Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1070122 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15080 on: May 19, 2020, 03:57:12 pm »
If you visit the forum, people who finish the entire program don't think they're fully fluent. They suggest supplementing Duolingo with another program.

I'm not naive. I don't have anyone to speak French to regularly, so I won't ever be fully fluent. You need to use it. I plan to visit Quebec 2-3 times per year, maybe a French island or France someday, so as long as I can order food, check in at a hotel, and ask basic questions on the street I'll be happy. I'd love to watch French movies or TV shows without subtitles, but right now I'm lost trying that.

Good luck! :)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15081 on: May 19, 2020, 04:22:28 pm »
It's very much true in France. Take a word as simple as "yes".

Paris, Marseille, Tours, Lyon - they all say "oui" differently. The difference between the Tours accent (allegedly the 'purest' form of French) and the Marseille one (allegedly the 'worst'!) is staggering. They may as well be two totally different words........

In Slovenia, it's apparently very easy to hear the difference between someone from Ljubljana and Metlika (down on the Croatian border).

In Sweden, the difference between Malmö and Stockholm and Skellefteå is equally staggering. I

'd say it's pretty universal. It gets tricky when trying to attach labels like 'country bumpkin' (presumably alluding to the stronger SW dialects).

I was told, when living in Cornwall, that even different villages have distinctive dialects but I think they were on a wind-up!

They also greet differently in France. In Languedoc for example its three kisses on the cheek in other parts of France it is two. They have lots of regional accents that is correct. I said Oui like some from Languedoc and my Northern friends found it funny. Also. Ive never heard anyone says oui ( wee ) like weve been told in England as its more of a weh. Lots of French people dont class themselves as true French either . You have the Occitanes for example who have more in common with the Cataluyns . The Bretons too have more in common they tell me with someone from Cornwall then someone from Paris for example. I love the country and all things French too and thought I'd settle there at one point but the Universe had other plans. From 2010 to about 2017 I reckon I totalled about 4 - 5 years there . Off grid communities , the grape harvest , selling jewellery at little hippy fests , massage or just chilling. A trip there will happen when all this bullshit is over and possibly helping in the kitchen at my favourite chateau in Beajalais as Iam not putting my body through the actual harvest ever again.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:30:51 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15082 on: May 19, 2020, 04:43:52 pm »
I said Oui like some from Languedoc and my Northern friends found it funny. Also. Ive never heard anyone says oui ( wee ) like weve been told in England as its more of a weh. Lots of French people dont class themselves as true French either .

In Swiss French it is pretty much 'wee'.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15083 on: May 19, 2020, 05:53:46 pm »

Thats Switzerland though   ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #15084 on: May 19, 2020, 06:09:11 pm »
How do you say hello in French Gerry?

Bonjour, mon canard?
Be VERY careful how you pronounce that word :lmao

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15085 on: May 19, 2020, 06:10:14 pm »
'weh' is very Marseillaise.....

The highest form of French has an almost aspirated feel to it - 'hwhee' - almost like a whistle - or a hwhistle, you might say :P

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15086 on: May 19, 2020, 06:11:53 pm »
The Bretons too have more in common they tell me with someone from Cornwall then someone from Paris for example.
Unsurprising, as the local languages derive from the same root - the family members are Breton, Celt (Irish & Scots Gaelic), Cornish, Welsh, Manx (not Mancs).....

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15087 on: May 19, 2020, 06:18:28 pm »
Thats Switzerland though   ;D

Aye they have some weird different words...

They say septante, huitante and nonante, for seventy, eighty and ninety, instead of soixante-dix, quatre-vingts, and quatre-vingts dix.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15088 on: May 19, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »
Aye they have some weird different words...

They say septante, huitante and nonante, for seventy, eighty and ninety, instead of soixante-dix, quatre-vingts, and quatre-vingts dix.

My French friends found it funny that I was 39 for years. My response was ' I can't say 40 , 41 , 42 etc.  The French have a boss sense of humour too. I will always say this . When you have the froendship or have won the heart of a French person they will do anything for you.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15089 on: May 19, 2020, 06:28:29 pm »
If you visit the forum, people who finish the entire program don't think they're fully fluent. They suggest supplementing Duolingo with another program.

I'm not naive. I don't have anyone to speak French to regularly, so I won't ever be fully fluent. You need to use it. I plan to visit Quebec 2-3 times per year, maybe a French island or France someday, so as long as I can order food, check in at a hotel, and ask basic questions on the street I'll be happy. I'd love to watch French movies or TV shows without subtitles, but right now I'm lost trying that.

Good luck! :)
I agree you need to use it regularly to fully get to grips with it. 

I've not been on the forums on there as we have plenty of French speakers on here as I've found out. 

Maybe I should start a language thread so those of us needing some conversational help, can do.

They work in Paris and I have a cat will only get me so far!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15090 on: May 19, 2020, 08:41:48 pm »
'weh' is very Marseillaise.....

The highest form of French has an almost aspirated feel to it - 'hwhee' - almost like a whistle - or a hwhistle, you might say :P

As is "bonk" for "bon..."

Had a teacher at university who had a south France accent, and was good about pointing it out and sorting the different accents/dialects out...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15091 on: May 19, 2020, 10:12:25 pm »
Unsurprising, as the local languages derive from the same root - the family members are Breton, Celt (Irish & Scots Gaelic), Cornish, Welsh, Manx (not Mancs).....

Weh .

I've been lucky enough to play music with a few Bretons and little fezzies and it's all very much the same said apart the language.  I will try to be brave enough to post a song here for you but things like putting a youtube song on here is a tad difficult for me . I will try though as it sings of the very same tribes that you've just mentioned.

One sec ... or maybe a bit longer... as here I go .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15092 on: May 19, 2020, 10:21:17 pm »
Kin ell that was a head fuck bit by jollie I've done it.

https://youtu.be/ylxTvLUnSWk

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15093 on: May 19, 2020, 10:29:23 pm »
Going from the top of my head .

Languedoc I think means the Language of the Oc ( Occitane ) and Oc means Yes and the Northen tribes used the word Oil which is were Oui comes from .  Not sure of the history of it all being honest apart from Paris ( Ille de France ) went out and knocked fuck out of everyone at some point.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15094 on: May 19, 2020, 10:54:38 pm »
Kin ell that was a head fuck bit by jollie I've done it.

https://youtu.be/ylxTvLUnSWk
Then there's a nice bit of coding we can do to make this happen........

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ylxTvLUnSWk&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ylxTvLUnSWk&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15095 on: May 20, 2020, 12:54:20 am »
Then there's a nice bit of coding we can do to make this happen........

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ylxTvLUnSWk&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ylxTvLUnSWk&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

What is that then ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15096 on: May 20, 2020, 07:45:31 am »
Here's another one

Tu voyages avec ton père? or

Voyagez-vous avec votre père?

Top one is how duolingo say it should be but my instinct was the bottom one from school.

Are they both right and if so does it matter?

I've always understood it as - 'tu' is generally spoken directly to one person or a person you know. 'Vous' is the more formal or for groups of people.

Oh I see, duo, I'm on day 290 of my streak today, you need to use something else as well. Memrise is good, and you can choose your level.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:47:43 am by Claire. »

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15097 on: May 20, 2020, 07:48:33 am »
Here's another one

Tu voyages avec ton père? or

Voyagez-vous avec votre père?

Top one is how duolingo say it should be but my instinct was the bottom one from school.

Are they both right and if so does it matter?

Tu voyages...? Voyages-tu...? Is informal (i.e talking to a friend, family, someone you know fairly well)
Vous voyagez...? Voyagez-vous...? Is formal (i.e used if you are talking to someone you don't know, showing respect to someone older, talking to a group)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15098 on: May 20, 2020, 08:06:09 am »
What is that then ?
Glad you asked - you're in the right thread.

Here we go.

Start with an opening flash tag.

[ flash=400,300 ] (minus the spaces, which I've put in to kill the effect, just so you can see what to type)

Copy and paste your YouTube url after it, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylxTvLUnSWk&

Then replace the '=' with '/' and also delete the 'watch?', i.e. https://www.youtube.com/v/ylxTvLUnSWk&

Then add the closing flash tag [ /flash ] (again, with spaces - delete these before posting)

What you end up with is the following (again, delete the spaces!)

[ flash=400,300 ]https://www.youtube.com/v/ylxTvLUnSWk&[ /flash ]

"Eh, voi...laaaaaaa!" (seewhatididthere?)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:10:16 am by 24∗7 »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #15099 on: May 20, 2020, 08:45:15 am »

What I do is quote a youtube video someone has posted, replace the lettery bit with my own and then delete the quote bits  :D

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15100 on: May 20, 2020, 09:12:41 am »
What I do is quote a youtube video someone has posted, replace the lettery bit with my own and then delete the quote bits  :D

Same.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15101 on: May 20, 2020, 10:07:41 am »
I've always understood it as - 'tu' is generally spoken directly to one person or a person you know. 'Vous' is the more formal or for groups of people.

Oh I see, duo, I'm on day 290 of my streak today, you need to use something else as well. Memrise is good, and you can choose your level.
Thanks for that Claire I've been wondering if trying another app might help I'll give it a go.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15102 on: May 20, 2020, 10:38:03 am »
Thanks for that Claire I've been wondering if trying another app might help I'll give it a go.

The thing that’s really improved in the duo app is the tips pages, and recently they updated and added past/future tense lessons and the format was different. Less phrases, concentrated on conjugation which made learning it much quicker.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:40:02 am by Claire. »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15103 on: May 20, 2020, 03:16:39 pm »

Here we go.

