Author Topic: UEFA Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg: Atlético Madrid 1 - 0 Liverpool (April 22nd 2010)  (Read 105045 times)

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Our £20 Million signing still can't get a game then.

Offline stfabians

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Yes Rafa seems to have taken us as far as he can. Frankly I think most other teams in the top half of the Premier League would've gone at them more than we did tonight. He's negative as hell which is holding us back, stifles the talent out of players and constantly makes daft substitutions. Worst of all he never learns from his mistakes.

I could have forgiven him for starting the game with Lucas and Masch in CM this evening. Afterall it's a European semi final played in a potentially hostile environment but as we got towards half time you begin to realise that the opposition are infact rather shite. As soon as you realise you're playing against a piss poor side a good manager should react, take the initiative, and bring on a flair midfielder like Aqua in place of Lucas or Masch and drive forward. But no not Rafa though. A bit more positivity could have easily seen us win that game tonight and have one foot in the final but that's just not his way and that frustrates the hell out of me.

He has "got it" Rafa. We saw glimpses of that at the back end of last season when he came out of his negative shell and "let the reins off" but I'm afraid he's too inhibited. Unless he's prepared to change we're always going to under perform. I wish he would change and become a bit more positive, he seems to love the club and I like him as a person, but I just don't see it happening.

i really wanna argue with you, but i can't

other will tho, away from home this season has not been good enough - period.

The only person who should be arguing this point is Sir Alex

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
Gerrard worst player on the pitch again. I can understand why Rafa doesn't take him off - the abuse off the thick media and thicker fans would be too much - but it's painful to see him give away ball after ball after ball after ball after ball and then jog around as if he can't be arsed.
No he wasnt. Thought he did ok with what service he had. Been played out of position today in another negative tactical display. Gerrard is not the defending type, but really fought well on the scraps I thought.
I am frustrated that Lucas isnt allowed to wonder forward either, to help Gerrard more.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
which one of you negative doom mongers is roy evans? my money's on Zues. anyone watching tonight on irish tv will know what i mean

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
not the best performance tonight but not the worst result either. with a bit more confidence i think we could have got the important away goal. but its done and dusted now and we're still in with a great shout of going to hamburg.

my concern for next thursday is atletico's pace and quality on the break. If we are struggling to get the goal we need and have to push too far forward, aguero, forlan and simao might get chances to get in behind our defence. If atletico score first we're in big trouble. an early goal for us would be great.

Offline Shankly!Shankly!

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE
    • Inside Forward
we have always played like this in away games and often get through. calm it down for fuck sake.
'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

https://www.insideforward.co.uk/

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
We're getting the replay of the match over here in a couple of hours but apparently it ain't worth watching. 18 losses this season, is that right? Jesus wept.

On another matter, is Z e u s getting bounced outta here? He sure does upset some people! I hope he stays.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Atletico aren't anyway near as good as Benfica.
And they're a bunch of diving, dirty bastards.  Let's raise the bastard roof off next week, just to see Reyes shit himself, the monobrowed, career-choker, fuck off back into your gelled, perfumed hole.

Can somebvody post a picture of this c*nt next to one of that tosser Dean Gaffney from Eastenders?

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
Don't mention the A word.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
everybody is writing this evening through utter disappointment   ( yet again this season )   weve all been sucked into the Echos, hype of  ' they are gonna pay for this arduous trip '    the annoying factor or worrying factor is the fact that our away form is DESPARATE ,  it must be one of the worst ever in the clubs history ? 

alot of angry words as the norm in a thread re the game just played,  let it lie,   weve got to attack next thursday and defend solidly,  Atletico where barely a danger tonight,  just a spawny goal separates us,  let Rafa do his job, let the season end and let the fun begin in the summer,   theres clearly 'trouble at mill'   im sure it will be clearer over the coming weeks

get behind the team for the last few weeks,  we are still in with a chance of a major European Trophy

Who's disappointed? If we play half as well at Anfield with the crowd behind them then we'll go through. If they dive and whine all over the shop like that at Anfield, half their team will have been sent off for being gobshites at half time.

Get on my tits some of these (Especially) Spanish and Portuguese teams doing a diving swan every other fucking minute.

