Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1062742 times)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15120 on: May 31, 2020, 07:19:07 am »
Unless they are making lots of noise, nothing. Other people not giving a fuck whether they live or die is not your responsibility.

But if one has Corona, then all of them might, therefore increasing the risk of passing it on to a lot more people, and as neighbours a chance it might be someone in you know.

Some people using that twat Cummings as an excuse for not social distancing is pathetic, if he jumped off a cliff, would you etc, etc?  Anyway, wrong thread for this.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15121 on: May 31, 2020, 08:38:42 am »
But if one has Corona, then all of them might, therefore increasing the risk of passing it on to a lot more people, and as neighbours a chance it might be someone in you know.

Some people using that twat Cummings as an excuse for not social distancing is pathetic, if he jumped off a cliff, would you etc, etc?  Anyway, wrong thread for this.

Was he at Durdle Door by any chance?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #15122 on: May 31, 2020, 10:00:30 am »
The relationship with my neighbours is beyond repair, it was long ago..some of the shit we've had to put up with would cause most to crack.
We live in a terraced house..most families were enjoying their day in their backs & every single one of them knew what my neighbours were..a long continued outburst and afterwards I done something I've never done before & reported the c*nts to the Police, felt really bad later on cause that's just not me at all & I can't stand the thought of someone else changing who I am. Today..I'm reasonably comfortable with how I went about it but I have to tame me temper somehow..that hot headed lad that I was rears it's ugly head sometimes.  :(
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15123 on: May 31, 2020, 10:03:14 am »
Wouldn’t say that was hot headed to be honest. Marching round and having a go at them or giving one of them a kicking would be hot headed.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #15124 on: May 31, 2020, 10:43:00 am »
If you visit the forum, people who finish the entire program don't think they're fully fluent. They suggest supplementing Duolingo with another program.

I'm not naive. I don't have anyone to speak French to regularly, so I won't ever be fully fluent. You need to use it. I plan to visit Quebec 2-3 times per year, maybe a French island or France someday, so as long as I can order food, check in at a hotel, and ask basic questions on the street I'll be happy. I'd love to watch French movies or TV shows without subtitles, but right now I'm lost trying that.

Good luck! :)
My twopenneth as a non speaker but fairly fluent in merd-du-vache is to visit francophone countries... so much easier when the other person is also having to translate a little.

Have you watched Eddie Izzards show in French? How did you get on?

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15125 on: May 31, 2020, 10:57:05 am »
Wouldn’t say that was hot headed to be honest. Marching round and having a go at them or giving one of them a kicking would be hot headed.

Agreed, you've taken a pretty rational course of action, rather than going round theirs and causing a scene.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15126 on: May 31, 2020, 11:08:50 am »
The relationship with my neighbours is beyond repair, it was long ago..some of the shit we've had to put up with would cause most to crack.
We live in a terraced house..most families were enjoying their day in their backs & every single one of them knew what my neighbours were..a long continued outburst and afterwards I done something I've never done before & reported the c*nts to the Police, felt really bad later on cause that's just not me at all & I can't stand the thought of someone else changing who I am. Today..I'm reasonably comfortable with how I went about it but I have to tame me temper somehow..that hot headed lad that I was rears it's ugly head sometimes.  :(
I feel for you mate, it's an absolute nightmare having shitty neighbours as I know from experience.

What you've done however is the correct thing to do.  Let the law deal with it rather than suffer in silence, as believe me it effects your health and wellbeing.

You've not said whether the police actually attended the property but if they did then it's now on record and will help if things escalate down the line.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #15127 on: May 31, 2020, 11:48:40 am »
I feel for you mate, it's an absolute nightmare having shitty neighbours as I know from experience.

What you've done however is the correct thing to do.  Let the law deal with it rather than suffer in silence, as believe me it effects your health and wellbeing.

You've not said whether the police actually attended the property but if they did then it's now on record and will help if things escalate down the line.

