Author Topic: Joey Barton. Bad wool.  (Read 120989 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Re: Joey Barton. Bless.
« Reply #400 on: May 30, 2014, 04:15:32 pm »
I don't think what he said was particularly sexist to be honest, but it was pub talk and not fitting for a discussion on TV. And he did fuck up saying it because it's inevitable such a crass analogy would cause some offense, and quite rightly so.

Yeah that's probably what it is to be honest.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2014, 04:19:26 pm »
Exactly, spot onYes he did.

He compared the four political parties to four women he might fuck, but they were "ugly". That's what he did. I actually rated the rest of what he said, he's a good lad is Joey, but he let himself down there in that moment, his reaction after he said it confirms that I'm right. Get annoyed at the woman who pronounced that "all footballers have their brains in their feet" which was just as sexist. I didn't say that either, but I still find that offensive as well.

He didn't say "you're all ugly politicians" or "your politics is ugly all on four sides", he compared the four parties to ugly women he wouldn't talk to, let alone dare have a sexual relationship with, come on ffs.

I agree with you that the footballer comment was equally offensive - but again, that wasn't sexist. It was a mindless sweeping generalisation.

As for the part in bold, it is evident that you are reading extremes into what he said. It isn't sexist. Being ugly is a characteristic that can be equally applied to males. He used women because he is a heterosexual male. If the comment is offensive it is because it is shallow, not sexist.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2014, 04:26:15 pm »
Agree with QC there. If he had said something like, 4 women that he wouldn't want to associate with then yeah that's sexist but he highlighted appearance. It's more of an offence to physically less attractive women than women in general.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »
I agree with you that the footballer comment was equally offensive - but again, that wasn't sexist. It was a mindless sweeping generalisation.

As for the part in bold, it is evident that you are reading extremes into what he said. It isn't sexist. Being ugly is a characteristic that can be equally applied to males. He used women because he is a heterosexual male. If the comment is offensive it is because it is shallow, not sexist.
Agree with QC there. If he had said something like, 4 women that he wouldn't want to associate with then yeah that's sexist but he highlighted appearance. It's more of an offence to physically less attractive women than women in general.

It's called 'objectification'; a form of sexism. The whole point is that such 'analogies' are never made about men and that women's 'worth' is disproportionately measured by physical appearance.

But hey, I'm sure a couple of young men know more about it than decades of feminists and sociologists :).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
It's called 'objectification'; a form of sexism. The whole point is that such 'analogies' are never made about men and that women's 'worth' is disproportionately measured by physical appearance.

But hey, I'm sure a couple of young men know more about it than decades of feminists and sociologists :).

So women never judge men by their appearance? And by this logic Joey would've been better off saying "it's like picking between 4 "dim-witted women"?

It's just overkill on the political correctness front for me. If this is the threshold by which to label someone sexist nowadays, I definitely fall into the category - and I genuinely do not think myself an individual who discriminates or is prejudicial based on someones sex.

As for your concluding remark - i'll ignore the patronising, and hugely incorrect, notion that people cannot form an opinion on certain subject matter because they're not an expert on it.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2014, 05:16:58 pm »
:lmao sexism my arse!!

PC gone fucking mad.

Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »
It's not sexist at all, it doesn't really correlate to sexism. It just wasn't particularly funny.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »
So women never judge men by their appearance? And by this logic Joey would've been better off saying "it's like picking between 4 "dim-witted women"?

It's just overkill on the political correctness front for me. If this is the threshold by which to label someone sexist nowadays, I definitely fall into the category - and I genuinely do not think myself an individual who discriminates or is prejudicial based on someones sex.

As for your concluding remark - i'll ignore the patronising, and hugely incorrect, notion that people cannot form an opinion on certain subject matter because they're not an expert on it.

