Author Topic: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never  (Read 500748 times)

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never
« Reply #720 on: March 21, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »
don't get why so many posters look to stick the boot in on spearing.  he can only have had a handfull of starts in the prem and is in a very early stage of his development.

his attitude is fantastic and the more games he gets the better he will become.  i think he's played really well against everton and sunderland so why not just get behind the lad.

the reality is that he's not going to be top class but to me he looks like he can be a very capable squad player in the future, someone you can bring in for games and depend on with the minimum of fuss.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »
don't get why so many posters look to stick the boot in on spearing.  he can only have had a handfull of starts in the prem and is in a very early stage of his development.

his attitude is fantastic and the more games he gets the better he will become.  i think he's played really well against everton and sunderland so why not just get behind the lad.

the reality is that he's not going to be top class but to me he looks like he can be a very capable squad player in the future, someone you can bring in for games and depend on with the minimum of fuss.
No one is sticking the boot in.
It's just the paranoid delusions of a few who have somehow extrapolated a conclusion from one good game that Jay Spearing is better than Lucas.
If they want to cry and throw tantrums when they get their arse handed to them on the utter shite they are spouting, that's their cross to bear.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: March 21, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »
We are going to be rebuilding the squad in stages, we are not going to get every position covered with depth in one window, so Spearing has the rest of this season to impress, and then I am sure next season as well. At that point it would be decided if he has a long term future or not.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: March 21, 2011, 10:09:40 pm »
It's just the paranoid delusions of a few who have somehow extrapolated a conclusion from one good game that Jay Spearing is better than Lucas.
If they want to cry and throw tantrums when they get their arse handed to them on the utter shite they are spouting, that's their cross to bear.

That is incorrect, nobody has ever stated that spearing is better than lucas. And nobody is crying or throwing tantrums. You need to read and then understand before you post mate, or you look like a gobby no-mark, and i'm sure you arent.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #724 on: March 21, 2011, 10:14:54 pm »

No one is necessarily saying that Spearing is better than Lucas, just that he had a better game than Lucas yesterday. Even the Times had Jay 7/10 and Lucas 6/10. Lucas is the better player and probably always will be, but that doesn't mean that Jay doesn't have a role to play as back up and can't excel from time to time. Don't forget - even Dossena scored!!!
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline rnevitt

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • OH I AM A LIVERPUDLIAN
« Reply #725 on: March 21, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »
Cracking game yesterday by Jay. Gave the midfield a bit more movement and tempo. Should defo move above Poulsen in the pecking order.
OH I AM A LIVERPUDLIAN - http://rnevitt.blogspot.com

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:16 pm »
That is incorrect, nobody has ever stated that spearing is better than lucas. And nobody is crying or throwing tantrums. You need to read and then understand before you post mate, or you look like a gobby no-mark, and i'm sure you arent.

He is not worse than Lucas, and I would say that he is might even better.

That may not be in completely coherent English, but I reckon someone did.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: March 21, 2011, 10:53:22 pm »
Haha!

We defo should have jibbed that Mascherano fella and played him instead. Brilliant.

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #728 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:38 pm »
pleased for the lad. Minimum fuss, lots of continuity play, won the (ahem) penalty.

exactly what a good water carrier should be doing to enable the stars to steal the headlines.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: March 21, 2011, 11:05:35 pm »
No Lucas

LETS GO ROUND IN ANOTHER CIRCLE.

(We shouldn't)

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »
Semantics aside.

Jay is as good as Lucas,

That is just wrong, unsubstantiated by any evidence.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:08 pm »
On what basis would Jay Spearing have done as good a job?

Yesterday was the first time he'd done anything even close to suggesting he would make a Liverpool standard footballer.

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #732 on: March 21, 2011, 11:20:01 pm »
If he was called "Spearingez" you'd all be creaming your kecks! He had a great game today, he was better than Lucas and Meireles. He won the pen, tracked back, kept a good tempo to our play, had a great effort saved, played a great ball to Suarez for his chance in the first half and was genuinely box to box. Well worthy of his place in the team. He deserves his space ahead of Poulsen and I think will give Lucas a run for his money once Gerrard is fit. Dalglish likes him, started him against Everton and Braga away. So let's give him credit for a good solid performance from a local passionate red.

