Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1056448 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Imagine thinking Murphy's ever watched him play. The bloke is beyond clueless:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-must-reinvest-midfield-power-14129874

Not got Mascherano’s creativity. :D

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
I think there's a lot of value in having these ex-pros on, even if they mostly come across as useless. If they were used in a very narrowly defined punditry role - to talk about the playing side of the games - I think they're great. There's not many people out there I'd rather listen to talk about how a centre forward should have positioned himself, for example, than Alan Shearer.

The problem is that there's more to talk about when reflecting upon a game than just the playing aspect so they should get experts in those fields on the panel too.

Ideally there'd be a 3 man panel;

- a player to talk about playing stuff (positioning, what it's like in the build up to a game, how a player should have done X, Y or Z, etc);

- a ref to talk about the laws of the game (as interpretation of this does tend to be an issue in most games)

- a manager to talk about the overall approach each team has taken.

The way it tends to work is that most of the punditry slots are taken by ex players (with a few small exceptions with people like Souness who also managed). So we end up with people like Shearer being the guy who gets to spout off about something he's not an expert in (e.g. the laws of the game) so ends up being all over the place.

Not sure why more retired managers & refs don't take these roles. Maybe they're not offered (more demand by Joe Public to see someone familar like Jamie Redknapp or Henry rather than Houllier, etc).

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Imagine thinking Murphy's ever watched him play. The bloke is beyond clueless:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-must-reinvest-midfield-power-14129874

Jesus, that's almost unbelievable. Almost but then you realise its Murphy.
The bit about Can got me, which he ends with "whatever" as if to say I'm not interested in facts.
I try to stay away from TV and newspapers these days but these tossers are getting worse.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
@alanshearer
I am currently sitting with two @lfc fans who didn't think it was a pen. I played football at different levels for 30 years. You may disagree with my opinion but I am entitled to it. Just because you disagree doesn't make me a hypocrite. One was a pen, one wasn't. Get over it.

Murphy & Lawrenson, by any chance?

As has been said, they insisted the tiny nudge from Lovren into C-L (after C-L had cut across Lovren) was a pen... but now they absolutely definitely don't think the grab round the waist of Lallana was a pen?

Taken in isolation, the Lallana incident isn't IMHO a penalty (or, if it is, there should be half a dozen penalties a match) but coming so soon after C-L's penalty (which IMHO isn't a penalty either), at the very least a professional pundit needs to show some consistency.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
All good answers but my hatred for Jonathan Pearce is stronger than any passing fad.

I hear you! I am slightly scared by how much I fucking loathe that man, I must admit.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I hear you! I am slightly scared by how much I fucking loathe that man, I must admit.

I work with someone who went to school with him. :D

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
I work with someone who went to school with him. :D

Commentators like Pearce are a bit like Tory MPs. Just can't imagine that any of them were thought of as anything other than complete wankers when they were at school and probably had few friends ... if any at all?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
at the very least a professional pundit needs to show some consistency.

We can't even get referees to show consistency so why should the pundits bother?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
You only have to listen to that famous commentary of the goal in the World Cup (France v Honduras I think?) where it hit the post and then went in, so 2 goal line decisions were shown and he absolutely couldn't get his head around it, claiming goal line technology doesn't work blah blah blah.

The man's a fucking idiot.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
Alan Smith. And Carra...

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
ESPN have the worst set of pundits by a long shot. And sadly I have to include our very own Stevie Nicol in that. He's awful. The no-mark Mexican fella they have on is the worst of the bunch though. He really doesn't like us either. Never fails to stick the boot in while he can, the tit.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
Wasn't there an experiment years ago where you could just choose to watch the match without commentary? I'd happily pay extra just to have that thank you very much. Commentary and punditry went to pot when the likes of Barry Davies and Brian Moore retired. Hard pressed to choose between fucking Murphy or Chris Sutton. Having said that, I remember Archie McPherson back in the day - 'it's a dis-aster for Scot-laaaaand'. Fucking headache he used to give me.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
SKY had a no commentary option using the Red Button, SKY also had Fanzone which was hilarious at times.
#Sausages

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You only have to listen to that famous commentary of the goal in the World Cup (France v Honduras I think?) where it hit the post and then went in, so 2 goal line decisions were shown and he absolutely couldn't get his head around it, claiming goal line technology doesn't work blah blah blah.

The man's a fucking idiot.

When Martin Keown has figured something out before you have then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.  Keown realised what had happened after about 30 seconds, Pearce was still going on about it in the second half. 

A few minutes after that incident a shot went wide and rippled the side netting. "...and now they've not given that one. It's a shambles." He rambled incredulously.  Three replays later he finally conceded what was obvious to everyone else on first viewing, that it hadn't gone in, but he maintained his position that it was the technology that was shambolic rather than his commentary.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HjIj_GlvLD4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HjIj_GlvLD4</a>

Goal line technology - it's a shambles

Online iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
When Martin Keown has figured something out before you have then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.  Keown realised what had happened after about 30 seconds, Pearce was still going on about it in the second half. 

A few minutes after that incident a shot went wide and rippled the side netting. "...and now they've not given that one. It's a shambles." He rambled incredulously.  Three replays later he finally conceded what was obvious to everyone else on first viewing, that it hadn't gone in, but he maintained his position that it was the technology that was shambolic rather than his commentary.
It's incredulous that someone like that was allowed to carry on commentating on a sport which is obviously mystifying to him. I mean, I did laugh reading your message and remembering back to what a tit he was, but to not understand something so basic is absolutely mental.
Stan Laurel

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
used to love the footy commentaries on BBC Radio.....just a fella with a microphone telling you what was going on and describing the action....sadly they've succumbed to the bullshit conventional wisdom that to spice a game up you need a controversial, opinionated arsewipe co-commentator, a completely unnecessary irritant who's job it is to shit-stir and sensationalize .....tuned into the Chelsea v Leicester game and had to turn off after 10 mins because of the preposterously arrogant Danny Mills taking over the commentary with pure shit that was unrelated to the game in hand.....just turned the Bournemouth Arsenal game on and all i've heard for the last 5 mins is Steve Claridge doing exactly what Mills was doing yesterday but in a louder voice....fuckin detest modern media
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Goal line technology - it's a shambles

This will never stop being hilarious. What an absolute tit ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
used to love the footy commentaries on BBC Radio.....just a fella with a microphone telling you what was going on and describing the action....sadly they've succumbed to the bullshit conventional wisdom that to spice a game up you need a controversial, opinionated arsewipe co-commentator, a completely unnecessary irritant who's job it is to shit-stir and sensationalize .....tuned into the Chelsea v Leicester game and had to turn off after 10 mins because of the preposterously arrogant Danny Mills taking over the commentary with pure shit that was unrelated to the game in hand.....just turned the Bournemouth Arsenal game on and all i've heard for the last 5 mins is Steve Claridge doing exactly what Mills was doing yesterday but in a louder voice....fuckin detest modern media

Agree 100%. Same with radio phone ins - they only let on the nutters with the batshit views. Does my head in.
Stan Laurel

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Someone stole Danny Murphy and replaced him with this fella.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42684733
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
You can clearly tell Danny Murphy hasn't even watched a youtube highlights reel of any player outside the Premier League.

He's also thick as pig shit.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
I've been impressed by Gary Neville in the years since he's been on Sky but claiming Mane mishit the ball yesterday for his goal? Fuck me. I've never heard so much shit in my life.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
I've been impressed by Gary Neville in the years since he's been on Sky but claiming Mane mishit the ball yesterday for his goal? Fuck me. I've never heard so much shit in my life.
If you see the goal from behind the goal there's virtually no swerve on the ball, it was a clean strike, if he'd have sliced it then it would have went wide.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
I like Alan Green. I couldn't watch the game live yesterday but I thought he and Savage were pretty good on 5 Live.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal

Quite.  Man Yoo bile.

Carra got him back though by reminding everyone that Firmino's goal was like something Fowler did to Neville

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
I thought Tyler sounded slightly more animated yesterday, I even managed a grin when he came out the "Bobby Dazzler" shout!

That said, Jonathan Pearce is a helmet, utterly insufferable.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Some mod has locked the voting - I've asked them to open it - but no luck so far..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
Why would a mod bother locking it?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
I like Alan Green. I couldn't watch the game live yesterday but I thought he and Savage were pretty good on 5 Live.

Green is always value for money...easily my favourite BBC commentator ...still annoys me that he was dropped from the 606 show ..
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
I thought Tyler sounded slightly more animated yesterday, I even managed a grin when he came out the "Bobby Dazzler" shout!

Tyler always leave me feeling conflicted. I genuinely really like his voice, and if he provided this kind of enthusiasm every game, regardless of who's playing and who's winning, then I feel like people wouldn't care who he supported in his personal life. The Bobby Dazzler line was good, I'll give him that, even if you could tell he'd been brewing it in his head all day.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Surprised it wasn't Bobby Davro

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tyler obviously had in mind all the abuse and accusations about being a manc he'd had thrown at him on social media. That's why he sounded a bit more enthusiastic in our game.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
Tyler obviously had in mind all the abuse and accusations about being a manc he'd had thrown at him on social media. That's why he sounded a bit more enthusiastic in our game.
That might well be it. I remember when Lovren scored the opener away at Chelsea last season thinking that the linesman's flag had gone up or something, because Tyler barely reacted to the goal; it took me a few seconds to actually accept we were 1-0 up! ;D

Then on Sunday, he's going nuts when Mane scored, screaming "YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!!" in a way that sounded like genuine enthusiasm. He's a weird one... probably one of those United fans who just wanted City's unbeaten record to die. ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Merson's latest genius on the Sky website.

Man United now have "as good a chance of winning the Champions League as Man City", purely on the basis that they "wouldn't collapse like Man City did against Liverpool." Spurs" could go far if they avoid injuries" but Liverpool "haven't got a hope in hells chance" because we "simply can't defend".

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
I like him, he's a genuine eccentric and Isn't as agenda driven like a lot of pundits.

Don’t be fooled the man hates us! Always has, because Souness said Crooks’ hero (Hoddle) wasn’t good enough to play for Liverpool
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
SKY had a no commentary option using the Red Button, SKY also had Fanzone which was hilarious at times.

They soon got rid when they realised how many were choosing not to listen the Tyler, Smith Gray and Gibbon Gloves
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
went for phil Neville, painful to listen to.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Sunday Supplement discussing diversity and race. Ah the irony.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
In an age where punditry is down the toilet with the absolute ego overload onboard (that list in the poll is just a nightmare), lets all spare a thought for the passing of a true legend, Jimmy Armfield.

What a pro, what a gentleman. Well informed, wiser than all of them on that list put together yet incredibly humble with it.

RIP Jimmy.

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry if it's already linked, but let's all bask in the glory of Martin Tyler's crestfallen reaction to VVD's winner:

https://streamable.com/z0o2d

Now try to imagine what he would sound like if a Manchester United defender who'd just signed for a world record fee had just headed in a late winner against City, or us...or even Stevenage. He would have lifted the roof by himself and not stopped going on about it for 10 minutes.

Well then, it will be interesting to hear what reaction he has if Sanchez scores against Yeovil on Friday. I can’t see him doing anything other than creaming his kecks, with a “Welcome to Manchester United!” screamed at top volume thrown in for good measure.

Wembley might get flooded with Tyler’s spunk should he score against Spurs next week as well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:44:48 pm by Kekuleyule y'all! »