Author Topic: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never  (Read 503207 times)

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
Re: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never
« Reply #960 on: April 3, 2011, 11:31:20 pm »
spearing spends most of his time pointing and directing ,sorry but he hasn't reached that level to be doing that .

Well at least he is communicating. But he was positionally quite  poor.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #961 on: April 3, 2011, 11:56:09 pm »
Well at least he is communicating. But he was positionally quite  poor.

Just watched the west brom game again( don't ask why) but that point is very apparent. At time he left quite a big gap behind him when going to close a player down only to not do anything at all and the players made runs behind him. Pointing stuff does annoy me, id rather he move into space and show for the ball rather than point the ball away from himself.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #962 on: April 4, 2011, 12:09:22 am »
The lad has a lot of heart and clearly loves the the club and gives his all, but i'm afraid you need much more to your game to that if you want to succeed at the vey top.

you can say the same thing for Lucas
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #963 on: April 4, 2011, 12:13:50 am »

Except Lucas actually has that something more to succeed at the top level...

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #964 on: April 4, 2011, 12:32:45 am »
Still a work in progress.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #965 on: April 4, 2011, 12:57:39 am »

You need a football education. There is a reason top class managers pick him without exception. Of course you don't understand football past a superficial level as well as possessing the ignorance that comes with only viewing football in one way. Lucas is above your head but that wouldn't be the case if you opened your self to other perspectives on how to play football.

Does the fact that xabi, molby, rafa, kenny, mano menezes all rate him highly mean nothing to you. Surely you would concede that maybe you are wrong. You can't honestly believe that you understand football better than them, can you?

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline elfonzo

• Main Stander
  • my dad will smash ur dad
« Reply #966 on: April 4, 2011, 12:58:23 am »
Nobody can doubt his commitment - his ability on the other hand can certainly be questioned

exactly, if i played for LFC id be just as commited, its not enough though. i wuda loved it if shelvey was fit, he might have got a look in with stevie g being out
wack MC skills leave me struck
cos i roll with my kitties and im hurd as fek

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: April 4, 2011, 12:59:40 am »
Still a work in progress.

Which I agree with but it depends on what level you have him at now. I think he a very good footballer who still has the potential to be top class. Bringing back pass and move will only facilitate his development.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: April 4, 2011, 01:02:25 am »
No one is saying he's good enough to be a regular but there is no other option at the moment so just pipe down and support the lad.

It was only last week he was the new Gerrard because he played well against Sunderland, bunch of c*nts.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: April 4, 2011, 01:06:54 am »
Adams will come in for Spear next season....
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline B_I_F

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #970 on: April 4, 2011, 01:09:14 am »
Adams will come in for Spear next season....
Tony Adams?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #971 on: April 4, 2011, 01:11:46 am »
Tony Adams?

Sorry as S too many.... :0  Charlie
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #972 on: April 4, 2011, 01:27:13 am »
No one is saying he's good enough to be a regular but there is no other option at the moment so just pipe down and support the lad.

It was only last week he was the new Gerrard because he played well against Sunderland, bunch of c*nts.

Such hyperbole does your argument no favours

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #973 on: April 4, 2011, 01:28:00 am »

Which idiots thought he was the new Gerrard last week? Some people clearly know nothing about football if they thought that!
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #974 on: April 4, 2011, 02:33:24 am »
Which I agree with but it depends on what level you have him at now. I think he a very good footballer who still has the potential to be top class. Bringing back pass and move will only facilitate his development.

I'm sorry mate but I think that is a little over the top. I was happy for him last week after the Sunderland game, his best for us. Before then I was sceptical, afterwards still so but happy in the knowledge he could actually put in a very good performance. But he isn't physical enough, nor does he have the footballing ability to become ' top class '. Top class you are talking Iniesta, Xabi, Alonso, Fabregas etc ( I'm not comparing him to them, nor am I saying you did ). But that is the top bracket, and he will never ever be near there I'm afraid. I'd love him to succeed, and part of me is a little naive and thinks he can but I just can't see it. Good passing, decent engine, gives his all. But not for us.

And a little sidenote: not just on the Spearing issue, but any player who has a bad game. Can people stop fucking saying ' Yeah but noone else played well today, so you can't single him out for a bad game '. No you can, because you are probably in the players thread and talking about said player individually. Just because the team played bad, doesn't mean you can't say ' Oh doesn't matter that * Carragher was shit, everyone was so it's alright '. No, it doesn't work like that. A players individual performance can be criticized as well as his role in the teams one. Yes, the team's performance can have an impact on the players individually, but we know that and that isn't the issue. We can talk about why he played bad, or why he wasn't involved, and that may or may not be because of the way the team played.

Sorry for the rant.

* Could be any player.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: April 4, 2011, 02:42:08 am »
Don't think he's a bad player. Could see him as a squad player, but he's very average. I think he lacks bite, and goes missing for large parts of the game too often.

I'm not slating him, but I just don't think there's a regular place for him at Liverpool, not with Lucas anyway. Spearing offers little creativity, and him and Lucas playing in the centre together basically NULIFYS our midfield. It's not a fault of the lads. Kenny obviously sees something in him, but our central midfield is lacking in depth. We need to strengthen before we get rid.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #976 on: April 4, 2011, 02:58:14 am »

I don't know if its hyperbole mate.

A lad in work is convinved 'Speo' is the new Gerrard after his sunderland performance.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #977 on: April 4, 2011, 03:46:06 am »
still on the fence about Spearing. best be if we can loan him out to a smaller PL club or a top championship club.

Offline hairykewell

• In BR we trust!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Pass and Move is back!
« Reply #978 on: April 4, 2011, 03:57:38 am »
still on the fence about Spearing. best be if we can loan him out to a smaller PL club or a top championship club.

if you take away the Sunderland match you have no reason to be sitting on the fence, the guy is average and doesn't matter how committed he always will be.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #979 on: April 4, 2011, 04:19:41 am »
I'm sorry mate but I think that is a little over the top. I was happy for him last week after the Sunderland game, his best for us. Before then I was sceptical, afterwards still so but happy in the knowledge he could actually put in a very good performance. But he isn't physical enough, nor does he have the footballing ability to become ' top class '. Top class you are talking Iniesta, Xabi, Alonso, Fabregas etc ( I'm not comparing him to them, nor am I saying you did ). But that is the top bracket, and he will never ever be near there I'm afraid. I'd love him to succeed, and part of me is a little naive and thinks he can but I just can't see it. Good passing, decent engine, gives his all. But not for us.

And a little sidenote: not just on the Spearing issue, but any player who has a bad game. Can people stop fucking saying ' Yeah but noone else played well today, so you can't single him out for a bad game '. No you can, because you are probably in the players thread and talking about said player individually. Just because the team played bad, doesn't mean you can't say ' Oh doesn't matter that * Carragher was shit, everyone was so it's alright '. No, it doesn't work like that. A players individual performance can be criticized as well as his role in the teams one. Yes, the team's performance can have an impact on the players individually, but we know that and that isn't the issue. We can talk about why he played bad, or why he wasn't involved, and that may or may not be because of the way the team played.

Sorry for the rant.

* Could be any player.

Well by top class I mean a great footballer. The players you have listed I designate as world class. He may never reach that level, few do. Xavi is in a class by himself, he is my favorite player and could make any side work because of his ability to create space for himself where seemingly none exists. Alonso is also in a class by himself but he is different player.

Now, I respect your post but you cannot state opinion as fact. You think he will never reach the elite level and that is fair but I believe he can as long as the side commit the pass and move philosophy, which means every player is able to support the attack. We don't do it consistently enough but watching him pull the strings for Brazil against Scotland was awesome. He always had a pass on which let gave him confidence to turn out of trouble instead of releasing the ball to get rid of it. He was also making great diagonal balls and was generally a joy to watch. I think we can create the same sort of quality here. We just need to invest smartly and get players who firstly fit the system and just as importantly are of quality talent.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: April 4, 2011, 07:52:46 am »
We used to have a midfield of Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard - and incidentally, that trio weren't quite enough to propel us to the league.

If we're discussing a player playing in midfield for Liverpool Football Club, that's the yardstick.
Or McMahon, Whelan and Molby.
Or Souness, Case, McDermott.

Let's not compare them to a player whose so off the pace it's painful - but who also happens to captain Denmark.
Let's compare them to the very best players and judge them.

Spearing has no place at a club wanting to win serious trophies - so make your choices, are we pissing about hoping for a lucky cup win and the odd stab at 4th, or are we serious?
« Last Edit: April 4, 2011, 07:54:33 am by BobbyDavro »

Offline 4-2-3-1

• dyscalculic
  • Kopite
« Reply #981 on: April 4, 2011, 07:59:55 am »
Not good enough. Never was, never will be. Only getting a look in due to his attitude, which to be fair, is excellent.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: April 4, 2011, 08:01:41 am »
Surprised to see him starting. Should never be a starter imho.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: April 4, 2011, 08:03:11 am »
Well by top class I mean a great footballer. The players you have listed I designate as world class. He may never reach that level, few do. Xavi is in a class by himself, he is my favorite player and could make any side work because of his ability to create space for himself where seemingly none exists. Alonso is also in a class by himself but he is different player.

Now, I respect your post but you cannot state opinion as fact. You think he will never reach the elite level and that is fair but I believe he can as long as the side commit the pass and move philosophy, which means every player is able to support the attack. We don't do it consistently enough but watching him pull the strings for Brazil against Scotland was awesome. He always had a pass on which let gave him confidence to turn out of trouble instead of releasing the ball to get rid of it. He was also making great diagonal balls and was generally a joy to watch. I think we can create the same sort of quality here. We just need to invest smartly and get players who firstly fit the system and just as importantly are of quality talent.
WTF? At what point did your brain give up on defending a clogger like Spearing - as the post you were responding to and in fact this entire thread is about - and somehow start referring to Lucas?
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: April 4, 2011, 08:08:24 am »
I think we should be aiming higher than Spearing even for squad players. Right now I think he's good enough to hold down a spot for a Championship team maybe even a relegation battling Premier League team. Our squad players should be better than that though. Guys like Adam should be our squad players not Spearing.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: April 4, 2011, 08:09:13 am »
Only getting a look in due to his attitude, which to be fair, is excellent.
The sceptic in me says him being from Wallesey rather than say Walsall, is a major reason too. As for his attitude, maybe so in general, but his excruciating habit of pointing off the ball as if he's some world class playmaker, is beyond embarrassing.

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: April 4, 2011, 08:10:36 am »

Yeah right. You seriously think it's beyond the realms of possibility that such a thing could happen? It's not like RAWK is ever over the top and knee jerk is it.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: April 4, 2011, 09:57:39 am »
A lad in work is convinved 'Speo' is the new Gerrard after his sunderland performance.
Huh! Do you give him a corner of his own to work in, or I imagine if he was a painter his paint brush would need to be tied to his sleeve so he doesn't lose it.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #988 on: April 4, 2011, 10:15:17 am »
There´s nothing in Spearings game that earns him a spot in the squad. He´s a local lad that´s all. Should be let go in the summer.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: April 4, 2011, 10:17:26 am »
Does the fact that xabi, molby, rafa, kenny, mano menezes all rate him highly mean nothing to you. Surely you would concede that maybe you are wrong. You can't honestly believe that you understand football better than them, can you?

You could apply an argument like that to pretty much any discussion and just close the forum down.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: April 4, 2011, 11:27:58 am »
You could apply an argument like that to pretty much any discussion and just close the forum down.

How many times has that argument been raised. We have been discussin the guy for four years and he is coming good and people still refuse to see it.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: April 4, 2011, 11:32:17 am »
Far from our biggest problem on Saturday.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #992 on: April 4, 2011, 02:12:21 pm »
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: April 4, 2011, 02:25:29 pm »
if you take away the Sunderland match you have no reason to be sitting on the fence, the guy is average and doesn't matter how committed he always will be.

Why are people implying that Sunderland has been his only good game this season? It's utter twaddle. The majority of his games have been good games and the moment he's in a losing team people turn on him. No wonder players don't have any loyalty - fans are no fucking better.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #994 on: April 4, 2011, 04:01:01 pm »
Why are people implying that Sunderland has been his only good game this season? It's utter twaddle. The majority of his games have been good games and the moment he's in a losing team people turn on him. No wonder players don't have any loyalty - fans are no fucking better.

Fundamentally Spearing isn't good enough, which is why he never gets a game when Meireles, Lucas and Gerrard are fit.   He has never displaced one of those 3 in a league game.  But, at the moment he is all we have.   If the majority of his games were good, he would have played instead of the three mentioned No?
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: April 4, 2011, 04:02:51 pm »
Best backup player we have at the moment unfortunatly. Says it all about our midfield really. Not having a go at the lad, he tries his best every game but he just isn't good enough. Wouldn't be surprised if we sold him in the summer to a lower league team

Offline SamiSamiHyypia

• Kopite
  • Justice For The 96
    • The Homes Of Football
« Reply #996 on: April 4, 2011, 04:08:33 pm »

Very true.
I can confirm that on this subject at least, there is an almost cultish obsession, which I find quite unnerving.
Cult Of Lucas - Proud Member

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #997 on: April 4, 2011, 04:27:54 pm »
he wasnt really the main problem on Saturday.

But I have real issues with his pointing and it's been a constant in his game for years, he needs to just show for the ball, the pointing and that is not good tactical play at all, he's practically telling the opposition midfield and defence who to run to.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2011, 04:36:43 pm by rapcage »
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #998 on: April 4, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »

Woah crossed line here pal, thought you was on about Spearing. Lucas is a gem and I believe he will captain this club in a few years.  :wave

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #999 on: April 4, 2011, 04:49:43 pm »
he wasnt really the main problem on Saturday.

But I have real issues with his pointing and it's been a constant in his game for years, he needs to just show for the ball, the pointing and that is not good tactical play at all, he's practically telling the opposition midfield and defence who to run to.

What is all that pointing about anyways?

He was pointing to Lucas at one point telling him where to go and stand when defending one corner (I think). Lucas didn't move, and a few seconds later just told Jay where to go to stand, which he duly did!!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't