Author Topic: The Best Player We missed out on in recent years?  (Read 12079 times)

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Best Player We missed out on in recent years?
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »
Would love Dani Alves here.. He is such a threat down the flank..
I would without hestiation say, if we had Dani Alves draws against Stoke x2, Fulham, Everton, Hull, West Ham and the loss against Spurs would have been wins. Thats how much I rate him.. Absolutely quality player.. And the thought of us missing out on him cause 1-2 mil £ is on unbearable

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2009, 04:58:32 pm »
regret we didn't get Essien myself, him and SG in midfield would have been a recipe for banging the goals in.
Keeping the faith

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2009, 04:59:40 pm »
but agree wholseheartedly Alves would have been one top drawer purchase
Keeping the faith

Offline Toni Montana

• Kemlynite
  • Say hello to my little friend!
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2009, 05:14:22 pm »
Dani Alves in without doubt, The best player that Rafa ever missed out on. I will never forget the summer {post Istanbul} All summer long, it was clear that he was Rafa's number one target. Rafa had the vision to sign him up from Sevilla and play him as a right winger, not as a full back.

I was a big fan of Alves then and was sure he would end up as a Liverppol player, however Parry clung to the purse strings and would not meet Del Nido's asking price of 10Mill. The best we could do was offer 9Mill.
Thats the worst part, we missed out on one of the most promising players in european football before he became a household name for the sake of 1Mill. Anyway the transfer never materialised and Parry sanctioned the signing of Pennant followed by Kuyt instead. This is a great example why Rafa should be able to buy who he wants with his transfer budget.

Offline desikasanova

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2009, 05:21:58 pm »
i think the topic was about players we missed out on.. not players we were linked with for a day or 2 :p

Offline cevans16

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »
Ronaldo
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2009, 05:49:55 pm »
i think the topic was about players we missed out on.. not players we were linked with for a day or 2 :p

It'll be hard to prove conclusively either way to be honest. It's pretty much hear say and press speculation that alot of these are based on!

Offline stevieg987

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2009, 06:07:42 pm »
Hmmm this list is of players I remember we were linked to for more the a couple days and could've possibly happened..

Alves- Most obvious mis-step
Simao
Villa- Chose Valencia
Quaresma
Vidic- Manc c*nts
Evra
Ashley Young- Everyone was furious abuot us being linked to him
Ibrahimovic- We were linked to him after juve scandal but got kuyt
Aguero- It seemed like a shout to get him we had first choice but passed
Ronaldo- Had a deal in place like Vidic.

We nearly could've had a world XI with the players we at least according to the press we were in for.
YNWA

Offline stanleylhs

• Anny Roader
  • Oh Sami Sami!
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2009, 06:08:08 pm »
Didn't Houllier want Essien in 2003 but the board refused to sanction a deal and Gerard planned on sending him back out on loan for one season? Am sure i've heard that a few times
Yes, Houllier confirmed this in the "World Soccer" magazine when he was still in charge of Lyon.

Essien did came to Melwood to take a look of our facilities and was really impressed by the English facilities,
as the deal couldn't work out, we ended up helping Chelsea to persuade him to come to England  :butt

The best player we missed yesterday - Heskey
maybe shouldnt have let HIm go...nor....

dont suppose many will agree, because of his "rep" but I stated before GH let him go that I felt Anelka would have brought us PL success (which looked certain at the end of the 01/02 season) top scorer this season?

its another reason why when people talk about selling too early , its necessary to give strikers time (RK!)
as from the same interview, GH sold Heskey because he thinks he would get John Carew from Roma so Heskey will not be needed, as GH gone, the deal collapsed and John Carew quickly became Lyon player after GH became their manager

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2009, 06:13:55 pm »
Alves was a big miss.  The only saving grace is that he didn't go to Utd last summer (there was every possibility) and chose Barca.

I don't consider the David Villa one as a big miss as we wouldn't have got Torres if we'd already had him.

Vidic was also a big miss but is overlooked now because we are pretty sorted in central defence.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline sam-g-

• Kemlynite
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 06:32:58 pm »
Werent we in for Ronaldo but the mancs nicked him at the last. He may be a c*nt but you wouldnt say no to 40 odd goals a season

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 06:35:56 pm »
2003 according to thommo we missed out on ronaldo (for a quarter of what utd paid) aswell as terry and shearer

2005 we were in for berbatov, lazy prick i know but a great lazy prick none the less.

vidic was another. in 2002 im still convinced we could have done great things had we used the diouf diao and cheyrou budget to buy damien duff only. that team cried out for him.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 06:40:56 pm »
Frank Worthington  8)
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 06:41:38 pm »
Frank Worthington  8)

too bad he fell foul of the hard stuff

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 06:43:46 pm »
Le Sulk (Anelka)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 06:45:00 pm »
Le Sulk (Anelka)

seemed happier here than at any other club he was at in england. not sure how long that would have lasted. would have been 40 times the player el hadgi wanker was

Offline Mooncat Sundog

• Kemlynite
  • Not since yesterday has today been so fine!
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 06:50:33 pm »
Quite simply it has to be C. Ronaldo.  Somebody posted earlier what our team could be if we had bought players we had been interested in.  My take

Reina

Alves        Carra             Agger        Evra

Jefecito        Gerrard   

Ronaldo             Berbatov             Simao

Torres

With Alonso, Babel, Skrtel, Hyypia, Keane on the bench and we would be laughing./ if only we benfitted from hindsight.
Yes you can quote me on that.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »
Quite simply it has to be C. Ronaldo.  Somebody posted earlier what our team could be if we had bought players we had been interested in.  My take

Reina

Alves        Carra             Agger        Evra

Jefecito        Gerrard  

Ronaldo             Berbatov             Simao

Torres

With Alonso, Babel, Skrtel, Hyypia, Keane on the bench and we would be laughing./ if only we benfitted from hindsight.

dont rememberbeing linked with evra

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 06:55:45 pm »
i think if rafa had of drafted in albelda and baraja when he came we would of won the league a few years ago.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:37 pm »
oh and the greatest player we missed was van basten by the way.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2009, 06:57:36 pm »
Le Sulk (Anelka)

This is the main one for me because we 100% could have had him. But for some fucking bizarre reason, no doubt down to Coco as per, we didn't get him, and got that c*nt Diouf instead for, probably, a heftier price.
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2009, 07:00:12 pm »
Vyvyen, Britain?

It says 'Rick' here.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2009, 07:01:13 pm »
I don't consider the David Villa one as a big miss as we wouldn't have got Torres if we'd already had him.
Strange people talk about missing Villa when he left Tenerife and went to Valencia. If only some knew how close we allegedly came to signing him much more recently :butt
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2009, 07:02:14 pm »
This is the main one for me because we 100% could have had him. But for some fucking bizarre reason, no doubt down to Coco as per, we didn't get him, and got that c*nt Diouf instead for, probably, a heftier price.
Don't be soft, that was Ged's decision 100%. Admits it and regrets it.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2009, 07:08:23 pm »
Strange people talk about missing Villa when he left Tenerife and went to Valencia. If only some knew how close we allegedly came to signing him much more recently :butt

Really?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline TLT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2009, 07:09:46 pm »
As much as I hat the prick, it has to be Ronaldo. No doubting the kids talent. We pretty much had him signed.

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:33 pm »
michael laudrup back in the late 70s,  or that too far back?  suppose roy keane had he come to us instead of them?   its more likely why the hell did a certain reds manager buy such utter shite?
As an auld arse meself that was first name that sprung to mind when saw thread title, what a miss that was - something to do with him wanting longer contract than we were offering. Can't blame that one on Coco tho'.

Offline TimeForARafavolution

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »
I've followed football since 1990-91 and to me I think the most intersting era to look at would be the late 80s when our grip on English football must have been slipping.

I remember reading about when Gascoigne became available in 1988 and Spurs and Utd were in a bidding war. Don't know how he would have fitted into the team or whether it would he would have caused too much trouble (Whiskey nose still regrets not signing him) but it seems remarkable that the outstanding English talent of the time became available and we basically weren't interested. The impact of being out of European competition, I guess.

In the times I can remember, Cantona stands out. He wasn't expensive (what was Wilkinson playing at?) was a great talent who could have worked really well with Rush and later Fowler and to cap it all he was great for the Mancs. As Martin Edwards said, Cantona was the catalyst for their success post 92.  Still the main problem for our side in the nineties was the defence. We had the attacking players to win the league. We kept spending money on defenders but it didn't really work. Babb, Scales, Ruddock. Mark Wright was always picking up injuries. Don't know who we might have picked up. Dalglish took Colin Hendry to Blackburn.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:24:27 pm by TimeForARafavolution »

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2009, 07:28:56 pm »
Laudrup,think it was Michael.
Gazza,the board turned Kenny down then changed there mind and Gazza wanted to come.But Spurs had got the deal sorted with Newcastle.
We inquired about Walcott but thought we would wait till he was older.Then the following season he went for silly money to the gooners.
Sir Bobby Robson no less says this player was the best all round footballer he has worked with,who am i to argue.Kevin Beattie,Ipswich Town.Shanks was livid when we missed out on him,missed the bloody train then when he did eventually get to Lime St,there was nobody there to meet him.So he went back to Carlisle and Ipswich signed him up.Did Parry's Dad used work for us in the 70s?
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2009, 07:32:46 pm »
The worst bit was deciding Aguero was too young or not proven! Then we went and bought Babel with the same criteria and now we can't ever afford Aguero.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2009, 07:39:58 pm »
The worst bit was deciding Aguero was too young or not proven! Then we went and bought Babel with the same criteria and now we can't ever afford Aguero.

They wanted 15million for him which would mean we'd not have money left for other players.  Smart move by Rafa to be honest.  Bad move if you're playing FM.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline pelevin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »
Kevin Kilbane, Paul McShane
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:50:43 pm by pelevin »

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »
They wanted 15million for him which would mean we'd not have money left for other players.  Smart move by Rafa to be honest.  Bad move if you're playing FM.
Hadn't realised the price, thought it was more like £10m but cheers. I'm trying to remember what year it was?
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:50 pm »
Anyone who doesnt say Ronaldo is a divvy
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline pelevin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2009, 08:10:12 pm »
Anyone who doesnt say Ronaldo is a divvy

Ronaldo is a divvy

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2009, 09:56:19 pm »
Eric Cantona.

Souness turned him down because he was worried of his professionalism.

Offline Sid7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »
Ronaldo....

Vidic...

Alves...

Take your pick...
And I'll hammer my point home again - you're worrying about nothing and making yourself look stupid.
- After Manchester City takeover by the  Abu Dhabi United Group

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2009, 10:03:19 pm »
Daniel Alves.

After Messi Ronaldo and Torres, I'd have him as the best player in the world, even at right back.

He's phenomenal.
hi

Offline WILL_LFC

• Boys Pen
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2009, 10:19:12 pm »
If Ronaldo had signed for Liverpool under Houllier, he would now be a defensive right midfielder / wing-back!!

The step overs and tricks would have been drilled out of him within 1/2 a season and any ounce of ability left within 1 year.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:41 am »
Why does everyone think Parry is to blame for every single bad transfer we make?? I doubt parry pics players, he chooses the price and contract neogations thats it, Was ged's fault we didnt get le sulk nobody elses