant.   Not sure how I missed that when I first played it.  I'm supremely confident I'm going to complete this game this time around.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: February 16, 2022, 11:08:24 am »
In my experience, if you get past S&O - game opens up and it becomes much, much easier. They were the chokepoint I quit on few times before. Do try and buff yourself up before facing them, maybe even go to the painted world to get more XP, or make small excursions to the catacombs - which aren't easy, but can be learned.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: February 16, 2022, 11:34:58 am »
In my experience, if you get past S&O - game opens up and it becomes much, much easier. They were the chokepoint I quit on few times before. Do try and buff yourself up before facing them, maybe even go to the painted world to get more XP, or make small excursions to the catacombs - which aren't easy, but can be learned.

When you say S&O, Do you mean Ornstein and Smough?

If so, these were the two fuckers that made me quit last time.  Although doing some research this time around,  think I fucked up with my route.

When I previously played this, I took the Master Key as my starting gift.  Therefore I was going into areas that I just wasn't ready for.  I think I may have ended up in Anor Londo slightly too early.

I'm really enjoying building a Cleric/Knight.  A mix of miracles and skull crushing with my Mace.  Will grab the Claymore when it becomes available too.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: February 16, 2022, 11:40:10 am »
Yeah, those two fucks.
You can look into bringing in sun-bro Solaire to help you with that fight, useless as he is, may be the difference.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: February 16, 2022, 11:59:08 am »
Yeah, those two fucks.
You can look into bringing in sun-bro Solaire to help you with that fight, useless as he is, may be the difference.

Yep, I tried it a few times with Solaire helping too.

The really annoying thing was/is - Not so much the boss fight but repeating the journey from the bonfire and then the two tough Royal Sentinels you have to kill before you go through the fog gate to O&S.   Only to get one hit killed and have to do it all over again. :(

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #728 on: February 16, 2022, 12:13:23 pm »

All very well saying the game opens up after Ornstein and Smough, but that's like 2/3 of the game done by that point ;D

Side note, this is useful list for DS1:
https://smcnabb.github.io/dark-souls-cheat-sheet/

:D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: February 16, 2022, 12:23:13 pm »
All very well saying the game opens up after Ornstein and Smough, but that's like 2/3 of the game done by that point ;D

Side note, this is useful list for DS1:
https://smcnabb.github.io/dark-souls-cheat-sheet/

haha very true Kash.  Sure id grinded my way through Sens Fortress and Blight town prior to O&S

Whatever though, this is a great GREAT game.  I played the Witcher 3 recently and got fed up of it. Not because it was too difficult, it was just tedious. (no offence to W3 fans)

DS takes over your life once you start playing. 

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #730 on: February 16, 2022, 12:30:19 pm »
haha very true Kash.  Sure id grinded my way through Sens Fortress and Blight town prior to O&S

Whatever though, this is a great GREAT game.  I played the Witcher 3 recently and got fed up of it. Not because it was too difficult, it was just tedious. (no offence to W3 fans)

DS takes over your life once you start playing. 

They're very different games for sure, I think the biggest critisism of Witcher 3 comes down to it's combat but it never really bothered me - fine for what it is. The world is very immersive and the narrative content, even in the 'side missions', is really top tier. It's the best open world game I've played, I suspect that will change on the 25th!

Soulsborne games do have a completely different draw about them though, I'm glad the world of Elden Ring is more 'hopeful' in feel because these games really drag you in and can become a bit much. A game of this size set in the Dark Souls universe would be a bit overwhelming.

Biggest thing I'm looking forward to is coming in fresh at launch, I played DS3 and DS1 many years after release so the game was over-documented by that point.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: February 16, 2022, 01:14:57 pm »
I hear ye mate and zillions of W3 fans cant be wrong.  I've already said in the W3 thread, its just me.

Even though I'm a product of the text based adventure generation from yesteryear, I found the W3 cut scenes and dialogue just too tedious. The combat was so easy.  I now know I should have played it on hardest difficulty to be fair.

I also agree about going into a new "Souls" game (Elden Ring) that is fresh, shiny and new.  The DS resources available are simply phenomenal.  Literally, NOTHING is left uncovered on the wiki pages.

If FromSoftware stick to their successful model, then they wont be bogging us down with a vast story arch, endless side-mission and time sapping cutscenes. 

Just watched some reviews of Elden Ring. OMG. It looks bloody ace.  One IGN tagline read "DARK SOULS, BUT BIGGER!".

Was just about to Pre-order but its out of stock on Amazon :(

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: February 17, 2022, 10:38:44 am »
Happy to hear you are making progress in DS, BP.  :)

I've never played any of the Dark Souls series, I might jump on them once I complete Elden Ring  ;D

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #733 on: February 17, 2022, 03:38:27 pm »
Any noise regarding the difficulty ? On a scale of reasonable to Sekiro levels of hair pulling.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #734 on: February 17, 2022, 03:42:08 pm »
Any noise regarding the difficulty ? On a scale of reasonable to Sekiro levels of hair pulling.

The devs have said they've tried to reduce player frustration, which I think comes with it being open world. If a boss is basically being a gatekeeper for your progression, you don't have to fight them 100 times, you can just get on the horse, ride somewhere else and take on whats there and level up that way. Then go back to the bottleneck boss a bit stronger and with other loot.

I remember DS1 and DS3 progression being a fork which usually just ended up at the same place anyway.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: February 17, 2022, 03:57:55 pm »
Sounds like I won't have to stock up on controllers then.  I've been playing Sekiro for nigh on a year and still haven't finished it.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: February 17, 2022, 04:20:34 pm »
Sounds like I won't have to stock up on controllers then.  I've been playing Sekiro for nigh on a year and still haven't finished it.
Where are you up to now? The worst boss in that for was the second to last one, I struggled more with the sub-bosses where you need 1000fps slow-mo, Neo-level reaction times to deflect their attacks ;D

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: February 17, 2022, 04:27:08 pm »
Where are you up to now? The worst boss in that for was the second to last one, I struggled more with the sub-bosses where you need 1000fps slow-mo, Neo-level reaction times to deflect their attacks ;D

Father Owl or whatever the dude is called.  I average around fifty attempts per boss I reckon, funnily enough that bastard bull early on gave me more trouble than some bosses.  I play it for a few days, then take a two week vacation before going back.  My missus isn't too keen on me swearing at inanimate objects in front of the kids.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: February 17, 2022, 04:34:30 pm »
Yes that's it, Father Owl up on the tower. I was using the Immortal Blade as my L1+R1, but after seeing a YouTube guide say to use the Ichimonji skill after you dodge his front flip attack, I had him beat in about 3 attempts. That's the one opening you get to do some big damage and keep his Posture up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 04:36:53 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: February 17, 2022, 05:03:46 pm »
Happy to hear you are making progress in DS, BP.  :)

I've never played any of the Dark Souls series, I might jump on them once I complete Elden Ring  ;D

I could have sword you Platinumed DS Andy?

Or was that Bloodborne?

Next boss up for me on DS is the Capra Demon.  As far as I remember he's not uber-difficult and don't think its too far from a bonfire either.

Last boss I did was the pair of Bell Gargoyles.  After a couple of failures solo, I summoned Solaire and Knight Lautrec. No fucking about on this run through, just get getting shit done.

I've been wondering why my parry>riposte wasn't coming off then realised today I've been pressing L1 instead of L2.  I'm now slaughtering Black Nights and suchlike with ease.  I love a tough enemy who is easily parryable. :)

Another thing I've learned this time is not to waste souls on levelling up stats that are no use to my character build.  Left INT, DEX, RES exactly as I started. 

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: February 17, 2022, 05:06:37 pm »
Capra isn't that tricky, but that whole area is so small and I'd more often die from poor camera movement than anything else.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: February 17, 2022, 05:20:59 pm »
Capra isn't that tricky, but that whole area is so small and I'd more often die from poor camera movement than anything else.

Not quite there yet but I do remember fighting him on a ledge or similar last time.

That journey through the town to get to him is quite nerve jangling. Rabid Dogs and Assassins jumping out at you.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: February 17, 2022, 06:04:39 pm »
I could have sword you Platinumed DS Andy?

Or was that Bloodborne?

Next boss up for me on DS is the Capra Demon.  As far as I remember he's not uber-difficult and don't think its too far from a bonfire either.

Last boss I did was the pair of Bell Gargoyles.  After a couple of failures solo, I summoned Solaire and Knight Lautrec. No fucking about on this run through, just get getting shit done.

I've been wondering why my parry>riposte wasn't coming off then realised today I've been pressing L1 instead of L2.  I'm now slaughtering Black Nights and suchlike with ease.  I love a tough enemy who is easily parryable. :)

Another thing I've learned this time is not to waste souls on levelling up stats that are no use to my character build.  Left INT, DEX, RES exactly as I started.

I’ve platinumed Bloodborne, Sekiro and Demons Souls in that order mate  ;)

I won’t be going for platinums on Elden ring or dark souls when I get round to them, it’s too stressful!

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #743 on: February 18, 2022, 01:31:50 am »
I’ve platinumed Bloodborne, Sekiro and Demons Souls in that order mate  ;)

I won’t be going for platinums on Elden ring or dark souls when I get round to them, it’s too stressful!

Online Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: February 18, 2022, 11:50:57 am »
I hear ye mate and zillions of W3 fans cant be wrong.  I've already said in the W3 thread, its just me.

Even though I'm a product of the text based adventure generation from yesteryear, I found the W3 cut scenes and dialogue just too tedious. The combat was so easy.  I now know I should have played it on hardest difficulty to be fair.

I also agree about going into a new "Souls" game (Elden Ring) that is fresh, shiny and new.  The DS resources available are simply phenomenal.  Literally, NOTHING is left uncovered on the wiki pages.

If FromSoftware stick to their successful model, then they wont be bogging us down with a vast story arch, endless side-mission and time sapping cutscenes. 

Just watched some reviews of Elden Ring. OMG. It looks bloody ace.  One IGN tagline read "DARK SOULS, BUT BIGGER!".

Was just about to Pre-order but its out of stock on Amazon :(
Don't know what console you're on, but the launch edition is in stock here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elden-Ring-Launch-Edition-PS5/dp/B09L1X8WV3/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=ZgPZ3&pf_rd_p=e2c0fcef-a0e3-4af2-b348-a5d74ee828c8&pf_rd_r=03K1SKZSYDKA6MQHM0W2&pd_rd_r=417bd2d9-fe65-4274-a2b6-b3f2f98e8263&pd_rd_wg=J1MEK&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

£45.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: February 18, 2022, 11:56:57 am »

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: February 18, 2022, 12:08:56 pm »
I've only played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Had a big pause from gaming during the entire last gen. As I'm now on Xbox without access to Bloodborne, which other Souls game should I give a go ahead of others. DS2, DS3 or Sekiro?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #747 on: February 18, 2022, 12:57:39 pm »
I've only played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Had a big pause from gaming during the entire last gen. As I'm now on Xbox without access to Bloodborne, which other Souls game should I give a go ahead of others. DS2, DS3 or Sekiro?

DS3 is arguably the best of the Souls games though I appreciate the nostalgia for (and superior level design of) DS1, Sekiro might provide more headaches.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:10:26 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: February 20, 2022, 07:15:18 am »

Play DS3 and Sekiro as Elden Ring is likely going to be a mix of the two.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: February 20, 2022, 06:16:47 pm »
Christ I forget how difficult the very first move against the Capra Demon was.  Took me half dozen attempts to remember you have to block and dodge right immediately after going through the fog gate.   Kill his two rabid dogs then bye bye Mr Capra :)

The run from the bonfire to the Capra fog gate was a fucking pain too.  Until I opened up a much easier shortcut through the aqueduct in the undead burg.

One thing i have done this time which i didn't do last time was use Firekeeper Souls to upgrade and reinforce my Estus flask.  My Estus flask is +2 now which makes a huge difference to health replenishment.

Spent a bit of time messing about killing the Hellkite Bridge Wyvern too which was good fun.  Unnecessary for story progression but worth 10K souls, a Drake Sword and a free passage across the bridge without getting me ass fried in future.

Currently in "The Depths" ready to fight the Gaping Dragon.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #750 on: February 22, 2022, 02:23:49 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qqiC88f9ogU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qqiC88f9ogU</a>

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: February 22, 2022, 02:37:50 pm »
Wow

It's playable in a couple of days. Those crazy bastards actually did it!

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: February 22, 2022, 02:38:19 pm »
Everyone decided what Class they're playing? I've pre-ordered it despite never playing any FromSoft games...wondering if I should do some research ready for release
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: February 22, 2022, 02:50:03 pm »
The class only really affects your starting stats, here's the slightly spoilery list of starting stats for anyone who cares about min/maxing.

Once you've played the game for 2 hours and beaten a boss its irrelevant what you opened up as.

Spoiler
[close]

Naked fucker with a stick (called Wretch in ER) is usually what everyone goes in the second playthrough.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: February 22, 2022, 07:28:45 pm »
Naked fucker with a stick (called Wretch in ER) is usually what everyone goes in the second playthrough.

Much of the time during Souls I'm naked, bar a helmet and a sword.

My character on the other hand has full armour a weapon and a shield. :)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: February 23, 2022, 01:06:33 am »
Going for Hero as I always like to 2H Greatswords and avoid shields.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: February 24, 2022, 02:33:42 pm »
Right guys.  How do i get my hands on Sunlight Medals

Playing as a Faith build Cleric Knight.   Currently have 25 FTH

Need 10 of the these bloody medals to level up my rank in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant to +1.  Then I can get my hands on "Great Lightning Spear" miracle.

I managed to collect 2 on my travels and there are 3 hidden in a chest in Anor Londo.  So I essentially need 5 more

Wiki says this is one of the ways to get a sunlight medal. Can anyone explain what this is please?  I'm not very good with multiplayer :(

Be a member of the Warrior of Sunlight and beat a boss with the host in co-op.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: February 24, 2022, 02:53:09 pm »
Right guys.  How do i get my hands on Sunlight Medals

Playing as a Faith build Cleric Knight.   Currently have 25 FTH

Need 10 of the these bloody medals to level up my rank in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant to +1.  Then I can get my hands on "Great Lightning Spear" miracle.

I managed to collect 2 on my travels and there are 3 hidden in a chest in Anor Londo.  So I essentially need 5 more

Wiki says this is one of the ways to get a sunlight medal. Can anyone explain what this is please?  I'm not very good with multiplayer :(

Be a member of the Warrior of Sunlight and beat a boss with the host in co-op.
I think you either need to summon or be summoned by a fellow Sun covenant members and then beat a boss with them. You must be online, and Sun covenant members have Golden summon signs. You can also summon Solaire but he’ll only be able to help you with certain bosses.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: February 24, 2022, 03:16:31 pm »
I think you either need to summon or be summoned by a fellow Sun covenant members and then beat a boss with them. You must be online, and Sun covenant members have Golden summon signs.

If I've already defeated a boss during my campaign, Lets say, The Gaping Dragon for instance.  Can I still go and fight it again in a co-op multiplayer game. Get the medal then carry on with my single player game?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: February 24, 2022, 03:36:44 pm »
If I've already defeated a boss during my campaign, Lets say, The Gaping Dragon for instance.  Can I still go and fight it again in a co-op multiplayer game. Get the medal then carry on with my single player game?
Yes, you can drop your summon sign and hope another Sun covenant player summons you for the boss that they’ve not defeated yet. Might be worth looking at most popular summon spots if you’re just looking to farm the medals.