Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games  (Read 324633 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games
« Reply #3760 on: June 23, 2020, 12:56:50 pm »
Literally just spoiler /spoiler with [] around

Spoiler
cheers
[close]
#Sausages

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #3761 on: June 23, 2020, 11:53:01 pm »
I wonder if they’ll release this for next gen consoles at 60fps.  I loved it at 30fps but 60 looks incredible.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3762 on: June 24, 2020, 06:52:50 am »
I wonder if they’ll release this for next gen consoles at 60fps.  I loved it at 30fps but 60 looks incredible.

Yeah, looks absolutely beautiful on pc with all of the settings turned up high with 60+ fps. Only issue I have is some stuttering in Saint Denis.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a version on the new consoles as Rockstar love to milk a title. On the other hand they're probably pretty busy with developing gta 6, so who knows.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3763 on: June 24, 2020, 07:25:47 am »
They need to fix the input lag first.

Despite the fact i love what they crafted I think it's the reason I struggle to play it for long periods.

I'm not sure we will get a remastered because they will still be busy making money off GTA5 on next gen consoles...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:34:51 am by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3764 on: June 24, 2020, 05:57:08 pm »
Is that on a console? 

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3765 on: June 24, 2020, 06:47:36 pm »

I can see a RDRIII[prequel to RDRII] for next gen consoles maybe formation of the gang to the Blackwater raid.
#Sausages

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3766 on: June 24, 2020, 06:47:46 pm »
Is that on a console?

That specific gif? Probably.

There's a full breakdown of it which DF did last year including PC. It's pretty interesting to be fair

https://youtu.be/fqMqeuwxwVg

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3767 on: June 24, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »
I can see a RDRIII[prequel to RDRII] for next gen consoles maybe formation of the gang to the Blackwater raid.

They’d be crackers not to do more games considering how much they sell.

Arthur as a young gun slinger would be awesome....they seem obsessed with John Marston though (yawn) so it’d probably be him. A prequel of that time might be tricky though considering it’d probably be quite Native American/American civil war heavy which would be tough to get right considering world events right now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #3768 on: June 25, 2020, 12:00:23 am »

Arthur as a young gun slinger would be awesome....they seem obsessed with John Marston though (yawn) so it’d probably be him. A prequel of that time might be tricky though considering it’d probably be quite Native American/American civil war heavy which would be tough to get right considering world events right now.
Perfect timing, specially if they portray America how it really was.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3769 on: June 25, 2020, 01:29:51 am »
I don't see how they could match RDR II to be honest, unless they only focused on improving game play and missions and kept everything else the same. For me, RDR II was the complete and definitive Western/Frontier story taking into account thousands of elements from real life experiences, real-life stories, case studies, Western movies, comics, newspapers, shows, theatre show, music and sounds tracks. It had everything and I can't think of a single thing that they missed out on from that era to be honest. Also, if you were to do a prequel set in the 1860s and 70s, maybe the environments would be less populated and towns much smaller so it wouldn't be as fun I reckon.

To even try and match the world of RDR II and add more would be a significant challenge. Why not try and do something different? Maybe late 1800s peak-immigration NYC in the style of Gangs of New York?
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3770 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:09 am »

I have no doubt that they'll do another game, but it'll be some time coming I imagine. I think that rd2 took around 8 years of development and they'll be doing gta6 before they even start on Rdr3 I'd imagine. I don't believe that the civil war or Indian wars would be an obsticle though. The civil war was only 4 years so they could easily dodge that time period and the various Indian wars were going on throughout the time periods of the first two games (I've recently been rewatching The West doco ;D) so no real change there. I don't feel that the main protagonist would be John either. His story was essential to the main story on Rdr2 as part of Arthur's redemption rather than Rockstar including him for the love of the character. His story after the game has already been told in the first game. If alternately Rockstar chose to set rdr3 prior to rdr2 by 5-10 years he'd simply be too young. Unless rdr3 was centred around John's struggle with puberty I don't see how it would work. I agree that the whole Arthur as a younger man thing would work well, but a  whole new character and story arc would be my preference given that we know how both Arthur's and John's story end.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:18:13 am by Darren G »

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #3771 on: June 27, 2020, 01:23:15 pm »
I played through the story of rdr2 twice during lockdown while I was waiting for the football to come back. I forgot how good a game it is. The end of the story is incredible as well and Arthur is one of the best protagonists in any video game I've played
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #3772 on: June 27, 2020, 03:06:20 pm »
I played through the story again during lockdown and it got me thinking how far technology would have to advance or how far we are away from creating a game on a similar scale to this but be almost completely open ended instead of following an almost closed narrative.

