Author Topic: Joey Barton. Bad wool.  (Read 120690 times)

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Joey Barton - neglected visionary or egotistical twat? Discuss.
« Reply #320 on: April 4, 2014, 09:11:25 am »
is he wrong about rooney?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26867861

Yes he's wrong. Rooney is fucking brilliant and I wish he'd been one of ours. I'm actually stunned that people wouldn't rate him as a footballer. You might think he's a twat which is fine, but he's an excellent footballer. It must surely only be bias that would make anyone say different.

As for Barton, he's a decent player, but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I actually quite like him for what he's done for the HJC.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #321 on: April 4, 2014, 09:15:14 am »
Yes he's wrong. Rooney is fucking brilliant and I wish he'd been one of ours. I'm actually stunned that people wouldn't rate him as a footballer. You might think he's a twat which is fine, but he's an excellent footballer. It must surely only be bias that would make anyone say different.

He's good player but, he is not world class. He is far too inconsistent for that. Imo he has hardly progressed from the level he was at all those years ago when he was a teenager at Everton. In fact he has lost some of that explosiveness he used to have back then as well.

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: April 4, 2014, 09:43:06 am »
One of the few players who actually airs his actual opinions in public, which can be fun for us as fans, but if you were still in the game and playing with or against him you would think he is just an attention seeking idiot.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: April 4, 2014, 10:13:23 am »

As for Barton, he's a decent player, but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I actually quite like him for what he's done for the HJC.

Rooney is not world class. To be world class you have to be able to compete at all levels and stand out and do it regularly. That is why messi, iniesta, ronaldo etc are in that category. I can't recall rooney ever doing that against really top class opposition and standing out for the right reasons, certainly never regularly. At international level the guy is better known for stamping on ronaldos bollocks than his football. He also couldn't score for years until against ukraine Stevie ran down the wing, put in a superb cross that went through the defenders legs, passed the goalie for rooney to tap in from 3 yards out. Against Denmark he was actually f*cking up the england attack.

He's a really good player no doubt but world class? never.

Barton maybe a bell but I think he's correct.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #324 on: April 4, 2014, 10:16:23 am »
As it's been stated, Wayne Rooney is absolutely brilliant and i'd take him at Liverpool any day of the week. But he isn't world class, that's the difference.

Totally agree with Barton in that world class is a term thrown about way too often.

I think of world class and I think of Zidane, Ronaldo, C Ronaldo, Messi etc - that's world class

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: April 4, 2014, 10:24:28 am »
I think of world class and I think of Zidane, Ronaldo, C Ronaldo, Messi etc - that's world class

Errrmmmm.... Aren't you forgetting someone?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: April 4, 2014, 10:25:46 am »
Errrmmmm.... Aren't you forgetting someone?

Redondo. The Argentine Joey Barton.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #327 on: April 4, 2014, 10:25:54 am »
Think it was Carvalho's bollux wasn't it that got him offskied against Portugal??  ;D ;D

But in general I don't think England any longer as a nation has a world class player - unlike times in the past (yes the distant past I know. . . )

Rooney is a terrific English-style footballer with energy, work-rate and teamsmanship as good as any other English player (and better than most. . .) But not progressed to the world stage sadly.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #328 on: April 4, 2014, 10:26:59 am »
His comments on Rooney aren't the issue, it's that in describing Rooney as 'not world class' he in the very same interview refers to himself as 'a top player'.

"Everyone wants to get to the top but nobody wants to do the hard yards. I have no sense of entitlement because I've been a top player."

Deluded.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: April 4, 2014, 10:31:56 am »
Think it was Carvalho's bollux wasn't it that got him offskied against Portugal??  ;D ;D

But in general I don't think England any longer as a nation has a world class player - unlike times in the past (yes the distant past I know. . . )

Rooney is a terrific English-style footballer with energy, work-rate and teamsmanship as good as any other English player (and better than most. . .) But not progressed to the world stage sadly.

oh yes thats right! then he shoved ronaldo and got sent off. Maybe I was remembering it how I wanted it to be :D

Offline Hollywood Balls

• Pine Wood Cock
  • Kopite
  • "Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville."
« Reply #330 on: April 4, 2014, 10:32:28 am »

Disgrace of a human being.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts: CAN'T LOSE!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: April 4, 2014, 10:36:21 am »
Redondo. The Argentine Joey Barton.

Haha. Not exactly who I was thinking of but, he was a class act. ;D

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: April 4, 2014, 10:38:45 am »

Yep. He Utd's and England's best player which say's more about the state of both those squads then it does about the actual ability of Rooney.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: April 4, 2014, 10:41:39 am »
Where I think Barton is deluded (and as a consequence loses any credibility) is he thinks just by supporting the Hillsborough Justice Campaign he is bullet-proof particularly in Liverpool and to Liverpudlians all. I think his past antics confirm there's a lot not quite right in between his ears.

