Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 130022 times)

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1120 on: March 6, 2023, 08:52:25 pm »
I’m doing a DS9 rewatch at the moment myself.

Yeah, couldn’t sit through one and two again, so I googled the good or important episodes, maybe watched 8 from those two seasons each. But doing all episodes from 3 onwards.

I used this guide.

Although if I’d never watched it, I would watch them all.

https://mashable.com/article/star-trek-deep-space-nine-condensed-how-to-watch-the-most-story-driven-trek-1613741
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1121 on: March 6, 2023, 09:47:10 pm »
Thing is, I never watched the first 3 or 4 series..

So I never had a clue what’s was going on when I did watch it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: March 7, 2023, 01:05:39 am »
Thing is, I never watched the first 3 or 4 series..

So I never had a clue what’s was going on when I did watch it.

Ha, yeah, you need at least three and four.

I watched from the beginning, but moved countries and missed quite a few from the last five seasons, so I’m looking forward to completing. My impression has always been that the orb storyline set up in the pilot was largely dropped and they went dominion war instead. I hope I’m wrong, but it’s not great halfway through season 4.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1123 on: March 7, 2023, 07:02:33 am »
The actor that played Gaius in bsg being in series 2 is always quite jarring .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: March 7, 2023, 07:25:47 am »
I’m doing a DS9 rewatch at the moment myself.

Yeah, couldn’t sit through one and two again, so I googled the good or important episodes, maybe watched 8 from those two seasons each. But doing all episodes from 3 onwards.

I used this guide.

Although if I’d never watched it, I would watch them all.

https://mashable.com/article/star-trek-deep-space-nine-condensed-how-to-watch-the-most-story-driven-trek-1613741

I’ve been doing a rewatch and, for the first time in about 20 years actually watching them all.

If I have to sit through the episode where O’Brien is recruited to shout at a cloud then so do you…

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1125 on: March 7, 2023, 01:31:42 pm »

^ I would watch this. Even if it was him just shouting at a cloud...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: March 7, 2023, 06:24:34 pm »
I’ve been doing a rewatch and, for the first time in about 20 years actually watching them all.

If I have to sit through the episode where O’Brien is recruited to shout at a cloud then so do you…

Haha, was that “if wishes were horses”?

And I’m sorry, but I am halfway through season 4, no going back now!

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: March 7, 2023, 06:49:20 pm »
Haha, was that “if wishes were horses”?

And I’m sorry, but I am halfway through season 4, no going back now!

No that's the one with Rumpelstilksin. Haven't reach that one yet...

There are some essentials in Series 1 to 3 (anything that introduces the Dominion, Duet etc) - but the episode/telemovie where Worf is introduced is an absolute game changer.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1128 on: March 8, 2023, 07:08:44 am »
Just finished S2 of Picard .

I've always liked Jeri Ryan , but she suddenly got a lot better since about 6pm on Sunday :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: March 17, 2023, 10:06:25 pm »
Would never have seen the guest star this week coming. Always a character who I felt warranted a return and it was perfectly done. Probably the best character interaction of the whole series.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1130 on: March 19, 2023, 10:35:31 am »
So S3 of Picard is making me even angrier at S1 and S2. We are only getting 3 seasons, and they wasted the first two on utter shite.

S3 is getting better with each episode, the latest one was the best yet. The best episode of Star Trek for at least 20 years in fact.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1131 on: March 19, 2023, 12:17:31 pm »
Starting to really like Shaw :D

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1132 on: March 20, 2023, 03:29:50 pm »
I’ve decided to watch s2 of Picard. Halfway through and, if anything, it’s worse than s1. Who decided that the voyage home rehash crossed with a season long Q story was a good idea?!?! Alison Pill and the late Annie Wersching are the only thing keeping me watching.

She pretty much tows S2 for me, and she was great in S1 as well.

Spoiler
Did not care for her character being sort of killed off midway through.
[close]
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: March 24, 2023, 12:38:01 pm »
That episode was BOSS! Hairs on back of neck awesome.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1134 on: March 24, 2023, 09:20:40 pm »
Episode 6 was nostalgic feel goodness.

Where were the writers on series 1 & 2?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: March 24, 2023, 10:54:08 pm »
Episode 6 was nostalgic feel goodness.

Where were the writers on series 1 & 2?