I've lived where I am now for nearly 30 years & have stayed here because of the people & community we have in our street,everyone knows each other & we all get on..then a few years ago my boss neighbours sold up & these fuckers moved in.
There were problems from day 1 with the noise & smell..I could write a book.
I approached them amicably, a few more times amicably and was then shunned..frustrated one day, to cut a long story short I half dragged him out of his car & lost all that composure I'd built up over the years,both barrels & he would have felt threatened..the younger me wouldn't have refrained from an assault, I do fear that dark side of me returning..married life has had such a positive impact on quelling that side of me.
There was another occasion about a year after where we traded in a heated argument at the back..fuckoff..you fuck off back etc..Police turned up at our door & they hit me with some harassment warning..
As I write this all I hear is a constant dull bang/thud from their front room..wooden sprung floor being used like a trampoline,can last ages too sometimes..a daily treasure that one.
Galls me the thought of moving to get away from it..I don't think that day is too far away.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #15128 on: June 2, 2020, 02:26:14 pm »
So here's an update regarding my neighbours and what's happened since..
My neighbours are consistently flaunting lockdown rules & after another call to the Police it seems it's quite ok to visit another person's home whenever you want to..perfectly ok because the Police can do nothing about it as it's on or in a private property.
Sound.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15129 on: June 2, 2020, 02:34:17 pm »
My neighbours are consistently flaunting lockdown rules & after another call to the Police it seems it's quite ok to visit another person's home whenever you want to..perfectly ok because the Police can do nothing about it as it's on or in a private property.
Sound.

AKA The Cummings Rule
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15130 on: June 2, 2020, 02:45:49 pm »
Sound.
Aye it's shit mate as Rob says there's not much they can do since the Cummings fiasco.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15131 on: June 5, 2020, 10:48:05 pm »
Have a credit card that I havent used in over a year, finally paid it off. Don’t need it or intend on using it again. I want to close it but will it affect my credit rating at all or can I just close it without worrying?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15132 on: June 5, 2020, 10:52:01 pm »
Have a credit card that I havent used in over a year, finally paid it off. Don’t need it or intend on using it again. I want to close it but will it affect my credit rating at all or can I just close it without worrying?

Depends really what your credit rating is and if you have other credit facilities. If it's bad and you want to improve your score, and have no other credit, you're best using it and keeping it open. If it's good and you have other facilities, closing it won't do any harm.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15133 on: June 6, 2020, 11:48:55 am »
Depends really what your credit rating is and if you have other credit facilities. If it's bad and you want to improve your score, and have no other credit, you're best using it and keeping it open. If it's good and you have other facilities, closing it won't do any harm.
It’s good and I don’t have any other credit card. Only took the card out to help with purchases for the house so really don’t need it now.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15134 on: June 6, 2020, 11:52:38 am »
It’s good and I don’t have any other credit card. Only took the card out to help with purchases for the house so really don’t need it now.

If you are thinking of getting a mortgage or other credit in near to medium future, it is probably a good idea to keep the card and spend on it a bit, as long as you pay it off in full each month.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15135 on: June 6, 2020, 12:06:59 pm »

Not necessarily another card, but anything. A TV you're paying off, car, phone contract, mortgage etc. Any sort of credit. If you do, and you're score is in the highest bracket, there's no need to keep it open.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15136 on: June 8, 2020, 02:19:12 pm »
How the fuck do you calm yourselves down just before an important phone call?

Some people on here would know I've been at a terrible job over the last year, working for a Trump-like boss who has no concept of professionalism or legality for that matter.

I have a phone interview in 45 minutes (!) for a job I've found on Indeed. I think it would be perfect for me and I've not had this much excitement over something for a while. There's been over 150 candidates in 2 days and I'm on the short list. I've prepared as much as I can but fuck me, the anxiety is probably worse than actually going in for a face-to-face meeting. I'm not a fan of phone calls at the best of times, let alone being interviewed over it. I've gone insane at my current job for a year, so I know how big a deal a new job would be to me.

I feel like I'm going to answer the phone and do a complete Mark Corrigan. Shitting bricks over here!
« Last Edit: June 8, 2020, 02:21:50 pm by El Denzel Pepito »

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #15137 on: June 8, 2020, 04:30:54 pm »

Some people on here would know I've been at a terrible job over the last year, working for a Trump-like boss who has no concept of professionalism or legality for that matter.

I have a phone interview in 45 minutes (!) for a job I've found on Indeed. I think it would be perfect for me and I've not had this much excitement over something for a while. There's been over 150 candidates in 2 days and I'm on the short list. I've prepared as much as I can but fuck me, the anxiety is probably worse than actually going in for a face-to-face meeting. I'm not a fan of phone calls at the best of times, let alone being interviewed over it. I've gone insane at my current job for a year, so I know how big a deal a new job would be to me.

I feel like I'm going to answer the phone and do a complete Mark Corrigan. Shitting bricks over here!

Just realised it would be too late.

Hope it went well mate

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15138 on: June 8, 2020, 04:37:51 pm »
I hate talking on the phone, no idea why as I’m perfectly fine speaking to strangers face to face and always fine once on the phone call itself.

I just count to 3 then do it. Don’t over think it and stress yourself out too much.

Hope it goes well. Seen the posts about your current boss and he sounds like a right c*nt so hopefully you get this.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #15139 on: June 8, 2020, 04:50:35 pm »

Have a wank. You're welcome.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #15140 on: June 8, 2020, 04:52:46 pm »

Important to do this prior to the call, not during.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15141 on: June 8, 2020, 05:49:55 pm »
Ages since I did one, but I usually get really nervous leading up to it but after a minute or two talking you forget about yout nerves. Much prefer a phone interview to one in person.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15142 on: June 8, 2020, 05:51:29 pm »

Ages since I did one, but I usually get really nervous leading up to it but after a minute or two talking you forget about yout nerves.

:o

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15143 on: June 8, 2020, 05:53:14 pm »
Well it went OK, the most annoying thing was probably the fact my current boss ringing me six times during the hour. For some reason, my phone kept dropping the current call and trying to ring him back, so we lost connection six times, just as I was in the flow of explaining my point.

I think I fluffed a couple of the questions and didn't really speak too much about the things I'd noted before. Had a few brain farts with words at times "One of my 'benefits'... instead of strengths". But on the whole, it was an OK discussion, if not for a little awkward at times.

He said I'd be a good fit for the role and my experience with certain software and general self-starter attitude is what has me standing out. He thought I had some good ideas and I'd work well in the team, so it all sounded positive. But at the same time, he told me he's been 'constantly interviewing' people for the last week and will do so for the rest of the week. It sounded like he's interviewing around 30 or more people which is a bit intense. I'd say there's a very good chance that there's someone who will interview better than me, so I'm hoping I stood out enough but really hard to tell at this point.

It wasn't my best interview, but I'd still be gutted if I didn't get it. He says he'll be back in touch by the end of the week so fingers crossed!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15144 on: June 8, 2020, 05:56:21 pm »
Never understand why companies interview that many people. Normally pretty easy to narrow them down from CVs/covering letters to a smaller core bunch and can always reassess if you interview those and none stand out.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15145 on: June 8, 2020, 06:12:38 pm »
Never understand why companies interview that many people. Normally pretty easy to narrow them down from CVs/covering letters to a smaller core bunch and can always reassess if you interview those and none stand out.
Maybe not sure exactly what they want from the candidate or even for the role.

Best of luck anyway mate, you need to get out of the place your in for sure.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15146 on: June 8, 2020, 07:09:01 pm »

If the company hires through an agency they might have to interview a certain number of people.

When I worked for a big bank, we had this and they sent some real wastes of time, they didn't want the job but had to be seen as trying.

If you're looking, good luck, mate.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15147 on: June 8, 2020, 07:31:50 pm »
It’s another small business so it was the owner who interviewed me. He came across well and he probably just wants to find the right candidate. It was a bit daunting hearing him speak about the amount of interviews he’s done. Even if I do land it, I think I’d be under a lot of pressure to perform from day one since it seems very competitive.

Thanks Debs, can’t wait to get out as soon as possible. Not the best time to be moving but I’d go insane if I spent any longer there.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15148 on: June 8, 2020, 07:32:17 pm »

Keep it and use it for things like the shopping and fuel and pay it off each month, you need to do this for your credit score. Ex of mine had a shit credit rating as she saved for everything and paid cash, like £6k for a car, so had no records. My wife was the same and I had to get her to get a couple of cards so we could improve her score. Mine is about as good as it goes on Experian and I've about 7 or 8 cards and a loan - I have no issues getting credit because of this.
Jurgen YNWA

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #15149 on: June 8, 2020, 07:38:11 pm »
Keep it and use it for things like the shopping and fuel and pay it off each month, you need to do this for your credit score. Ex of mine had a shit credit rating as she saved for everything and paid cash, like £6k for a car, so had no records. My wife was the same and I had to get her to get a couple of cards so we could improve her score. Mine is about as good as it goes on Experian and I've about 7 or 8 cards and a loan - I have no issues getting credit because of this.

Another vote for this. Continue with that behaviour, set up a full DD and just use it for around £100 a month. They'll push your limit up and the higher the limit and the longer you have the card the better.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15150 on: June 8, 2020, 07:50:20 pm »
Another vote for this. Continue with that behaviour, set up a full DD and just use it for around £100 a month. They'll push your limit up and the higher the limit and the longer you have the card the better.

Not always great to have a big limit and multiple cards, as companies will use the amount you’re able to borrow (so all cards added up, etc) as part of their decision making.

One card with a semi decent limit and using it regularly (paying off in full) will often work best.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15151 on: June 8, 2020, 08:00:31 pm »

Yeah as Craig says you shouldn't necessarily take either a higher limit, or an extra card just because you are offered it.

Lenders will look suspiciously at people with huge credit limits, more so if split across multiple cards, even if the balance on them is low.

Its a good idea to have some form of credit, but limit it to the minimum if you are just using it to improve your credit rating.

Personally I do have 2 cards but that is because I oftern travel a lot for work so I have one which charges no fees for being used abroad, and another card which is on a 0% deal, which I rotate out when the deal ends. I also have always declined a credit limit increase whenever I have been offered it.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2020, 08:03:58 pm by Just Elmo? »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15152 on: June 8, 2020, 08:02:28 pm »
Given theres nothing wrong with his credit score, there isnt much benefit to him keeping the card open if he has other credit facilities like a mortgage, TV, phone contract etc.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15153 on: June 8, 2020, 09:43:42 pm »
Given theres nothing wrong with his credit score, there isnt much benefit to him keeping the card open if he has other credit facilities like a mortgage, TV, phone contract etc.
Yep, i have a mortgage and phone contract etc so should be alright. Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated  :wave

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15154 on: June 10, 2020, 10:16:23 pm »
I got refused credit by Currys for a 500 quid telly a few months ago, even though I've got a 999 score with Experia and I'm in the excellent category on Equifax. So I just got a 0% credit card instead with way longer to pay it off.

Credit is confusing.

It's all done with algorithms these days, and different firms have different target markets. Some are actively looking for people with crap credit scores, as that is what they specialise in (with worse terms on the credit).

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15155 on: June 10, 2020, 10:54:24 pm »
It's all done with algorithms these days, and different firms have different target markets. Some are actively looking for people with crap credit scores, as that is what they specialise in (with worse terms on the credit).
I used to work for an online car sales company and they made more money in commissions for giving credit than they did for the actual car.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15156 on: June 11, 2020, 12:13:14 pm »
I got refused credit by Currys for a 500 quid telly a few months ago, even though I've got a 999 score with Experia and I'm in the excellent category on Equifax. So I just got a 0% credit card instead with way longer to pay it off.

Credit is confusing.

It's mad as fuck. 8 years or something I've been trying to sort mine out. Got from the poor bracket up to good eventually, then a few months ago it went back down to fair even though I had no defaulted payments on anything, and hadn't bought anything extra on credit. I'm back to good now. I might get up to excellent by the time I'm dead.

Online Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15157 on: June 12, 2020, 10:47:49 am »
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about Capital Gains Tax?

I rent our my flat at the moment and have to do a self assessment tax return on that - but my landlord has just told me they want to sell the property I'm living in, which means I need to sell my flat to try and buy the house. When I eventually sell the flat, will I have to pay CGT on it? I understand if it was being rented out as part of a business, but it's a residential property that was easier to rent our than sell at the time. I'm panicking that I'm going to be hit with a massive tax bill.

If i were to move back into the flat before selling - how long do i need to be in there before selling?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15158 on: June 12, 2020, 11:48:23 am »
I believe you get relief for the period of time you lived there. So if you owned it for 10 years and lived there for 5 years you’d not pay CGT on 50% of any increase. You also don’t pay it for the last 9 months either I think so would be closer to 60%.

Online Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15159 on: June 12, 2020, 12:11:32 pm »
I believe you get relief for the period of time you lived there. So if you owned it for 10 years and lived there for 5 years you’d not pay CGT on 50% of any increase. You also don’t pay it for the last 9 months either I think so would be closer to 60%.

Ah thanks! I've spoken with the Money Advice Service and they've explained a lot in great detail. Certainly better than the governments own website.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid