Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 629974 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #5800 on: December 12, 2015, 09:51:21 am »
Jeez, what the fuck is going on in here?

The problem with the Internet is that there's only so much support you can give.  It's not like having a mate round where you can pour your heart out over a coffee or a beer and they don't have to say a damned thing.  They're just there.

The very nature of the internet means that sort of connectivity is difficult.  You might replicate some of the companionship through a video chat, but on a message board like this?  Where interaction is text driven?  It's not gonna work.  People HAVE to respond.

And that can be hard.  Sometimes you don't need, or even want advice or opinions, or even support.  You just want to feel listened to.  I've seen it on Elefriends - which is Mind's equivalent of Facebook for people suffering mental illness.

I've seen people constantly reject all advice and support in favour of repeating the same old negative mantras over and over and over again: "I don't want this, I want my life back" - but never do they seem to take any positive steps at all to actually do something about it.

Likewise I've seen women who have spent their entire childhoods being molested, grew up into promiscuous teens who had no self respect and rock bottom self esteem.  They have personality disorders, post traumatic stress, anxiety, stress, panic attacks - yet they've found themselves a husband; they've raised a family; they're holding down a full time job.

Makes me feel very humble.  I have to constantly remind myself not to measure my own life problems against those of another person.

I'm not judging here and I'm not drawing comparisons.  I am just sharing an observation.

One of my besties told me a story about a chap she once knew.  A real sad sack.  People were constantly trying to cheer him up, take him out, get him motivated.  None of it worked.  He would constantly just say stuff like "There's no point, my life is worthless, I really shouldn't be here.  Maybe I should just kill myself."

You know what happened?  People eventually gave up on him.  A few of them even started saying to him, "Well if you're that unhappy, then yeah, maybe you should just kill yourself."

And one day he did.

I imagine many people were kinda sad, but none were really surprised.

That's the problem with human perception filters.  When you can so effectively screen out anything that contradicts how you view yourself and the world, then nothing anybody else can say or do will be of any use at all.  And in the end you get angry, and start pushing people away because they're not agreeing with you.  And they see it as a person throwing a child-like trantrum because their self morose isn't being indulged.

And then, when the constant talk of suicide rolls around, but they never do it - then you realise they're looking for permission.  Because they're feeling guilty over the thoughts.  And when somebody says "yeah, go on, do it" it removes the guilt - quite possibly by putting it onto somebody else.

I never asked anybody for permission to kill myself.  It was my decision, and I discussed it with several friends off and on, who agreed it wasn't their place to talk me out of it, or try to stop me. 

And when earlier this year, exiled from my family, I finally resolved to do it and started buying the kit, it was a sense of relief.  Just the tediousness of a lengthy suicide note explaining exactly the circumstances that led to my decision and what I wanted to happen after. 

It took a bitchslapping from my priest and my sister finally responding to my text after misplacing her mobile for two days to wrench me away.  I'd say I was less than 24 hours from doing it at that moment in time. 

On Monday I was approved for 18 months' worth of Mentalization Based Therapy, involving 52 one-on-one and group therapy sessions.  With additional therapies running alongside should the MBT reveal additional underlying issues that need to be addressed.

On December 1st, a dear friend sat down with me in The Brink and reminded me what a wonderful guy I am, how I made her feel normal because we both had a perverted sense of humour.  On December 4th I texted my bestie wishing her a happy birthday and she messaged me back saying I never failed to make her smile. 

I started watching "The Secret" again - watching and rewatching, because it's not enough to understand something on an intellectual level; undoing literally decades of negative thinking and feeling patterns means constant exposure to positive vibrations.  No matter how much your brain might complain of feeling bored and having heard it all before - that shit needs to sink into your heart - because it's not enough to understand it.  You have to feel it.

So yes, I am very very glad I didn't top myself back in May.  And despite a miserable November things are looking up for me. 

Can anybody be fixed?  I don't know. 

Can anybody who is prepared to try be fixed?  I don't know that either.

But I will say this: like the the National Lottery, your odds of success are infinitely improved if you actually try.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:37:48 am by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5801 on: December 12, 2015, 02:23:53 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #5802 on: December 12, 2015, 02:36:32 pm »
Jeez, what the fuck is going on in here?

great read mate.

edit:typo

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5803 on: December 12, 2015, 02:58:56 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5804 on: December 12, 2015, 03:05:24 pm »
I'm glad to see your doing well Red Beret :)

I'm hoping Runcornred92 hasn't done anything stupid seeing as he hasn't been active since he said bye yesterday.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5805 on: December 12, 2015, 03:09:54 pm »
If he has, there is nothing we can do.  It's not our fault; we have to move on.  I hope he hasn't though.

As I see it, when a person is hell bent on ending things, their key is to kick out what few remaining supports they have left.  You put yourself in a position where there is no turning back.  I could talk more about that but I wont.

I'd recommend watching "The Secret" to anybody.  Even if you think the law of attraction is hokum I believe it fills you with a positive, "can do" attitude.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pnaX1df4O5k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pnaX1df4O5k</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5806 on: December 12, 2015, 05:18:23 pm »
For all the people that have contributed to this thread - I honestly hope that you all have very safe and wonderful Christmas. There are always people thinking about you and wishing you the best.

Merry Christmas all!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5807 on: December 12, 2015, 08:17:27 pm »
The problem with the Internet is that there's only so much support you can give. 
Absolutely Paul mate, in addition, the problem with RAWK is there is only limited support you can receive. We value that people can use RAWK as a resource but ultimately (as you know mate) many of the posters in this thread should be and hopefully will be receiving professional support. But from what I have read in this ongoing thread full of fantastic people is that self-help and exercise is crucial.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5808 on: December 12, 2015, 08:36:32 pm »
Absolutely Paul mate, in addition, the problem with RAWK is there is only limited support you can receive. We value that people can use RAWK as a resource but ultimately (as you know mate) many of the posters in this thread should be and hopefully will be receiving professional support. But from what I have read in this ongoing thread full of fantastic people is that self-help and exercise is crucial.

Brilliant post john.

Unfortunately, the bit I bolded is so bloody crucial.

Rawk, as an entirety on the whole is a fantastic platform.

You can lead a horse to water.....
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5809 on: December 12, 2015, 11:01:40 pm »

Indeed mate.  I am fortunate to be looking forward to getting the kind of help that will (hopefully) turn my life around, but I've had to fight tooth and nail to get it.  That said, I would never, ever, blame anybody who felt they were at the point of giving up - it is unfortunately the nature of the society in which we live.

I hope you have a peaceful Christmas and New Year, and if you ever want to hang out just let me know.  :thumbup

Popcorn's Art

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5810 on: December 14, 2015, 12:41:01 pm »
I've been reading this thread recently and been very concerned for Runcornred92. He hasn't posted since he said 'Bye'. Runcornred92, I hope you are feeling better and seeking help. I have no experience here but just as a human being, perhaps if you turn your energy into helping people, people who are homeless, people who are hungry etc. you might gain some modicum of positive release for you.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5811 on: December 14, 2015, 12:56:03 pm »

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5812 on: December 14, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »
I've been reading this thread recently and been very concerned for Runcornred92. He hasn't posted since he said 'Bye'. Runcornred92, I hope you are feeling better and seeking help. I have no experience here but just as a human being, perhaps if you turn your energy into helping people, people who are homeless, people who are hungry etc. you might gain some modicum of positive release for you.

Feeling the same myself to be honest.

Checking here every day since Friday since Runcornred92 last posted and nothing.

Hope to God the lad is ok and hasn't done anything.

I'm assuming nobody knows who he is??

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5813 on: December 15, 2015, 08:10:41 am »
Runcornred92 if you are reading this, give us a yell thinking of you mate x
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5814 on: December 16, 2015, 02:49:41 pm »
Been using my SAD light box in conjunction with my crosstrainer-bike in the early mornings.  Bloody hell, humans really are solar powered.  Pulled nearly 70 minutes and 29km on the thing.  :o

I'd strongly recommend anybody in here who feels low invest in one.  Even if you don't regard yourself as a classic SAD sufferer I would be very surprised if you didn't gain some benefit from one.

Popcorn's Art

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #5815 on: December 16, 2015, 09:22:56 pm »
I quit my job two weeks ago.

It was awesome to nurse tiny premature babies but the stress it put on my already overloaded brain made me think it over and....nah, it wasn't worth it.

I've now completely changed direction and hope to start a new type of training mid-January. I've decided that I want to be a florist.

:o ;D

I get to be creative which is basically what makes me tick. So here's hoping they'll have a spot for me :wave

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #5816 on: December 16, 2015, 09:49:12 pm »

It was awesome to nurse tiny premature babies but the stress it put on my already overloaded brain made me think it over and....nah, it wasn't worth it.

I've now completely changed direction and hope to start a new type of training mid-January. I've decided that I want to be a florist.

I get to be creative which is basically what makes me tick. So here's hoping they'll have a spot for me :wave
Good luck Evie!

I'm sure you'll bloom in your new job and that thistle make you happier  ;)

(* yes I know a thistle isn't a flower but I'm tired & it's the best I could come up with  :wave)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5817 on: December 16, 2015, 09:52:57 pm »

That's good news!  I made the same decision back in 2010.  Has been a long hard road but I start a new intensive therapy in January and I hope it will give me the impetus to establish some kind of art business.  There's no way I'm going back to the drudgery of office work!  :wave

Popcorn's Art

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #5818 on: December 18, 2015, 02:52:25 pm »
Thanks guys  :wave I found out today that I'll start January 18th  :D

Excited  ;D

That's good news!  I made the same decision back in 2010.  Has been a long hard road but I start a new intensive therapy in January and I hope it will give me the impetus to establish some kind of art business.  There's no way I'm going back to the drudgery of office work!  :wave

ooh art business...sounds great :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:54:15 pm by evie »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5819 on: December 18, 2015, 03:54:23 pm »

Excited  ;D

:wave :thumbup

Popcorn's Art

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #5820 on: December 18, 2015, 09:42:40 pm »

Excited  ;D

Good Luck, hope it works out brilliantly for you.  :)
Andrew Miller MP on the S*n 'What gave them the right to publish such disgusting filth when people had died?' YNWA JFT96
Thatcher's Mind=Managed decline

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5821 on: December 22, 2015, 12:13:07 pm »
All the best to everyone. Can be a hard, lonely time of year for many.
No time for caution.

Offline stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #5822 on: December 23, 2015, 08:49:13 am »
All the best to everyone. Can be a hard, lonely time of year for many.

It sure is...

All the best everyone

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5823 on: December 24, 2015, 10:16:58 am »
Stick with true meaning of Christmas and you will be ok.

Hope everyone suffering finds warmth. I have been in this thread a few times.

Merry Christmas

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5824 on: December 24, 2015, 10:52:54 am »
After Crimbo I may see about starting up a new "positivity" thread.  Probably just some of the better and more uplifting images and captions I find via facebook, but it should suffice for those seeking solace or advice.  There's enough negativity in the world.  8)

Popcorn's Art

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #5825 on: December 24, 2015, 11:24:46 am »
Happy Christmas everyone.

Hope you all have a good one, and 2016 is a positive new year for us all.  :) :wave
Andrew Miller MP on the S*n 'What gave them the right to publish such disgusting filth when people had died?' YNWA JFT96

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5826 on: December 24, 2015, 12:34:03 pm »
Christmas without the family can get fucked. I know it's my decision and no-one else's, still hurts though.

Just be over already please!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5827 on: December 24, 2015, 02:26:16 pm »
After Crimbo I may see about starting up a new "positivity" thread.  Probably just some of the better and more uplifting images and captions I find via facebook, but it should suffice for those seeking solace or advice.  There's enough negativity in the world.  8)

You should do mate! You post some absolute class motivational images and captions.  :)

Merry Christmas everyone I hope you all have a good one  :)

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5828 on: December 24, 2015, 10:10:18 pm »
Not been in this thread for some time so please forgive me for butting in but I don't know where else I am able to say what I really feel at this time of year.

I have 2 wonderful kids and a wife that I adore but I never, ever feel as low and lonely as I do at this time of year. I miss my Grandad so much at Christmas that it hurts. It never gets any easier but I don't ever feel I can tell anyone because I don't want to be seen as putting a dampener on someone else's Christmas. It makes me feel so selfish; some people are genuinely lonely; there's no way I should feel like this. Don't get me wrong, when my kids wake up in the morning and I watch them open their presents I'll be so proud but also so sad and I don't even know why. I have no right to feel down or sad. I just fucking hate it and can't wait for normality to come back.

I'm sorry for dumping this here, but I just had to get it off my chest somewhere because it feels like I'm going to explode at some point. Spent 15 minutes crying in the bathroom this morning whilst pretending to have a shower; 29 year old family man longing to be a kid again and hugging his Grandad - so fucking ridiculous.

I hope everyone is able to get through Christmas OK - I wish you all good health and happiness in the new year.

Offline IrishSu

• percalifragilisticexpialidocious. I am WOman, Hear me RAWK!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Like an Irish Stew, just not as lumpy
« Reply #5829 on: December 24, 2015, 10:18:52 pm »
Thinking of everyone who uses this thread. Stay safe over the coming days, I know it can be very hard at this time of year. Best wishes to all. x
JFT96 YNWA

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5830 on: December 25, 2015, 01:09:45 pm »
Positivity and much love to all!

Merry Christmas!

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #5831 on: December 25, 2015, 01:51:18 pm »
Not been in this thread for some time so please forgive me for butting in but I don't know where else I am able to say what I really feel at this time of year.

I have 2 wonderful kids and a wife that I adore but I never, ever feel as low and lonely as I do at this time of year. I miss my Grandad so much at Christmas that it hurts. It never gets any easier but I don't ever feel I can tell anyone because I don't want to be seen as putting a dampener on someone else's Christmas. It makes me feel so selfish; some people are genuinely lonely; there's no way I should feel like this. Don't get me wrong, when my kids wake up in the morning and I watch them open their presents I'll be so proud but also so sad and I don't even know why. I have no right to feel down or sad. I just fucking hate it and can't wait for normality to come back.

I'm sorry for dumping this here, but I just had to get it off my chest somewhere because it feels like I'm going to explode at some point. Spent 15 minutes crying in the bathroom this morning whilst pretending to have a shower; 29 year old family man longing to be a kid again and hugging his Grandad - so fucking ridiculous.

I hope everyone is able to get through Christmas OK - I wish you all good health and happiness in the new year.

Not ridiculous at all - would give anything to see my Nan again, especially at Christmas.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5832 on: December 25, 2015, 03:54:21 pm »
My grandad passed away this year and it still hurts a lot. But I know that he would never want anyone to be sad over Christmas.

He always loved having family around over Christmas so that's what we've done.

Always focus on the happy times

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #5833 on: December 26, 2015, 11:57:18 am »
The worst year of my life without a doubt..divorce, skin cancer, shite job, just struggled through it with a smile on my face half the time. I reckon depression has become the norm for me.

Got a new group of friends since me and my wife split up and they are lovely people, but If I could only turn the clock back and my marriage work I'd do it in a shot.

Everyone deals with depression in their own way, help is out there if you need it, suffering alone is the worst thing, though I never taken my own advice on that score.
So make sure that doesn't happen to you if for whatever reason you are suffering from this illness, because some people forget that's what depression is and it should never be taken lightly.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5834 on: December 27, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5835 on: December 29, 2015, 02:41:48 pm »
I live with someone who has been suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder for more than a decade.
Having seen it firsthand, holidays and festivities are usually the worst for people troubled in personal life because they just can't deal with the chirpy happiness around.
Just remember, even though it might not seem so right now, there is a lot of joy in this world waiting to be discovered by you. Don't lose hope and belief. Give chance to the people who love you.
Surf the darkest hours and light will come :)

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to everyone!

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #5836 on: January 8, 2016, 02:28:29 pm »
Lurked in this thread for a while and read many of the stories in here. I do not have the depth of depression as many people and dont pretend it affects me in the same way as many people here. Ive been on anti depressants in the past that helped me get through a phase of life for about 6 months a few years ago.

I just have a question.

At the moment Im lucky enough to be seeing a perfectly normal,perfectly nice, perfectly stable woman in the same period of life as me. Mid 40s, divorced with kids and works for a living. I just feel at the moment like Im suffering from some level of low level depression. No fun in life, everything seems a drudge, just feel like all I do is go to work and keep repeating the days. And I feel like the woman in question is no longer that exciting and I just dont see a future with her.

My question is this. How many of you suffer from some level of depression and feel it affects your current level of satisfaction in your relationship. Do you ever feel you binned off someone perfectly nice because you were feeling down.
Im struggling if I will regret binning off a perfectly good relationship because its me thats depressed and will ultimately regret it. Or should I just be thankful Im in some kind of relationship anyway and just settle with rolling along without any drama.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5837 on: January 22, 2016, 02:06:29 am »
Just hit me that I only have one week remaining while I am on holiday back home in Egypt before going back to the States.

I think leaving will be way tougher than I thought. I think once I have enough experience under my belt, I will probably move back here even though it is a shit hole but it is still home and I feel more comfortable than in the States where for the past 4 months, I just lived as a walking ghost.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5838 on: January 22, 2016, 02:36:21 am »
Just hit me that I only have one week remaining while I am on holiday back home in Egypt before going back to the States.

I think leaving will be way tougher than I thought. I think once I have enough experience under my belt, I will probably move back here even though it is a shit hole but it is still home and I feel more comfortable than in the States where for the past 4 months, I just lived as a walking ghost.

I remember having a chat via PM with you about this mate a few months back. I take it things haven't changed? You can always drop me a line if you want to if you need to talk.  :wave

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5839 on: January 22, 2016, 05:27:53 am »

Are there any clubs/community gatherings you can join from your country at all? It's not easy, I've pretty much given up doing anything in the evenings and weekends as I know I'm leaving the city soon. There was a time when I was using Meetup.com and also went back to church, just so I could meet people at the weekend. It really helped at the time.

Stay strong mate :)