I must start by saying I thought the story in RDR2 was superb so this is not a criticism in anyway just more of an open question influenced by the game. For example imagine if you could chose
Spoiler
not to collect the money from Mr Downes and therefore change the whole arc or leave Dutch’s gang whenever you like and maybe start your own and take some of the gang with you. Choose to leave with Mary and start a life somewhere.
[close]
It’d be a complete open world with an open narrative. You chose how you live in this world
I know the Witcher 3 and other games have had similar when they have a lot of alternate endings and consequences for numerous character but I’m thinking another level up from that where nearly every decision you make has a subsequent reaction
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:09:45 pm by redan »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #3773 on: June 27, 2020, 03:44:50 pm »
To be honest, I think we are still a million lightyears away from that. At the end of the day, everything that happens in a game is something that has been programmed into it and everything has been planned beforehand. People were going mental about No Man's Sky and its huge universe, but in the end it was just a shitloads of planets and creatures put together with parts from a certain tool set. I think technology has come a long way already, but a completely open world where you can do whatever you want and the world changes accordingly is not an option in the near future in my view.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3774 on: June 30, 2020, 07:14:28 pm »
One thing i do like about RDRII the ability to camp out well away the safehouse, & sleep[just avoid camping in the Roanoke Ridge, & surrounding area] to fast forward to a certain time of day/night, & fast travel[i know you can fast travel in GTA V but you cannot not use your own vehicle & have to jump in a taxi to fast travel]
#Sausages

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #3775 on: July 2, 2020, 03:19:06 pm »
Just about to start this game for the first time.

I'll give it a couple of hours before the match.

Very excited.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3776 on: July 3, 2020, 06:04:00 pm »
Just about to start this game for the first time.

I'll give it a couple of hours before the match.

Very excited.

Few tips unless you've read this thread

Playing story mode, don't waste money on buying ammo & weapons all the time in the early chapters, but do upgrade holsters & such so you can, as they carry more ammo.

Watch out for ambushes by rival gangs

Try & upgrade camp as quick as you can so you can get fast travel mose, once available fast travel appears every time you camp out in the wilderness, as well as at camp it's on the side of the wagon where your character sleeps, but avoid camping anywhere in the Roanoke Ridge area, that spawns the Murfree Brood gang that kill for fun, even when you're camping.

Spoiler
Be careful when you going for Dutch's pipe for the item request, a bear will spawn inside his cabin, so go to a safe distance to too far from the cabin, fire off a couple of shots, the bear will come out of the cabin & try to attack you, but you should be able to see the bear & shoot it dead[will need a few bullets to shoot it dead] if you're at a safe distance

Be wary too when picking plants & herbs as snakes can spawn near you
[close]

Anyway, enjoy.
#Sausages

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3777 on: July 3, 2020, 09:49:55 pm »
go to lake berryessa

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #3778 on: July 4, 2020, 06:07:39 pm »
Thanks for those tips. I have been reading bits and bat's on here.

Just moved camps for the first time to horseshoe overlook, and so really not far in, but already feeling pretty overwhelmed.

Its beautiful though.

I went for a wander to the lake earlier and saw two Odriscolls stood near some trees and they were yelling at me to move on. I ended up putting them down as I was hesitant at first and they made the first move.

Was it wise or should you leave them be?
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #3779 on: July 4, 2020, 06:10:06 pm »
Thanks for those tips. I have been reading bits and bat's on here.

Just moved camps for the first time to horseshoe overlook, and so really not far in, but already feeling pretty overwhelmed.

Its beautiful though.

I went for a wander to the lake earlier and saw two Odriscolls stood near some trees and they were yelling at me to move on. I ended up putting them down as I was hesitant at first and they made the first move.

Was it wise or should you leave them be?
Enjoy it mate. Such a good game. About the O'Driscolls, you wont get a bounty for killing them, I generally kill any O'Driscoll that I see!
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3780 on: July 4, 2020, 10:34:41 pm »
My favourite mission has to be chapter 3, "The New South" mission, the camaraderie & stories being told between Dutch, Hosea & Arthur when they're fishing makes this mission then the row back to the camp, for me this is RDRII at it's best.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3781 on: July 5, 2020, 07:26:55 am »
Enjoy it mate. Such a good game. About the O'Driscolls, you wont get a bounty for killing them, I generally kill any O'Driscoll that I see!

Same with me, with any rival outlaw gang members just shoot them dead, you won't lose any honour & wont get any law alert[you gain honour if you kill rival outlaws spotted robbing strangers], there's a kKK meeting that takes place in the woods near Matlock Pond, you get an honour level increase if you kill them.

Oh yeah, when you kill rival outlaws make sure you loot their body's too, can get things such as more ammo, chewing tobacco, little bit of money ecc

« Last Edit: July 5, 2020, 08:15:40 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3782 on: July 5, 2020, 09:51:42 am »
Another tip be wary of any wagon seemingly abandoned at the side of the trail, the wagon could well be loaded with dynamite & will set off as you go past it, frightening your horse so much that you'll be thrown off your horse, & set of an ambush against you.

One of these ambush locations in chapter 3, is a corner of the trail to camp from Rhodes 
#Sausages

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3783 on: July 5, 2020, 10:01:48 am »
I feel like you’re dropping a load of spoilers here mate ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #3784 on: July 5, 2020, 12:02:00 pm »
Feel like half the fun of the game is stumbling across this stuff as it happens and to play it best you feel.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3785 on: July 5, 2020, 10:27:49 pm »
I feel like you’re dropping a load of spoilers here mate ;D

;D

The spoilers i'm posting are between missions & not the missions themselves. ;)
#Sausages

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3786 on: July 6, 2020, 11:41:41 pm »
Just got this at the weekend, as I got a new graphics card and wanted to run something beautiful on it. Was not disappointed, the game looks stunning. I'm just in chapter two but I don't want to rush the plot along too fast so I've just been riding around hunting and bumping into random people so far. Really impressed anyway!

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3787 on: July 7, 2020, 03:58:10 am »
;D

The spoilers i'm posting are between missions & not the missions themselves. ;)

You're still detracting from the experience for new players by telling them what's going to happen in certain scenarios though. Don't want to sound like I'm attacking you, but I agree with Fucking Appauled.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3788 on: July 9, 2020, 04:32:47 pm »
I'm about 15% through the story and to say I'm underwhelmed so far would be an understatement. The missions aren't very interesting and travelling between places is so boring and monotonous after about 30 seconds. I can see why other people would enjoy it because it looks great and if you like storylines that are extremely slow burners it's probably right up your street. I shall probably continue playing through because I don't like quitting halfway, but it's a once only thing and then I'll flog it to Cex or something.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3789 on: July 9, 2020, 11:29:05 pm »
I'm about 15% through the story and to say I'm underwhelmed so far would be an understatement. The missions aren't very interesting and travelling between places is so boring and monotonous after about 30 seconds. I can see why other people would enjoy it because it looks great and if you like storylines that are extremely slow burners it's probably right up your street. I shall probably continue playing through because I don't like quitting halfway, but it's a once only thing and then I'll flog it to Cex or something.
The game is boring as fuck you need to have real patience to enjoy it. I think it's the perfect game for people who don't have much going on in life and can put the time and effort in. My attention span is very limited, so I prefer fun gaming that captures your focus right away.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:02:03 am by Dynasty »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: July 10, 2020, 06:58:52 am »
The game is boring as fuck you need to have real patience to enjoy it. I think it's the perfect game for people who don't have much going on in life and can put the time and effort in. My attention span is very limited, so I prefer fun gaming that captures your focus right away.

But you finished TLOU2 in 1 day?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3791 on: July 10, 2020, 07:12:15 am »
 ;D

The thing is a timesink but it makes me wonder just how blasé you'd need to be to find the experience of being in the world utterly stultifying. There's a coherency and a beauty to the world that verges on art. You could play it as a walking simulator, and it not be a total waste of time.

Really though when you're riding, the cores system is your priority. Get a little routine. Feed your horse, clean it, feed yourself, top up stamina.

Riding is boss. I don't know how everybody else hunts, but I just ignore the bait system entirely and ride around with the varmint and Springfield rifles in my loadout. (the Springfield only fires one shot before reload, so you can actually use DeadEye to place the shot on the animal!)

No, it's not a game you play for 15 minutes then go to bed happy. It's a scripted, storylined simulation of the Old West. That's the intent.

Which is why I suppose you get people who think it's a bad thing to have patience. Trust me, it gets plenty immediate when you know what you're doing. I think your first dozen hours are almost guaranteed to be spent a bit lost & overwhelmed, and the first couple chapters are basically tutorials. I'd even say the sweet spot exists outside the actual storyline...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 07:13:53 am by ToneLa »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3792 on: July 10, 2020, 08:41:35 am »
If you’re bored riding about, just head into a little town and shoot the place up then take out the law. Much more fun riding around with bounty hunters appearing very now and then.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #3793 on: July 10, 2020, 10:18:23 am »
I've been playing a couple of hours now, I'm on chapter 2 and I can see both sides of the argument.

It looks beautiful but I can understand why people get overwhelmed or bored and give up.

The controls system is just too clunky and unnatural. It's over complicated in places where it doesn't need to be. I do understand though that it could be because I'm coming off the back of sinking 100 plus hours into AC Odyssey.

I do think the game is clumsy. Twice now I have done two small side missions which have ended up badly.

First one I was helping a stranger who's horse had fallen on her. I helped her up and offered to take her home. When we were walking to my horse we bumped into each other and she screamed and ran off. There was no way to calm the situation either.

The next time I was returning a horse to someone after I borrowed it to chase someone, upon returning the gentlemen was so pleased to see I was bringing his horse back, the dialogue had started and then I got of my horse, who accidently knocked into him and he went apeshit!

I will persist with it though because I am beginning to find enjoyment in it other than its looks.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3794 on: July 10, 2020, 10:39:25 am »
A lot of the controls / physics clunkiness (which I see what they were going for, but opening drawers takes in third person takes forever) just doesn't exist in first-person. First person shooting, third-person horse riding is the way to go IMO

Waiting for the OpenIV team to crack it really. GTAV ended up with mods that restored GTAIV's physics and such. RDR2 could use that level of modding! One day soon.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3795 on: July 10, 2020, 01:44:41 pm »

That's the early missions for you though, RDRII missions get better from end of chapter 2
Spoiler
you're shooting in every mission in Chapter 5, as much as i dislike being in the Beaver Hollow camp, the missions in chapter 6 are epic
[close]

I love to roam between missions to one of the hills above Rhodes, get a good view to the east, & watch the morning sunrise
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:50:08 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3796 on: July 10, 2020, 01:57:38 pm »
It took me playing story mode through 3 times before i started enjoying it[i know that's a lot of hours], i take time to stop off in camp between missions, rather than playing the next mission at once, unless the story is set up to play the next mission once you've finished the previous mission, some of the dialog other gang members have in camp between each other is exceptional.
Spoiler
oh & everyone else in the gang apart from Dutch loathes Micha, there's a classic confrontation in camp between Micha & Charles
[close]
#Sausages

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3797 on: July 10, 2020, 05:14:07 pm »
This is my third playthrough and I'm still discovering new stuff the gang say or do in camp!

It's just packed with content. If you can't enjoy Sean, then you may as well uninstall it  :D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3798 on: July 11, 2020, 11:58:23 am »
Don't remember sharing this before but I have the official guide in my Onedrive (click and when Onedrive opens just click Download, it's a PDF)

I think to get the most out of this game it helps to know a lot of it. Full walkthrough n that, but honestly the most useful stuff for me is where all the unique hats are  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 12:00:44 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3799 on: July 11, 2020, 05:37:47 pm »
I've been playing a couple of hours now, I'm on chapter 2 and I can see both sides of the argument.

It looks beautiful but I can understand why people get overwhelmed or bored and give up.

The controls system is just too clunky and unnatural. It's over complicated in places where it doesn't need to be. I do understand though that it could be because I'm coming off the back of sinking 100 plus hours into AC Odyssey.

I do think the game is clumsy. Twice now I have done two small side missions which have ended up badly.

First one I was helping a stranger who's horse had fallen on her. I helped her up and offered to take her home. When we were walking to my horse we bumped into each other and she screamed and ran off. There was no way to calm the situation either.

The next time I was returning a horse to someone after I borrowed it to chase someone, upon returning the gentlemen was so pleased to see I was bringing his horse back, the dialogue had started and then I got of my horse, who accidently knocked into him and he went apeshit!

I will persist with it though because I am beginning to find enjoyment in it other than its looks.

Haha, I've had some situations like that too that annoyed me a bit. I was helping some fella clean rats out of his bar in St Denis. I was carefully doing it with my bow to not cause a scene.  At some point panning the camera around looking for rats I had my bow pointed near the fella and he ran and called the police on me. I stepped outside with my bow still in hand and they shot me.

Another time I had just finished helping someone and went to get back on my horse, but the horse was by the lady and it seems the "get on horse" button is the same as the "choke" button so I just randomly murdered her in the middle of a busy street.

Oh well, besides those hiccups I'm really enjoying it.

I'm still on C2 and the next mission I have is to
Spoiler
bust Micha out of prison
[close]

but I can't be arsed with him at all so I've just been hunting to upgrade my satchels.