OK Mrs.Spearing  ::)
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: March 21, 2011, 11:24:52 pm »
Semantics aside.

That is just wrong, unsubstantiated by any evidence.

An opinion doesnt need substantiating mate, evidence is not conclusive either way on this subject, because its just an opinion about a footballer on an internet site. I havent based it on any quantative or measurable statistics, its purely a qualative judgement on my part. You are entitled to disagree with me, but your statements are no more than opinions just like mine, so pull your horns in.

And just because it winds you up, i will say it again, i genuinely believe that Jay spearing is at the same level as lucas lieva. Deal with it.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: March 21, 2011, 11:29:18 pm »
An opinion doesnt need substantiating mate, evidence is not conclusive either way on this subject, because its just an opinion about a footballer on an internet site. I havent based it on any quantative or measurable statistics, its purely a qualative judgement on my part. You are entitled to disagree with me, but your statements are no more than opinions just like mine, so pull your horns in.

And just because it winds you up, i will say it again, i genuinely believe that Jay spearing is at the same level as lucas lieva. Deal with it.

Lucky for us Lieva doesn't play for Liverpool then.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #735 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:31 pm »

Hmm. hopefully youre right because then we'd have a hell of a player.

But on the other hand I'm sure I remember you rating Aldridge as better than Torres which makes me question your judgement somewhat.

But time will tell.
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: March 21, 2011, 11:44:24 pm »
Much less pointing as well.
Ha ha I noticed the absence of pointing at his feet also.

I suspect that he will be decent as a 4th or 5th choice CM, squad and cup game player.
He will, I always thought he'd be sold but I don't know what we'd get for him. There's probably more value in keeping him for the few games we'd need him to fill in as I also doubt he'd want to leave for first team football elsewhere.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #737 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:33 am »
Jay is our white Makelele
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2011, 12:07:10 am »
if spearing is willing to just be a squad player then I don't see the reason to move him on. He is HG which is great and he gives his fucking all every time out even if he does lack the ability of a top player. I like spearing and being raised by the club he will have more loyalty than most and have more feeling for the club.

As long as no one thinks he is a starter then keep him.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: March 22, 2011, 12:30:33 am »
Lucky for us Lieva doesn't play for Liverpool then.
:lmao

Jay is our white Makelele

:shocked  :lmao
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Online Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2011, 12:57:58 am »
Can I just say, even though I'm critical and doubt he'll be here after next season, I really hope I am wrong.

I'd love nothing more than to come back to this thread, cap in hand, to apologise and admit I was wrong.

Offline pink-radebe

• Anny Roader
  • Sharing milkshakes can spread germs.
« Reply #741 on: March 22, 2011, 01:47:38 am »
The odds are truly stacked against him, but hopefully he can make it at Liverpool. I like him and have a feeling a lot of the players do too. Seems like a good-humored lad.

He did well at reserve level, and I liked what I saw in his few sub appearances in 08/09, but he had failed to impress in any of the matches since then. Had a good game on Sunday though. Hopefully he can push on and become a good squad member for us.

Also, personally I'd have him ahead of Poulsen every day of the week.
Thank you for reading my signature.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: March 22, 2011, 02:50:11 am »
The odds are truly stacked against him, but hopefully he can make it at Liverpool. I like him and have a feeling a lot of the players do too. Seems like a good-humored lad.

He did well at reserve level, and I liked what I saw in his few sub appearances in 08/09, but he had failed to impress in any of the matches since then. Had a good game on Sunday though. Hopefully he can push on and become a good squad member for us.

Also, personally I'd have him ahead of Poulsen every day of the week.

Think this is a fair assessment. Would definitely take him ahead of Poulsen, including against players like Toure/Essien. I don't think Poulsen is a particularly bad player but his legs have clearly gone. Once that happens it doesn't matter if you are a few inches taller or a stone heavier, you are always going to get steamrolled. Spearing doesn't have the physical height or weight but he has the enthusiasm and energy of youth on his side.

Offline pink-radebe

• Anny Roader
  • Sharing milkshakes can spread germs.
« Reply #743 on: March 22, 2011, 03:06:31 am »
Yeah, that's what I like about him the most I think, his enthusiasm.
Thank you for reading my signature.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2011, 08:13:29 am »
Four things:

We all know that we are basically waiting for a better replacement for Lucas, Spearing would have done as good a job for the last two seasons until then in terms of filling in when Masc/Gerrard/Alsono were out.