I know he is not alone in today's world but I was always taught that self-praise is no praise.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: April 4, 2014, 10:42:06 am »
Barton is correct that Rooney could have been a better player than he is if he'd have kept his discipline, focus and fitness levels up. The same can be said of Barton (but to a lesser extent on how good a player he could have been).

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: April 4, 2014, 10:48:33 am »
Has everyone actually read the interview?

The England captain comment was referring to him meeting and working with some motivational coach, he said if he'd met him when he was 21 then he thinks he'd have been england captain - he's just highlighting the impact the guy has had on him rather than boasting.

He also says quite a lot how he is a limited player, so I don't see how he's deluded there either. In terms of him calling himself a top player I guess it depends how you read into the nuances of the phrase? He played premiership football for 10 years and has played for England. Domestically he's played at the top level. I don't think he's saying he's a messi or ronaldo or a Gerrard.

Fair enough people don't like him, he is a bit of a dick, but at least put his comments into perspective rather than pulling out a quote like a headline writer and caning him for it.

Offline Paul5star

• Main Stander
« Reply #336 on: April 4, 2014, 10:52:39 am »
I listened to the interview last night on radio 5Live and to be fair to him I really enjoyed it, he's honest and that makes a change from all the bland footballers with nothing to say. Yes, he's made big mistakes and acted a complete twat over the years (haven't we all) but at least he's a character.

Think you need to listen to the whole interview, rather than small parts.

On Rooney he actually said he was naturally a better talent than Ronaldo.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2014, 10:54:50 am by Paul5star »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: April 4, 2014, 10:57:09 am »

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: April 4, 2014, 11:01:57 am »
i like Barton
he says what he thinks & isnt a sheep like alot of ppl
he was spot on about Rooney imo

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: April 4, 2014, 11:02:21 am »
Interesting what he says about Mark Hughes.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #340 on: April 4, 2014, 11:08:04 am »
What he says isn't the problem, he often makes sense, as he has on this occasion.  It's what he's done that I have a problem with.

Now that's a different discussion altogether.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: April 4, 2014, 11:11:21 am »
I wouldn't say either.  I just think he's got a few screws loose.  Not playing with a full deck.  Few sandwiches short of a picnic.  Lost a marble or two ... etc

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: April 4, 2014, 11:18:10 am »
He is a very decent footballer, but doesn't seem like a particularly nice person. Having said that, there are quite a few less likeable people in football, so it's not like he's the worst, far from it. He is very supportive towards the JFT96 campaign and I very much respect that. Also, he seems to have an excellent taste in music, which is not so common for a footballer :)

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #343 on: April 4, 2014, 11:26:33 am »
acted a complete twat over the years (haven't we all) but at least he's a character.

I've never stubbed a cigar out in someones face, thats a bit more than being 'a character'

'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline Paul5star

• Main Stander
« Reply #344 on: April 4, 2014, 11:33:29 am »
I've never stubbed a cigar out in someones face, thats a bit more than being 'a character'

He still a character though, at least he admits he's not perfect and knows his faults.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: April 4, 2014, 11:44:29 am »
neglected egotistical twat.

Agreed.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #346 on: April 4, 2014, 11:58:47 am »
Some of the bad beauts in this thread don't even know him, they're just making up some makeshift ideas they have about him from the national media. He has got a big mouth and he isn't afraid to shout it off and yes he can sometimes be an arrogant arse, but there are far worse players in the world.

Joey isn't a Liverpool supporter (Like others have said), he and his family are all Bitters.

He's neither a neglected visionary or an egotistical twat like the OP suggests, so there's not much up there for discussion on that front. In fact, this is a very poor original post with a shoehorned point of view in itself - It's a shame Alan X isn't a moderator on these parts as some of the posters on this board could do with a bit of moderating.

Call him what you will - Half of you's wouldn't say it to his face.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2014, 12:07:53 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: April 4, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »
Because he is so good at boxing?

Don't get me wrong I think he has some good craic on twitter and i admire his support for justice, but he's hardly immune from abit of flack is he?
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Paul5star

• Main Stander
« Reply #348 on: April 4, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »
You say it like that is a good thing.

What 'character' is not a good thing? Well yeah it is a good thing, otherwise the world would be full of bores who all agree and never say anything contraversial!

I think people deserve a chance, or do only world class players deserve to get another chance?

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: April 4, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »
Sorry if you didn't approve of the original post Shauno.I took the lead from the Beeb's back page comments when I woke up. No time for any in-depth analysis of when he said it and in what context. Take the point made about context - anyone can be made to look a twat so fair do's there.

