Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games  (Read 324661 times)

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
Re: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games
« Reply #3600 on: March 15, 2019, 06:41:25 pm »
I never really got the chance to sit and talk at any campsites as they always told me to clear off when I went anywhere near them, seemed to happen even when my reputation was pretty good. They would always say something rude and I'd have to kill them.

I always hogtie them, no honour lost and then listen to them bitch til Arthur made some quip about coming back for them later or something as I rode off  ;D

Just finally finished the single player 100%, loved every minute of it. Loved the first one and this didn't disappoint as a follow up.

Gonna give online a go at some point before I ride off into the distance from RDR  :(

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3601 on: March 21, 2019, 10:58:15 am »
Just made it to the Epilogue last night.

Spoiler
What a game. What a brilliant, emotional, moving piece of writing and story telling. Superb characters, superb pacing, superb arcs and development. It's been a long, long time since I've been moved like that by a video game.

Arthur Morgan was a good guy in my world. Hunter, gatherer, crafter and killer, but rarely as a result of murderous intent. The letter Mary sent describing a good guy wrestling with a giant was a perfect metaphor for him in my view.

The dynamic story telling (if that's the right phrase) is immense, this is rockstar after all, but they continue to set the bar. An example, I was travelling through St Denis heading to a mission marker when it disappeared. My first thought was that it was day/night based and as result had disappeard, then I thought the game had crashed has I initially lost control of Arthur, then he collapsed. I knew something was bad, and had seen it coming from the foreshadowing coughs that had developed and his general state of appearnace, but when the TB diagnosis was given, and you realise it's a death sentence, I mean, wow. That hazy, dream like walk from the doctors office and the first stag citing.. Just gorgeous.

The extra missions you pick up along the way as a result of high honour carry a load of weight as a result of the actions and earlier side quests. The chat with the nun at the train station was brilliantly done and set him up for the conclusion to the main storyline.

The final mission. Just brilliant. I'd been holding out hope for a Native American TB cure, or one of the characters from earlier side/main missions coming through for him, but when those Pinkerton motherfuckers killed my horse I knew. I think Arthur does too. I love how the game recognises the bond between Arthur and his horse at that point. After I'd elected to help John escape and then forced him to go alone there was a moment of hope as Micah jumped on me and took us away from the police. That fight was brutal as well. Haven't tapped a pad's button so hard since the days of olympics games on the Megadrive. So close to getting him over the edge, so close multiple times. The ending sunset and the final stag vision just a brilliantly cinematic end to one of the best story driven games I've played.

Obviously being a red-dead veteran I'd considered the possibility of the Epilogue. I'd reluctantly accepted that saving Arthur may be out of my control. I'd noticed the growing bond and trust between him and Marston. I thought they might do it. They didn't disappoint. What a superbly brilliant obvious way to tie these two games together. After Arthur's closing scene fades to black and the cutscene of John, Abigail and Jack riding along in the wagon switches back to player control there's this immediate "Stamina at 60%" message once you get control of Jack. So simple. So perfect.

Time to play through the Epilogue now. I've heard via a friend that survivors from the gang still live in the world, but that's the limit I want spoiled for me. My first mission will be to track down Arthurs final resting place in the desperate hope I engage John's "Eagle eye/hunting vision" and find a clue as to what happened next. I can't lie, a small piece of me wants to find a note saying something like "But it just wasn't my time. AM"

After that, close out the side quests, I hear they account for Arthur's death/John being the protagonist, and then will start this again.

I fear the re-incarnation of Arthur Morgan may turn out to be a lot darker, a lot more evil.

Critically speaking, the game has flaws - random switching of square/triangle buttons to interact with things, occasional issues with steering of horses, the slightest collision with someone leading to a full out shootout. But in the wider scheme of things, they fade into inconsequential, minor complaints. With a world that alive, that gorgeous, wildlife that realistic and terrifying, characters and story so well developed, written and acted, who cares.

Immense. An utter pleasure to play through.

[close]

Non-spoiler summary - I enjoyed it a lot.

What a lovely post, Wige. I got to the exact same bit the other night. Honestly, a game has never taken my breath away in that manner. Superb stuff.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3602 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:01 am »
Thanks dude.

I've done a few Epilogue missions but got sidetracked by The Division. Will definitely be coming back to this in the future though. Second play through will likely be something that lasts for months/years and I keep coming back to for a few hours here and there.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #3603 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:17 am »
Put some proper time into this lately, having had it and not really played it at all. Ive just set up camp atop of horseshoe overlook, killed a dear for the camp, played some poker, rescued a drunk priest and rode around a bit - It's a savage game so far but It's all nearly a little overwhelming, in the sense that there is nearly too much to do in order to find the normal flow of the story.

Remembering to shave, keep clean, keep fed, clean your horse, donate to camp, controls for the horse, topping up deadeye, picking up shit, looting people etc. Anyone else feel like there is just a little too much to be thinking about or doing taking away from the actual story?

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3604 on: March 22, 2019, 10:51:56 am »
Put some proper time into this lately, having had it and not really played it at all. Ive just set up camp atop of horseshoe overlook, killed a dear for the camp, played some poker, rescued a drunk priest and rode around a bit - It's a savage game so far but It's all nearly a little overwhelming, in the sense that there is nearly too much to do in order to find the normal flow of the story.

Remembering to shave, keep clean, keep fed, clean your horse, donate to camp, controls for the horse, topping up deadeye, picking up shit, looting people etc. Anyone else feel like there is just a little too much to be thinking about or doing taking away from the actual story?

this was my problem with it, when you work full time with a mrs etc it's difficult to commit so much time to it and I did really enjoy the main missions when I actually go to them.. which was pretty rare. I couldn't travel from mission to the next without having to do 5 things in between and by the time I'd done that I had to turn it off and cause I needed to do something else, just really been struggling to get into it.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3605 on: May 1, 2019, 12:28:30 am »
Does anyone know : if you start a legendary animal hunt (i.e. you find the first bit of gold fairy dust) but don't see it through, does that mean you'll never be able to find it again? I found the first clue for the Legendary Deer but didn't finish; since then I've been back to the area a dozen times and never seen the pixie dust again. Tried at different times of day, expanded the search in case the exact starting point varies... Nothing.

I can relate to the above posts about the frustration of not having adequate free time. I've got two kids under 3 and a demanding job so I only get the occasional 30/60 min session (hence not finishing off the deer) . I've not done a story mission for a month (the only one on the map is the Blackwater rescue so I figure that'll start a new chapter). But that's cool, I want to build up more xp, weaponry, skills, trinkets etc. before I get into the guts of it. Plus I just find it therapeutic to live a vicarious life of freedom and fresh air. :D

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3606 on: May 1, 2019, 10:04:13 am »
Now that the hype has calmed down, was this an 11 out of 10 game? I do not doubt that the hype was more than justified, but I haven’t seen or heard much from it lately. Games like Skyrim and GTA V still live on to a certain degree.
I’m not fishing for a discussion here, it’s a genuine question. I’m going to buy it when it goes on sale regardless

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3607 on: May 1, 2019, 10:24:47 am »
I played it slowly when I could fit in in and I only just finished this weekend after over 100 hours.

Very rarely have I felt such emotional attachment and the need to play a game for 100+ hours.

I've also never played the first one but I've since ordered it to play it as my next game.

For me, it was a masterpiece in story telling.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3608 on: May 1, 2019, 02:33:36 pm »
Now that the hype has calmed down, was this an 11 out of 10 game? I do not doubt that the hype was more than justified, but I haven’t seen or heard much from it lately. Games like Skyrim and GTA V still live on to a certain degree.
I’m not fishing for a discussion here, it’s a genuine question. I’m going to buy it when it goes on sale regardless

Kinda like Mattybeard's post below yours, it's a masterpiece of a character story I think.

The gameplay itself, well I think that's down to personal preference. It repays you to play it at the pace the game wants you to, ie, slowly I think. Take the time to hunt, to explore, to go off the beaten track, to listen to the discussions around camp - all of that. The depth of the world that's been created should really be experienced I think, it truly is stunning.

If you like GTA games, this is a no-brainer imo.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3609 on: May 1, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »
Its not 11 out of 10 for me. It was never 10 out of 10.

Theres a fine line between when a game stops being a game, for me RDR2 stepped over that. I love loads of things about it and prefer it over the first, I prefer the characters, the size of the world and such but it's not really a game, the gameplay elements are repetitive, clunky, needless. I dont need to hammer a nail into a piece of wood over and over again to make it feel like I'm hammering a nail into a piece of wood.

The story is good, the depth of the characters and world you roam in is fantastic but I just never really enjoyed the gamey elements to it. They are basic, they aren't fun. Its probably why people enjoy spending most their time fishing and hunting and just riding a horse.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3610 on: May 1, 2019, 05:35:19 pm »
Does anyone know : if you start a legendary animal hunt (i.e. you find the first bit of gold fairy dust) but don't see it through, does that mean you'll never be able to find it again? I found the first clue for the Legendary Deer but didn't finish; since then I've been back to the area a dozen times and never seen the pixie dust again. Tried at different times of day, expanded the search in case the exact starting point varies... Nothing.

You will always find it in or around the same area,what often happens if you don't make the kill is that lots of other animals come into the search zone and you are told that you're unable to track (Legendary) because there's too much activity.Kill everything,have a rest & then extit and enter the area again.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3611 on: May 3, 2019, 07:09:22 pm »

Theres a fine line between when a game stops being a game, for me RDR2 stepped over that. I love loads of things about it and prefer it over the first, I prefer the characters, the size of the world and such but it's not really a game, the gameplay elements are repetitive, clunky, needless. I dont need to hammer a nail into a piece of wood over and over again to make it feel like I'm hammering a nail into a piece of wood.

The story is good, the depth of the characters and world you roam in is fantastic but I just never really enjoyed the gamey elements to it. They are basic, they aren't fun. Its probably why people enjoy spending most their time fishing and hunting and just riding a horse.

;D

Literally 2 minutes of the game, if that.

Completed it 100% last week....fuck that’s a hell of a slog.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #3612 on: May 3, 2019, 07:23:37 pm »

Agree with all of this. A stunning game in so many ways, but not one I have any desire to return to. For the reasons you stated.

;D

Literally 2 minutes of the game, if that.

Think he means those type of mechanics in general. There's a lot of tedious missions like that one.

If you loved it though, then fair play. It's one of those games where if you do love it, you're gonna get an absolute ton of entertainment for your money.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3613 on: May 4, 2019, 04:54:08 am »

You will always find it in or around the same area,what often happens if you don't make the kill is that lots of other animals come into the search zone and you are told that you're unable to track (Legendary) because there's too much activity.Kill everything,have a rest & then extit and enter the area again.

Thanks for that. I killed a bunch of wolves, scared off a black bear, wiped out an O'Driscoll camp and eventually found the pixie dust again. Still haven't tracked the bugger down because I have a $300 bounty and the hunters keep breaking it up. So I just kept massacring the fuckets, sold the loot to a fence for $450, and now I can clear the bounty and hopefully hunt in peace. Speaking of the hunters, those larger waves are dropping platinum bands and watches, so it's tempting to just keep killing and boosting the camp coffers. Guess I can always rob a few stores to trigger more waves once I've iced a few trophy beasts. I love this game. :D

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #3614 on: May 4, 2019, 06:26:25 am »
Finished the story and am gutted its over.

Decided to try and complete GTA 5 now to fill the void and keep finding myself trying to whistle for my car/horse
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3615 on: May 4, 2019, 10:49:03 am »
Think he means those type of mechanics in general. There's a lot of tedious missions like that one.

Are there? I can remember....two? Both in the epilogue, both lasting a couple of minutes.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3616 on: May 4, 2019, 11:27:07 am »
I spent over about two hours last week tracking down and taming the white Arabian horse, the fucker kept going behind a tree when I was trying to calm it and kicking me off.  Eventually got it under control and started to bond with it over a few days until I went to Saint Dennis and got ambushed and they killed me and the horse.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3617 on: May 4, 2019, 05:40:22 pm »
Agree with all of this. A stunning game in so many ways, but not one I have any desire to return to. For the reasons you stated.

If you loved it though, then fair play. It's one of those games where if you do love it, you're gonna get an absolute ton of entertainment for your money.

I have never seen a game take the “are you suuuure?” mechanic as far as Red Dead Redemption 2. You even have to hold a button to open your satchel, which is an action you need to do constantly throughout the game, to the point of annoyance. You also have to hold a button to close shop menus and many other common activities. And not for short times, either! It takes a few dang seconds. Combine all these with the laborious multi-step processes of doing simple things like making coffee or grabbing guns from your horse, and it makes for one of the most tiresome gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

Compare this with how easy it is to shoot strangers you don’t mean to in the early part of the game, and you’ll see the crisis of contradiction immediately. All these conflicting signals and instructions make for one giant catch-22: The design of the game is so scared I may make a mistake that it gives me more chances to make mistakes. Meaning Red Dead Redemption 2’s design is so busy making it hard for you to do the wrong thing that it makes it impossible for you to do anything. And the cumulative cost of these decisions is extraordinary.   

Its actually a good article and difficult to argue with any of it, the design choices are just plain bad at times. Thats the reason GoW won so many more GOTY awards.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/22/18298277/red-dead-redemption-2-review-rdr2-story-design-criticism

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3618 on: May 4, 2019, 11:46:33 pm »
I got 2 or 3 chapters in and its been sat on my shelf gathering dust ever since. Just didn't grab me in the slightest.

Like people have mentioned above, it's a bit too realistic and stops being a game after a while.

I don't want to have to put on a coat because there's a slight breeze. I don't want to have to clean my guns because I walked through a puddle and now they won't shoot straight. I don't want to have to sit in a camp and mark every single one of my bullets so that they're a bit more powerful. It's dull and it's not what a game should be, fun.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #3619 on: May 5, 2019, 11:02:59 pm »
I got 2 or 3 chapters in and its been sat on my shelf gathering dust ever since. Just didn't grab me in the slightest.

Like people have mentioned above, it's a bit too realistic and stops being a game after a while.

I don't want to have to put on a coat because there's a slight breeze. I don't want to have to clean my guns because I walked through a puddle and now they won't shoot straight. I don't want to have to sit in a camp and mark every single one of my bullets so that they're a bit more powerful. It's dull and it's not what a game should be, fun.

In fairness you can pretty much ignore all of that stuff if you want to.

At the start I worried about all the upkeep stuff then after a few chapters I'd long given up. I changed outfits a couple of times/shaved because I could afford to, and it was a laugh. I never crafted anything. I never washed myself or the horses. I cleaned the guns only when the game prompted me and that was very infrequent.

The only thing you really have to do is feed yourself and your horse, and even that is extremely staightforward.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: May 11, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »

Did the same the other day mate. Those fucking egrets.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: May 11, 2019, 10:01:16 pm »

Did the same the other day mate. Those fucking egrets.

That’d be my one major criticism of it  ;D

If you want to complete it 100% it really isn’t fun at the end. Just riding around looking for rock carvings, dinosaur bones, herbs, orchids and birds.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #3622 on: May 14, 2019, 07:41:03 am »
Reckon I have finished about 72% of the main story, and 60% overall. Been playing at a very slow pace for the last few weeks. I don't really want to end it, truth told.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3623 on: May 14, 2019, 04:39:25 pm »
Reckon I have finished about 72% of the main story, and 60% overall. Been playing at a very slow pace for the last few weeks. I don't really want to end it, truth told.

The end sneaks up on you as well.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3624 on: May 19, 2019, 08:47:49 pm »
Does the new update have anything for single player mode or is it all catered towards the online mob?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3625 on: May 19, 2019, 09:09:58 pm »
Does the new update have anything for single player mode or is it all catered towards the online mob?

No idea,I just hope that they've not fixed the 106 gold bar glitch  ;D

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3626 on: May 20, 2019, 09:13:09 pm »

No idea,I just hope that they've not fixed the 106 gold bar glitch  ;D

Was only asking as I've just installed the game and will play it for the first time later  ;D Very late to party with this, been waiting for the missus little sister to complete it!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3627 on: May 24, 2019, 12:58:31 pm »
New update fixes the hdr issue. Which is great because the previous implementation was terrible.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3628 on: May 24, 2019, 06:05:11 pm »
New update fixes the hdr issue. Which is great because the previous implementation was terrible.

Still looks rubbish for me on a Sony XE9005.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3629 on: May 25, 2019, 07:40:30 am »
Still looks rubbish for me on a Sony XE9005.

Have you selected game mode and not cinematic. Apparently cinematic is just the same as the original.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3630 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:43 am »
Once you complete the main story, are you free to roam around completing all the little side missions and quests and hunting challenges etc?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3631 on: May 31, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
Once you complete the main story, are you free to roam around completing all the little side missions and quests and hunting challenges etc?

Yeah

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3632 on: May 31, 2019, 12:01:30 pm »
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3633 on: June 17, 2019, 12:26:52 pm »
Another potential daft question - is there only one legendary animal for each species?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3634 on: June 17, 2019, 12:32:16 pm »
Another potential daft question - is there only one legendary animal for each species?

Yeah, not even for each species to be fair. Shame there wasn’t a legendary rat or toad.

They don’t disappear until you’ve got them though, so you don’t miss your chance or anything. And if you get the pelt and then die it still goes to the trapper.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3635 on: June 17, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »
Yeah, not even for each species to be fair. Shame there wasn’t a legendary rat or toad.

They don’t disappear until you’ve got them though, so you don’t miss your chance or anything. And if you get thevoeot abd then die it still goes to the trapper.

Cool! :)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3636 on: September 14, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »
Put the disc in for the first time in a while for evening of roaming around and hunting. A sublime game that I’ve genuinely formed an emotional attachment to - forget online.

Made a second save after I finished the game back in November - I refuse to leave Clemens Point ;D

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3637 on: October 18, 2019, 09:47:04 pm »
Just seen the trailer for the PC version.  Looks like I'll be buying this twice.  Damn you Rockstar!!!

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3638 on: October 18, 2019, 10:04:37 pm »
Just seen the trailer for the PC version.  Looks like I'll be buying this twice.  Damn you Rockstar!!!
I'll finally get to actually play the game

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3639 on: November 6, 2019, 04:39:32 pm »
didn't realise there's a PC version out, tempted since I prefer PC gaming anyway but think you'd need a very decent rig to run it nicely
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017