1. We're not.
2. He wouldn't.
3. I didn't realise you'd been appointed spokesperson of our entire support with regards who we do/don't want. Application forms must have only reached WA3.
4. Jay Spearing's not a Scouser, Jay Spearing is a red, Jay Spearing's not from Liverpool, he comes from Birkenhead. Na na na na na na na na.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:58 am »
It seems to me that Spearing is at the level of a Nicky Butt. Gets the job done without any fuss and lets others play around him.
That is not meant as an insult, Butt was a vital squad member of the Mancs  and was great filling in for either Keane or Scholes while they were winning trebles and so on.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2011, 08:28:08 am »
4. Jay Spearing's not a Scouser, Jay Spearing is a red, Jay Spearing's not from Liverpool, he comes from Birkenhead. Na na na na na na na na.
That's a shit song L6, the one suggested earlier would sound much better

"White Makelele, You're just a white Makelele, White Makeleleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, your just a white Makelele"

;)
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #747 on: March 22, 2011, 08:34:17 am »
That's a shit song L6, the one suggested earlier would sound much better

"White Makelele, You're just a white Makelele, White Makeleleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, your just a white Makelele"

;)
;D

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:13 am »
Sorry but saying Spearing is as good as Lucas in my opinion is just cringeworthy. To me it's a kin to saying Pacheco is as good as Suarez
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #749 on: March 22, 2011, 09:22:54 am »
Jay Spearing as good as Lucas? :lmao thanks for the laugh, I needed that. He played well on Sunday but they play in different positions, making the comparison that they're on par or even that Jay is better based on that is silly
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: March 22, 2011, 09:51:12 am »
Jay Spearing as good as Lucas? :lmao thanks for the laugh, I needed that. He played well on Sunday but they play in different positions, making the comparison that they're on par or even that Jay is better based on that is silly

Reina is a far better player than Spearing.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: March 22, 2011, 09:59:38 am »

No-one f*cks with the Lollipop Guild

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #752 on: March 22, 2011, 10:14:32 am »
Can I just say, even though I'm critical and doubt he'll be here after next season, I really hope I am wrong.

I'd love nothing more than to come back to this thread, cap in hand, to apologise and admit I was wrong.

I do not understand the logic of this.  He can play an important squad function just like OShea or Fletecher for ManU - a trusted brawler we can use to push our first choice to work harder or a replacement when the first choice is injured.  He is someone who will sweat blood to play destroyer in tough derby games e.g. Everton.  His pay cannot be too high so he should be retained as an option.   

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
Jay Spearing is not at the same level as Lucas Leiva.

Fact.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:24 am »
where's jonjo?
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #755 on: March 22, 2011, 01:38:22 pm »

Fact.

Yes, he is a couple of inches away from that.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline ThatYungstarrYNWA

• Main Stander
  • [Insert clever comment here]
« Reply #756 on: March 22, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »
YNWA: We don't wear it on an armband, we wear it on our hearts...

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #757 on: March 22, 2011, 03:50:04 pm »
Yaya Toure v Jay Spearing. Do you want to watch that?

For the record, I'd love it if he come up. We need options. But he won't.

To say Poulsen ahead of Jay, WOW.
Yaya Toure v Christian Poulsen
Yaya Toure v Jay Spearing

I'll take the second option every day of the week. The discussion COMPARING Jay to Lucas is a bit daft too. Chopper summed it up perfectly. Guinness and Lager. I agree with you though L6, Jay could well be in the Championship when you say, BUT I think there's a chance he could also be a very valuable LFC player too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:59:21 pm by MushyP15 »
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #758 on: March 22, 2011, 04:12:07 pm »

Fact.

Lucas is not at the same level as Alonso or Masch

7th last season..and that is real fact

masch-alonso finishing every year on top 4...one season finishing 2nd

im afraid Lucas's level is not good enough

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: March 22, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »
Lucas is not at the same level as Alonso or Masch

7th last season..and that is real fact

masch-alonso finishing every year on top 4...one season finishing 2nd

im afraid Lucas's level is not good enough

So by that logic the Gerrard of the past 2 years is not good enough?   :o
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly