Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 130010 times)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1240 on: June 16, 2023, 03:04:58 pm »
Restarted watching TNG . I think all my memories of it were from the first series!

Nice to see a young(ish) Michelle Phillips pop up and also the precursor to the plot/conspiracy of the latest Picard series.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1241 on: June 16, 2023, 03:13:09 pm »
Restarted watching TNG . I think all my memories of it were from the first series!

Nice to see a young(ish) Michelle Phillips pop up and also the precursor to the plot/conspiracy of the latest Picard series.

Season 1 is kinda rough for the most part, considering how good it became after. Possibly because Gene Roddenberry was still very hands-on.

Still much better than Picard S1 and S2 ofc.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1242 on: June 21, 2023, 03:50:30 pm »
Finally got round to watching season 3 of Picard, brilliant first episode.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1243 on: June 22, 2023, 08:21:27 pm »
SNW S02E02

Spoiler
The result of the court martial was all the more satisfying thanks to the predicated being a Daniel Levy lookalike.
[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1244 on: June 27, 2023, 10:10:51 pm »
SNW S02E02

Spoiler
The result of the court martial was all the more satisfying thanks to the predicated being a Daniel Levy lookalike.
[close]

Good strong start for Season 2 of SNW. Long may that continue. Episode 3 looks intriguing too.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1245 on: July 8, 2023, 09:16:52 am »
i was gonna write my thoughts on this shite, but, not worth my time and the link below says it all anyway. If you dont know the guy talking, he knows more about this shit than we've all forgot, i know some very informed trekkies and consider myself one of them, but this dude is something else and can articulate it far better than i can, and if you're inclined to explore the subject, it's better than reading a fuck long post that i was gonna write (there's a preamble, just skip on the bottom bar to SNW).

if you like the show dont bother watching it, it wont be for you

if you've looked in the thread having probs with the show and wonder what the hell they're doing, eg spock for instance, wtf is this shit? if that's the case and you're a trekkie nerd, it's probably right up your alley. it has spoilers, you've been warned, but breaks down how this isn't star trek, which comes as no surprise after the good star trek of Picard S3 we've gone right back to writers who just dont get it or understand it. just cos things look similar doesn't make them the same thing. is it as bad as STD? nope, i dont think that's possible but boy, it's still so wide of the mark, which is a pity with a good cast of characters and actors. another huge missed opportunity.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/J6RXhw3frXY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/J6RXhw3frXY</a>

btw, this isn't a swipe at any who enjoy it, hell some people liked she-hulk and velma and even blood origins, literally the three worst thing in tv i've ever seen. so each to their own. but the breakdown is very informative and fair and most of all, totally accurate. plus he's a nice guy and not one of those smelling his own farts 'experts'.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2023, 10:04:07 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: July 9, 2023, 06:31:33 am »
You want people to watch a 150 minute whine about how SNW isn’t Star Trek? Good luck with that.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #1247 on: July 9, 2023, 01:04:52 pm »
You want people to watch a 150 minute whine about how SNW isn’t Star Trek? Good luck with that.

You've taken the words right out of my mouth

Had thought I'd give it a watch to try to understand the other side but I don't have the better part of 3 hours to spare to be told how something I like isn't part of something else I like

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1248 on: July 10, 2023, 08:42:43 pm »
I watched the free trailer and enjoyed it enough to be taking part in the half price trial of paramount plus.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: July 10, 2023, 08:51:33 pm »
It’s literally great. Anson Mount is a classic trek captain, the cast are fresh and gel together - it has a great mix of sci-if, comedy and horror (the Gorn episode in the crashed ship is outstanding and reminded me of some great TNG/Voyager eps).

Don’t get the mindset of people furiously doing 3 hour tapes of why a new show that isn’t exactly like a show 50 years ago means everything is awful.

There was 20 years without a new episode of Star Trek and there’s been hundreds since. We had six months with an episode every week or so.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1250 on: July 15, 2023, 10:43:06 pm »

S2x05 of SNW was great fun, a really enjoyable 'lighter' episode. Played very well by all, especially the actor playing Spock ;D
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: July 15, 2023, 11:13:10 pm »
S2x05 of SNW was great fun, a really enjoyable 'lighter' episode. Played very well by all, especially the actor playing Spock ;D

Not watched Ep5 yet but I do like that actor as Spock.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1252 on: July 16, 2023, 01:06:11 pm »

Yeah was a good episode and fun, fuck haters :D

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1253 on: July 16, 2023, 03:29:07 pm »
Imagine making a 2 hour and 20 minute video about something you dislike cos "it's not what I think it should be" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Or imagine taking the time to watch it for the same reason ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Loving SNW, cast are awesome, they must go through some fucking hairspray mind!

I enjoyed Picard overall but I was disappointed in the last season. Now I have loads of love for TNG, it was tea time viewing for what seemed like years growing up, but I was enjoying Picard being it's own show. As soon as Frakes showed up, straddling chairs and resting his foot in inappropriate places...their was an instance change in tone...it was just TNG again.