Of course women judge men by appearance - in contexts where appearance is relevant - but I don't think you could find too many examples of that sort of analogy being made by women, about men, in such a manner. And men can be non-sexist, but judge women by their appearance in a club - where appearance and physical attraction is actually the point. The issue, of course, is that many men (and far more than vice-versa) judge women by appearance where it's really not the point.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Not all opinions are equally valid or correct, though. The point wasn't really to dismiss your opinions as 'non-expert', but to illustrate that this isn't a subject that's just come up because Joey Barton appeared on Question Time. This stuff has been debated for decades. It's complex and has an impact on how we view, judge and interact with people. It's similar to the 'racist joke' - not perhaps serious or discriminatory in itself, but can excuse or foster objectification and stereotyping; where a person is not seen or regarded as a particular individual, but as one of a category: Muslim, black guy, ugly bird, stunner.

Anyway, on the scale of battles-you-can't-win-on-the-internet, discussing what is and isn't sexist in a mostly male forum comes quite high :).

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: May 30, 2014, 06:03:08 pm »
Of course women judge men by appearance - in contexts where appearance is relevant - but I don't think you could find too many examples of that sort of analogy being made by women, about men, in such a manner. And men can be non-sexist, but judge women by their appearance in a club - where appearance and physical attraction is actually the point. The issue, of course, is that many men (and far more than vice-versa) judge women by appearance where it's really not the point.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Not all opinions are equally valid or correct, though. The point wasn't really to dismiss your opinions as 'non-expert', but to illustrate that this isn't a subject that's just come up because Joey Barton appeared on Question Time. This stuff has been debated for decades. It's complex and has an impact on how we view, judge and interact with people. It's similar to the 'racist joke' - not perhaps serious or discriminatory in itself, but can excuse or foster objectification and stereotyping; where a person is not seen or regarded as a particular individual, but as one of a category: Muslim, black guy, ugly bird, stunner.

Anyway, on the scale of battles-you-can't-win-on-the-internet, discussing what is and isn't sexist in a mostly male forum comes quite high :).

I guess we can leave it there then, as this is headed towards becoming a circular argument.

I'll just leave the final part in bold though, as maybe i'm not the only one who will see the rank hypocrisy in that statement...

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #409 on: May 30, 2014, 06:14:03 pm »
I really don't care that much. Just come back from somewhere else, so I apologise for being late to the party.

I just think if you have to come up with an analogy that involves fucking women to convey your point, you have a small mind that's all. It might not be that bad, who cares, I'm sure behind closed doors all men say this sort of shit, so do I, but not on Question Time for fuck sake, I've even said I like Joey Barton, he's backed the Hillsborough campaign and is a good lad. But to compare the four parties, to four ugly women is bullshit, no doubt.

New transfer = the new 'bird' on the scene

Torres coming back = chatting up the woman who used to love you who you want to get back with

Suarez = The woman you want to get down on bended knee to and propose to

Every transfer story, every contract situation is always compared to how a man might work with a woman? I don't understand it at all. We're buying and selling blokes ffs.

We're pimps if anything for fuck sake ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:16:39 pm by Hij »

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #410 on: May 30, 2014, 06:17:51 pm »
Come on lads let's get a grip here. It's PC gone mad, as usual.

Who would've that that in 2014 the nation would be arguing about such a trivial analogy and nobody is questioning the fact that Joey Fucking Barton is a panelist on Question Time!

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #411 on: May 30, 2014, 06:28:12 pm »

Who would've that that in 2014 the nation would be arguing about such a trivial analogy and nobody is questioning the fact that Joey Fucking Barton is a panelist on Question Time!

Hear hear, I've got into a massive discussion I didn't want to get into.

I just want to watch Liverpool beat Peru.

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #412 on: May 30, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »
If he was gay and he said that it was the least ugly bloke then wtf would that be? It couldn't be sexist, and not really offensive. :S

And this isn't a gay vs straight debate I'm just trying to figure out why it's "sexist"?