Stay on your feet you soft pansies.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Mals a sound lad. It's his bro' you don't want to cross :D

Cheers G  :D

Seems Roy & I got off on the wrong foot; thought he was having a go at me & all I'd done was point out the inherent contradiction in WelshKopite's post - it equally seems he wasn't having a go so everything's ok...
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
Watch it again. See the astonishing number of times he gave the ball away. Sometimes trying something a bit stupid, sometimes turning into people for no reason, but most of the time just loafing up at it like a drunken moose.

i'd agree he did give the ball away more than most but playing in that position, in that game and with ngog in front of him instead of torres i can forgive him that...thats not having a pop at ngog.

personally i think gerrards days as a support striker are over after this season

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And there I was thinking I was imagining the work Gerrard was putting in. Seriously, it IS like some fans are turning a blind eye to anything good he does unless he scores and even then he sometimes gets slated.

all of our attackers covered a lot of ground tonight.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan

Do you seriously give a fuck?  Just let it go.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
I know a lot of people see a lot of talent in Ngog but I don't see it. Now don't get me wrong, playing up front by yourself isn't easy but I'd much perfer Kuyt to do that job than Ngog.

royhendo

Roy...

Stop kidding yourself mate. We've been like this all season, so stop acting like we nearly pulled off a masterful performance by grabbing an equaliser.

Our quality of football is poor - there's no ifs or buts about it. People act like I'm happy we play shit football, I'M FUCKING GUTTED mate, fed up of watching tripe game after game. It wasn't nowhere near classic counter attacking football, their keeper didn't have to make ONE save? And lets be honest, they're not THAT great an outfit.

I know you post on here all the time, and your a respected poster, but cmon man, take the rose-tinters off. I was actually counting the amount of passes we could make tonight, and apart from a few ocassions, we lost the ball after 2, 3 passes. As soon as we're pressed, we lose possession or hoof it. Its the truth. If it was a one-off, I'd think fair enough, but its week after week after week.

***deep breff***

Maybe you're confusing me with someone else. I watched the game through my fucking fingers and I bet everybody was the same. But the final whistle blew and it was 1-0.

Rose-tinters? All you need to do is fire up the post history mate, and you'll see if there are any fucking rose-tinters.

You're hallucinating if you think I said we nearly pulled off a masterful performance. We had a good ref, a world class keeper, and some poor quality from Atletico.

The fact is it's a UEFA Cup semi final, and that's precious, and we're stil in it. It doesn't matter if it's fucking Fortuna Sittard we're playing or if they're the best side in the world - we're still in it. Right? Full stop. So is it worth preaching about the quality of the football? For me, all that matters on this one occasion is that we're still in it.

Anfield has been a completely different story in the last 2 rounds, and I'm praying we stuff them in the 2nd leg.

Feel free to go and find out if I've been wearing rose-tinted glasses for the whole season. Christ, someone told me they couldn't bear to read my posts the other weak because they were so negative.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Gerrard worst player on the pitch again. I can understand why Rafa doesn't take him off - the abuse off the thick media and thicker fans would be too much - but it's painful to see him give away ball after ball after ball after ball after ball and then jog around as if he can't be arsed.

Think your being harsh on Gerrard myself. No service what so ever tonight.

Sometimes we think Gerrard is superman and can take on the world - well no they is 10 other players in the team as well.

Offline WelshKopite

• "I'm done with my negativity...seriously. I'm not posting one more negative thing, quote me on it."
  • Main Stander
Oh dear someone pointed out that you can't think logically more than 1 sentence at a time & you resort to personals.

I was at the 4-4 last season, we were not brilliant, there were gaps all over the place, gaps that Arshavin exploited. In fact that night a lot of our defending was shambolic.

Anyway, we could well win next week but if we do it'll have little to do with our performance this evening which was not dire.

Sorry about the attack on you mucca, was just a bit angry, sorry.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Roy...

Stop kidding yourself mate. We've been like this all season, so stop acting like we nearly pulled off a masterful performance by grabbing an equaliser.

Our quality of football is poor - there's no ifs or buts about it. People act like I'm happy we play shit football, I'M FUCKING GUTTED mate, fed up of watching tripe game after game. It wasn't nowhere near classic counter attacking football, their keeper didn't have to make ONE save? And lets be honest, they're not THAT great an outfit.

I know you post on here all the time, and your a respected poster, but cmon man, take the rose-tinters off. I was actually counting the amount of passes we could make tonight, and apart from a few ocassions, we lost the ball after 2, 3 passes. As soon as we're pressed, we lose possession or hoof it. Its the truth. If it was a one-off, I'd think fair enough, but its week after week after week.

Accurate, sadly
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Oh dear someone pointed out that you can't think logically more than 1 sentence at a time & you resort to personals.

I was at the 4-4 last season, we were not brilliant, there were gaps all over the place, gaps that Arshavin exploited. In fact that night a lot of our defending was shambolic.

Anyway, we could well win next week but if we do it'll have little to do with our performance this evening which was not dire.

I agree. That fucking 4-4 is the only time I've come out of a match fucking fuming. Was the worst game I have ever been to, or will ever go to. Bar fucking none. There was no fucking game plan from either side. Just fucking kick and wanking fucking rush twatting bollocks. Was fucking fuming. Went mental when some twats suggested it was a 'great game' - was it fuck. Worst game fucking ever. Utter load of fucking wank.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
I can't believe some people expect us to go out and win these type of games 4-0. Maybe they'd be better off supporting Real Madrid with that type of attitude.

Offline Mike Doyle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
After tonight my thoughts on Steven Gerrard have reached boiling point ! At this moment in time, the lads attitude stinks, all he's arsed about is his England career & the only contributions he seems to be making to the team seem to be negative. He's lost his touch, his drive & and his desire too. 

Can I ask all the fans out there with Gerrard biased glasses on, if Lucas was playing like Gerrard is right now, how would you react ? You'd want him out the team ASAP.

Time to face facts, Steven Gerrard needs the biggest kick up the arse he'll ever receive or his Liverpool career as captain and an important squad player will be coming to an abrupt end.

The other players deserve their fair share of the blame but for a Scouse born captain to behave like this is appalling, he's living on a past reputation and needs to sort it out !

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
I am out of here. I dont agree with a lot being said here, and its getting late. Just thought it was a below par performance against a very average team.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
all of our attackers covered a lot of ground tonight.

I'm interested as to why you decided to reply to my comment and not Gareth's? Got a bit of an obsessive thing going on here? Get off my arse, no?
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
I know a lot of people see a lot of talent in Ngog but I don't see it. Now don't get me wrong, playing up front by yourself isn't easy but I'd much perfer Kuyt to do that job than Ngog.
Being a striker requires good movement but you can have the movement of Romario or Henry and you are still going to look shit if your supply is rubbish and a striker is only as good as the chances he is given supply wise. Ngog could become a very good player if he has the right service to him.

But you struggle to keep hold of the ball enough away from home and Ngog suffers from that. At anfield, i still think he can do a good job and i woulnd't be surprised if he turns up next week and gets a goal.

Offline WelshKopite

• "I'm done with my negativity...seriously. I'm not posting one more negative thing, quote me on it."
  • Main Stander

***deep breff***

Maybe you're confusing me with someone else. I watched the game through my fucking fingers and I bet everybody was the same. But the final whistle blew and it was 1-0.

Rose-tinters? All you need to do is fire up the post history mate, and you'll see if there are any fucking rose-tinters.

You're hallucinating if you think I said we nearly pulled off a masterful performance. We had a good ref, a world class keeper, and some poor quality from Atletico.

The fact is it's a UEFA Cup semi final, and that's precious, and we're stil in it. It doesn't matter if it's fucking Fortuna Sittard we're playing or if they're the best side in the world - we're still in it. Right? Full stop. So is it worth preaching about the quality of the football? For me, all that matters on this one occasion is that we're still in it.

Anfield has been a completely different story in the last 2 rounds, and I'm praying we stuff them in the 2nd leg.

Feel free to go and find out if I've been wearing rose-tinted glasses for the whole season. Christ, someone told me they couldn't bear to read my posts the other weak because they were so negative.

Fair enough, I don't really wanna read through all your posts, but your definatley wearing a pair of the finest rose-tinters tonight mate, lol.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

No. Torres is injured.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Do you seriously give a fuck?  Just let it go.

Of course I do. We have fuckin been dire for months, and we have a player worth £20 million sitting on the bench who has all the tools which we are so severly lacking.

The lad should be playing but for some reason, can't get a game. I want to know why Rafa spent £20 million on a bench warmer.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
It's a shame Torres wasn't playing tonight. We would have scored at least once. We had the best chance when Babel put Dirk through - but a poor first touch and a lack of pace meant he didn't even get a shot in. It was the type of chance that Torres scores with his eyes shut.

Atletico were poor and barely capable of stringing three passes together.

Dare I say it. We missed Insua tonight. Danny's a fine player, but he ain't no left back. There wasn't a single overlap on the left tonight.

Incidentally why was Carragher going ballistic after the goal. It was his fault wasn't it? He got nowhere near the fella who crossed and then made an embarrassing hash of the clearance. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
No he wasnt. Thought he did ok with what service he had. Been played out of position today in another negative tactical display. Gerrard is not the defending type, but really fought well on the scraps I thought.
I am frustrated that Lucas isnt allowed to wonder forward either, to help Gerrard more.

He was behind the fucking striker.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
 14.09.2000       1 - 0       Rapid Bucharest       Stadionul Giuleşti       UEFA Cup 1st round 1L
 28.09.2000      0 - 0      Rapid Bucharest      Anfield                      UEFA Cup 1st round 2L
 26.10.2000      1 - 0      Slovan Liberec      Anfield                      UEFA Cup 2nd round 1L
 09.11.2000      3 - 2      Slovan Liberec      U Nisy Stadium      UEFA Cup 2nd round 2L
 23.11.2000      2 - 2      Olympiacos              OAKA                      UEFA Cup 3rd round 1L
 07.12.2000      2 - 0      Olympiacos              Anfield                      UEFA Cup 3rd round 2L
 15.02.2001      2 - 0      AS Roma              Stadio Olimpico      UEFA Cup 4th round 1L
 22.02.2001      0 - 1      AS Roma              Anfield                      UEFA Cup 4th round 2L
 08.03.2001      0 - 0      Porto                      Estadio Das Antas      UEFA Cup 5th round 1L
 15.03.2001      2 - 0      Porto                      Anfield                      UEFA Cup 5th round 2L
 05.04.2001      0 - 0      Barcelona              Nou Camp              UEFA Cup Semi-final 1st leg
 19.04.2001      1 - 0      Barcelona              Anfield                      UEFA Cup Semi-final 2L
 16.05.2001      5 - 4      Alaves                      Westfalen St.      UEFA Cup Final

That's European Football folks.

Always very slim.

Apart from the result, even the 0-2 win in the Stadio Olimpico was pretty dire if I recall correctly.

What were people expecting tonight?

Jesus.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
After tonight my thoughts on Steven Gerrard have reached boiling point ! At this moment in time, the lads attitude stinks, all he's arsed about is his England career & the only contributions he seems to be making to the team seem to be negative. He's lost his touch, his drive & and his desire too. 

Can I ask all the fans out there with Gerrard biased glasses on, if Lucas was playing like Gerrard is right now, how would you react ? You'd want him out the team ASAP.

Time to face facts, Steven Gerrard needs the biggest kick up the arse he'll ever receive or his Liverpool career as captain and an important squad player will be coming to an abrupt end.

The other players deserve their fair share of the blame but for a Scouse born captain to behave like this is appalling, he's living on a past reputation and needs to sort it out !

Oh just forget it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:26:53 pm by Samee »
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
I agree. That fucking 4-4 is the only time I've come out of a match fucking fuming. Was the worst game I have ever been to, or will ever go to. Bar fucking none. There was no fucking game plan from either side. Just fucking kick and wanking fucking rush twatting bollocks. Was fucking fuming. Went mental when some twats suggested it was a 'great game' - was it fuck. Worst game fucking ever. Utter load of fucking wank.

I never said I didn't enjoy it ;)
@ManifoldReasons

hoonin

Watch it again.

To be honest mate I'd rather not. Once was enough!

Possession was given up a fair few times all over the pitch so it's hard to point any one player out for that. We didn't play well so for me I'd rather look ahead to what Gerrard and others can show next week than idle too long on what didn't go so well tonight.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We should bang a few in at home.

Shame Kuyt has such a poor touch otherwise he would of been odds on to score.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
I can't believe some people expect us to go out and win these type of games 4-0. Maybe they'd be better off supporting Real Madrid with that type of attitude.

Roy Evans said that he thought we would win big tonight and he was dissapointed to see our attitude..its as if he had never seen us play away from home in europe under rafa. astonishing stuff from a an ex managers

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
Can somebvody post a picture of this c*nt next to one of that tosser Dean Gaffney from Eastenders?

Just Reyes.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Or maybe not, Real Madrid got twatted in Europe :)

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
they are out tonight aren't they?
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
Sorry about the attack on you mucca, was just a bit angry, sorry.

It's not a problem. All part of the game.
@ManifoldReasons