Author Topic: Kanye West  (Read 64934 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Kanye West
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2011, 06:29:01 pm »
Negative

He is though, he is a slightly above average rapper in my eyes. What saves him is his production, which is top notch as to be expected, not in the same league as the likes of Common, Andre 3000, Nas, Jay-Z etc when it comes to purely rapping though. I would compare him to Rick Ross, fairly consistent and picks the right beats.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »
He is though, he is a slightly above average rapper in my eyes. What saves him is his production, which is top notch as to be expected, not in the same league as the likes of Common, Andre 3000, Nas, Jay-Z etc when it comes to purely rapping though. I would compare him to Rick Ross, fairly consistent and picks the right beats.

I take back everything cause you posted a Jeezy track in the hip hop thread. :P

Seriously though, he is consistent and thats all you can ask for. Like Ross - I used to hate this guy cause of his CO shit but fuck me - guy can spit cause he always comes correct.

And the right beats argument is more important - the best rappers know what beats to fuck with.

(great username by the way)
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »
I take back everything cause you posted a Jeezy track in the hip hop thread. :P

Seriously though, he is consistent and thats all you can ask for. Like Ross - I used to hate this guy cause of his CO shit but fuck me - guy can spit cause he always comes correct.

And the right beats argument is more important - the best rappers know what beats to fuck with.

(great username by the way)

Yeah i understand what your saying, at the end of the day its the overall body of music that matters and Kanye does deliver on that aspect.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2011, 10:28:25 pm »
An absolutely legendary producer. And a much improved rapper - on his last two albums he's held his own and even eclipsed Jay Z on Watch The Throne.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
Oh and his last solo album was phenomenal. And I think 808... was worth making and necessary to get him there.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »
All of The Lights was an immense tune and his best song to date

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2011, 11:55:30 pm »
An absolutely legendary producer. And a much improved rapper - on his last two albums he's held his own and even eclipsed Jay Z on Watch The Throne.

You think so?, i don't really agree, i think they were pretty even but saying that Jay Z has regressed lyrically.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2011, 11:57:05 pm »
On the subject of producers, i would probably only put Dj Premier, Pete Rock, No ID(?) ahead of him, maybe Alchemist too.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2011, 12:27:35 am »
Listened through My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy again today on the way too and from work. Ridiculous album, production, features, word play all absolutely amazing, one of my favourite albums ever.

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:55 am »
Oh and his last solo album was phenomenal. And I think 808... was worth making and necessary to get him there.
I think 808s is a great album.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2011, 01:26:19 am »
List of peoples top ten favourite Kanye songs?.

Mine is:

1.Diamonds.
2.Never let me down
3.Family Business
4.All of the lights
5.Through the Wire
6.Flashing Lights
7.Jesus Walks
8.So Appalled
9.Gorgeus
10.Champion

Fucking hell that was really tough. So many quality songs I couldn't fit in.

Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2011, 01:33:07 am »
No Particular Order -

We Don't Care
Graduation Day
All Falls Down
I'll Fly Away
Spaceship
Jesus Walks
Never Let Me Down
Get Em High
Workout Plan
Family Business

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2011, 01:35:17 am »
1. All Falls Down
2. Never Let Me Down
3. We Major
4. Crack Music
5.  Slow Jamz
6. Spaceship
7. Power
8. Touch The Sky
9. Heard Em Say
10. Get Em High
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:36:57 am by Coolie High »

Offline Eileen

• Industries
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2011, 02:11:11 am »
No order, couldn't think of an order:
Gorgeous
Diamonds Are Forever
Flashing Lights
Can't Tell Me Nothing
Runaway
Hell of a Life
So Appalled
Blame Game
Slow Jamz
Workout Plan
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Eileen___
If you can speak Klingon just take your own life. It's too late for you. You can't unlearn that shit.

Offline scotkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2011, 02:47:56 am »
In no particular order:

Runaway
Blame Game
Through The Wire
Can't Tell Me Nothing
Gold Digger
Touch The Sky
Hey Mama
Champion
Good Life
All of the Lights
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:51:55 am by scotkop »

Online nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2011, 05:47:33 am »
Heard 'Em Say
Roses
All Falls Down
Jesus Walks
Can't Tell me Nothing
Bring Me Down
My Way Home
Blame Game
Slow Jamz
Diamonds from Sierra Leone

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2011, 06:00:38 am »
WAKE UP MR WEST, MR WEST, MR FRESH - MR BY HIMSELF HE SO IMPRESSED!

love Kanye - he has songs to suit all occasions/moods, beast
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 19, 2011, 12:19:42 pm »
You think so?, i don't really agree, i think they were pretty even but saying that Jay Z has regressed lyrically.

Yeah lyrically I just found Kanye more interesting on that album, especially on Murder on Excellence

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:53 pm »
I think 808s is a great album.

I played it all the way through again twice the other day because I hadn't listened to it in so long and wanted to see what I thought going back after all this time. It was a lot better than I remembered, I think a lot of criticism was spawned from the fact that it was so different and such a step forward (or perhaps sideways) stylistically from his previous material. The first five tunes are very good I think, I have always loved Love Lockdown, but it peters out after that. For me it's not that dissimilar to Graduation which starts well but ends badly. There are only four or five songs on Graduation that hold up to the material on his first two classics if you ask me.

Offline Eileen

• Industries
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 6, 2011, 01:24:57 pm »
Can I just say I still haven't gotten sick of hearing that album. Just every aspect of it is so good. If you still haven't heard it, what are you doing with your life?
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Eileen___
If you can speak Klingon just take your own life. It's too late for you. You can't unlearn that shit.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 6, 2011, 02:06:05 pm »

That's fair enough, I mean not many rappers come close to those 4.

As for what he's up to now, I believe he's touring with Jay-Z on their "Watch the Throne" tour.

“If people have done things before, you should be able to surpass that. It’s like I’m on the pursuit of awesomeness; excellence is the bare minimum.” - Kanye West

Little backstage teaser here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d7oVj439QlQ?version=3&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d7oVj439QlQ?version=3&amp;amp</a>

As for favourite songs, just off the top of my head:

So Appalled
Never Let Me Down
Last Call
Two Words
Monster
Amazing
Barry Bonds
Niggas in Paris
Murder to Excellence
New Day

Next years G.O.O.D music album will be boss.

~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #221 on: December 7, 2011, 04:24:54 pm »
Can I just say I still haven't gotten sick of hearing that album. Just every aspect of it is so good. If you still haven't heard it, what are you doing with your life?

Agreed, hadn't listened to it in a few months, it really is brilliant. So well produced.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #222 on: December 7, 2011, 07:46:51 pm »
I would say Kanye is the Kings Of Leon of Hip Hip

So overblown by hype and self importance they have sapped any bit of creativity our soul from their music that was actually there thus rendering them only useful to pacer by listeners in their chosen music spheres and the tone deaf.

In short, was good, now total utter shit.

I tried to stop myself, I did.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #223 on: December 9, 2011, 06:49:10 pm »
I would say Kanye is the Kings Of Leon of Hip Hip

So overblown by hype and self importance they have sapped any bit of creativity our soul from their music that was actually there thus rendering them only useful to pacer by listeners in their chosen music spheres and the tone deaf.

In short, was good, now total utter shit.

I tried to stop myself, I did.

You know there are some fucking bangers on his last album Kerry, come on
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #224 on: December 9, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »
You know there are some fucking bangers on his last album Kerry, come on

The last album was immense, you'd swear he only became high profile recently judging by some comments here.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2011, 02:30:32 am »
Last album was very overrated. And he has only become truly high profile recently, before he was only known in Rap circles, with his last two albums he has now transcended that.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2011, 03:26:07 am »
he is a slightly above average rapper

Are you kidding? He's easily on par with Common if not better. He's one of the few mcs in the game that actually tries to talk about real shit. The college dropout was one of the best hip hop albums of modern times without a doubt.

My top ten

1. We don't care
2. Can't tell me nothing
3. Jesus walks
4. Family business
5. Spaceship
6. Everything I am
7. Hey mama
8. The glory
9. Flashing lights
10. Touch the sky (for the beat more than anything)
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »
Last album was very overrated. And he has only become truly high profile recently, before he was only known in Rap circles, with his last two albums he has now transcended that.

The general critical view was that it was an excellent album, and to say he was only known in rap circles before his last two albums is ridiculous really.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2011, 01:34:28 pm »
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2011, 02:01:07 pm »
Are you kidding? He's easily on par with Common if not better. He's one of the few mcs in the game that actually tries to talk about real shit. The college dropout was one of the best hip hop albums of modern times without a doubt.

My top ten

1. We don't care
2. Can't tell me nothing
3. Jesus walks
4. Family business
5. Spaceship
6. Everything I am
7. Hey mama
8. The glory
9. Flashing lights
10. Touch the sky (for the beat more than anything)

Rubbish.

Kanye is a very limited rapper, he doesn't attack concepts the way Common does and most of his content regurgitates around the same lazy topics.

The fact that you make a comment that he is one of the few rappers who tries to talk about real shit is laughable, there are hundreds of rappers who 'try to talk about real shit' and many rappers who are far better than Kanye in a technical sense.

Kanye rarely makes songs like 'Testify' or 'I Used To Love Her', i don't see how you can even argue that Kanye is the superior rapper, and its notable that he rarely even has the best verses on his album, and incidentally your 3rd best song on your list, was written by Rhymefest.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2011, 02:01:58 pm »
The general critical view was that it was an excellent album, and to say he was only known in rap circles before his last two albums is ridiculous really.

I should have said after Gradutation actually, and i don't rely on Rock publications like Pitchfork and Rolling Stones to tell me anything about rap.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »

I should have said after Gradutation actually, and i don't rely on Rock publications like Pitchfork and Rolling Stones to tell me anything about rap.

The last album was a work of genius in my opinion, the best album of 2010, but each to their own. From what I've seen of your posts you know your hip hop, but we all have our own tastes.

However, that secondary point is just utter nonsense. Come off it mate, everybody, and I mean everybody, non rap fans included, have known about Kanye since at least Gold Digger and that was on Late Registration and released as a single in 2005, two years before Graduation. Gold Digger was number one in the US, number one in the UK, it was massive, everybody singing it, referring to it and quoting it, downloading it (it broke a record for the most digital downloads in a week and was also the fastest selling digital download of all time back then) and buying it. It was 2005's second-longest running number one on the Billboard Hot 100 at ten weeks, nominated for Record of the Year at the 2006 Grammy Awards and won the award for Best Rap Solo Performance. Kanye became a household name off the back of that record - even though loads of music fans had been on his first album and tunes like Jesus Walks and Through The Wire before that.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »
Coolie, you know I respect your knowledge on these subjects, but Neil is right. He's been fucking huge since College Dropout - Neil is being nice by saying Late Registration.

Offline mehulb10

• Main Stander
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2011, 04:01:27 pm »
In no particular order:

Through The Wire
Can't Tell Me Nothing
Jesus Walks
Christian Dior Denim Flow
So Appalled
Never Let Me Down
Spaceship
Good Life
Monster
Power

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:26 pm »
The last album was a work of genius in my opinion, the best album of 2010, but each to their own. From what I've seen of your posts you know your hip hop, but we all have our own tastes.

However, that secondary point is just utter nonsense. Come off it mate, everybody, and I mean everybody, non rap fans included, have known about Kanye since at least Gold Digger and that was on Late Registration and released as a single in 2005, two years before Graduation. Gold Digger was number one in the US, number one in the UK, it was massive, everybody singing it, referring to it and quoting it, downloading it (it broke a record for the most digital downloads in a week and was also the fastest selling digital download of all time back then) and buying it. It was 2005's second-longest running number one on the Billboard Hot 100 at ten weeks, nominated for Record of the Year at the 2006 Grammy Awards and won the award for Best Rap Solo Performance. Kanye became a household name off the back of that record - even though loads of music fans had been on his first album and tunes like Jesus Walks and Through The Wire before that.

Your right about that, Goldigger was the breakthrough track i for a second thought it appeared on Graduation though.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2011, 08:53:45 pm »
No worries mate

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2011, 07:59:07 pm »
Listening to Watch the Throne, and I think I like it more than his last album (although a couple of songs in that album were good, I preferred Graduation and Late Registration as albums).

This guy produces some fucking good music...

I should add- I know it's not 'his' per se, but it definitely 'feels' more like a Kanye West album than a Jay Z one...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:04:45 pm by BazC »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2011, 08:08:35 pm »
I was let down a lot by Watch the Throne, thought is was pretty average to be honest. MBDTF was brilliant though, one of my favourites of the last few years.

Offline GoodStuff

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: December 25, 2011, 10:34:22 pm »
Probably my favorite artist. Consistently making amazing music. Love all his albums. but obviously MBDTF is the best. Everything he does is great. Latest favorite track though its old ow is The Joy, loving atm. Favorite produced track atm is Party, Beyonce..

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2012, 04:51:54 am »
Kim Kardashian obviously enjoys woeful music.