Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1062687 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #14920 on: April 7, 2020, 09:40:54 pm »
I need advice -- a coworker's father died. He leads a group of us on certain projects. The company, in this weird virus-affected time, is sending him a card and a charitable donation certificate as there is no funeral to send flowers to, and they don't want to force his family to open a package dropped on his doorstep.

I emailed everyone on his team and suggested that the 8 of us do something separately. So we are giving a donation in his father's name to a COVID-19 related charity in his area. 5 of us donated. A 6th told me he will. The 7th and 8th people never replied to any of the 8 emails that everyone was cc'd on. I am 99% sure they saw the emails, as they replied to other group emails from the same timeframe.

So -- I'm placing the donation tomorrow. Do I tell my coworker it was "from the group" or should I specifically name the 6 people who contributed?   

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14921 on: April 7, 2020, 10:03:31 pm »

I need advice -- a coworker's father died. He leads a group of us on certain projects. The company, in this weird virus-affected time, is sending him a card and a charitable donation certificate as there is no funeral to send flowers to, and they don't want to force his family to open a package dropped on his doorstep.

I emailed everyone on his team and suggested that the 8 of us do something separately. So we are giving a donation in his father's name to a COVID-19 related charity in his area. 5 of us donated. A 6th told me he will. The 7th and 8th people never replied to any of the 8 emails that everyone was cc'd on. I am 99% sure they saw the emails, as they replied to other group emails from the same timeframe.

So -- I'm placing the donation tomorrow. Do I tell my coworker it was "from the group" or should I specifically name the 6 people who contributed?

From the group mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14922 on: April 7, 2020, 10:15:00 pm »

From the group mate.

That's what I'm leaning toward, thanks.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #14923 on: April 8, 2020, 11:16:56 am »
Checked the mail for the first time in a week or two yesterday... I have been called up for jury service at the end of May!

Is this likely to go ahead? I can't see if the court is still open (Snaresbrook Crown Court).

If it does, hopefully it's only really serious cases like a murder or abduction or something! And not some c*nt who was just caught outside twice in the one day or something.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14924 on: April 8, 2020, 11:24:15 am »
Checked the mail for the first time in a week or two yesterday... I have been called up for jury service at the end of May!

Is this likely to go ahead? I can't see if the court is still open (Snaresbrook Crown Court).

If it does, hopefully it's only really serious cases like a murder or abduction or something! And not some c*nt who was just caught outside twice in the one day or something.
Doubt it will go ahead, even if in operation by then they will have a backlog to deal with

also, because you're called up doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be on jury, you go into a pool of people and then randomly get selected from that pool, some of you will not be needed

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14925 on: April 10, 2020, 10:13:54 pm »
My energy supplier has sent me an email asking if I want a smart meter.

Good idea?

What's the advantage/disadvantage to me?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #14926 on: April 12, 2020, 03:48:08 pm »

Good idea?

We had them fitted a month or so back.

They give you a little display that shows what your usage is daily/weekly/monthly.

It's supposed to send the readings to them automatically. However our gas one doesn't appear to have worked so they estimated it. Massively overestimated.

They've fixed the bill after I supplied them with a correct reading and said they'll get someone out to look at it once this virus is over with.

I wouldn't have thought they'd be in a position to fit one for your currently.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14927 on: April 12, 2020, 11:14:33 pm »

Good idea?

My supplier contacts me by email and letter every few weeks about this.

As red_mark says they're supposed to do away with the need for meter readers (leading to job losses) because the Smart meter sends its readings wirelessly and without you having to do anything. That could be useful as you supposedly never have to worry about meter reading again. But in practice I've heard enough reports that they don't always work and you get ridiculous bills or other problems. Also sometimes if you change supplier the meter won't work with the new supplier - or at least that used to be the case.

For those who worry about such things, they can also send realtime information, which can be a privacy concern, and supposedly be very informative about what you are doing in your house at any given moment. So you wake up and switch the kettle on and someone somewhere will know because there'll be a characteristic change in your usage that says 'kettle switched on'. Or if you're out of the house, someone could theoretically know the place is unoccupied because the power-usage profile will be consistent with an empty house. Or if you're binge-watching Netflix when you've told your boss you can't do that work at home as you have to go out to a family function. And so on.

In reality I'm not sure whether these privacy concerns amount to much or not. But in total I think there are enough questions still with the technology for me to have stayed away from it thus far (mostly because I can't be bothered with the hassle of them mucking up bills and having to call the to fix it etc).

I think they are developing a new type of smart meter that is supposed to be fully reliable, and I imagine at some point they may become compulsory.

Like all Smart meter tech it's also supposed to be able to give you realtime information on how much you are using, the amount of the bill so far, how much you are using at that given moment etc. But you can get gadgets that do that which don't risk mucking up your bill etc.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14928 on: April 13, 2020, 09:53:06 am »
We had them fitted a month or so back.

They give you a little display that shows what your usage is daily/weekly/monthly.

It's supposed to send the readings to them automatically. However our gas one doesn't appear to have worked so they estimated it. Massively overestimated.

They've fixed the bill after I supplied them with a correct reading and said they'll get someone out to look at it once this virus is over with.

I wouldn't have thought they'd be in a position to fit one for your currently.
My supplier contacts me by email and letter every few weeks about this.

As red_mark says they're supposed to do away with the need for meter readers (leading to job losses) because the Smart meter sends its readings wirelessly and without you having to do anything. That could be useful as you supposedly never have to worry about meter reading again. But in practice I've heard enough reports that they don't always work and you get ridiculous bills or other problems. Also sometimes if you change supplier the meter won't work with the new supplier - or at least that used to be the case.

For those who worry about such things, they can also send realtime information, which can be a privacy concern, and supposedly be very informative about what you are doing in your house at any given moment. So you wake up and switch the kettle on and someone somewhere will know because there'll be a characteristic change in your usage that says 'kettle switched on'. Or if you're out of the house, someone could theoretically know the place is unoccupied because the power-usage profile will be consistent with an empty house. Or if you're binge-watching Netflix when you've told your boss you can't do that work at home as you have to go out to a family function. And so on.

In reality I'm not sure whether these privacy concerns amount to much or not. But in total I think there are enough questions still with the technology for me to have stayed away from it thus far (mostly because I can't be bothered with the hassle of them mucking up bills and having to call the to fix it etc).

I think they are developing a new type of smart meter that is supposed to be fully reliable, and I imagine at some point they may become compulsory.

Like all Smart meter tech it's also supposed to be able to give you realtime information on how much you are using, the amount of the bill so far, how much you are using at that given moment etc. But you can get gadgets that do that which don't risk mucking up your bill etc.

Thank you, both of you for taking time to reply.

I don't think a smart meter will be of any use to me at this time.

Both electric and gas is supplied to me by OCTOPUS Energy and once a month they send an email asking me to read the meters then log on and enter the readings and it is a piece of cake, takes no longer than 5 minutes to do.

I have decided to ignore their email asking if I would like a smart meter fitted.

Cheers my darlings, Happy Easter   :)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14929 on: April 13, 2020, 12:04:46 pm »
I'm with Octopus as well Paul and I've contacted them about getting a smart meter fitted. The only gas we have is the heating and I'd like to be able to see what uses the most power electricity wise and make changes to lower our bills.
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14930 on: April 13, 2020, 12:31:53 pm »
I'm with Octopus as well Paul and I've contacted them about getting a smart meter fitted. The only gas we have is the heating and I'd like to be able to see what uses the most power electricity wise and make changes to lower our bills.
I love being with Octopus Rob and last time I looked my account was just over £300 in credit.

It's quite unbelievable how cheap they are compared to N Power who I was with for 12 years.

Here's a question for you, have you ever won on the wheel spin thingy you get when you enter your gas / electric readings?  I haven't, it's on "0" every time   :(

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14931 on: April 13, 2020, 01:52:08 pm »
Never won on that bloody wheel ;D
It's a fucking fix I swear.   ;D

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #14932 on: April 13, 2020, 02:23:45 pm »

Good idea?