But that said, as has been remarked on already, anyone who can contemplate stubbing a cigar out in a youth player's eye is not fuckin' right in my book.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #350 on: April 4, 2014, 12:13:25 pm »
Because he is so good at boxing?

Don't get me wrong I think he has some good craic on twitter and i admire his support for justice, but he's hardly immune from abit of flack is he?

No, because its easy to have an opinion about someone on the other side of the internet.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: April 4, 2014, 12:14:44 pm »
Which is what this place is all about no?

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: April 4, 2014, 12:15:06 pm »
What 'character' is not a good thing? Well yeah it is a good thing, otherwise the world would be full of bores who all agree and never say anything contraversial!

I think people deserve a chance, or do only world class players deserve to get another chance?
No not that bit, the tail end of your post 'at least he admits he's not perfect and knows his faults.'

Everyone should seek to improve themselves,  he acknowledges his faults but never really rights them, luckily for him he is a wedged footballer who can act as much of a tit as he likes and it will only turn into column inches for him. That doesn't make him a good guy though.

Offline C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: April 4, 2014, 12:15:51 pm »
No, because its easy to have an opinion about someone on the other side of the internet.
Whats your point? Don't you think anyones ever told Joey Barton they thought he was abit of an idiot in real life before?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of him, why would someone waste their own time to tell him personally they weren't his biggest fan? Nonsense.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #354 on: April 4, 2014, 12:15:54 pm »
Which is what this place is all about no?

Sorry. I thought I was on a Liverpool FC support forum. Where do you think you are?

Whats your point? Don't you think anyones ever told Joey Barton they thought he was abit of an idiot in real life before?

What's that got to do with anything?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #355 on: April 4, 2014, 12:17:13 pm »
Some of the bad beauts in this thread don't even know him, they're just making up some makeshift ideas they have about him from the national media. He has got a big mouth and he isn't afraid to shout it off and yes he can sometimes be an arrogant arse, but there are far worse players in the world.

Joey isn't a Liverpool supporter (Like others have said), he and his family are all Bitters.

He's neither a neglected visionary or an egotistical twat like the OP suggests, so there's not much up there for discussion on that front. In fact, this is a very poor original post with a shoehorned point of view in itself - It's a shame Alan X isn't a moderator on these parts as some of the posters on this board could do with a bit of moderating.

I agree that the O.P was the equivalent of a loaded question.

I listened to all of the interview with Clive Woodward. He came across well, and was honest about his background, his mistakes and his shortcomings as a footballer ("I haven't lost my pace, 'cos I'm slow and never had any to lose"). His biggest regret seems to be his belated realisation that all his behaviour when he lashed out at the world was only harming himself.

I personally believe in redemption. A lot of posters on this site don't appear to.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: April 4, 2014, 12:17:37 pm »
Sorry. I thought I was on a Liverpool FC support forum. Where do you think you are?

What's that got to do with anything?
General football and sport pal.

Offline Paul5star

• Main Stander
« Reply #357 on: April 4, 2014, 12:18:04 pm »
No not that bit, the tail end of your post 'at least he admits he's not perfect and knows his faults.'

Everyone should seek to improve themselves,  he acknowledges his faults but never really rights them, luckily for him he is a wedged footballer who can act as much of a tit as he likes and it will only turn into column inches for him. That doesn't make him a good guy though.

It's the honesty that I respect really. Did you hear the interview?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: April 4, 2014, 12:19:01 pm »

Call him what you will - Half of you's wouldn't it to his face.

Some of things he's done are just vile, that isn't open for debate, his crimes, and they are crimes, are well documented.  He's been convicted twice by a criminal court, his actions are not those of a well adjusted person, there isn't much discussion to be had there.

He's been charged three times by the FA with violent conduct, the last one two years ago.  When you add this to his two convictions for violence related crimes, it's not a huge leap to come to the conclusion that he isn't a very nice person.

Obviously people can change and I'd imagine most of us have done things we're not proud of, I know I have, but only time can judge whether someone has truly changed. 

I find his comments interesting, I often agree with them, as I do on this occasion, his backing of the Hillsborough campaign was a brilliant thing to do, but that shouldn't cloud the fact that his recent past is littered with controversy, the majority brought upon himself.

Of course people wouldn't have a go at him to his face, he has a history of violence.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #359 on: April 4, 2014, 12:21:53 pm »
General football and sport pal.

Yes. Doesn't mean i'm going to sit here and join in some of the sideloaded opinions about him. I'm not going to defend him, no more than some people on here are going to attack him.

But this thread has been set-up from the off to give Joey a fucking bashing. Whatever you want to believe about him or whatever he has done in the past, he's got a fair few points in this interview and if this thread was about the interview itself, I'd agree with you that it's "General Football and Sport" but it's not really is it?
« Last Edit: April 4, 2014, 12:27:38 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.