And that didn;t take over 2 hours to write or produce ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: July 23, 2023, 02:41:12 am »
For those that do like SNW…the seventh episode was released today, it was the one I was most looking to, and it did not disappoint, absolutely amazing!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: July 23, 2023, 01:37:03 pm »
Cool to have 2 episodes in 2 days, had no idea a cross over was coming, it was absolutely brilliant ;D 8)

Online Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: July 23, 2023, 03:45:42 pm »
Tempted to subscribe to the absolute joke YouTube page above where middle aged men rant about tv shows in anticipation of their reaction to a musical episode coming up…

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1257 on: July 23, 2023, 04:18:32 pm »

Really liked that last episode (2x07) - this season has been a fun ride so far.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: July 24, 2023, 12:54:51 am »
I’m a big nudge to the fourth wall in episode 7,

Spoiler
Rebecca Romijn was a pin-up girl, you’d have to say, and Commander Ransom who complimented the poster is voiced by her husband.
[close]

The episode has to go down as one of the most fun and best ST episodes ever, up there with tribble episodes. And considering they’re up around 900 episodes, it’s a big compliment.

The next one is a musical, and I don’t usually care for those, so we will see.

The one after is what the cast has called the best episode of SNW, so really looking forward to that.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: July 24, 2023, 02:20:16 pm »
Tempted to subscribe to the absolute joke YouTube page above where middle aged men rant about tv shows in anticipation of their reaction to a musical episode coming up…

Literally the only reason I persisted with the horror of Picard S2 (after the utter abomination of S1) was so that I could appreciate the Red Letter Media take-down of it. And I initially only started S3 for the same reason only to realise it was actually really good.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: July 25, 2023, 11:36:46 am »

Having faithfully watched TNG, DS9 and Voyager when they came out, I bailed halfway through Enterprise, largely through boredom. Never bothered with the later franchises until very recently when I had some time to kill.

So far I've seen Picard S1 which is absolutely terrible with no redeeming features whatsoever. I've heard S3 is good but not sure if I can make it that far.

Also started Discovery. I know it's created debate between purists and non-purists but I actually enjoyed the first couple of series. Very clunky in places but an enjoyable end of evening, easy viewing. Now halfway through S4 and I'm bored out of my mind. I find the whole "the Federation has your best interests at heart" utterly patronising (although I acknowledge that TOS and TNG pushed that trope) and it's beyond parody how only Michael Burnham can save the day, every f*ing time. I find myself backing the world-killing black hole in the hope it will remove her from the galaxy and give someone else a chance to do or say something.

Not tried SNW yet but will certainly do so given the reviews.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #1261 on: July 25, 2023, 11:47:50 am »
Having faithfully watched TNG, DS9 and Voyager when they came out, I bailed halfway through Enterprise, largely through boredom. Never bothered with the later franchises until very recently when I had some time to kill.

So far I've seen Picard S1 which is absolutely terrible with no redeeming features whatsoever. I've heard S3 is good but not sure if I can make it that far.

Also started Discovery. I know it's created debate between purists and non-purists but I actually enjoyed the first couple of series. Very clunky in places but an enjoyable end of evening, easy viewing. Now halfway through S4 and I'm bored out of my mind. I find the whole "the Federation has your best interests at heart" utterly patronising (although I acknowledge that TOS and TNG pushed that trope) and it's beyond parody how only Michael Burnham can save the day, every f*ing time. I find myself backing the world-killing black hole in the hope it will remove her from the galaxy and give someone else a chance to do or say something.

Not tried SNW yet but will certainly do so given the reviews.

S3 of Picard and SNW (so far) would re-new your faith in Trek after a bumpy ride post S2 of Disco. (I think you can jump straight into S3 of Picard as they ditch the rubbish fr0m S1 and S2).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 11:50:11 am by Big Bamber »

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: July 29, 2023, 12:56:50 pm »
Another decent episode SNW 02x08, no idea why some hate it
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 12:58:28 pm by [new username under construction] »

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1263 on: July 29, 2023, 04:58:13 pm »
Another decent episode SNW 02x08, no idea why some hate it

Thought it was a quality episode; asking questions, showing us the differing shades of grey, the darker side of ourselves - and made for some uncomfortable viewing at times - as Trek should from time to time.

The acting all around was again on a high bar - it really drew me into the story and characters... so much so I'm going to have to re-watch it to take everything in. Hats off to all; but especially Jess Bush and Babs Olusanmokun.

Spoiler
I'd put that up there with high quality episodes from DS9 covering the 'on the ground' aspects of the Dominion War, other Trek covering PTSD, and the difficulties involved of recent bitter enemies then working together to become allies; the expectations, morals, and the reality.
[close]

Online Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: July 30, 2023, 10:37:11 pm »
Both actors fantastic in this.

What SNW does better than almost any other Trek bar DS9 is it’s truly an ensemble show so far. Pretty much everyone has had at least one episode and has strong characterisation (Jess Bush’s Chapel is much more rounded than her predecessor for example). Really hope it makes a 5+ series run and makes it all the way to TOS (and, given we already have Spock, Uhura and Chapel and Kirk, why not all the way…)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: July 31, 2023, 08:30:09 pm »
Holy fuck, what an episode! Fantastic from all involved, some amazing performances!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1266 on: August 3, 2023, 09:41:28 am »
I loathe one off musical episodes, and this was no exception. Roll on the finale.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: August 3, 2023, 01:57:41 pm »
I’ve been watching Lower Decks on Prime. Half way through the third season, it’s very enjoyable. Just noticed, however, that Amazon would like me to pay for the second season if I wanted to watch it again. Do they personalise (via algorithm) these things?

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1268 on: August 3, 2023, 07:12:45 pm »
I’ve been watching Lower Decks on Prime. Half way through the third season, it’s very enjoyable. Just noticed, however, that Amazon would like me to pay for the second season if I wanted to watch it again. Do they personalise (via algorithm) these things?

How very strange, I've just checked on mine and Seasons 1 & 2 are on there, free as usual, but Season 3 is listed twice - once free on Prime, and the other one available to purchase.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: August 4, 2023, 11:20:36 am »
How very strange, I've just checked on mine and Seasons 1 & 2 are on there, free as usual, but Season 3 is listed twice - once free on Prime, and the other one available to purchase.

Makes me think it’s just a personalised algorithm because it’s been on my watchlist for a while. Chancing their arms in an annoying fashion.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1270 on: August 4, 2023, 02:06:17 pm »
I loathe one off musical episodes, and this was no exception. Roll on the finale.

Klingons were great though :D

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1271 on: August 6, 2023, 01:39:12 pm »

Not a big fan of musical episodes... yet sat back and thoroughly enjoyed the show (even the Klingons - 'Pataq's Back, Alright!').

If Starfleet doesn't work out for Spock, then he could do a passable Pet Shop Boy tribute act.

Looking forward to the season finale next week - it has been a quality season so far...

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1272 on: August 8, 2023, 08:04:31 am »
For me it has been a bit of a let down. Stories were poor unimaginative. Although I hope the show isn't canceled.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1273 on: September 4, 2023, 02:14:30 pm »
Not a big fan of musical episodes... yet sat back and thoroughly enjoyed the show (even the Klingons - 'Pataq's Back, Alright!').

If Starfleet doesn't work out for Spock, then he could do a passable Pet Shop Boy tribute act.

Looking forward to the season finale next week - it has been a quality season so far...

So, my family have banned me from going to west end shows with them, mainly musicals as I keep falling asleep . Despite the horribly uncomfortable seating.  In theory I should like musicals but I just don't seem to.
The musical episode of SNW confirmed it though. I could not wait for it to finish.  I think because the songs seem to slow down the story line so much I find it massively irrititating.  Horses for courses the.

I'm surprised nobody in here is talking about the S2 finale. I rather enjoyed it. Disappointed there's no S3 available yet .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: September 12, 2023, 12:38:53 pm »
Just finished binging Picard s3 and Oh My i liked it so much!

Just wonderful seeing the old cast together again once more like this and that the spark was still there,with competent writing giving the actors a good backbone to work on,particularly liked beside Patrick's Jonathan Frakes's performance,Amanda Plummer as Captain Vadic was a great villain (i think the best in recent Trek i've seen,worthy of her dad's General Chang) with quite a deep character which could've been studied more and the next next generation's also done quite well.

Only minor gripe for me was i felt like the Borg angle was a bit of an afterthought,was very happy with just going with the Changeling plotline and taking it further perhaps but still loved it and was suitably emotional when the cast sat down to play some poker in the end,felt like the actors enjoyed working together throughout.

That was some great proper Star Trek for me.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: September 12, 2023, 01:57:51 pm »
First two episodes of Lower Decks are out. Even if you don’t watch, you might enjoy the first one if you’re a Voyager fan.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: October 25, 2023, 08:25:31 am »
Just got to the musical episode of SNW. Probably the most Star Trek thing they’ve done to date. I even forgave the auto tune and bad lyrics.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: October 25, 2023, 08:33:07 am »
Just got to the musical episode of SNW. Probably the most Star Trek thing they’ve done to date. I even forgave the auto tune and bad lyrics.
God. Ive just finished councelling for that. Sadly not with Deanna.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: October 25, 2023, 10:19:20 pm »
Ha! I’m still torn on it. I liked how bonkers it was, in a way reminiscent of TNG. I’m a massive music fan but not overly fond of most musical theatre. I’ve a lot of love for this show so I’ll forgive it the odd indulgence.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1279 on: November 26, 2023, 09:28:26 am »
Lower Decks has quietly become a fantastic little show, a worthy part of the TNG-Era stories. It's got the same sort of outlook as The Orville in that there's a light-hearted face of the show overlaying serious plots & stories. They do such a great job weaving in bits of the 90s shows that it never feels forced, and doing it via animation allows you to hide the fact that Robert Duncan McNeill is about 20 years older than Nick Locarno should be.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?