The whole series is just better and better. So far the legacy actors have been really well used. Frakes just fits Riker like a glove.

Spoiler
The changelings stealing Picards body seems a bit odd - the whole Irumodic Syndrome that him and the kid have must actually be something else? Also interesting they made a point of showing they had Kirk’s body there. Them keeping the bodies is weird - unless they plan to one-up the Michelle Forbes cameo with Shatner…
[close]

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: March 25, 2023, 11:44:04 am »
Picard season 3 knocking it out if the park!

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: March 25, 2023, 12:12:20 pm »
Such a fab episode, loved every minute of it.

Annoying they wasted 2 whole series to get to here though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1138 on: March 25, 2023, 12:13:14 pm »
Really loving Picard. Absolutely excellent.

My favourite character by a country mile is Captain Liam Shaw

He's fucking hilarious :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: March 25, 2023, 04:31:31 pm »
I guess I’m the one dissenting voice, then. I think it’s sitting somewhere between middling and mediocre for me. Loads of fan service and very little story. Oh look, we’ve found another way to bring back data in a convoluted way that explains Brent Spiner aging… there’s an over-reliance on legacy characters.

The opening scene in the latest episode where the pantomime baddie explains the plot in the style of the wicked witch of the west was laughable - absolutely terrible writing.

Out of curiosity, I just binged S4 of discovery. It’s an utter abomination. Took a season to tell a story that TNG would’ve covered in an episode. So whiny and unlikeable. The most annoying thing was that every time there was a time sensitive, critical moment, we’d get a five minute monologue about all their personal anguish and inadequacies, and childhood traumas.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1140 on: March 25, 2023, 06:02:27 pm »
This crew is surely going to get their own show after this?

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1141 on: March 26, 2023, 03:24:36 pm »
I had no love for Picard series one and two.... series three? I love it!
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: March 26, 2023, 03:41:08 pm »
I had no love for Picard series one and two.... series three? I love it!

I think the difference isn’t so much just the legacy characters but it’s actually picking up on unfinished narratives.

DS9 wrapped itself up nicely, but it finished at the end of a war that had left billions dead and saw genocide on both sides and then it’s literally never mentioned again in passing. Nice to see it brought to a head.

Spoiler
Also found the open lack of recognition for the ship Voyager interesting. The kid knew the Defiant, the various Enterprises etc but had no clue about Voyager - and Sevens story obviously went random. Suggests they weren’t really welcomed back with much fanfare…
[close]

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1143 on: March 26, 2023, 03:58:06 pm »
So whiny and unlikeable. The most annoying thing was that every time there was a time sensitive, critical moment, we’d get a five minute monologue about all their personal anguish and inadequacies, and childhood traumas.
Targeted to Gen Z though innit :wave

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1144 on: March 26, 2023, 04:33:45 pm »
This crew is surely going to get their own show after this?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Setting it up nicely for this new set of characters and also leaves the door open for the old characters to cameo now and then

Spoiler

With Picards son as captain, Geordie's daughters as engineer and helmsman (helmsperson?) :D

[close]

Finding the whole series a nice way to say goodbye to some of the characters. Really loving it, I suppose I'm just easily pleased :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 04:52:11 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: March 26, 2023, 08:18:16 pm »
Targeted to Gen Z though innit :wave

The problem is that it's a Gen-X idea of what Gen-Z want to see. I'm yet to meet a Gen-Zer that enjoyed Discovery.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: March 26, 2023, 08:25:32 pm »
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Setting it up nicely for this new set of characters and also leaves the door open for the old characters to cameo now and then

It's painfully obvious that Picard's son is another Mutt Williams. They've thrown him and LaForge Jr in there to gauge audience reaction. Across the three seasons of Picard, the best characters have had no link to legacy characters - Agnes Jurati and Captain Liam Shaw. It's also the reason why TNG was so good - because it didn't rely on characters from the original series (nor their offspring or distant cousins). 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:29:09 pm by thejbs »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1147 on: March 26, 2023, 08:53:27 pm »

Spoiler

With Picards son as captain, Geordie's daughters as engineer and helmsman (helmsperson?) :D

[close]

Seven as captain, demote Shaw to number one. Crusher and La Forge in their parents old positions. Keep Worf around in his old TNG role. Find somewhere for Jaffi.

Bring back the Enterprise, give it a retro futuristic lick of paint.

Boom, you've rebooted TNG!  ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1148 on: March 27, 2023, 09:49:40 am »
The problem is that it's a Gen-X idea of what Gen-Z want to see. I'm yet to meet a Gen-Zer that enjoyed Discovery.

Well I'm Gen X and I loved Discovery

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1149 on: March 27, 2023, 10:59:43 am »
I was enjoying Discovery, certainly better than the first two series of Picard, when it was on Netflix. Lost track of it when it moved though.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: March 27, 2023, 11:03:12 am »
Not sure - I always thought Voyager fell into that category and I loved it. Can't stand Discovery.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1151 on: March 27, 2023, 01:20:11 pm »
Captain Philippa Georgiou (Michael's adopted mother) was a fantastic role by Michelle Yeoh. I enjoyed bits of Discovery and their aliens were decent.

Watching Picard right now, and its good. First season was really really hard to watch, but 2nd, it really picks up.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1152 on: March 27, 2023, 04:22:14 pm »
Well I'm Gen X and I loved Discovery
Are you generation X?

You're loads older than me!

You must mean generation Xtinct!  ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1153 on: March 27, 2023, 05:32:42 pm »
Not sure - I always thought Voyager fell into that category and I loved it. Can't stand Discovery.

Voyager was airing when Gen Z were only starting to be born, so I doubt it. They don't make Star Trek for preschoolers (get your barbs in here about your least favourite Trek show).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: March 27, 2023, 06:58:38 pm »
Voyager was airing when Gen Z were only starting to be born, so I doubt it. They don't make Star Trek for preschoolers (get your barbs in here about your least favourite Trek show).
I dunno........I was probs 30 or so when I really got into Voyager. I was part of an online fan club too called §ev, which was a parody site for sci-fi fans and by sci-fi fans (not a pisstake but a celebration) - most of the peeps on that site were early to late teens. I wouldn't call them Gen X!!!!

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1155 on: March 27, 2023, 07:43:49 pm »
I dunno........I was probs 30 or so when I really got into Voyager. I was part of an online fan club too called §ev, which was a parody site for sci-fi fans and by sci-fi fans (not a pisstake but a celebration) - most of the peeps on that site were early to late teens. I wouldn't call them Gen X!!!!

Gen Z started being born in the mid to late 90s (after the Millennials, who are Gen Y). Voyager started aired from 95-01.

So Voyager can't really be considered to be the same category as something "a Gen-X idea of what Gen-Z want to see"

I'm sure there's a wire crossed somewhere here but not sure where... are you saying that Voyager was a "Boomer" idea of what a Millennial wanted to see? Shifting the generations up one?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: March 27, 2023, 08:11:11 pm »
Nah. I just confuse Gen Z with Millennials. Anyone born after 1980 is hard to relate to. I wonder what that is in stardate format? 🤣

True story though. In 1996, the contact centre I worked at needed a new Head of IT. As a joke, they had the ad translated into Klingon.

We actually received applications back. In Klingon.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:12:44 pm by 24/7-nil »

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: March 27, 2023, 08:34:03 pm »
Nah. I just confuse Gen Z with Millennials. Anyone born after 1980 is hard to relate to. I wonder what that is in stardate format? 🤣

True story though. In 1996, the contact centre I worked at needed a new Head of IT. As a joke, they had the ad translated into Klingon.

We actually received applications back. In Klingon.

:wellin

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: March 28, 2023, 11:45:05 am »
Unfortunately with Picard they wasted two whole seasons, and despite S3 being really good (like I say the last episode was the best ST ep in at least 20 years), one thing that can't be hidden is Patrick Stewart's age and I really don't think he can carry a show anymore.

Now if you told me there would be a S4, with Riker featuring heavily, Picard with the odd cameo, and the rest of the cast as-is (Shaw, Seven, Worf (even with Rafi who is less annoying this season), Dr Crusher, Data-collective and somehow shoe-horn Geordie onto the crew - I would be all over that. Only if they kept the current showrunner/writers though, who finally have displayed that they actually watched ST before.

Picard's son had the potential to be an incredibly annoying character along the lines of the Romulan sword-twat from S1/2, but even he is fitting in well. Fuck those guys who wrote-off two whole seasons before this.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: April 8, 2023, 07:56:55 am »
Fucking hell WOW - what an episode! Get on it ladies and gents.....the two series before of Picard may not have been great, but this is epic!