I've had half a dozen of those emails and I've resisted every time. I can't see it leading to anything other than being charged a premium for using gas & leccy during the day. It may be selfish but they can piss off.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14933 on: April 13, 2020, 02:33:33 pm »
I've had half a dozen of those emails and I've resisted every time. I can't see it leading to anything other than being charged a premium for using gas & leccy during the day. It may be selfish but they can piss off.
I read your post then looked at the Jimmy Corkhill picture you use for your avatar and then laughed    ;D

Yeah they can piss off, I will be ignoring this and all future emails inviting me to have one installed.     :)

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14934 on: April 13, 2020, 02:53:36 pm »
Ha ha yes, I was going to say this but erred on the side of not looking too conspiracyish. But yes, you're right. Today it's being sold as whizz bang hi tech wireless magic and on the back of convenience, but tomorrow this tech could easily lead to realtime variable pricing: maybe higher charges during the day, but also, maybe, higher charges at certain times, at the company's whim...''we reserve the right to raise tarriffs during high demand periods without notice'' such as when there's a Liverpool CL match on...or in the middle of winter when you have to have heating on and so are a captive market.

Reckon they'll make these compulsory soon, anyway
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14935 on: April 13, 2020, 03:02:07 pm »
Nope, never won on the wheel either
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14936 on: April 15, 2020, 10:15:33 pm »
Bit of a random question but somebody posted somewhere recently about learning to play the guitar and now I can't find the post, or  know who it was or even which thread they posted in.

Anyway if anyone remembers seeing it could you pass this link onto them or let me know who they are so I can.

Ta rawkites [emoji106]

https://www.theflorrie.org/2020/04/15/timos-guitar-book/

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14937 on: April 16, 2020, 02:49:44 am »
Bit of a random question but somebody posted somewhere recently about learning to play the guitar and now I can't find the post, or  know who it was or even which thread they posted in.

Anyway if anyone remembers seeing it could you pass this link onto them or let me know who they are so I can.

Ta rawkites [emoji106]

https://www.theflorrie.org/2020/04/15/timos-guitar-book/

It was Floydy

Here's the post:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345130.msg17130801#msg17130801

Thought you might want to contact him and do the honours :)

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14938 on: April 16, 2020, 07:10:11 am »
It was Floydy

Here's the post:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345130.msg17130801#msg17130801

Thought you might want to contact him and do the honours :)
Cheers bud [emoji106]

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14939 on: April 16, 2020, 09:15:58 pm »
Aldi white bread bloomers - they've shrunk haven't they?

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14940 on: April 16, 2020, 09:51:32 pm »
Aldi white bread bloomers - they've shrunk haven't they?
So what you're telling us is that yer bloomers have shrunk?  ;)

I think most food items have, in this age of shrinkflation

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14941 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:44 pm »
Vacuumed last night, now the baby is throwing the grated cheese he's eating over the side of his high chair.  Sound to just keep lobbing it back on, isn't it?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #14942 on: April 17, 2020, 02:29:57 pm »
So what you're telling us is that yer bloomers have shrunk?  ;)

I think most food items have, in this age of shrinkflation

Wagon Wheels for sure.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14943 on: April 17, 2020, 03:27:33 pm »
Vacuumed last night, now the baby is throwing the grated cheese he's eating over the side of his high chair.  Sound to just keep lobbing it back on, isn't it?

Always done that with my kids, didn't do them any harm.
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14944 on: April 18, 2020, 11:28:49 am »
How's the hair, are you starting to look like a Hippy yet?     ;)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14945 on: April 20, 2020, 02:35:49 pm »
Where do you buy good quality bedroom furniture and how do you know it's good quality if buying online?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14946 on: April 20, 2020, 02:47:16 pm »
Where do you buy good quality bedroom furniture and how do you know it's good quality if buying online?

Boring answer but IKEA. Had wardrobes and chests of drawers from there for our room and they were good quality, bloody heavy though, struggled to get it up the stairs - also put some in the kids room, lasted years. Other than that, its either recommendations or hope the reviews are honest.

