Author Topic: UEFA Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg: Atlético Madrid 1 - 0 Liverpool (April 22nd 2010)  (Read 105292 times)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not that arsed about the quality of the performance. Atletico werent exactly outstanding either. One seriously scrambled goal, one half volley while fully stretched, and a shot that Pepe will save all day long is the best they could muster.

I'll take a 1-0 defeat away from home in a European Cup Semi any day. At this stage its not about performances, and how many fuckin corners we never had. Its about being able to take the opposition back to Anfield with a good chance of beating them. Overall, we've done that.

If we'd of played at Anfield first and only won 1-0 then every fucker would have been giving it "Oooooh, 1-0 isnt enough to go to the Calderon" I dont see Atletico being too happy, just glad to get away with a pretty much ill deserved win.

This is what supporting this clubs all about. Embarassed to win the Europa Cup? Embarassed if we win it because we've lost 6 games away in Europe? Fuckin hell - thats whats embarassing.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline WelshKopite

• "I'm done with my negativity...seriously. I'm not posting one more negative thing, quote me on it."
  • Main Stander
I thought you were done being negative? :D

lol, I know man... just get angry and want people to be honest, thats all.

royhendo

I think you've completely missed the point of my post; I was pointing out the inherent contradiction of WeslhKopite's post (the one I quoted) - go take your attitude with me for a long walk.

Why did you take it as 'attitude with you'? I saw it dude, no sweat.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
alright we know you think gerrard's infallible and want so much to fit in, but can you stop the pointless exaggeration, it's getting boring. change the record

Im sorri Im jus tryna b da bestest fan i can b.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
Drop the charades and false bravado lads - it's fucking boring.

If anyone of you can say that wasn't a shite performance, then you need to seriously have your eyes examined.

Dear Mr lachesis

I recently saw you fascinating article linking linguistic difficulties with ocular surgery. I find your thesis fascinating and would like to subscribe to your weekly journal, where can I apply?

Yours in sincerity

DonkeyWan
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
I would give my right testicle for some skillful players in our team. For fucks sake, our players can't even control a simple ball.

We need:
- A couple of skillful wingers/wide players with pace

You see against every club we play against how much the wide players can hurt a team. Robben and Ribery, Valencia and Nani, Messi, Iniesta, Henry, Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott. We don't have something even close to any of these, none of our wide players can do something special. Walcott's not even that skillful, but his pace can hurt teams really bad.

- A playmaker in the middle of the pitch

Lucas and Masch have a great work rate, but no creativity. We need a player in the middle that can get a hold of the ball and control the game. Aquilani might be this player or not, who knows as he never plays.

- A new quality left back

Insua is not good enough, not yet at least. But i would like to keep him as he is a club trained player and is good enough to be back up. Aurelio could have been a really good left back, but he's always injured.

- A back up striker

Torres is in my opinion the best striker in the world, but when he's out Ngog or Kuyt just aren't good enough. We need someone who can do a better job than they can. Every other team has good back up strikers, and so should we.

We need: New owners, new manager, new scouting team.

I used to love Gerrard to bits, but if we were offered decent money for him I'd be tempted. Kuyt should be sold. A major shake up is required across the board.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
Roy...

Stop kidding yourself mate. We've been like this all season, so stop acting like we nearly pulled off a masterful performance by grabbing an equaliser.

Our quality of football is poor - there's no ifs or buts about it. People act like I'm happy we play shit football, I'M FUCKING GUTTED mate, fed up of watching tripe game after game. It wasn't nowhere near classic counter attacking football, their keeper didn't have to make ONE save? And lets be honest, they're not THAT great an outfit.

I know you post on here all the time, and your a respected poster, but cmon man, take the rose-tinters off. I was actually counting the amount of passes we could make tonight, and apart from a few ocassions, we lost the ball after 2, 3 passes. As soon as we're pressed, we lose possession or hoof it. Its the truth. If it was a one-off, I'd think fair enough, but its week after week after week.
spot on.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We need to hold sway in the middle and keep the ball further up the park, but they'll sit deeper so it'll be easier on that front.

You'd think we'll push Johnson and Agger further on, so there'll be hairy moments with the centre halves, but I'd say we need Lucas and Masch in there. If it's still tight with the clock running down, Lucas can push on.

I like Ngog, but I hope he starts Babel.

Babel as striker, roy?

Offline Baz76

• Kopite
Mate, there was only a few mins on the clock when El Zhar came on, plus the grass was a bit too long for Aquilani.

Lucas was our best player IMO tonight.

fuck me! Tell me lad, please tell me what Lucas contributed to tonights game?

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
..DonkeyWan

Hilarious.

And why threads on this site descend into utter drivel instead of addressing the points. But carry on - in fact I'll let you upload it to youtube as your 'bit'. Will be about ten seconds - bit longer than I'd give any of your thoughts on tonights game.

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
Rafa you seem a great bloke but you're negative tactics have got the better of me one too many times. I'm still confident of reaching the final as I don't see these posing too many problems at Anfield but as for Rafa I think he's taken the club about as far as he can.
So as far as he can is another European final then.

Yes Rafa seems to have taken us as far as he can. Frankly I think most other teams in the top half of the Premier League would've gone at them more than we did tonight. He's negative as hell which is holding us back, stifles the talent out of players and constantly makes daft substitutions. Worst of all he never learns from his mistakes.

I could have forgiven him for starting the game with Lucas and Masch in CM this evening. Afterall it's a European semi final played in a potentially hostile environment but as we got towards half time you begin to realise that the opposition are infact rather shite. As soon as you realise you're playing against a piss poor side a good manager should react, take the initiative, and bring on a flair midfielder like Aqua in place of Lucas or Masch and drive forward. But no not Rafa though. A bit more positivity could have easily seen us win that game tonight and have one foot in the final but that's just not his way and that frustrates the hell out of me.

He has "got it" Rafa. We saw glimpses of that at the back end of last season when he came out of his negative shell and "let the reins off" but I'm afraid he's too inhibited. Unless he's prepared to change we're always going to under perform. I wish he would change and become a bit more positive, he seems to love the club and I like him as a person, but I just don't see it happening.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:16:06 pm by Vladi Legend »
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline mally

• Socratease amo
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Dear Mr lachesis

I recently saw you fascinating article linking linguistic difficulties with ocular surgery. I find your thesis fascinating and would like to subscribe to your weekly journal, where can I apply?

Yours in sincerity

DonkeyWan

Awesome

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Anyone know if they are flying back?

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On a point that I don't think has been mentioned, did anyone comment on the kip of the fucking pitch? It looked like Stevie Wonder had give it a once over with a pair of nail scissors in parts, and the rest of it looked like they'd let a few sheep and cows loose on it for their fucking dinner. I don't mean to use it as an excuse, but it could be a reason why so many of our passes either bobbled or simply didn't make it through to their target. It'll be a lot different next week on our carefully mown lush green surface. If the Madrid players are used to slightly overhitting the ball because of their shitty pitch, their passing will be all over the shop next week. Just a thought like.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

hoonin

Why did you take it as 'attitude with you'? I saw it dude, no sweat.

Mals a sound lad. It's his bro' you don't want to cross :D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Gerrard worst player on the pitch again. I can understand why Rafa doesn't take him off - the abuse off the thick media and thicker fans would be too much - but it's painful to see him give away ball after ball after ball after ball after ball and then jog around as if he can't be arsed.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
On a point that I don't think has been mentioned, did anyone comment on the kip of the fucking pitch? It looked like Stevie Wonder had give it a once over with a pair of nail scissors in parts, and the rest of it looked like they'd let a few sheep and cows loose on it for their fucking dinner. I don't mean to use it as an excuse, but it could be a reason why so many of our passes either bobbled or simply didn't make it through to their target. It'll be a lot different next week on our carefully mown lush green surface. If the Madrid players are used to slightly overhitting the ball because of their shitty pitch, their passing will be all over the shop next week. Just a thought like.

It'd go about explaining why so many of our players were slipping all over the place and why so many passes were misplaced.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Yes Rafa seems to have taken us as far as he can. Frankly I think most other teams in the top half of the Premier League would've gone at them more than we did tonight. He's negative as hell which is holding us back, stifles the talent out of players and constantly makes daft substitutions. Worst of all he never learns from his mistakes.

I could have forgiven him for starting the game with Lucas and Masch in CM this evening. Afterall it's a European semi final played in a potentially hostile environment but as we got towards half time you begin to realise that the opposition are infact rather shite. As soon as you realise you're playing against a piss poor side a good manager should react, take the initiative, and bring on a flair midfielder like Aqua in place of Lucas or Masch and drive forward. But no not Rafa though. A bit more positivity could have easily seen us win that game tonight and have one foot in the final but that's just not his way and that frustrates the hell out of me.

He has "got it" Rafa. We saw glimpses of that at the back end of last season when he came out of his negative shell and "let the reins off" but I'm afraid he's too inhibited. Unless he's prepared to change we're always going to under perform.

Ah the old 'He's negative' argument - used especially when he outscored the rest of the league.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Does every thread need to go down these lines?

It is once more split right down the middle with those that knock the team after every single slip up and those that can not accept any form of criticism thrown the teams way. Both equally as bad as each other.

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
Gerrard worst player on the pitch again. I can understand why Rafa doesn't take him off - the abuse off the thick media and thicker fans would be too much - but it's painful to see him give away ball after ball after ball after ball after ball and then jog around as if he can't be arsed.

If Rafa thought Gerrard was playing bad enough to warrant being subbed he'd do it. After all, he did reel him off in a derby match of all matches.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
What was the match threads like on here around 2005 where not every game was won and there was struggles along the way but you won the CL in the end. Even years before that but still picked up some trophies.

You just have to go with the times. Rough and smooth. It happens. Its not an awful result, shite performance perhaps but it won't be the first time. Its a part of supporting a club. Just keep going.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan

Macca, dont you know, all the pitches are the same, just like FIFA10.

Also, forget the travelling and all that bollocks - you just hit 'Start' and play.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
A post of two halves there, no? The keeper's a member of the team aswell mate - we don't get consolation points cos he made the saves - the score was 1-0 because Pepe is our goalie.

Marginal you say? But onside - you'd concede that?
Of course it was onside...I am not denying that. However that linesman doesnt have the luxury or a replay. It was very marginal but actually onside. Nothing like Bayerns a month back when the player was 4 meters offside, and my blind mother could have spotted it.

Yes the keeper is part of our team, and what a fantastic payer he is. Saved us today.
WelshKopite is right. Performances have been awful. Seriously mate...you can see that?

Offline WelshKopite

• "I'm done with my negativity...seriously. I'm not posting one more negative thing, quote me on it."
  • Main Stander
fuck me! Tell me lad, please tell me what Lucas contributed to tonights game?

LOL, well, no-one had a classic, but I thought he retained possession well, his positional sense was good and he actually played our ONLY decent through balls of the match.

But yes, your right, it wasn't vintage stuff, lol, but please highlight a decent performance out there tonight, apart from our usual suspect, Reina?

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.

Agreed, but the reason he doesn't come off is because even when he's playing shit (as he has done 80% of the time this season), he is STILL our biggest threat when Torres isn't playing. That's very depressing.
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
everybody is writing this evening through utter disappointment   ( yet again this season )   weve all been sucked into the Echos, hype of  ' they are gonna pay for this arduous trip '    the annoying factor or worrying factor is the fact that our away form is DESPARATE ,  it must be one of the worst ever in the clubs history ? 

alot of angry words as the norm in a thread re the game just played,  let it lie,   weve got to attack next thursday and defend solidly,  Atletico where barely a danger tonight,  just a spawny goal separates us,  let Rafa do his job, let the season end and let the fun begin in the summer,   theres clearly 'trouble at mill'   im sure it will be clearer over the coming weeks

get behind the team for the last few weeks,  we are still in with a chance of a major European Trophy

hoonin

Worst player? Thought he put in a lot of hard yards up front that Ngog couldn't do and at least showed some determination to make something happen, even if most of it came to nothing. Got next to no support from anyone else in the attacking 3rd.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.

No worse than anyone else imo. They were all fucking wank apart from Reina.

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
What was the match threads like on here around 2005 where not every game was won and there was struggles along the way but you won the CL in the end. Even years before that but still picked up some trophies.

You just have to go with the times. Rough and smooth. It happens. Its not an awful result, shite performance perhaps but it won't be the first time. Its a part of supporting a club. Just keep going.

And this is coming from an Arsenal fan. Good post, people need to, you know.. calm down.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It'd go about explaining why so many of our players were slipping all over the place and why so many passes were misplaced.

I noticed that too - thought Babel needed to change his boots the amount of time he was spending on his arse

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
Ah the old 'He's negative' argument - used especially when he outscored the rest of the league.

So you don't think we're negative away from home? And with all respect didn't we score 69 goals last season? That can't be a highest scoring tally all too often.
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
I love clever dicks like you. The best type of internet comedians.

We will pummel them at Anfield because our mindset will be different. You can win a game by 3, 4-0 and still not play great football you fucking plank.

So, there you go, nothing to be confused about. You can win games by big margins and still not play that great. And in the same breath, you can play outstandingly well and not win the game. See Arsenal last season 4-4. Make sense now?

Goodnight chuckles.

Oh dear someone pointed out that you can't think logically more than 1 sentence at a time & you resort to personals.

I was at the 4-4 last season, we were not brilliant, there were gaps all over the place, gaps that Arshavin exploited. In fact that night a lot of our defending was shambolic.

Anyway, we could well win next week but if we do it'll have little to do with our performance this evening which was not dire.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
Atletico aren't anyway near as good as Benfica.
And they're a bunch of diving, dirty bastards.  Let's raise the bastard roof off next week, just to see Reyes shit himself, the monobrowed, career-choker, fuck off back into your gelled, perfumed hole.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Was a cagey away game in Europe. I'm wondering if some have ever seen them before? You'd think that English teams routinely go abroad every season, winning every game 6-0 and having 135 attacks on goal.

1-0 is a creditable result. Would have been even better if the myopic, shite, French linesman hadn't utterly fucked up that pathetic fucking offside bastard fucking call. The fucking stupid blind fucking twat.

Then it would have been 1-1. I'm beginning to regret the BEF even tried to bail them out now.

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
Worst player? Thought he put in a lot of hard yards up front that Ngog couldn't do and at least showed some determination to make something happen, even if most of it came to nothing. Got next to no support from anyone else in the attacking 3rd.

And there I was thinking I was imagining the work Gerrard was putting in. Seriously, it IS like some fans are turning a blind eye to anything good he does unless he scores and even then he sometimes gets slated.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream

bang on

No worse than anyone else imo. They were all fucking wank apart from Reina.

bang on also

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
Such great insight. How the fuck you're not running the Club is beyond me. You should write a letter to the new Chairman out-lining your masterplan for glory. I'm 100% behind you.
Can I ask a question mate? Why is it when someone questions a decision made by Benitez, be it a substitution or a tactical switch, you suddenly think that whoever made the comment suddenly assumes they're better qualified to manage the club? Are we not allowed to say when we disagree with a decision the manager makes?
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.

Yes. I'm quoting the Arsenal supporter. Listen to him you fuckin tarts.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Watch it again. See the astonishing number of times he gave the ball away. Sometimes trying something a bit stupid, sometimes turning into people for no reason, but most of the time just loafing up at it like a drunken moose.