For that reason I don't think what he said could be called sexist, but maybe offensive? To ugly people?
They should go and feast on another dead corpse this one is alive and kicking and it will bite you fucking head off.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: May 30, 2014, 07:00:38 pm »
Bollocks like this demean the real purpose of political correctness: inequality in language. We're in a process of linguistic engineering where we can't say jack shit because that's what society expects. If Barton meant offence, he's a whopper anyway. But he obviously didn't.  Sexism shouldn't be about the terms used, but the semantics and purpose behind what they are saying. Offence should only be taken if offence is meant. 

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #414 on: May 30, 2014, 07:15:30 pm »
Offence should only be taken if offence is meant. 

Your missus is an ugly bint. No offence like.  :P

I agree btw :)
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: May 30, 2014, 07:22:54 pm »
No fucking way was it sexist. Clearly he was trying to think of an analogy in the heat of the moment, you could describe it as unfortunate at the most but you could tell he didn't mean offence. If he described ukip as 'like the silly ugly bint trying to muscle in on a conversation with us ruddy bloody good blokes' you might have a point. People getting offended on behalf of others here.

At the same time I'd say it's a bit harsh calling him thick etc, maybe we should all leave political talk to the good old chaps at Eton, the world would be a better place then wouldn't it? Er...wait
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:25:23 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #416 on: May 30, 2014, 07:29:11 pm »
No fucking way was it sexist. Clearly he was trying to think of an analogy in the heat of the moment, you could describe it as unfortunate at the most but you could tell he didn't mean offence. If he described ukip as 'like the silly ugly bint trying to muscle in on a conversation with us ruddy bloody good blokes' you might have a point. People getting offended on behalf of others here.

At the same time I'd say it's a bit harsh calling him thick etc, maybe we should all leave political talk to the good old chaps at Eton, the world would be a better place then wouldn't it? Er...wait
Two good paragraphs.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #417 on: May 30, 2014, 07:31:49 pm »
Fuck it, get lean.

Allow it. Not arsed.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:33:35 pm by Hij »

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #418 on: May 30, 2014, 07:44:54 pm »
Quoting Nietzsche. For fucks sake

How unaware of yourself can you be? He tried to grow a moustache like him once but ended up looking like Micky Quinn on crack
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #419 on: May 30, 2014, 07:56:17 pm »
I don't know what's happening with this ukip stuff but no way was that sexist. Fucking hell people love creating chaos out of small things.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: May 30, 2014, 07:56:52 pm »
Why the fuck was he on Question Time in the first place?
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
  • DING DING ! All aboard the offended bus
« Reply #421 on: May 30, 2014, 08:07:55 pm »
Got to admire his balls for getting up and going on a show as one that's not been bred from an early age to behave more intellectually and know how to behave and respond in situations like that , he said what most working class boys with a wee bit of intelligence would say .
JFT96

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
« Reply #422 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:01 pm »
Why the fuck was he on Question Time in the first place?

pierre van hooijdonk is on next week.
poetry in motion

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #423 on: May 30, 2014, 08:52:17 pm »

I just want to watch Liverpool beat Peru.

Liverpool 1 Peru 0

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #424 on: May 30, 2014, 09:26:58 pm »
The four ugly girls comment is sexist?

Most of what UKIP utter is Racist so your point is?

Hae apologised however the UKIP woman was rude to Audience members and shouted down all the panel as well, i know who i prefer out of Joey and the UKIP loudmouth!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #425 on: May 30, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
Not wishing to derail the thread, and certainly not singling you out individually Tony, but this is one of the most poorly judged and over used phrase of the last decade or so. 

We live in a World where people daily get attacked (often killed) and are discriminated against because of their age, gender, sexuality, race and countless other appalling reasons.  Until that's not the case, PC won't have gone mad.

Like I say, that's not me attacking you personally Tony - yours was just the post I saw.
Absolutely.  It's BBC gone mad!

As I see it, all that's happened is someone said something on national television that millions wouldn't bat an eyelid at if it was said in a pub and someone else has seen, and taken, an opportunity to score points by attacking them for it.  That's pretty much how politics works though, isn't it?

Not too sure why you would use death, racism, discrimination etc as a reason why peoples reaction to Joeys words as not PC gone mad.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:54 pm »
I don't know what's happening with this ukip stuff but no way was that sexist. Fucking hell people love creating chaos out of small things.

Had undertones of sexism. But it was more the overwhelming thuggish idiocy of it

Like someone had let in Alf Garnet. How he's muscled his way on there god knows

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #427 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54:35 pm »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of their background or education but Joey Barton strikes me as a bloke who thinks he's extremely clever just because he's read a few books and can quote some historical scholars and figures. He's so intelligent that he dumbs down his accent to fit in with the people he sometimes speaks out against. How he has became so relevant is beyond me. Clarke Carlisle is similar, albeit less controversial. Frank Lampard has an IQ of 150 and is a very well read guy, but you won't hear out about that. Our own Glen Johnson has or is currently attaining a maths degree but like Lamapard because he isn't controversial his opinion doesn't really matter (or perhaps he doesn't want the media limelight like Barton).

This is what he wants. He's an attention-whore and this is great for him. He'll often put ambiguous or slightly controversial tweets up and have people talking about it for days. He's appeared on Question Time and made a comment and now people again are talking about him. He's an average footballer with an horrendous past who seems fit to judge everyone else because he can quote Nietzsche. He's obviously had some demons and I'm not flat out calling him a c*nt (for what it's worth I believe he's active in some charitable work and such) but it's amazing how a man so troubled and a man who has caused so much trouble can be viewed upon as 'sound' because he likes to debate things and speak out.

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: May 31, 2014, 03:04:07 am »
Not too sure why you would use death, racism, discrimination etc as a reason why peoples reaction to Joeys words as not PC gone mad.
Fair enough, I can understand that.  Sadly I'm not eloquent enough to explain myself properly and this isn't the thread for me to that in anyway.

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
« Reply #429 on: May 31, 2014, 07:39:27 am »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of their background or education

Woah.

This liberal nutcase is out of control. ::)
poetry in motion

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #430 on: June 1, 2014, 04:44:47 pm »

Nothing new there then, well not on RAWK
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #431 on: June 1, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »
Hang on.

A footballer made an appearance on question time? And not everyone agrees with what he says?

Well there's a shocker.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #432 on: June 1, 2014, 06:05:03 pm »
It was cringe-worthy,

He basically said that he judges women based solely on their appearance and would take the less ugly one home - that's fucking moronic and it isn't a surprise why the intelligent woman in the audience took offence to it and yes it is sexist, it's degrading the woman in question to a basic object, comparing her to a thing in the shop that you look at and "take home."

"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: June 1, 2014, 06:12:03 pm »
Gotta admire how a forum full of blokes is competing in defining what's sexist and what is not. A word of advice: stick to the football banter.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: June 2, 2014, 09:15:43 am »
Hang on.

A footballer made an appearance on question time? And not everyone agrees with what he says?

Well there's a shocker.

No

this...

He's a fucking tit that tries far, far too hard.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #435 on: July 9, 2014, 12:16:25 pm »
His bet with Piers Moron last night just netted £2,500 each for Alder Hey and HJC.

Both are detestable idiots but money for charity is always a good thing

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: July 9, 2014, 04:27:52 pm »
His bet with Piers Moron last night just netted £2,500 each for Alder Hey and HJC.

Both are detestable idiots but money for charity is always a good thing

Nice one Joey. Fair play. And top predicting.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: July 25, 2014, 10:23:32 am »

:D

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #438 on: July 25, 2014, 10:27:56 am »

Not embarrassing at all. Has he seen the dead and dying children ?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:04 am »

Not the place for it, but I agree with Barton and I haven't said that very often.