The current bedroom furniture was built by a local company we were recommended by my sister in laws fella and fitted by a proper joiner.
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14947 on: April 20, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »
Yeah IKEA is as good as anywhere though they still do have cheap tat that would blow over in a slight breeze.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14948 on: April 20, 2020, 02:50:20 pm »

Give the usual suspects a go.

IKEA are taking online orders (although some stuff they won't deliver)
Next are open every morning to take a limited amount of online orders
Argos, Dunelm and The Range are taking orders as usual

Be very wary of anything on Amazon/eBay, if that's what you're looking at right now.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #14949 on: April 20, 2020, 02:51:51 pm »
Yeah IKEA is as good as anywhere though they still do have cheap tat that would blow over in a slight breeze.
General rule of thumb re IKEA. The more expensive it is, the more 'real wood' there is, the heavier it is. Cheap lines are the chipboard or super lightweight woods that yeah fall over in a breeze.....I've had plenty of stuff from there in the past - beds, wardrobes, dining tables - I always went for the higher priced stuff, for quality and durability.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14950 on: April 20, 2020, 02:54:03 pm »
General rule of thumb re IKEA. The more expensive it is, the more 'real wood' there is, the heavier it is. Cheap lines are the chipboard or super lightweight woods that yeah fall over in a breeze.....I've had plenty of stuff from there in the past - beds, wardrobes, dining tables - I always went for the higher priced stuff, for quality and durability.

Totally agree. Last lot I had I unpacked downstairs and carried bit by bit and that was only one wardrobe
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14951 on: April 20, 2020, 02:57:54 pm »
Thanks, guys!

We were going to go out furniture shopping just before this COVD crisis hit but I don't think I would buy until it feels more safe to do so, as it isn't really essential gear. We bought paint and accessories to decorate our bedroom which we might just do anyway, but the existing furniture will look crap. Having a look online for ideas and see some nice bits but just not sure on what the quality would be like - places like Dunelm, Wayfair, Oak Furnitureland etc... I know places like Next and Habitat etc... would be fine. Just not sure on some of them!

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14952 on: April 20, 2020, 02:59:52 pm »
Got my daughter a lovely dressing table from Debenhams not cheap but top quality.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14953 on: April 20, 2020, 03:03:49 pm »

Made.com is very good but not the cheapest. I’ve had a few things from there and been very impressed.

Then again I’ve had plenty from IKEA too, and its survived 3 moves so far and still going strong.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14954 on: April 20, 2020, 06:48:11 pm »
Made.com is very good but not the cheapest. I’ve had a few things from there and been very impressed.

Then again I’ve had plenty from IKEA too, and its survived 3 moves so far and still going strong.

I'll second this - I bought a sofa bed from them on Craigs recommendation and really like it. It's not had much use mind, especially with the lockdown, so can't comment on the durability.

Forgot to say cheers for that Craig :wave

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14955 on: April 20, 2020, 06:52:33 pm »
Forgot to say cheers for that Craig :wave

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14956 on: April 21, 2020, 10:08:37 pm »
Anyone applied for Universal Credit since this virus began? Applied for my wife who lost her job. Just been on the payments page, says we should be getting £594.04 but they're deducting £819 based on my wage which leaves us with zero payments. Surely that can't be right?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14957 on: April 21, 2020, 10:15:23 pm »
Anyone applied for Universal Credit since this virus began? Applied for my wife who lost her job. Just been on the payments page, says we should be getting £594.04 but they're deducting £819 based on my wage which leaves us with zero payments. Surely that can't be right?

There's a thread on UC here which Zeb is usually responsive in and as knowledgeable as ever.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341379.120

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14958 on: April 21, 2020, 10:18:56 pm »
There's a thread on UC here which Zeb is usually responsive in and as knowledgeable as ever.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341379.120
Thanks, put my post in there

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14959 on: April 21, 2020, 11:51:47 pm »
You can turn sounds off for windows events in control panel->sounds then look through events for device connect/disconnect - or something like that, not sure if this is exactly right and if its different for different versions.