Author Topic: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never  (Read 500866 times)

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
Re: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never
« Reply #760 on: March 22, 2011, 04:18:59 pm »
So by that logic the Gerrard of the past 2 years is not good enough?   :o

fishing?
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: March 22, 2011, 04:23:34 pm »
fishing?
No not at all.  By your bonkers logic the fact that Lucas was in the midfield is why we were 7th last season ipso facto the fact that Gerrard or in fact anyone else was in that team means that they are not good enough. 

You could also add to that that Lucas was widely regarded as one of our best players of that season so what does that say about the rest? Like I said you must believe that Gerrard is no longer good enough as well.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Vidocq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: March 22, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »
No not at all.  By your bonkers logic the fact that Lucas was in the midfield is why we were 7th last season ipso facto the fact that Gerrard or in fact anyone else was in that team means that they are not good enough. 

You could also add to that that Lucas was widely regarded as one of our best players of that season so what does that say about the rest? Like I said you must believe that Gerrard is no longer good enough as well.

alonso-masch-stevie.   finishing every year one top 4,one season 2nd

lucas-masch-stevie.   7th last season

lucas-poulsen-stevie.   well,thanks to Kenny we are not going to second division

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »
alonso-masch-stevie.   finishing every year one top 4,one season 2nd

lucas-masch-stevie.   7th last season

lucas-poulsen-stevie.   well,thanks to Kenny we are not going to second division

Ahh so let see if I can continue to follow this crazy logic.  If we finish above 7th this season then Poulson will be better than Masch?   Cant say I agree with you but each to their own opinion I suppose

Ohh and now that Spearing appears to be ahead of Poulson does that mean that he is also better than Masch?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:18:21 pm by Cadno »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #764 on: March 22, 2011, 05:31:22 pm »
Otherwise, Vidocq is not obsessed with Lucas.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:23 pm »
Jesus christ almighty.

Ill have what your smoking.

Better late than never, but I dont see a problem with my original point. I never said he was better than or on a similar level to Mascherano. All I said was 'Mascherano-lite' meaning that's the sort of role which will suit him if he wants a career at Liverpool - which I still don't think he does, but anyway thanks for the hysterics! I'll make sure I put on subtitles next time.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #766 on: March 22, 2011, 07:10:15 pm »
Apples and Oranges.

Jay really should be competing for Lucas' spot, but he's not because of his abilities. The lad can't tackle for shit so he can't be a defensive midfielder, in effect the role he's playing and wants mean he's competing with Gerrard and Meireles. If that's the role he wants then I don't see any future for him at Liverpool at all.

Vidocq, you need to get a serious grip of reality mate. You complain of that Lucas is mediocre yet champion Spearing in the same post.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #767 on: March 22, 2011, 07:45:18 pm »
Apples and Oranges.

Jay really should be competing for Lucas' spot, but he's not because of his abilities. The lad can't tackle for shit so he can't be a defensive midfielder, in effect the role he's playing and wants mean he's competing with Gerrard and Meireles. If that's the role he wants then I don't see any future for him at Liverpool at all.

Vidocq, you need to get a serious grip of reality mate. You complain of that Lucas is mediocre yet champion Spearing in the same post.

spearings one of the few players in the squad these days that actually accellerates into a 50/50 instead of slowing down.
he put himself about in the derby and showed a lot of heart.
but unless he produces the form he showed on the weekend week in week out he`s going to struggle to get into the side.
the midfield is the engine room that drives teams to the title, its the most important area of the pitch but for 20 years we have had good midfields instead of great, even in the 90`s we had good players like barnes and redknapp who could pass a lot of teams of the park but they werent the best midfield around, united at keane and ince at the peak of their powers.
our midfield really has to improve.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: March 22, 2011, 07:52:10 pm »
spearings one of the few players in the squad these days that actually accellerates into a 50/50 instead of slowing down.
but unless he produces the form he showed on the weekend week in week out he`s going to struggle to get into the side.
the midfield is the engine room that drives teams to the title, its the most important area of the pitch but for 20 years we have had good midfields instead of great, even in the 90`s we had good players like barnes and redknapp who could pass a lot of teams of the park but they werent the best midfield around, united at keane and ince at the peak of their powers.

And yet many people want to drop the best tackler in the league in favour of, well, anyone but him really. Like that yosser guy said, everyone's looking forward to the day Lucas no longer plays for Liverpool.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: March 22, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »
And yet many people want to drop the best tackler in the league in favour of, well, anyone but him really. Like that yosser guy said, everyone's looking forward to the day Lucas no longer plays for Liverpool.

stop being so melodramatic

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: March 22, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »
Utd will win the league this year with a very poor 'engine room' as you put it.  We have far more areas to improve before cm. lb, cb, both wings all need strengthening before cm and who knows with better players around them our young cm players may improve even further. 

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: March 22, 2011, 08:25:48 pm »
In the derby he had three tackles all game winning two.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:14 pm »
Utd will win the league this year with a very poor 'engine room' as you put it.  We have far more areas to improve before cm. lb, cb, both wings all need strengthening before cm and who knows with better players around them our young cm players may improve even further. 

i definately agree with that, playing center mid for us cant be easy because as soon as you pass the ball out wide within seconds you are either getting the ball back (because our wide players arent going to take anyone on so they just give it back) or you are sprinting back towards our box trying to put out fires in our defence because our wide players lost possession.
saying that we still need someone who dictate a game in there.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #773 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:45 pm »
Lucas this thread, its gonna crazy!!!!

Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: March 22, 2011, 08:48:56 pm »
Jesus christ. Spearing has a good game, having had a fair few good games this season and people still wants to slag him off? Fuck off frankly. I'm not interested in comparing Lucas and Spearing, I am interested in the fact that we have two good improving midfielders with markedly different styles. I hope Spearing continues in the same vein as he has been doing - from the looks of some posters they'll be on here the very next moment he has a bad game to pop at him as if Lucas needs defending from this horrifying new threat. Newsflash - he doesn't. He is doing well. I think him and Spearing can make a very effective partnership because of their different styles, and if they do, then great.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Vidocq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: March 22, 2011, 10:59:59 pm »
Ahh so let see if I can continue to follow this crazy logic.  If we finish above 7th this season then Poulson will be better than Masch?   Cant say I agree with you but each to their own opinion I suppose

Ohh and now that Spearing appears to be ahead of Poulson does that mean that he is also better than Masch?

read my post...i said Lucas is not at the same level as Alonso or Masch

and if your think that Lucas actually is at the same level ( you probably do because you quoted me),then you must do something with yourself

Offline Vidocq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: March 22, 2011, 11:03:11 pm »

i agree with that

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: March 22, 2011, 11:24:12 pm »
Spearing won't be sold, High in Kenny's plans.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: March 22, 2011, 11:28:02 pm »
In that case I hope Dalglish doesn't get the job.

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: March 22, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »

hope all you want lad, he`s getting the job.

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: March 22, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »

What a clown. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound. Spearing is no world beater but he is a good player to have for your squad.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #781 on: March 22, 2011, 11:39:33 pm »
Spearing won't be sold, High in Kenny's plans.

How high. Fifth choice CM?
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline danny boy the red

• arsed bead lover
  • Legacy Fan
  • Were going to Wembley!!!
« Reply #782 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:32 pm »
i agree with that

I would have to about until about 3 years ago when we had the best midifield in the world, United's couldn't compare but they still won shit loads and we won nothing. 

We need a strong midfield. One that can compete with top sides but we shouldn't be hell bent on dominating them from there. Spearing's after  genuinely getting himself into contention for a place in the team. I take my hat off to him, I thought he's time had well gone.

But I am looking forward to seeing use the wings more next year.

http://twitter.com/thebig_sam

"Excited about working with young Ravel Morrison, but he comes with a list of "dead important" instructions. He's like a fucking Gremlin.

The first three? Don't let him near fireworks; Don't let him drink rum; Don't let him carry a sword. Fucking hell"

Offline Vidocq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: March 22, 2011, 11:46:29 pm »

lunatic

Offline USCouse

• Main Stander
« Reply #784 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »

you being serious, mate?  ludicrous given how well we've performed under him...

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: March 22, 2011, 11:49:55 pm »
I would have to about until about 3 years ago when we had the best midifield in the world, United's couldn't compare but they still won shit loads and we won nothing. 

We need a strong midfield. One that can compete with top sides but we shouldn't be hell bent on dominating them from there. Spearing's after  genuinely getting himself into contention for a place in the team. I take my hat off to him, I thought he's time had well gone.

But I am looking forward to seeing use the wings more next year.

obviously you need to be good in all area`s of the team, you can have a great team but if you have a shite keeper you will win f##k all, but in general games are won and lost in midfield.
at the moment, infact since alonso left our midfield has been generally poor, we need someone in there who can dictate a game and give the midfield a bit of drive.
having good wide players will help, it takes the pressure off the center mids to create something.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #786 on: March 22, 2011, 11:57:13 pm »
I'm with Hightown.

If a player like Spearing is high in kennys plans, we could be in bother.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:00 pm »
Better late than never, but I dont see a problem with my original point. I never said he was better than or on a similar level to Mascherano. All I said was 'Mascherano-lite' meaning that's the sort of role which will suit him if he wants a career at Liverpool - which I still don't think he does, but anyway thanks for the hysterics! I'll make sure I put on subtitles next time.

Did it take you two days to come up with a response??
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Brooksey1973

• Main Stander
« Reply #788 on: March 23, 2011, 12:00:02 am »
Hi everyone, over the moon that after years just looking I have finally got on the site.

Just a note on Spearing.  It feels like it was a long time ago that he came on to an awesome welcome against Madrid.  That was back in 2009 and since then he has only made 19 appearances - most as sub.  It's a bit early, in my opinion to be judging him 100% good enough or not.  that game was 2 seasons ago now and when you consider that his 19 appearances have been mostly during our toughest times under Rafa and under Roy (god help us), I think the lad has done well.  On Sunday he won us the penalty, put a great ball through for Suarez, and I think he won even more headers than Lucas  :o (for the record I rate Lucas highly).  When we were being attacked down our left flank and Glen got tight to their winger, Jay was straight in behind him covering any overlaps - he's a hard worker who I think has the chance to flourish under Kenny - and if kenny rates him, that's enough for me.
Darren from Thetford............................FUCK OFF!

Offline Vidocq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:49 am »
Hi everyone, over the moon that after years just looking I have finally got on the site.

Just a note on Spearing.  It feels like it was a long time ago that he came on to an awesome welcome against Madrid.  That was back in 2009 and since then he has only made 19 appearances - most as sub.  It's a bit early, in my opinion to be judging him 100% good enough or not.  that game was 2 seasons ago now and when you consider that his 19 appearances have been mostly during our toughest times under Rafa and under Roy (god help us), I think the lad has done well.  On Sunday he won us the penalty, put a great ball through for Suarez, and I think he won even more headers than Lucas  :o (for the record I rate Lucas highly).  When we were being attacked down our left flank and Glen got tight to their winger, Jay was straight in behind him covering any overlaps - he's a hard worker who I think has the chance to flourish under Kenny - and if kenny rates him, that's enough for me.

good post, and welcome  :thumbup

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: March 23, 2011, 12:05:48 am »
I'm with Hightown.

If a player like Spearing is high in kennys plans, we could be in bother.

yeah well seems kenny was about 5 seconds away from winning four titles in five years (not to mention the 3 f.a cup finals and the league cup final in those 5 years) and he`s also one of the few men in the history of the game to win the title with two different teams i think i`ll trust his judgement over yours.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: March 23, 2011, 12:07:20 am »
yeah well seems kenny was about 5 seconds away from winning four titles in five years (not to mention the 3 f.a cup finals and the league cup final in those 5 years) and he`s also one of the few men in the history of the game to win the title with two different teams i think i`ll trust his judgement over yours.

I've won the League for 17 consecutive years Football Manager.

The clueless Jock can fuck himself.

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: March 23, 2011, 12:10:34 am »
I've won the League for 17 consecutive years Football Manager.

The clueless Jock can fuck himself.

you`ve got the better of me there mate i`ve never played the game so i dont know how impressed i should be.

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: March 23, 2011, 12:11:37 am »
hahaha I dont want to play.

@rednich85

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: March 23, 2011, 12:12:38 am »
you`ve got the better of me there mate i`ve never played the game so i dont know how impressed i should be.

Well take it from me, Jay Spearing hasn't got anything over 15 so he'll never be good enough.

I'll pass the game on to Kenny tomorrow. He'll see the light and then me and Ian will get the contract over to him.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #795 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:10 am »
Well take it from me, Jay Spearing hasn't got anything over 15 so he'll never be good enough.

I'll pass the game on to Kenny tomorrow. He'll see the light and then me and Ian will get the contract over to him.

:D
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline macmanaman

• doo doo dedoo doo
  • Kopite
  • Rafalution
« Reply #796 on: March 23, 2011, 12:49:04 am »
I guess people tend to go way over the top for local lad. It takes Lucas 18 months of consistent performance and many immense showing agianst the top side to convince some part of our fan base but Spearing had one good game and couple of average games this season and many people already saying that he is as good or better than Lucas ?

People seems to forget that Spearing is only 16,17 months younger than Lucas as well.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: March 23, 2011, 01:18:52 am »

not very impressed. ONce you get to a certain level you basically win it every year. Still a fantastic game to learn about all the players in europe and top young prospects. The game is played by actual managers. Rafa played it. but alas, people take it way too far.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: March 23, 2011, 03:10:39 am »
Out of interest, if we go in for Charlie Adam in the summer (as seems fairly likely) and Blackpool say they'll only sell him if we give them Spearing in part-exchange, what would you want to do?

I'd go for Adam personally.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: March 23, 2011, 04:21:03 am »
Out of interest, if we go in for Charlie Adam in the summer (as seems fairly likely) and Blackpool say they'll only sell him if we give them Spearing in part-exchange, what would you want to do?

I'd go for Adam personally.

i think you would have to wouldn't you. We can always get another spearing and we have some talent coming through in the CM spot so he would have to go.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.