[ flash=400,300 ] (minus the spaces, which I've put in to kill the effect, just so you can see what to type)

Copy and paste your YouTube url after it, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylxTvLUnSWk&

Then replace the '=' with '/' and also delete the 'watch?', i.e. https://www.youtube.com/v/ylxTvLUnSWk&

Then add the closing flash tag [ /flash ] (again, with spaces - delete these before posting)

You can also use the nobbc tags to make it not interpret something as code :)

[img]image url[/img]

:wave
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15104 on: May 20, 2020, 03:27:49 pm »

Here we go.

Great instructions. :) The only thing I'd add to that is you can choose the dimensions of the box. 400,300 is shown above. I usually use 480,320 but you can choose whatever you think looks best.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #15105 on: May 20, 2020, 05:26:59 pm »

Here we go.

I think I just somehow copied the url from youtube and pasted it here.  Thanks for the new info though mate.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15106 on: May 22, 2020, 05:46:33 pm »
I’m trying to do some research on sold property prices and It’s easy enough to get the date of sale and sale price, but I need to split them by number of bedrooms (1, 2 or 3). Is there any easy way to get this info? I can get it for some via the sold adverts on Rightmove but only a few of them still have live adverts.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15107 on: May 22, 2020, 06:00:01 pm »
I’m trying to do some research on sold property prices and It’s easy enough to get the date of sale and sale price, but I need to split them by number of bedrooms (1, 2 or 3). Is there any easy way to get this info? I can get it for some via the sold adverts on Rightmove but only a few of them still have live adverts.
Don't zoopla have something Craig?  Failing that the land registry possibly has that info but I think you pay for it from them.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15108 on: May 22, 2020, 06:10:55 pm »
Don't zoopla have something Craig?  Failing that the land registry possibly has that info but I think you pay for it from them.

Zoopla just shows similar info to Rightmove.

I think land registry just shows the outline and not the internal structures but may give it a go on one or two and check.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #15109 on: May 22, 2020, 07:05:38 pm »
Haven't looked at it properly myself, but would this be of any use?

www.ons.gov.uk
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15110 on: May 22, 2020, 07:12:35 pm »
Haven't looked at it properly myself, but would this be of any use?

www.ons.gov.uk

Thanks for that, I need it more specific though (that just gives areas like North West).

Basically been offered a couple of properties at, apparently, quite a bit below market value and could really do with getting the sale prices in the area for properties with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms but finding it hard to separate out which have X amount of bedrooms. I only want one of the bloody things so will sell the others off but the guy will only sell them together  :no

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15111 on: May 27, 2020, 10:50:49 am »
Looking for a new telly, around 300 quid if possible, large and smart and good picture quality. Any recommendations?

Have a look on AO.com - we got a Panasonic from them for around £300 if I remember right. Bear in mind you need a soundbar these days though as the tellys are so narrow the speakers are crap

£299 for a 43 inch LG Smart TV https://ao.com/l/tvs-43_inches_to_55_inches/1-91/107-108/?sort=aol_saleincvat
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:54:05 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15112 on: May 27, 2020, 12:08:21 pm »
Has anyone had any experience of carpet moths? I have had them for many, many years and have lost quite a lot of carpet as a result. Either they lie dormant and some years just spew forth or they are like salmon and come back to shag. Vacuuming does lift them up along with sucking up the eaten carpet but they must lie deeper before becoming bigger as they always come back. Ive become quite adept with an electrocuting tennis racket but need to find some sort of spray. I saw some on amazon but just wondered if anyone had any magic ideas.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15113 on: May 27, 2020, 12:37:23 pm »
Looking for a new telly, around 300 quid if possible, large and smart and good picture quality. Any recommendations?

Currys have got a sale on at the moment, this 50 inch Samsung TV is £349 - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue50tu7000kxxu-50-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10206274-pdt.html

The 43 inch is £299.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15114 on: May 29, 2020, 10:16:49 am »
Looking for a quiche/savoury tart recipe without cream if anyone has one please.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #15115 on: May 29, 2020, 02:10:31 pm »
Why don't football pundits sit behind desks any more?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15116 on: May 29, 2020, 02:10:55 pm »
Why don't football pundits sit behind desks any more?

Why did they in the first place?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15117 on: May 29, 2020, 03:06:56 pm »
Why did they in the first place?

Allows backs of hands to breathe...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #15118 on: May 30, 2020, 06:38:40 pm »
My neighbours..despicable horrible c*nts and that was before their 2 breaches of lockdown..one last weekend & same again this weekend.
Dunno if they are family or friends but overnight stays from what looks like Man,Wife & 2 kids visiting.
What would you have done?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15119 on: May 30, 2020, 11:00:59 pm »
My neighbours..despicable horrible c*nts and that was before their 2 breaches of lockdown..one last weekend & same again this weekend.
Dunno if they are family or friends but overnight stays from what looks like Man,Wife & 2 kids visiting.
What would you have done?

Unless they are making lots of noise, nothing. Other people not giving a fuck whether they live or die is not your responsibility.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT