Author Topic: The Best Player We missed out on in recent years?  (Read 12058 times)

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
The Best Player We missed out on in recent years?
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:54 pm »
Dani Alves: the best player in the world (well, after Leo Messi)                                         He might only be a right-back, but Barcelona's Dani Alves would be the world's best player if it wasn't for a certain Argentinian                                                           [Sid Lowe, Guardian Unlimited]

Dani Alves, the world's second best player.
                              Madrid didn't want him, Liverpool didn't want him enough, and Chelsea wouldn't pay for him. After all, they reasoned, he's only a full-back. Forget dark and brooding or squeaky-clean: he doesn't do adverts, has a cheeky grin rather than a winning smile, a wife not a WAG, and couldn't pout if his life depended on it. He came to Europe for a million euros when that wasn't a million pounds, isn't the outstanding man for his club, doesn't play regularly for his country, and didn't get a single vote at the Fifa World player awards. Not even from the representative from Guam, who was too busy pencilling in the words Frank and Lampard. Hell, even Cameroon captain Rigobert Song preferred to spoil his ballot paper than vote for him.
But don't let that fool you. Because Dani Alves is still the world's best player. Well, maybe not the best. That's Leo Messi. And that's also the point. Because while in Brazil they giggled at the unlikeliest of metrosexuals, commenting more on the six tubs of facial cream Alves had confiscated at the airport than the six touches he had on the pitch last time he travelled thousands of miles for a handful of international minutes, while he got ignored by Fifa's judges and France Football's correspondents, while he'd never launch a Cristiano-esque crusade – Gazzetta today, L'Equipe tomorrow, Kicker the day after - and while, above all, the eulogies fall on the unbelievably brilliant Messi, Alves has built a case to be considered the world's second best player.
From right-back.
And right-wing. And just about everywhere else. Roman Abramovich decided €30m was too much for a defender but Alves is not just a defender. He's a one-man band wearing cymbals on his knees, a drum on his back, Johnny Cash's harmonica strapped to his gob and Barça sweatbands on his wrists like a 10-year-old suffering a Peter Withe fixation. He offers killer passes and crunching tackles: a screeching lunatic kid, perfect technician, tactical genius and - let's face it - sneaky little cheat, all wrapped into one hyperactive ball. A footballing Sonic the Hedgehog.
You've got to love him. Or least you would have to if you weren't so busy loving Leo. Take this weekend. It was the first game of the season's second half and Barcelona had broken more records than Toxteth O'Grady: more points than any other team ever, the biggest lead ever, and the best debutant coach in Pep Guardiola. They'd completed over 2,000 more passes than anyone else, had more corners, more shots, and conceded the fewest goals, scoring a staggering 59 as well as hitting 17 posts – more posts than Espanyol have goals, enough to have given then a 100% record.
Something, though, was missing. And not just defeat for Madrid, who scraped another win off Raúl's ear. Barcelona sought revenge on Numancia, the only side to beat them. They also sought reassurance after the sinister shadow that saw off Ramón Calderón cast a cloud over Catalunya. Florentino Pérez, said Marca, would soon make a comeback – with Messi under his arm. All it would take is a little persuasion and his buy-out clause: €150m (plus 46% tax). That Marca talked it up was no surprise; the consternation it caused in Catalunya was. They actually took it seriously. The charmingly titled crappingyourselfometer appeared to be firing up again. Suddenly, they were spitting denials, shooting evils at that geezer looking at their bird, and begging like terrified lovers. It couldn't have been more desperate if they'd stalked Messi round Sainsbury's or spent the small hours tearfully breathing down the phone, silently picking the petals off a daisy.
So, when Messi scored the opener for a struggling Barça with a clever flick four minutes into the second half, they breathed a sigh of relief. When he kissed the Barcelona badge, they went all gooey. When he scored another, provided an assist and was denied a hat-trick by the bar, leading them in a brilliant 45 minutes that finished 4-1 and eclipsed a ropey first in which, but for the ref, they would have been trailing, they were doing cartwheels. And when he insisted he'd "never leave", they were dancing through a summer meadow.
"We Love You Messi", simpered Sport's cover, its editor declaring "Messi's kiss not just any kiss", and "this won't be like Figo because Messi is nether a money grabber nor a gypsy". Mundo Deportivo emblazoned "Messi Barcelona" across its front page. And Joan Laporta was losing the plot. "They're trying to destabilise us," he ranted, "and Madrid have an unfair advantage because they have the support of institutions we all pay for – especially the Catalans." "Messi," he added, "proves he's happy with brilliant performances every game."
He was half right. Messi was brilliant again. But amid the dreamy eulogies, another decisive performance from Alves went relatively unnoticed. The Brazilian is the only consistent starter who wasn't there last season when they finished 18 points behind Madrid. Now they are 12 ahead. That's not to say he's responsible – Guardiola's been immensely impressive, Eto'o's scored 19 in 19, Henry is winning not whining, Xavi controls games, and Iniesta's touch and vision is wonderful – but his contribution has been colossal. He's buried the mistaken belief that Barça need defenders who defend – a belief that saw off Belletti and took the balance and element of surprise with it - and has brought dynamism, bite and desire, helping inject life into a moribund mob.
In September, Alves insisted he wouldn't be the Sevilla Alves. Under Guardiola's guidance, he's been better - and he was pretty good before. It's no coincidence he's played more minutes than anyone else or that Barcelona's right wing has delivered three times as many goals as the left, with the full-back providing 10 assists. Not just any assists either, key assists: assists that opened the scoring against Valladolid, saw off Betis 3-2, equalised against Getafe and Osasuna, and broke Saturday's deadlock. But it wasn't just that Alves produced a brilliant flick and headed pass for Messi. It was that Barça turned to him in need, that in the opening four minutes of the half, they'd already speared five balls his way.
For all their collective brilliance, Barcelona have been accused of Messi-dependency. But who wouldn't depend on him? And, besides, Messi's not alone. He might be just a right-back, he might not be glamorous and he might not even be the best player in the team, but right now Daniel Alves might just be the second best player in the world.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
Re: The Best Player We missed out on in recent years?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »
diving little toerag. don't like him.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:39:43 pm »
david villa 7 mil from zarragossa
he chose valencia

Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:39:50 pm »

Upgrade on Degen though?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »

Oh well that's that. We can't do with anyone like that in our team eh.

Reading that Alves article is annoying. The club dropped a bollock with that one. Oh well, move on really.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:33 pm »
The best player we missed yesterday - Heskey
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline cork-kop

• Boys Pen
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 01:47:04 pm »
Lads, Vidic has to be one of the best we missed out on. The man is having playing unbelievable with the mancs this season.

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:49:52 pm »
The best player we missed yesterday - Heskey

maybe shouldnt have let HIm go...nor....

dont suppose many will agree, because of his "rep" but I stated before GH let him go that I felt Anelka would have brought us PL success (which looked certain at the end of the 01/02 season) top scorer this season?

its another reason why when people talk about selling too early , its necessary to give strikers time (RK!)
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline Hemal

• Legacy Fan
  • I saw Elvis. He sat between me & Bigfoot on a UFO.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 01:50:16 pm »
Ronaldo
Make mine a large

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »
david villa 7 mil from zarragossa
he chose valencia

or Ronaldo, we had a deal in place and fucked it up. United got him and now the best player in the world.

Thought after his first season most on here, had he signed would have wanted him fucking off.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 01:55:17 pm »
Alves would have transformed our team completely, I have no doubt.  In fact stick him in our squad at the start of this season and I reckon we'd have turned 75% of our draws into wins.

Not so recent, but missing out on Desailly must be pretty high on the list.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 01:55:25 pm »
'World's stickiest bogey?'

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:11 pm »
why do we keep missing out on these people ?
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »
Ronaldo

It has to be this greasy little gobshite without a doubt.
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »
Ronaldo, Villa, Alves & Vidic.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58:25 pm »
Didier Baptiste
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline riise6

• Legacy Fan
  • the wee man!!
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58:43 pm »
villa,ronaldo and vidic half the united team haha still wankers the lot of them tho
"Liverpool is the most successful football club in English football history. It exists to win things for its supporters. It deserves to be in the hands of people who support it, who understand its history and legend and who share the enthusiasm and passion of its fans."DIC...
Ball's in your court now, G&H

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 02:01:55 pm »
Ronaldo
Villa
Alves
Vidic.

Offline aedge659

• Legacy Fan
  • Through wind and rain..
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 02:02:15 pm »
Alves, ronaldo, Villa....you think we'd still be on 19 now?

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »
Fowler said in his autobiography that Roy Evans tried to get Sheringham before he went to Man U. Probably in place of Collymore. But the board wouldn't give him the cash.

That wouldn't have been too bad.

Also Jari Litmanen, the first time before he went to Barca. It seemed a fucking nailed on certainty that he was coming to us then.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
Lads, Vidic has to be one of the best we missed out on. The man is having playing unbelievable with the mancs this season.

Maybe but recent set piece mishaps aside we have 4 very solid centre backs so although Vidic is a quality player isn't the one we missed out on the most in my view. I wouldn't even have gone for Ronaldo - no guarentee he would have turned out the same way under Houllier or even Rafa.  Alves would have given us an extra dimension either at RB or RM. I think he's the one who could have had the biggest impact on how we play. Ah well.

Offline Graham Cahalane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 02:06:39 pm »
             Reina

Alves  Carra  Vidic  Insua

Ronaldo Gerrard Masch / Alonso Reira

Torres  Villa

Wouldnt have been a bad ol team......

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 02:06:47 pm »

I mean Ronaldo in place of Dirk Kuyt doesn't bear thinking about but I think, as has been said, Dani Alves would have transformed our right flank, we may have had fewer clean sheets but more wins though..

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »
Also Jari Litmanen, the first time before he went to Barca. It seemed a fucking nailed on certainty that he was coming to us then.

Good call. Shame he didn't come to us from Ajax because he was on his prime back then. At Barcelona he spent a lot of time on the bench and was injured quite often.

Offline Hemal

• Legacy Fan
  • I saw Elvis. He sat between me & Bigfoot on a UFO.
Make mine a large

Offline Livid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 02:10:58 pm »
I wouldn't even have gone for Ronaldo - no guarentee he would have turned out the same way under Houllier or even Rafa.

Don't think Benitez would have had the same patience as Fergie with Ronaldo. He was often carried by the team and had next to no end product at all during his first season or two. Wouldn't be the player he is now.
If it bothers you that much that your wife couldn't join the 'Coloured Society', I suggest you divorce your wife and marry a black woman.  Problem solved.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 02:10:59 pm »
Ronaldo has to be the top of this list.

At the time due to the state of our defence Desailly was a big one.

Not sure if we missed out so much as changed our minds but i though Rosicky was a missed opportunity as well (if he could stay fit).

If you believed reports we were in for Evra as well (along with Vidic). All big losses when you think about it.

Imagine this for a team:

Reina

Alves           Carra       Agger           Evra

Masch       Alonso

Ronaldo              Gerrard             Rosicky

Torres
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 02:11:51 pm »
Samuel Eto'o. If memory serves me correct he was touting a move to the pool whilst at Mallorca saying it would be his dream to partner owen up front. Not sure if we made any enquiries though!

Offline Bazmeen

• Anny Roader
  • Let me tell you the story of a poor boy
    • Dollymount FC - Official Site
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:58 pm »
Didier Baptiste

Ha ha, yeah he went on to be a savage player for Harchester !
Fuck the Meek.................The Meek aint gonna inherit shit !

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 02:13:40 pm »
'World's stickiest bogey?'

toxteth o grady
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 02:14:18 pm »
Ronaldo
Villa
Alves
Vidic.

and evra too apparently.  good old coco.  nothing like sitting on your hands when there's work to be done...

even more irritating that three of them ended up at our key rivals.

bah!

Offline Andy**

• It's as big as Parry's head!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 02:15:34 pm »
Souness was offered Cantona but thought against it.

Would have been a great signing for us and maybe might have stopped the mancs becoming what they are today!  :-\
Dance on you crazy diamond......

Offline JDM

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 02:16:39 pm »
To be honest, if we would have signed Ronaldo under Houllier, he wouldn't be here now due to the style of football we played.  Being slightly controversial, if Rafa had signed him, do you honestly think he would be playing like he does now?

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 02:18:01 pm »
Simao for me, I think Alves is over rated. Very good player but seocnd best player in the world behind Messi? Do me a favour.

I think we needed and still do need Simao, for either flank.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 02:19:18 pm »
There's a fucking list and a half:

Ronaldo
Villa
Alves
Simao
Aguero
Vidic
Desailly
Rosicky
Malouda
Milito (Gabi)

Practically a whole team.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »
Barry? :P

Ha ha ok seriously. Of modern times, Alves without a doubt.....£10 fucking million we baulked at (even Del Nido's quote "we are 15% away from an agreement") for a role that we've so sorely lacked for ages, and one we eventually filled with Pennant. Not to mention spending £9-point-something million for Dirk Kuyt a few weeks later. Not to mention refusing to resurrect the deal for Berbatov at the same time. 2006 was not a vintage year by any means.

Of 'ancient' times, it has to be Michael Laudrup - twice we 'almost' signed him, first time ('81ish) he'd all but signed until a late glitch on the length of the contract caused his agent/father to walk out of talks at Anfield and call Cruyff at Barca. And then when he was leaving there ('87ish), he was quoted as saying "I'll almost certainly sign for Liverpool next" before changing his mind and opting for Juve. A fantastic player, probably the best AM (Kenny aside) I ever saw live, even to me as a kid, the genius this guy had was obvious.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 02:22:41 pm »
There was also Figo who Inter Milan got a decent season or two out of.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 02:23:55 pm »
Oh and Vidic doesn't count - as our 'second choice' turned out to be an equally world class CB.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 02:24:59 pm »
There was also Figo who Inter Milan got a decent season or two out of.
Can't blame him for letting his wife make the final decision though ;)

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 02:28:22 pm »
We should have paid what Independiente wanted for Aguero.