Author Topic: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2  (Read 67001 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2
« Reply #600 on: October 16, 2014, 07:44:17 am »
Think if you absolve your sins with the fella near the first bell you can buy off any traders you've pissed off, might cost you a few souls though

Unless they can bring him back to life I am a bit stuck.  I had to fight him as I couldn't get up to the Gaping Dragon or to Blighttown doors without him attacking me. I had to kill poor Domhnall of Zena :(

Wouldn't mind leveling my Strength up to 50 so I can use the Dragon King Greataxe i got by cutting off the gaping Dragon tail.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: October 16, 2014, 08:05:41 am »
Unless they can bring him back to life I am a bit stuck.  I had to fight him as I couldn't get up to the Gaping Dragon or to Blighttown doors without him attacking me. I had to kill poor Domhnall of Zena :(

Wouldn't mind leveling my Strength up to 50 so I can use the Dragon King Greataxe i got by cutting off the gaping Dragon tail.

Its not hard to go through the depths just you need lots of those purple blossoms to cure poison amd when you get to blightown you fight on whats basically massive scaffolding that its too easy to fall off.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: October 16, 2014, 08:15:22 am »
I'm still using the Drake Sword.  Not really found it necessary to use anything else.

Does there come a time when I have to think about a better weapon?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:17:22 am by Buck Pete »

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #603 on: October 16, 2014, 08:46:03 am »
I'm still using the Drake Sword.  Not really found it necessary to use anything else.

Does there come a time when I have to think about a better weapon?
Yes, drake sword is probably fine until you clear Sen's. It becomes pretty useless after that though. In Sen's you'll be able to pick up about 5/6 large shards, so choose a weapon other than the drake that you like and upgrade it before you take on Anor Londo.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: October 16, 2014, 08:48:44 am »
Yes, drake sword is probably fine until you clear Sen's. It becomes pretty useless after that though. In Sen's you'll be able to pick up about 5/6 large shards, so choose a weapon other than the drake that you like and upgrade it before you take on Anor Londo.

Cheers LL. Ive already got a Battle Axe upgraded to +5 and its still 60 points off the Drake Sword!!

Any other good recommendations for my next weapon?  There is so much choice when it comes to weapons.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: October 16, 2014, 08:58:20 am »
You could kill the undead merchant in the undead burg. He drops a Sweet katana which is a great weapon. Also which ever weapon you use, check the scaling of it. Different weapons scale with different stats. Like strength, dexterity etcetera...so the more points you put into a state like dexterity, the more damage your weapon will do. You'll get the hang of it :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: October 16, 2014, 09:15:07 am »
You could kill the undead merchant in the undead burg. He drops a Sweet katana which is a great weapon. Also which ever weapon you use, check the scaling of it. Different weapons scale with different stats. Like strength, dexterity etcetera...so the more points you put into a state like dexterity, the more damage your weapon will do. You'll get the hang of it :D

Have you got a link or explanation to the stat scaling on a weapon please mate? I'm really confused

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:43 am »
I don't right now mate. But I'll try and find something later. Just know that if a weapon has a B scaling with strength, the more points you put into strength, the more damage you will do. Different weapons scale with different stats though. Dexterity is also important to level up. I'll try find something later for you.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: October 16, 2014, 10:08:10 am »
I don't right now mate. But I'll try and find something later. Just know that if a weapon has a B scaling with strength, the more points you put into strength, the more damage you will do. Different weapons scale with different stats though. Dexterity is also important to level up. I'll try find something later for you.

No problems mate don't worry about it. Google was my friend and Ive found a WIKI that explains Weapon Scaling and Parameter Bonuses in full. I will absorb that before deciding on my next weapon and upgrade route.

cheers :wave

Blighttown here I come :)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2014, 12:52:50 pm »
Been having a good look at how the Parameter bonus works and how it adds damage to you weapon. Understand it now. I also notice that the parameter bonus is taken into account when you view your weapon stats in the game anyway!!  There is a '+xx' figure alongside your weapons base damage figure. So all good.

I'm building my character mainly on strength now so think I'll grab the Butchers Knife from Man-eater Mildred (if i can find her in the Blighttown Swamp)

A +15 Butchers Knife has a base damage of 225 with an 'A' Strength Parameter Bonus.  With strength around 30 or 40 I should be getting an attack rate of between 360-400 from that knife in a single hand :lickin

Ok that's enough of that . On with the game :)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2014, 01:43:04 pm »
Yeah, that's a great weapon for strength build. BTW if you're human in blight town you'll find her.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #611 on: October 16, 2014, 05:39:46 pm »
Been having a good look at how the Parameter bonus works and how it adds damage to you weapon. Understand it now. I also notice that the parameter bonus is taken into account when you view your weapon stats in the game anyway!!  There is a '+xx' figure alongside your weapons base damage figure. So all good.

I'm building my character mainly on strength now so think I'll grab the Butchers Knife from Man-eater Mildred (if i can find her in the Blighttown Swamp)

A +15 Butchers Knife has a base damage of 225 with an 'A' Strength Parameter Bonus.  With strength around 30 or 40 I should be getting an attack rate of between 360-400 from that knife in a single hand :lickin

Ok that's enough of that . On with the game :)

mildred's easy to find, if you can make it to the swamp in human form you'll get invaded straight away, if you're not human then keep the wall to your left and follow it until you see a tunnel, there's a bonfire inside so you can regain humanity then mildred will invade as soon as you leave the fire

i'd recommend the black knight halberd (dropped by black knight near darkroot basin bonfire, there's a couple more that drop them but are later in the game unless you fancy going into the tomb of the giants now ;) ) you'll need over 30 strength (can't remember the exact amount) to one hand it but it's a great weapon that deals tons of damage, combine it with the eagle shield and you can more or less tank the whole game

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: October 16, 2014, 06:26:09 pm »
Can I just pop in and say...   fuck Blighttown!  :D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: October 16, 2014, 07:02:04 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oUSj0leRq4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1oUSj0leRq4</a>

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: October 16, 2014, 11:17:19 pm »
Can I just pop in and say...   fuck Blighttown!  :D
Ha ha, Yeah!  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: October 17, 2014, 12:48:07 am »
I simply cannot beat the Stray Demon Boss in the Undead Asylum revisit.  Gonna come back when I have got a better weapon so i can get his health down quicker.

Watched YouTube vids and everything but just cant seem to last more than 2 minutes. :(

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: October 17, 2014, 07:03:12 am »
I simply cannot beat the Stray Demon Boss in the Undead Asylum revisit.  Gonna come back when I have got a better weapon so i can get his health down quicker.

Watched YouTube vids and everything but just cant seem to last more than 2 minutes. :(

try using a black knight weapon if you've got one and have the stats to use it or use charcoal pine resin on a weapon, if you struggle to beat him best bet is to get the rusted iron ring from the asylum then go back to firelink shrine and forget about the stray demon until you've levelled up a bit, he's definitely worth going back to kill as he drops a titanite slab

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: October 17, 2014, 08:22:07 am »
I've got a black knight sword but not good enough stats to use it yet. Yeah think I'll come back to the stray demon later.

Been practicing using my Parry/riposte and killed the 3 Black Knights in the Undead Asylum with ease using it. The Target shield is ace for Parry/Riposte. So rewarding when it comes off :)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: October 17, 2014, 08:50:16 am »
I've got a black knight sword but not good enough stats to use it yet. Yeah think I'll come back to the stray demon later.

Been practicing using my Parry/riposte and killed the 3 Black Knights in the Undead Asylum with ease using it. The Target shield is ace for Parry/Riposte. So rewarding when it comes off :)
Good work. That practice will come in handy one day.  :wave

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: October 17, 2014, 09:38:17 am »
quick tip; if you want to drop the difficulty down a notch then a spellsword build is pretty much cheat mode in this game. Go for a decent wand, a weapon with low requirements that scales to intelligence, then focus on leveling up INT, Attunement, VIT and END. Once you start getting Crystal magic you will walk through the game. I killed the end game boss with 2 shots. It makes the second half of the game no challenge at all so only go for it if you fancy an easy experience.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:45 am »
quick tip; if you want to drop the difficulty down a notch then a spellsword build is pretty much cheat mode in this game. Go for a decent wand, a weapon with low requirements that scales to intelligence, then focus on leveling up INT, Attunement, VIT and END. Once you start getting Crystal magic you will walk through the game. I killed the end game boss with 2 shots. It makes the second half of the game no challenge at all so only go for it if you fancy an easy experience.

Might be a good shout that mate when I run through hoovering up the trophies/achievements.  Cheers.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: October 23, 2014, 04:42:48 pm »
mildred's easy to find, if you can make it to the swamp in human form you'll get invaded straight away, if you're not human then keep the wall to your left and follow it until you see a tunnel, there's a bonfire inside so you can regain humanity then mildred will invade as soon as you leave the fire

Just made it to the bonfire at Blighttown swamp :)

Lets see if I can get that Butchers knife from Mildred now

Edit: Got it :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:03:44 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »
demon's souls is £4 on the psn store

well worth it for those who haven't played it yet

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: October 28, 2014, 05:07:13 pm »
Fucking Hell. Had a nightmare beating The Chaos Witch Quaalag.  Finally done it though.

Ended up stripping completely naked and carried nothing but my +6 Battle Axe and 10 Etus flasks.

The mobility having no Armour or Shield gives you for some of the Boss fights is great and I could easily dodge her attacks, run away then sneak in with a few big old two handed strikes.

Really wanted to beat that bitch before I headed off to the match :)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:23 am »
Fucking Hell. Had a nightmare beating The Chaos Witch Quaalag.  Finally done it though.

Ended up stripping completely naked and carried nothing but my +6 Battle Axe and 10 Etus flasks.

The mobility having no Armour or Shield gives you for some of the Boss fights is great and I could easily dodge her attacks, run away then sneak in with a few big old two handed strikes.

Really wanted to beat that bitch before I headed off to the match :)

Good work  :)

Now you have a few choices of where to go...into Sens Fun house or down below to the Catacombs...I think the catacombs might be best, because when you beat the boss down there you can max kindle your bonfires to 20 flasks. If you need any advice, give us a shout  :wave

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: October 29, 2014, 08:28:04 am »
Also if you are going into the Catacombs, bring lots of arrows, in fact you should always have lots of arrows!  ;D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:02 am »
Also if you are going into the Catacombs, bring lots of arrows, in fact you should always have lots of arrows!  ;D

and a divine weapon for the skeletons, you can get away without one when you know your way around and where the necromancers are but first run through it's easier to put the skeletons out of their misery instead of having them continually coming back to life

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: October 29, 2014, 11:10:41 am »
and a divine weapon for the skeletons, you can get away without one when you know your way around and where the necromancers are but first run through it's easier to put the skeletons out of their misery instead of having them continually coming back to life

Already decided on Sens Fortress next lads but if you STRONGLY suggest Catacombs then that's what I will do.

Firstly I'm going to do some Large Titanite Farming down in Blighttown swamp to get my Butcher Knife up to +10

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: October 29, 2014, 11:15:14 am »

Yeah, true!

Already decided on Sens Fortress next lads but if you STRONGLY suggest Catacombs then that's what I will do.

Firstly I'm going to do some Large Titanite Farming down in Blighttown swamp to get my Butcher Knife up to +10

That'll work too! We want updates on your adventures in Sens though  ;D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:54 pm »
can't remember off the top of my head but don't you need to do sen's fortress first anyway so you can get to anor londo and get the lord vessel?

don't think you can fight nito if you haven't placed it which makes going into the catacombs pointless, also before you go down there i'd get the sunlight maggot otherwise once you get to the tomb of giants you'll either need to use a lantern which takes up a weapon slot or learn the cast light spell which might need you to level up your intelligence and can only be used 3 times between resting at fires, think each use lasts 5 mins though which is enough to get you through the area once you know where you're going, check solaire's section in the wiki for instructions on how to get the maggot if you need it

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: October 29, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »
No. You can do the catacombs part straight away if you like. Nito is tomb of the giants.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: October 29, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »
Ive rang the two bells of awaking and to be honest I don't really know what is am Supposed to be doing in regards to story progression. I know I can go down through the graveyard or into Sens Fortress.

Edit:  Actually forget that, it appears that Kingseeker Frampt at the Firelink Shrine will reveal more of my quest now I have rang the Bells.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:53:06 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: October 29, 2014, 04:28:35 pm »
Ive rang the two bells of awaking and to be honest I don't really know what is am Supposed to be doing in regards to story progression. I know I can go down through the graveyard or into Sens Fortress.

Edit:  Actually forget that, it appears that Kingseeker Frampt at the Firelink Shrine will reveal more of my quest now I have rang the Bells.

It's perfectly normal to be wondering WTF is going on playing DS the first time (and probably not just the first time round). But yes Frampt will give you some idea. Just remember not to run around with loads of souls and humanity on you, as you are very likely to lose them. Level up, Buy upgrade material and arrows to reduce the souls you might have on you and kindle bonfires as much as possible to reduce your humanity counter, although with 10 humanity in your on screen counter, your item discovery will increase from fallen foes...

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: October 29, 2014, 11:02:16 pm »
No. You can do the catacombs part straight away if you like. Nito is tomb of the giants.

but then you have to backtrack to firelink shrine after beating pinwheel, on ng+ you might need to do it if you need to get to the skeleton weaponsmith for an upgrade but can't think of anything you can use down there after ringing the 2nd bell on the first run through, i'd say go to anor londo and beat ornstein & smough to get the lordvessel then take it from there as you can teleport between fires once you've got it

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: October 30, 2014, 07:34:16 am »
but then you have to backtrack to firelink shrine after beating pinwheel, on ng+ you might need to do it if you need to get to the skeleton weaponsmith for an upgrade but can't think of anything you can use down there after ringing the 2nd bell on the first run through, i'd say go to anor londo and beat ornstein & smough to get the lordvessel then take it from there as you can teleport between fires once you've got it

I'd normally homeward bone after beating Pinwheel, you get a homeward bone after beating him. He is also the easiest boss in the game, but getting to him is slightly more difficult. Then you can max kindle your bonfires to 20 flasks. But that's the beauty of Dark Souls, there are so many different ways of doing things!

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46:07 pm »

the depths is good for farming large titanite as well, leave the room with the bonfire and sprint through the next room so the slimes drop from the ceiling then just work back to the fire killing them, to speed things up I'd go into sen's fortress and get the serpent ring which boosts item discovery and stack it with 10 humanity, the rats in the depths are good for farming humanity if you need it, might be worth putting a few points into faith if you don't mind grinding so you can use the homeward miracle which helps speed farming runs up

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: November 12, 2014, 10:07:37 am »
Sens Fortress was a bit of a bitch but good fun all the same. Defeated the Iron Golum boss first time. Once again stripped naked and went at him 2 handed with my +10 Butcher Knife. These attacks soon finished him off. 

Spent some time upgrading my armour and stuff the most I could. Now ready for Anor londo and finding the Lordvessel.

I believe i can pick up a Very Large Ember somewhere in Anor Londo, so I can finally get my Weapon maxed out :)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: November 12, 2014, 10:13:15 am »
Actually, just realized the Very Large Ember is in New Londo Ruins.

Fish77, LL - Should i go there now or would you suggest Anor Londo and getting the Lordvessel first?

cheers :wave

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »
Thought you gave up  :) You could continue into anor londo. Just spend all your souls first  :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2014, 12:13:35 pm »
Thought you gave up  :) You could continue into anor londo. Just spend all your souls first  :wave

No way. Just finding time to sneak off work to play it, coupled with the house being empty :)